Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NES Top loader Prototype?

Oct 26, 2008 at 12:19:36 AM
Dr. Morbis (30)
(Basil T) < Kraid Killer >
Alberta
^ Dude, we know it's not a 100% AV famicom That's OBVIOUSLY not an AV Famicom's top half. What I'm saying is that you take the bottom half of the AV fami shell and it's innards and you combine them with the top half of a US toploader and just swap out the fami's 60 pin connector for a 72 pin one and... VIOLA - Thousands of free dollars from some retard on eBay!!!

EDIT - Again, I'm not saying this is a fake, only that it wouldn't be all that tough to make what he's auctioning yourself (in fact, the only difficult part would be finding a way to "cover up" the expansion port on the side of the AV famicom)

-------------------------

My mantra, as worded by SamSpade on 06/12/12:
I don't resell to fund my collection, I don't treat this hobby like a second job, I don't care if my collection is worth ten bucks or ten thousand because I never plan on selling it. Seriously, what does the value have to do with anything if you never plan on selling? Speculation doesn't mean jack shit to me at this point, I just want to play my nes games...

Edited: 10/26/2008 at 12:23 AM by Dr. Morbis

Oct 26, 2008 at 12:27:30 AM
Muthafodder (4)
(Mojo Man) < Meka Chicken >
United States
I don't put anything past anybody...anything is possible to make or were these all available at NOA:

Oh yeah, I've got some oceanfront property in Arizona if your interested.

Oct 26, 2008 at 12:37:37 AM
Johan_1984 (1)
(Johan F) < Cherub >
Sweden
Originally posted by: mb7241

Four reasons why it's *NOT* a modded AV Famicom:

1. The top (light gray) half of an AV Famicom lacks the upward curvature (outward towards you) if you're looking top-down at the system) near the cartridge slot that the standard top-loader NES has. Also, AV Famicoms have the FF/Family Computer logo where the normal Nintendo Entertainment System text would be.

2. The cartridge slots in top-loader NES systems are about 5/16" or so wider than those in AV Famicoms. Also, on the topic of cartridge slots, AV Famicoms have two in-folding doors over the cartridge slot. Top-loader NESes only have one.

3. Note the text "AV OUT" on the back of the top-loader in auction. That would be very difficult to fake without spending some major $$ on getting a new mold made for the plastic.

4. You will also note the absence of the expansion port in the right side of the system. American top-loaders didn't have that, but AV Famicoms did.

One final note...he reduced the price: $2000 start/$3000 BIN. Still a bit high, I think. It would be neat to own one, though .

I doubt the whole housing is modified, but making an authentic looking mod would be easier with the luxury of having only the back piece (the one with the "RF OUT" and DC IN" molded text) replaced with one from an A/V Famicom. But again, I don't know how the back pieces look like on A/V Famicoms, so it would be great to see a picture of it.

Edited: 10/26/2008 at 12:49 AM by Johan_1984

Oct 26, 2008 at 12:50:59 AM
Dr. Morbis (30)
Alberta
^ The back pieces of an AV Famicom look identical to the one in that guy's auction

I don't resell to fund my collection, I don't treat this hobby like a second job, I don't care if my collection is worth ten bucks or ten thousand because I never plan on selling it. Seriously, what does the value have to do with anything if you never plan on selling? Speculation doesn't mean jack shit to me at this point, I just want to play my nes games...

Oct 26, 2008 at 1:17:08 AM
mb7241 (183)
(Matt B.) < Bowser >
Tennessee
An update to my final note from before...he lowered the price again: $1000 start/$1500 BIN. Still steep :/ .

Answering any and all questions related to video game collecting.  Guaranteed true and honest answers from a man with nearly 20 years in the community.  Prices for these answers vary depending on the question.  For all inquiries, please PM me.

Oct 26, 2008 at 1:20:27 AM
Johan_1984 (1)
(Johan F) < Cherub >
Sweden
Thanks for letting me know. So he's most probably taken a US Top Loader, made the A/V mod and then replaced the US version back piece with one from an A/V Fami to make everything look great. And now he fears that no one is going to buy it at all.

Oct 26, 2008 at 6:18:56 AM
Speedy_NES (158)
(< Pieter >) < Kraid Killer >
Belgium
Originally posted by: Dr. Morbis

^ The back pieces of an AV Famicom look identical to the one in that guy's auction

I totally didn't think about the AV Famicom.  If that's the same then it makes more sense that this is a fake, that's a pretty messed up thing to do. 

Oct 26, 2008 at 10:42:29 AM
Fantomex (216)
(Chris Z) < Ridley Wrangler >
Pennsylvania
I was gunna say, isnt that the JAP version of the top loader?

Oct 26, 2008 at 4:18:14 PM
spoonman (66)
(Matt - The Obsessed Gamer) < Ridley Wrangler >
New York
I'm not sure if this has been brought up in here, but what about S-Video?! I asked the seller if this is compatible with the standard SNES/N64 S-video cable and he said YES!

"yes it does. it is the same jack."

I never heard of a NES outputting true S-video so that would be pretty neat. I somehow doubt that it would actually work because even modders can't get a true separated signal from the standard NES GFX chip and have to resort to a highly modified Nintendo Vs. board to achieve this.

I would be pretty pissed if I paid what he was asking and it didn't output S-video!

Oct 26, 2008 at 5:44:39 PM
Dr. Morbis (30)
Alberta
Originally posted by: Speedy_NES

Originally posted by: Dr. Morbis

I totally didn't think about the AV Famicom.  If that's the same then it makes more sense that this is a fake, that's a pretty messed up thing to do. 

Actually, I just inspected my AV Famicom more closely, and the expansion port is entirely on the top half of the molding... meaning that this mod would be even easier to perform than I thought (at least cosmetically speaking).

Edited: 10/26/2008 at 05:46 PM by Dr. Morbis

Oct 26, 2008 at 6:51:55 PM
Jero (1)
(Jeroen ) < El Ripper >
Netherlands
Ya......this is really easy to fake if I look at that. I mean you'd have to modify the top loaders top a bit by exact hole cutting....but i'v e seen holes cut super exact (maybe he even has a cnc?)

edit: just realised the av hole is on the top half.....that makes this almost impossible to fake since well.....the cart slot "bump".....weird.

Edited: 10/26/2008 at 06:53 PM by Jero

Oct 27, 2008 at 7:16:03 AM
jajaja (8)
(jajaja jajaja) < El Ripper >
Other
Originally posted by: NationalGameDepot

It is nothing special guys. That output was used on French consoles, so it was sold in Europe most likely. Even some toasters have that type of input in France.
~~NGD

In the auction (with the prototype TopLoader) it says that the output is the same that is used in in SNES, the N64 and in the Gamecube. The output that the french NES toasters has is a contact/plug of "its own" (or what i shall say). This contact/plug doesnt fit inside a SNES etc. and you cant use i.e a SNES audio/video cable in a french NES toaster. I wish it was possible though, i think it would have been cool

Edited: 10/27/2008 at 07:17 AM by jajaja

Oct 27, 2008 at 1:04:27 PM
EarlyWorm (45)

(. .) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
No one has mentioned the sticker. It is a sticker from a toaster model NES-001. Top loaders are NES-101.
The sticker for the toaster is also not as tall as the sticker for a top load. You can see in the pix that the sticker does not "reach" the top and bottom of the "sticker indentation".
I don't know if it is an odd fake or not....but that sticker does not come from a toploader.

Oct 27, 2008 at 1:52:39 PM
Speedy_NES (158)
(< Pieter >) < Kraid Killer >
Belgium
Originally posted by: EarlyWorm

No one has mentioned the sticker. It is a sticker from a toaster model NES-001. Top loaders are NES-101.
The sticker for the toaster is also not as tall as the sticker for a top load. You can see in the pix that the sticker does not "reach" the top and bottom of the "sticker indentation".
I don't know if it is an odd fake or not....but that sticker does not come from a toploader.

I mentioned that earlier on in the thread   But yeah, I agree that it seems fishy, especially if the bottom is identical to the AV Famicom, then it is just too easy to fake. 

Oct 27, 2008 at 2:00:11 PM
Jero (1)
(Jeroen ) < El Ripper >
Netherlands
Originally posted by: jajaja

Originally posted by: NationalGameDepot

It is nothing special guys. That output was used on French consoles, so it was sold in Europe most likely. Even some toasters have that type of input in France.
~~NGD

In the auction (with the prototype TopLoader) it says that the output is the same that is used in in SNES, the N64 and in the Gamecube. The output that the french NES toasters has is a contact/plug of "its own" (or what i shall say). This contact/plug doesnt fit inside a SNES etc. and you cant use i.e a SNES audio/video cable in a french NES toaster. I wish it was possible though, i think it would have been cool

Dont forget that europe didnt get toploader.....why would france? (altough I think they're consoles are basicly american ones modified with a ntsc to secam converter.....could be pal converted though) the rgb is not true rgb

Oct 27, 2008 at 4:02:35 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: EarlyWorm

Stickers don't mean much....I have a pile of these at home from when I bought out a repair center....
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Oct 28, 2008 at 8:59:23 AM
jajaja (8)
Other
Originally posted by: jero32

Dont forget that europe didnt get toploader.....why would france? (altough I think they're consoles are basicly american ones modified with a ntsc to secam converter.....could be pal converted though) the rgb is not true rgb

I know, i just wanted to inform that the french Toaster NES uses a "special" TV-cable, it is not the same cable that the Super Nintendo, the Nintendo 64 and the Gamecube uses The TopLoader in the auction in the first post in this thread has a i.e Super Nintendo-like output.

I am 99% sure that the french NES consoles uses a PAL motherboard. If it was a converted american motherboard with only a ntsc to secam converter, then the CPU (processor) would still be alittle faster than the PAL CPU. This might causes glitches in the games, and the games might also run at a faster speed, which they dont, i tested a french NES consoles yesterday I'm not 100% sure, but i think the only difference between a PAL and a NTSC NES motherboard is the CPU and GPU (graphics card), but please correct me i'm wrong.

But i think you are right about that the french NES consoles arent true RGB though. I do think you need a SCART input on your TV that supports RGB signals though, or else it wont work. I remember i sold a NES console to a guy once, and he called me when he got home to test it, and he said it didnt work. I then told him to try to connect the NES consoles to another SCART input, and then it worked I think he only got the sound when he connected to a other SCART input on his TV. I assumed that the SCART input he first tried didnt support RGB signals, but i dont know, sorry :\

Oct 28, 2008 at 1:22:10 PM
Derek1112 (10)
(Derek LeMaire) < Eggplant Wizard >
Louisiana
I just asked him for a copy of the receipt.

Oct 28, 2008 at 2:07:51 PM
Derek1112 (10)
(Derek LeMaire) < Eggplant Wizard >
Louisiana
Here is what the guy told me about the receipt.

because there is personal information on the receipt, i will only provide it to the winner of this auction. i hope you understand. i do have the receipt from Nintendo. i will provide a scan to the winner if they want it after the auction is over. the original will be provided with the with the item. if i do not, i will completely refund your money. i am an honest person. you will see from my feedback over and over my delivered items are packaged very well and are exactly as described. this item is no different. thanks for your question and interest.

Oct 28, 2008 at 2:46:09 PM
Skullinator (2)
(Warren Fairbanks) < Eggplant Wizard >
Utah
sounds like bs especially he could black out personal info on a scan on his computer./

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:49:24 PM
spoonman (66)
(Matt - The Obsessed Gamer) < Ridley Wrangler >
New York
So would it be possible that this does in fact output in S-video with a SNES/N64 S-video cable? My guess would be no, but the seller says YES.... hmmm.

Oct 28, 2008 at 6:21:44 PM
Jero (1)
(Jeroen ) < El Ripper >
Netherlands
Originally posted by: jajaja

I know, i just wanted to inform that the french Toaster NES uses a "special" TV-cable, it is not the same cable that the Super Nintendo, the Nintendo 64 and the Gamecube uses The TopLoader in the auction in the first post in this thread has a i.e Super Nintendo-like output.

I am 99% sure that the french NES consoles uses a PAL motherboard. If it was a converted american motherboard with only a ntsc to secam converter, then the CPU (processor) would still be alittle faster than the PAL CPU. This might causes glitches in the games, and the games might also run at a faster speed, which they dont, i tested a french NES consoles yesterday I'm not 100% sure, but i think the only difference between a PAL and a NTSC NES motherboard is the CPU and GPU (graphics card), but please correct me i'm wrong.

But i think you are right about that the french NES consoles arent true RGB though. I do think you need a SCART input on your TV that supports RGB signals though, or else it wont work. I remember i sold a NES console to a guy once, and he called me when he got home to test it, and he said it didnt work. I then told him to try to connect the NES consoles to another SCART input, and then it worked I think he only got the sound when he connected to a other SCART input on his TV. I assumed that the SCART input he first tried didnt support RGB signals, but i dont know, sorry :\

Lots of games were not pal optimized....but you make a point. Especially since I know for a fact alot of france region games were sold in nl ....including some pal optimized. However iirc (not sure i'll look it up later)  secam is 60 hrtz. Its sort of a mix between ntsc and pal and basicly totally unnecesary. Using an ntsc motherboard to convert the signal would be easier cause of the same sync rate.

edit: my bad.....it IS 50 hrtz.....so they prob used a pal console....

Edited: 10/28/2008 at 06:25 PM by Jero

Oct 29, 2008 at 11:37:57 AM
jajaja (8)
Other

Lots of games were not pal optimized....but you make a point. Especially since I know for a fact alot of france region games were sold in nl ....including some pal optimized. However iirc (not sure i'll look it up later)  secam is 60 hrtz. Its sort of a mix between ntsc and pal and basicly totally unnecesary. Using an ntsc motherboard to convert the signal would be easier cause of the same sync rate.

edit: my bad.....it IS 50 hrtz.....so they prob used a pal console....

How do you mean with "not optimized"?

Oct 29, 2008 at 1:31:56 PM
Jero (1)
(Jeroen ) < El Ripper >
Netherlands
A game thats ntsc wil play slower on ntsc. A way to "fix" this is to for example if mario moves 1 pixel a frame in mario ntsc.....to do some extra pixels per frame in pal.

Oct 30, 2008 at 8:10:28 AM
jajaja (8)
Other

A game thats ntsc wil play slower on ntsc. A way to "fix" this is to for example if mario moves 1 pixel a frame in mario ntsc.....to do some extra pixels per frame in pal.

Ah ok, like that, then i understand what you mean But is it possible to do it like that, or will the game gets more "choppy/laggy" (or what i shall say) if you move the character in the game for example 2 pixels at the time instead of 1 pixel at the time?

By the way, i opened up a french NES console yesterday since it had some problems reading the games so i had to try to clean the connector, and i saw a "PAL-EEC" sticker on the motherboard, so i guess that the french NES consoles uses a PAL NES motherboard

Edited: 10/30/2008 at 08:12 AM by jajaja