Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

The Mutant Virus Strategy Thread the thread to end all threads... (for this game).

Nov 2, 2016 at 2:45:30 PM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York
Hmmm ok. Well when we get bea in here we will see about that  . I never left my NES on for that long, which is why I never beat it! I had 6 of the 8 rooms when I failed. That was the closest I got and I think my nes was on for like 11 hrs.

When you can, get your emulator out and get to level 4 and we can see if we can develop some better/consistent strats.

-------------------------
Mutant Virus strat thread.  Help each other finally put the nail in the coffin for this game, EVERY time.
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Nov 2, 2016 at 3:18:05 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
Congratulations, Svan.
This is no small feat.  

I want to try to figure out and map the most efficient way to kill certain types of virus spitters, then map the room matrices to try to figure out how we can clean them quickly.
There has to be something we are missing so far, because there is no way someone would do a game this long without passwords and saves.

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Nov 2, 2016 at 3:32:12 PM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York
Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

Congratulations, Svan.
This is no small feat.  

I want to try to figure out and map the most efficient way to kill certain types of virus spitters, then map the room matrices to try to figure out how we can clean them quickly.
There has to be something we are missing so far, because there is no way someone would do a game this long without passwords and saves.
I thought about even contacting ASC and saying "Did anyone even TEST this game before they released it?!" haha. 

My 'strats' are ok for the first 3 levels.  In fact aside from a few key points, you dont really need to follow it, as long as you put the right stuff in the right room.  Level 3 gives you plenty of time.  Its all about efficiancy in Level 4 and ultimately Level 5. 

Obviously since you beat it you'd know but Level 4s difficulty comes with the amount of those virus spitters.  Level 5 has less of them, and easier rooms (rooms with a lot of tight spaces) but you have to be able to work fast with your gun and be able to maneuver properly out of harms way.

Mutant Virus strat thread.  Help each other finally put the nail in the coffin for this game, EVERY time.

Nov 2, 2016 at 4:46:20 PM
Svankmajer (0)
< Meka Chicken >
Thanks Bea, I'm sure you'll do some magic.

I'm not sure about emulators at the moment, but I'll probably turn the game back on in a few days. I expect the three first levels to be quite easy now.

?What are the weirdest games on NES? - What are the weirdest games on SNES
Game Boy Run: 24/40 - Nintendo NES Run: 48/48
Latest game beaten: Skate Or Die: Bad 'N Rad (1990)

Nov 3, 2016 at 4:15:51 PM
Svankmajer (0)
< Meka Chicken >
Bea_Iank, since you're planning to contribute...
May I ask when you played the game how much strategy and theory you used? Like, was it more like you played it with a certain plan with the rooms, or did you play in any room?
And did you place the CMs the first place it made sense or did you find places you always put them?

If you remember this of course, I read the "Beat NES 2016"-thread, and I know you were quite non-sober, so I would understand if the memory was a bit foggy... but it'd be interesting to know.  

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:53:43 AM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
I can cruise through the first 3 stages(and almost stage 4) without continuing. I will write a detailed strategy in the next few weeks.
I have come to to love this game, might even be my favorite NES game.
It has become my mission to add this game to my "you're my bitch" game list !

Jan 25, 2017 at 2:16:07 AM
Svankmajer (0)
< Meka Chicken >
Very nice. I will be following your progress.

Its a very unique concept in the way it really simulates the way viruses work and how real vaccine combats it. Meaning if you have the flu and you're taking medicine your own body is actually playing Mutant Virus inside you.

Jan 26, 2017 at 1:40:17 AM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
Holy crap this game is addicting! I'm still plugging away at stage 4 and should be able to clear it soon! The bolting to room that have had a "core breach" has thrown me off a bit but I've almost got this game figured out. The first 3 stages are a breeze, and once I have the order of the rooms to clear in 4 I'm fairly certain I can do 1-4 without continuing !

Jan 26, 2017 at 2:27:32 AM
Svankmajer (0)
< Meka Chicken >
Yes, its the 4th and 5th stage that is difficult.

The core breaches are part of the mystery how to handle. They act like timers in a sense but I never really figured out how they 100% work. I remember they drove me nuts.

Jan 26, 2017 at 2:33:36 AM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
So it's all about the room order and the counter measures. There are 4 counter measure in stage 4(other than the shield and Super Guns) I think they need to be used in two rooms that have 2 virus spawn areas each. One more go at this tonight 😝

Feb 2, 2017 at 4:58:51 PM
Svankmajer (0)
< Meka Chicken >
Did you throw in the towel, Richard? The game is giving you a royal beating perhaps?

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:35:21 PM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
Originally posted by: Svankmajer

Did you throw in the towel, Richard? The game is giving you a royal beating perhaps?

I'm close! Very, very close! The game is super fun but I'm putting together a walk through as I play so I don't have to do it again😂

Feb 2, 2017 at 6:37:37 PM
Svankmajer (0)
< Meka Chicken >
Originally posted by: Richardhead

I'm close! Very, very close! The game is super fun but I'm putting together a walk through as I play so I don't have to do it again😂

Nice. You are close to beating level 4 that is? 

Btw. Pat The NES Punk made a new video today where he made a little poke at Mutant Virus. I'd like to think he's been reading this forum. 

Feb 2, 2017 at 6:51:17 PM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado

Btw. Pat The NES Punk made a new video today where he made a little poke at Mutant Virus. I'd like to think he's been reading this forum. 

5 and I have no clue who Pat is.😳

Feb 2, 2017 at 7:02:56 PM
Svankmajer (0)
< Meka Chicken >

Oh. Really? He's a vlogger and entertainer like AVGN. They've been cooperating a few times too. Not as big, but he's quite known. He also does a podcast and some other stuff. Like he released a NES book with all the games reviewed. I think Mutant Virus got a pretty bad rating, but he gave it credit for originality. 
Level 5 is great progress. I thought you'd given it up!

Feb 2, 2017 at 7:36:05 PM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado

Oh. Really? He's a vlogger and entertainer like AVGN. They've been cooperating a few times too. Not as big, but he's quite known. He also does a podcast and some other stuff. Like he released a NES book with all the games reviewed. I think Mutant Virus got a pretty bad rating, but he gave it credit for originality. 
Level 5 is great progress. I thought you'd given it up!

I've been wondering. Lots of people seem to talk about him randomly .

Feb 2, 2017 at 7:38:45 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
You can do it, Richard!
Believe in the power of lov... err... no, not that one. That one is shitty.
Believe in the power of BOOZE!!!

Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:35:45 AM
Svankmajer (0)
< Meka Chicken >

I've been wondering. Lots of people seem to talk about him randomly .

He's a bit of a name in the retro game community I suppose. Oh well. Looking forward to see your strategic ideas of the game. 

Bea's Strategy Guide For Beating Mutant Virus: Booze. 

Feb 3, 2017 at 10:19:42 AM
G-Type (1)
(Geoff ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Virginia

Booze does not typically improve my reflexes or dexterity.

Check out my comic, The Scientists. It's like a "Genius-centric 'Goonies' that can turn thriller at any moment". 

Feb 3, 2017 at 10:22:25 AM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Originally posted by: G-Type

Booze does not typically improve my reflexes or dexterity.

No reflex nor dexterity needed for this game.
Just will power to not say "fuck this" and forget about it. Hence, booze!

Feb 4, 2017 at 3:39:09 PM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
Quick update:
I can move through stages one through 4 fairly easily and consistently without continuing. I have a detailed stages 2 and 3 walk through but 4 is difficult due to outbreaks in other rooms. You have to continually go back and forth room to room. So I'm just gonna write up what rooms you need use your counter measures.
Hope that all made sense😂

Feb 4, 2017 at 4:59:46 PM
Svankmajer (0)
< Meka Chicken >

Quick update:
I can move through stages one through 4 fairly easily and consistently without continuing. I have a detailed stages 2 and 3 walk through but 4 is difficult due to outbreaks in other rooms. You have to continually go back and forth room to room. So I'm just gonna write up what rooms you need use your counter measures.
Hope that all made sense😂

Makes sense. I am skeptical of the idea of doing rooms in any kind of exact orders on level 4 or 5. There might be some kind of almost perfect approach in terms of the CMs, but I don't believe in a strict room order, because the outbreaks directs you around too much, and travelling takes too long. Especially on level 5.

Its better to just try to take out close-by rooms after stopping an outbreak. Thats the best I could come up with when I was playing. Combining strategy and still being a bit liberal about it as to where the breakouts appear. Thats what eventually made me beat the game anyway. 

Feb 4, 2017 at 6:05:35 PM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York
It totally makes sense. If you saw what I posted before earlier, I wrote that after 8 minutes, you get your first outbreak and a new one every minute. Im positive the outbreaks are random, meaning after 1 minute room A can outbreak. Then after a minute, all other rooms INCLUDING A can outbreak. If that happens I think 3 times in a single room the games over. So thats a lot of play to deal with.

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:29:32 PM
Svankmajer (0)
< Meka Chicken >
Yep, in what rooms the outbreaks happens seems completely random. When the outbreaks went to 'game over' and how much/little time you got drove me completely nuts though. In the end I was just getting paranoid trying to stop every breakout as fast as possible.

Feb 4, 2017 at 11:24:23 PM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York
Thats why I think the point is to put the CMs is the right rooms in the right spot first and have the harder rooms left cuz you can spend the most time on them and not worry about any more breakouts