Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Should we keep the e-zine?

Sep 2, 2008 at 2:29:59 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Changing deadlines won't matter. We've tried.

-------------------------

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Sep 2, 2008 at 3:25:09 PM
Xed (67)
(Sjoerd Rutten) < King Solomon >
Netherlands
not only is the e-zine a great read, from the first to the last letter .. its also VERY helpfull for "noobie" collectors (like me) to learn ALOT about the history of some games/systems/publishers etc.. learn to value rarity and just generally find info about the NES and everything surrounding it

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up" - C.S. Lewis

aka XtinctHeD and Dr. Retro

Dr. Retro Video Game Channel:  http://www.dr-retro.com...
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/psxco...
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/drretromd...
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/drretro..._
eBay store: http://stores.ebay.nl/Dr-Retros-G...
Playstation Collecting Community: http://www.playstationcollecting.... (browsable with your NA/SA account!)

Sep 2, 2008 at 3:26:35 PM
Xed (67)
(Sjoerd Rutten) < King Solomon >
Netherlands
Originally posted by: NES HERBALIST
"alot of letters"

i love your signature

baseketball _0_

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up" - C.S. Lewis

aka XtinctHeD and Dr. Retro

Dr. Retro Video Game Channel:  http://www.dr-retro.com...
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/psxco...
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/drretromd...
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/drretro..._
eBay store: http://stores.ebay.nl/Dr-Retros-G...
Playstation Collecting Community: http://www.playstationcollecting.... (browsable with your NA/SA account!)

Sep 2, 2008 at 3:35:13 PM
VileRedFalcon (21)
(Chris Hughes) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Yes, we should keep the ezine.

*** WANTED ***
- 5 Screw Zelda Test Cart
- Rygar Poster
- Castlevania Box w/ hangtab

Sep 2, 2008 at 3:44:40 PM
Stan (81)
(Demonologist and Linguist Supreme) < Ridley Wrangler >
Virginia
Yeah, changing deadlines won't be much of anything. We all end up waiting until the last minute, though granted I've had a really busy month getting ready for grad school (which just started again last week). However, if I were to yell at myself, I'd say I should have planned earlier, but I still made sure it was in on time. However, I can belt out a comic in relatively short time in comparison to an article. I really don't think there's a way around that, and increasing the time in-between issues will only extend the amount of time people don't turn stuff in. The only benefit I see is that content MAY be higher quality, but then again we've seen a lot of great articles thus far on a month schedule.

Sep 2, 2008 at 3:54:00 PM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
KEEP IT!
KEEP IT!
KEEP IT!
KEEP IT!
KEEP IT!
KEEP IT!

Edited: 09/02/2008 at 03:59 PM by NewUser123456789

Sep 2, 2008 at 4:44:39 PM
srh201 (114)
(Hootie McBoobins D.N.S.) < Bowser >
United States
the ezine is the only monthly reading i do, other than accounting pronouncements and other such fun material!

Look, if you don't like the things that I post, don't PM me about it and don't start a war in a thread. Just FOE ME so you don't have to read my posts! That's why Dain put it there! Use it!!!

Sep 2, 2008 at 4:46:14 PM
Jumpman Jr. (47)
(Will Bowins) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
Definitely yes.

Sep 2, 2008 at 5:10:59 PM
removed-07-06-2016 (214)

< Bowser >
Other
The e-zine is what sets this place apart from other Nintendo websites.  It's why I decided to join the forums. As somebody else mentioned, too, it's also great for people who are just starting in the hobby. If you need writers, I can contribute a well thought-out article, but I'm a little lacking in the ideas department. If you guys need material, send me a PM with a topic, and I'll research and write about it. It's not a lot of work for me, since I'm a college student, and writing papers is what we do I'm constantly amazed at the things people continue to write about each month. Please keep it up, and let me know if you need help.

Edited: 09/02/2008 at 05:11 PM by removed-07-06-2016

Sep 2, 2008 at 5:59:53 PM
Mr. Gimmick (50)
(Gimmick, Mr.) < King Solomon >
Connecticut
KEEP IT!!!!!

Sep 2, 2008 at 6:08:49 PM
NESJohnny (52)
(Johnny Johnny) < Kraid Killer >
California
Keep it fo shizzle. And keep it monthly. And more people, contribute! I wrote an article and had a lot of fun doing it. You end up enjoying it more than you'd think.

Sep 2, 2008 at 6:14:15 PM
Zzap (47)
(James ) < King Solomon >
Australia
I'd be willing to volunteer as a sanity checker each month if you like prior to release and provide feedback against a set of guidelines created by the community. As the content's sent to kevin for layout, I (or even a small team) could proof read the content and flag any issues we find in the content with the editor in case the article needs to be sent back to the author for edits, or the author informed that it will be published with edits. I know that on the odd occasion this would lead to a page being layed out and then pulled, but it seems like the most logical approach.

This would provide dan with a few extra pairs of eyes, and still provide him with editorial control of content.

Thoughts?

Chunkout for iPhone, iPad and iTouch out now!
Chunkout Games: FaceBook | Web

Sep 2, 2008 at 6:20:36 PM
srh201 (114)
(Hootie McBoobins D.N.S.) < Bowser >
United States
who gives a flying fuck about content. if the ezine offends you in any way, DONT READ IT. i dont see any problem with anything ever published in the ezine. i am not a big fan of the comic section (but i dont like comics in the first place), but stan just wrote some shit that actually happened. who cares? if something has happened in the past, everyone has the right to know what happened. i personally dont give a shit what the referenced person did in the past, as i have had a few deals with him and everything has been fine. no need to edit the ezine, no need to stop it, no need to change anything.

Look, if you don't like the things that I post, don't PM me about it and don't start a war in a thread. Just FOE ME so you don't have to read my posts! That's why Dain put it there! Use it!!!

Sep 2, 2008 at 6:24:50 PM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
Thanks for the offer Zzap, but really all we needed was a good talk about what the majority felt was appropriate. Everyone was heard, nothing was locked, and all people involved or who had a strong opinion spoke up. I really believe now we're all "on the same page" - so to speak.

Keep in mind, from the perspective of Dain, Kevin and myself, Stan's comics were continually pushing the envelope with little resistance up until this point. Now that Stan (and the rest of us) all know where the community feels the line should be drawn, I don't believe there will be another problem so severe.

That said, I'd love to publish some of your work!!

Sep 2, 2008 at 6:38:50 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
The problem comes when insults are a generally accepted thing in the community. The whole point of moderators and locking threads is to keep it from expanding here. If you just say ignore what you don't like, then the forum turns into chaos where every thread is a flame war and spam prevails.

Everyone has the right to know, which is why they can search for the many threads that already exist. The point isn't to hide what happened, but to keep it from being attacks instead of discussion.

Sep 2, 2008 at 6:39:51 PM
Zzap (47)
(James ) < King Solomon >
Australia
Originally posted by: dangevin

That said, I'd love to publish some of your work!!

Yes, I shall endeavour to have another article written this month

Chunkout for iPhone, iPad and iTouch out now!
Chunkout Games: FaceBook | Web

Sep 2, 2008 at 7:18:01 PM
the tall guy (130)
(Randy the Astonishing) < Bowser >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: NationalGameDepot

I love the ezine and do think we should keep it...but the recent events keep making it more difficult. We already have enough trouble rounding up writers and then when the content of the few we have comes into question it makes it even harder. If you guys want to keep the ezine going, you all have to help and contribute. Everyone is quick to judge and complain but the line to contribute doesn't seem to get much longer....
~~NGD

What sort of contributions are you looking for?

"Meeting internet dudes is what being a dude on the internet is all about!"  ~OSG 

Sep 2, 2008 at 7:48:16 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
What is this month's deadline? I have another 'PowerPlay' article on the burner...

Sep 2, 2008 at 8:06:47 PM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
We need articles a week before we publish, so between the 23rd-25th for any given month. As always images are a BIG help, and for those of you making your second submission, you'll get a snazzy column header made like the ones you see in this issue for bunnyboy and wolfsaq. You can also supply your own, like NES herbalist chose to.

We needed to "bank" two articles from last issue since we had so many submissions (this past e-Zine was our biggest yet, excitement here is at an all-time high because of the Expo) so reports that we're direly in need of content are a bit exaggerated, but there are ALWAYS dry spots when school gets heavy, etc, so no article is wasted.

We need everything, and want everything, that people here have to say.

Sep 3, 2008 at 2:25:30 AM
justabum (142)
(Bryan Digilio) < El Ripper >
Nebraska
absolutely keep it, its a great addition to the site and provides a lot of useful and fun information. We shouldn't cancel a good thing just because there was a hiccup. I feel the points were made on the main issue here and hopefully it is resolved. As long as the people doing the work still want to put it out.....I still want to read it. (maybe some day I'll get off my lazy ass and contribute)

If consequenses dictate your course of action, then it doesn't matter what is right, it's only wrong if you get caught. -maynard james keenan

Sep 3, 2008 at 2:39:41 AM
mb7241 (183)
(Matt B.) < Bowser >
Tennessee
Unquestionably and unarguably, the e-Zine should be kept as one of this site's mainstays. I've actually got an article in mind...a sports section, if you will...

Answering any and all questions related to video game collecting.  Guaranteed true and honest answers from a man with nearly 20 years in the community.  Prices for these answers vary depending on the question.  For all inquiries, please PM me.

Sep 3, 2008 at 2:46:32 AM
projectingstars (95)
(S. K.) < King Solomon >
Washington
I love the ezine. If you read all of the articles all the way through, it actually takes quite a while to finish. It's nonstop videogame info at its finest!

"Absurdity is what I like most in life, and there's humor in struggling in ignorance. If you saw a man repeatedly running into a wall until he was a bloody pulp, after a while it would make you laugh because it becomes absurd".

-David Lynch

Sep 9, 2008 at 5:58:48 PM
Thor (52)
(Thor Aackerlund) < Meka Chicken >
Texas
I like quesadillas! And the eZine is a keeper! Thanks for everyone who works hard on it, I think I'll try contributing some content, reviews on oddball games/movies/whatever.

Yes, 1990 NWC in case you're curious :) A long long time ago, in a video game competition far far away.

Sep 9, 2008 at 6:10:27 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
^^ or just dig through your dads garage and find some cool stuff to show us and write up about that.
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:01:25 AM
Stan (81)
(Demonologist and Linguist Supreme) < Ridley Wrangler >
Virginia

That is something we could possibly consider. Perhaps reviewing movies and music and such could be a good idea. It doesn't necessarily have to involve the NES, but it easily could. A review of Bitshifter's CDs, for example, would be quite interesting and a friend of mine is friends with him. He uses 8-bit sound chips to make his music.

http://www.myspace.com/bitshifter

Perhaps for movies you could do a series of reviews based on movie to video game conversions and video game to movie conversions (not too many of the latter, but with good research these could be awesome).

Edited: 09/10/2008 at 12:02 AM by Stan