Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

A list of types of Prototypes? NES, SNES, proto of production game, unfinished, etc.

Oct 29, 2011 at 2:58:56 AM
Luigi_Master (29)
(Kevin McConnell) < Kraid Killer >
United States
This might be a duplicate thread that will start rage as usual, but I had an idea for a thread.  Basically, we take prototypes of games and list them accordingly, or have a symbol that denotes something, such as being unfinished, just started work, completed, and so on.  This is for my own, and other people's, amusement, so this could be a decent thread.  Remove if need be.

-------------------------
I got some goodies on eBay.  Wanna see more, read the news, etc?  Check below:

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Oct 29, 2011 at 9:51:31 AM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
No need to remove at all, it's a solid idea that could lead to some cool discussion. The biggest issue I see is the time involved with dissecting each ROM to determine how far along it is.

Any chance you'd be interested in creating specific requirements for each stage in development? Like, what makes a game unfinished compared to a game that has just started work?

Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:35:49 AM
gwyndion (322)
(Cookie Monster) < King Solomon >
California
NGD has a comprehensive list of prototypes for NES that shows the titles and the company. If you check his website then you should be able to find it in his game list.

If anyone is LOOKING for certain repro/homebrews, I have a running repro company thread going as well as a lot of extras myself which include Limited Editions as well.  I'm also free to help answer questions and point people in the right direction so never hesitate to ask!  Here is the current list of repro companies.  Please let me know if I need to update it:
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:53:43 AM
ADMINISTRATOR
K.Thrower (120)
(Kenny Boy) < Master Higgins >
Colorado
Maybe a simpler solution would be to list titles as just finished or unfinished. Anyone wanting to know more on a specific title could do a little research and the blanks could be filled in along the way. I think just having a title database would be a big improvement for the hobby.

Ready for adventure!
www.watagames.com...

Oct 30, 2011 at 1:47:28 AM
Luigi_Master (29)
(Kevin McConnell) < Kraid Killer >
United States
Alright, good to know that Mark seems to like the idea.

Anyhow, what I mean by "Incomplete" is that it's obviously missing some things, like enemy interactions haven't been programmed, and can only use one attack, for an example. I've read that Bio Force Ape is unfinished, explaining how short it is and why the bee enemies never fight. Of course, the game could've been finished for all we know.

"Completed", or "Cancelled" means that the game is fully playable with no major flaws, and was ready for release. However, the company decided against it, whether it was because the NES was at the end of it's life, or the company would rather publish a different game, as the case with Makai Island.

"Abandoned", or "Alpha", means that just the bare bones have been programmed, but ultimately rejected. Game fires up, controls work, and character can obey commands, for example. Maybe said game served no purpose than to show off a company's new engine they were developing. Such as Sunsoft's SuperMan.

"Not Found" means a prototype of said game exists, or proof that it did exist surfaced, but hasn't been found yet. Completeness is unknown. Example, Erik the Viking.

"Lost" means a prototype did exist, but was unfortunately lost, and left the face of the planet.

"Doesn't Exist" refers to a prototype (or lack thereof ) that was considered, but ultimately scrapped. Chances are it never left the planning phase, such as the rumored "New Kids on the Block" that was just mentioned.

"Produced" means a prototype of a game that has been mass produced, such as TMNT2, Duck Tales, etc.

"Beta" is similar to the above, except the Beta has obvious differences from the final release. Sunsoft's Batman, for example.

"Unknown" means we don't even know said game exists. Yeah Yeah Beebis I, for example.

Of course, this is just an idea, and some might not even be used. Still, thanks for your interest Mark, means a lot.

I got some goodies on eBay.  Wanna see more, read the news, etc?  Check below:

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Edited: 10/30/2011 at 01:50 AM by Luigi_Master