Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Adventures in the Magic Kingdom NES Prototype (Is this real?)

May 18, 2011 at 10:18:26 PM
mighty one (4)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Paul Thomas) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
I posted this in the finds and price check thread but I figured you guys would know best. Just looking to see if it looks real and maybe it's value.

-------------------------

May 18, 2011 at 10:24:26 PM
removed04092017 (0)
< Bowser >
Other
Looks real to me.

May 18, 2011 at 11:30:42 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Though I've never seen a Capcom proto with that particular label type, I don't see any reason to believe it isn't legit. There are a few of these floating around, but still a very nice find for sure. Congrats!

Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

May 18, 2011 at 11:49:41 PM
elhector (80)
(Hector Varga) < Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Looks like it might be a review copy for Nintendo Power or some other magazine.

Check out my YouTube Channel

Social Media Junk:

Facebook Twitter Instagram

Come check out what I have for sale.

May 18, 2011 at 11:53:24 PM
mighty one (4)
United States
I was thinking it might be close to release as it's pretty solid and the label is somewhat official. It definitely appears to be partly cut-off as it's missing the "property of" part

May 19, 2011 at 8:06:55 AM
MrMark0673 (455)
Massachusetts
elhector: What makes you think that?

mighty one: The label doesn't indicate how far along protos are typically, so I wouldn't give it much weight. It doesn't have the Capcom EPROM stickers that are often found on their protos either:

Snow Brothers proto, Capcom stickers and small white label

Tail Spin Proto, Capcom stickers and small white label

Mega Man 2 Proto, Capcom stickers

Gargoyle's Quest II and Street Fighter 2010 protos, both have Capcom stickers on the EPROMs

I also have a Ducktales 2 proto with the small white sticker similar to the first 2 protos pictured. Very common on Capcom protos, though I can't remember who used those particular stickers.

Dream is very good at identifying where protos were used based on their stickers, hopefully he can chime in with where this one could have been used.

Photobucket

May 19, 2011 at 12:34:35 PM
TheRedEye (6)
(Frank Cifaldi) < Meka Chicken >
California
Changes to look out for:

The icons on top of the buildings on Main Street are broken/glitched (easiest to spot since it's at the beginning of the game).

Planet/star indicator on Space Mountain is broken/missing.

Bridge on Autopia is glitched.

See if you at least have any of those problems, that's what we had on a proto years ago (it's dumped and floating around). If yours is somehow earlier than that I'd be way interested in seeing more, there's a lot of weird unused stuff in the ROM.

May 19, 2011 at 12:41:44 PM
elhector (80)
(Hector Varga) < Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Originally posted by: MrMark0673

elhector: What makes you think that?

The Capcom semi official looking label.  I figure the address on there is so they magazine or whatever knew where to return the copy to.  Obviously it didn't get returned

Check out my YouTube Channel

Social Media Junk:

Facebook Twitter Instagram

Come check out what I have for sale.

May 19, 2011 at 12:43:19 PM
mighty one (4)
United States
My thought is that it looks to clean for anything else but I'll defer to the professionals here.

May 19, 2011 at 1:12:20 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: TheRedEye

Changes to look out for:

The icons on top of the buildings on Main Street are broken/glitched (easiest to spot since it's at the beginning of the game).

Planet/star indicator on Space Mountain is broken/missing.

Bridge on Autopia is glitched.

See if you at least have any of those problems, that's what we had on a proto years ago (it's dumped and floating around). If yours is somehow earlier than that I'd be way interested in seeing more, there's a lot of weird unused stuff in the ROM.

Frank, is the sticker one you've seen before?  I never saw the front of Michael's cart, does it have the same label?

Photobucket

May 19, 2011 at 2:10:34 PM
Xerxes (20)
(Xerxes Dole) < El Ripper >
Ohio
I wonder what else has been on these chips. It looks like they had some larger stickers covering the windows at some point.

May 19, 2011 at 4:26:05 PM
mighty one (4)
United States
That's a no go on me testing for now. I have to get an NES as mine is truly dead. God rest it's born in 1986 soul.

May 19, 2011 at 6:09:39 PM
mighty one (4)
United States
so, do I need to actually play this to see what I've got to formulate a price? The offers I have received are all over the map. I don't want to offend anybody so some guidance would be good.

May 19, 2011 at 7:04:19 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: mighty one

so, do I need to actually play this to see what I've got to formulate a price? The offers I have received are all over the map. I don't want to offend anybody so some guidance would be good.

Depends how much time you have on your hands, but I wouldn't play through the whole thing for a few offers and what may or may not be tire kicking.

If you've got an offer higher than my estimate in your price check thread, I'd say take it.  I mean, a proto for the NTSC version of New Ghostbusters II just sold at open auction and ended for under $140 (forgot to bid, doh!), so anything in and around there I'd consider.

Either that, or let the interested parties know the high offer and let them offer against that.  Easy way to figure out what it's worth to those involved.

Photobucket

May 19, 2011 at 7:10:17 PM
mighty one (4)
United States
so does the rarity of the actual game not come into play?

May 19, 2011 at 7:16:30 PM
nintendopower_4_ever (75)

(john smith) < Lolo Lord >
United States
Originally posted by: MrMark0673

Depends how much time you have on your hands, but I wouldn't play through the whole thing for a few offers and what may or may not be tire kicking.

If you've got an offer higher than my estimate in your price check thread, I'd say take it.  I mean, a proto for the NTSC version of New Ghostbusters II just sold at open auction and ended for under $140 (forgot to bid, doh!), so anything in and around there I'd consider.

Either that, or let the interested parties know the high offer and let them offer against that.  Easy way to figure out what it's worth to those involved.

that ghostbusters II proto auction was shill bid all the way by the owner along with the rest of his auctions with a private feedback account

May 19, 2011 at 7:19:56 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Those are NESaholics auctions, and I would be extremely surprised if he shilled anything.

May 19, 2011 at 7:29:14 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
Massachusetts

so does the rarity of the actual game not come into play?

What do you mean?  Of Adventures in the magic Kingdom?  I don't understand what you mean.

As far as prices that I've seen/paid/asked since I've been collecting protos, I'd say this is what you're looking at:

Shitty sports titles, protos of terrible games, licensed, released, similar to final release:
$50 - $75

Typical NES game protos, licensed, released, similar to final release:
$75 - $150+, depending on if someone has some connection to the title for some reason (loved the game as a kid, etc.)

NES game protos from a very popular series or game or a typically very rare game (Mega Man, TMNT, Castlevania, Little Samson, etc), third party, licensed, released, similar to final release:
$125+ with no real limit I can see, depends on who wants it.

When you get to unreleased or first party protos, prices are everywhere, depends on the game and who wants it.

If you want an idea of what I've paid for Capcom protots specifically, I've personally spent:

Snow Brothers $200
Tail Spin $150
Gargoyle's Quest II  $98.50
Street Fighter 2010 $98.50
Mega Man 2 I think around $225, though it was my first proto and my favorite game ever
Duck Tales 2 was cheap, though I can't remember exactly how much.  Maybe $125ish?

I've purchased numerous unreleased but dumped protos for around $300 a piece, so take that into consideration when your taking offers.  Hope this helps, just wanted you to know I wasn't randomly pulling numbers out of the air.

Photobucket

Edited: 05/19/2011 at 07:31 PM by MrMark0673

May 19, 2011 at 8:59:52 PM
mighty one (4)
United States
No, that's great info. I was referencing the actual rarity of the released game. I know Adventures in the Magical Kingdom is somewhat rare as it commands a higher price from what I can tell. In my mind that means the proto will be more valuable. Apparently this isn't always the case as your price for Ducktales 2 doesn't appear to match the actual market for the released game.

May 19, 2011 at 9:06:38 PM
removed04092017 (0)
< Bowser >
Other

In my mind that means the proto will be more valuable. Apparently this isn't always the case as your price for Ducktales 2 doesn't appear to match the actual market for the released game.

And also, the Flintstones 2 proto sold for far less than a normal cart. I think like $60 or $90 or so? But it wasn't cart value today. I say that because it was a few years ago. If you ebayed this, I think $100 would probably be the going value. Just my guess, you never know who will bid on it though so it also could go for $200+, but that's very...very unlikely.

May 19, 2011 at 9:52:44 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
Massachusetts

I know Adventures in the Magical Kingdom is somewhat rare as it commands a higher price from what I can tell. In my mind that means the proto will be more valuable.

Searching "Magic Kingdom" in just titles under NES games on Ebay returns 61 results, it's not even uncommon let alone rare.

I was only using my Capcom protos to give you a reference point.  Here is a list of some other protos and prices I've paid to really help you out:

Archon $77 shipped

Spy vs Spy 2:  The Island Caper.  Unreleased, Undumped, Only Copy Known, $300

Solomon's Key 2, Unreleased NTSC Format, $215

Caveman Ninja, Unreleased NTSC Format, $215

Tiger Heli, $75

Super Glove Ball, $86

Airball, Unreleased, this specific build currently undistributed, $300

Star Trek V, Unreleased, $300

9 Various protos, $77 a piece

Caesar's Palace proto with several KNOWN differences, $70 shipped

Hatris and Bases Loaded protos, $94 a piece

Several unreleased titles for around $300, plenty of protos under $100, even those that are clearly different than the final build.  Beyond that, you have to bear in mind that I am not a casual collector and often pay a PREMIUM for these games.

I mean, I don't really know what else to tell you.  You have a very nice piece and certainly something to be proud of, but it's likely (not positively, but likely) worth between $75 and $125.  I have no vested interest in the game, I haven't made an offer on it, so I have no reason to downplay the value.  If anything, I'd love it for sell for far more than my estimate as it would make my collection be perceived as being MORE valuable.  Others can chime in with estimates, but I'm giving you examples of actual sales, not arbitrary numbers that I pulled out of nowhere.

Anyway, that's pretty much all I got.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do with it.

Photobucket

May 20, 2011 at 1:11:20 AM
mighty one (4)
United States
Thanks a bunch. This has been quite illuminating.

May 20, 2011 at 4:32:32 PM
shawnphase (9)
(shawn phase) < Lolo Lord >
Western Australia
man, that airball board.

http://www.tempsoundsolutions.com... for a whole slew of video game cover music.

May 20, 2011 at 7:01:11 PM
mighty one (4)
United States
Originally posted by: shawnphase

man, that airball board.

what does that mean?

May 20, 2011 at 10:30:32 PM
DreamTR (163)
(Jason Wilson) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
That's definitely something sent to a magazine (Adv in the Magic Kingdom) I have a proto of that as well....

MrMark: Dang it, I want that Spy vs Spy, LOL

www.gamegalaxyarcade.com...