Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Hardware Mod Building a Better NES Arcade Stick

Mar 06 at 6:48:23 PM
HeadcolorsTV (0)
(Tommy Osborne) < Tourian Tourist >
New York
(Naturally, if this isn't in the right subforum, please accept my apology in advance and move it to the correct area.)

I wanted to share my latest project with all of you as it progresses. I rewired my NES-04 controller to accept inputs from Suzo-Happ buttons (Cherry switches) and a Sanwa joystick (stiff spring, upgraded actuator, 8-way gate). Tested the wiring on a panel ripped from a non-working fight stick, and it all works beautifully.

I'm currently in the process of building the control panel itself, which obviously takes much more time. You can see the top piece design in the pictures. It'll swing open on hinges in the back for maintenance, much like opening a chest. It'll also have T-molding trim and a cushioned pad underneath for setting on your lap while playing.

I'll be keeping everyone updated in this thread and I hope it entertains at least some of you.

[Question for the advanced NES techies: will a direct rewiring from PCB to arcade components, like the one I've performed, be OK in the long-term? There are no weird voltage differences that need to be regulated, are there? Your input is greatly valued.]

T_O

Edited: 03/06/2019 at 07:04 PM by HeadcolorsTV

Mar 08 at 12:03:28 PM
HeadcolorsTV (0)
New York
Some more pics. Got the decal designed and ready to send to my "vinyl girl." Also, I've assembled the body (except the top) to check for levelness and see where I need to even/smooth things out. It looks kinda rough right now, but it'll look much sexier soon.

Mar 08 at 2:01:39 PM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
I like it! Only issue for me is that it seems a waste to dedicate exclusively to the NES with so many other systems of that era in need of a better solution (Master System, TurboGrafx-16, 7800 ProSystem, etc). I'd definitely be making it modular if I were doing this.  

Is your vinyl girl going to use printable vinyl or would that be different vinyl cuts that are layered with transfer paper? I've got a floor-standing plotter cutter and a large-format photo printer but I've never used them for this stuff. Haven't used the plotter at all yet but it came with a huge roll of adhesive-backed green sticker vinyl. Maybe I should do a 2P version.  

Mar 08 at 2:16:43 PM
HeadcolorsTV (0)
New York
Originally posted by: CZroe

I like it! Only issue for me is that it seems a waste to dedicate exclusively to the NES with so many other systems of that era in need of a better solution (Master System, TurboGrafx-16, 7800 ProSystem, etc). I'd definitely be making it modular if I were doing this.  

Is your vinyl girl going to use printable vinyl or would that be different vinyl cuts that are layered with transfer paper? I've got a floor-standing plotter cutter and a large-format photo printer but I've never used them for this stuff. Haven't used the plotter at all yet but it came with a huge roll of adhesive-backed green sticker vinyl. Maybe I should do a 2P version.  
Not quite sure what she uses, exactly. But I do know she knows what she's doing. 🙂

My thinking was, the NES is a legendary console for ports of '80s classic arcade titles, but has a less-than-great arcade stick. I wanna play Popeye, Mario Bros., DK Classics, Gradius, TMNT2, etc., "the way they're meant to be played" (forgive the cliché , with a controller that can do the job well. It gives the optimal experience.

Also? This is my first project of this type, so what better to get practice with than a simple, four-button controller?

Trust me--if this turns out well, there will be more, for other systems, and I'll be happy to bring everyone along for the ride.

Mar 09 at 12:27:51 PM
HeadcolorsTV (0)
New York
Got the body planed and smoothed out, and pre-installed the catches for hole location. Soon I'll...

- test the hinges
- set the location for the PCB
- disassemble
- finish the pieces with lacquer (for the inside)
- cut the plexiglass for the top piece
- etc etc

Edited: 03/09/2019 at 12:28 PM by HeadcolorsTV

Mar 18 at 4:14:55 PM
HeadcolorsTV (0)
New York
Bottom is cushioned, plexiglass overlay is cut and ready, and the frame is ready for the paint to go on.

Realized my connection for vinyl doesn't do one-piece prints, so I'm looking to simply send the ai file to FedEx Office or similar, and cut the holes myself.

Edited: 03/18/2019 at 04:15 PM by HeadcolorsTV

Mar 21 at 7:36:03 PM
HeadcolorsTV (0)
New York
Okay everybody...

I'm so excited for the final outcome of this project that I'm STRONGLY considering making more to order if anyone's interested. And I've taken the time, while waiting for the clear coat to harden over the week, to design a few more CPOs, and offer options.

The stick should be 100% done and ready to show off some time this weekend. We'll see. Fingers crossed. 

PM me if you'd be interested in owning one of these.

Mar 21 at 11:34:57 PM
Khromak (16)

(Sean Dumont) < Crack Trooper >
New York
I'm definitely excited to see the final product and, depending how much it cost, would probably be interested. PM'd

Mar 23 at 2:09:43 PM
NESHomebrew (21)
(Brad Bateman - Strange Brew Games) < King Solomon >
Saskatchewan
Originally posted by: HeadcolorsTV

[Question for the advanced NES techies: will a direct rewiring from PCB to arcade components, like the one I've performed, be OK in the long-term? There are no weird voltage differences that need to be regulated, are there? Your input is greatly valued.]

It shouldn't be an issue.  It's just making a physical connection.  The voltage rating is more about what it can handle, not what it requires.  Mine has been running fine for years without a problem.

https://cdn.instructables.com/F5U...

Mar 23 at 3:24:04 PM
HeadcolorsTV (0)
New York
Originally posted by: NESHomebrew

It shouldn't be an issue.  It's just making a physical connection.  The voltage rating is more about what it can handle, not what it requires.  Mine has been running fine for years without a problem.

https://cdn.instructables.com/F5U/RWNY/GLGCJMNK/F5URWNYGLGCJ...

Excellent! 

I just finished the control panel piece—polish, decal, plexiglass overlay and T-molding—and am letting some glue dry on the body. This evening, I'll be installing all the components…and then she'll be ready.

Mar 24 at 11:12:00 PM
HeadcolorsTV (0)
New York
And here it is, folks.

(See it on Twitter | Instagram)

Mar 27 at 2:30:44 PM
TylerBarnes (0)
(Tyler Barnes) < Little Mac >
Texas
That things looks big enough to house a whole NES. Would have loved to see an all in one. Like, just pop the cart in the top plug in AV and power and your set! All in all looks great. I love it.

Mar 27 at 3:21:00 PM
HeadcolorsTV (0)
New York
Originally posted by: TylerBarnes

That things looks big enough to house a whole NES. Would have loved to see an all in one. Like, just pop the cart in the top plug in AV and power and your set! All in all looks great. I love it.
Thank you.  

I considered housing the console inside, but decided it would negate the lightweight qualities, make multiplayer very difficult/inconvenient, and be too susceptible to shock/impact. The extra cost just wasn't worth it to me, especially if I want to turn some around and sell them to others.

Mar 27 at 8:17:11 PM
TylerBarnes (0)
(Tyler Barnes) < Little Mac >
Texas

Thank you.  

I considered housing the console inside, but decided it would negate the lightweight qualities, make multiplayer very difficult/inconvenient, and be too susceptible to shock/impact. The extra cost just wasn't worth it to me, especially if I want to turn some around and sell them to others.

Ah yes, shock damage was not on my mind. That would be a deal breaker for me too. Crashing games during heated moments of gameplay would not be fun. 

Mar 27 at 8:28:32 PM
HeadcolorsTV (0)
New York

Thank you.  

Ah yes, shock damage was not on my mind. That would be a deal breaker for me too. Crashing games during heated moments of gameplay would not be fun. 

Especially with heavy hands like mine. I even made sure to get the stiffer spring for my Sanwa joystick because of that. And boy do I slap buttons.

Mar 27 at 9:15:05 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
This is dope man, well done.

-------------------------

Mar 29 at 1:04:06 AM
HeadcolorsTV (0)
New York
While I'm thinking about it, I might as well list the full features of this stick:

Hardwood body
Sanwa joystick, 4lb tension spring, upgraded actuator
Suzo-Happ concave buttons
Cherry microswitches
24 AWG wire throughout
Hinges for swing-open access from the top
Catches (1 heavy-duty magnetic in front, 2 mechanical for the sides) under the control panel for secure closing.
Automotive paint & clearcoat exterior, buffed and polished
T-molding trim
Clear lacquer interior
Cushioned bottom (faux velour, foam padding) for lap comfort
Plexiglass overlay protector
Decal designed in Illustrator, printed on matte adhesive stock

Apr 04 at 5:55:24 PM
andrew m (0)

< Cherub >
That is definitely a thing of beauty man. I need to get myself some more free time, I've always wanted to do something to fuse together a couple of Advantages to make the ultimate in Smash TV NES controls.

Jun 14 at 11:38:28 AM
Khromak (16)

(Sean Dumont) < Crack Trooper >
New York
Bump for my man here. I signed up for the informational emails and wow, the final product looks amazing. I've signed up to have one made and highly suggest you do the same. GL dude