Welcome to AVS Scoreboard Topic!

Sep 8, 2016 at 2:38:31 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: SoleGooseProductions

Originally posted by: Jerbilly

Originally posted by: KHAN Games

Can't wait to dominate the scoreboard with my sick skills!

Hey man, I just want to know who the true Marble Madness master is.

I hear that he's really tall, like really tall.

Shorter than The Mountain, but taller than The Hound.

-------------------------

Sep 8, 2016 at 4:00:50 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
Alas, I guess I will have to secure a Powerpack with the AVS and submit a Lunar Pool score.
I am so not looking to spend 3 to 4 hours measuring angles and counting ticks for the shots again.

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Sep 8, 2016 at 4:43:49 PM
thenickross (134)
(nick ross) < King Solomon >
United States
I'm going to make a play for an avs soon. Though I o my play about a dozen games, it'll be fun to put some scores up.

Yes, that's me in my avatar. 

Sep 8, 2016 at 5:17:57 PM
ookii_risu (66)
(Tonya B) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Can't wait to try this out! I've never been a very good high-score player, but I think it's neat to be able to keep track of your personal bests.

Sep 8, 2016 at 5:23:16 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
^ I don't expect to put up any high scores, but it'll be fun to mess around with it and see how you rank.

Sep 8, 2016 at 5:45:45 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

Alas, I guess I will have to secure a Powerpack with the AVS and submit a Lunar Pool score.
I am so not looking to spend 3 to 4 hours measuring angles and counting ticks for the shots again.

Do you not have a copy? I'm 99% sure I have a double, would be happy to ship you a copy for free. Label might be a bit beat though. 

Sep 8, 2016 at 5:49:31 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

Do you not have a copy? I'm 99% sure I have a double, would be happy to ship you a copy for free. Label might be a bit beat though. 

I am not much of a collector, so no. I had to use an emulator when Lunar Pool showed up at the weekly contest.
Not a big fan of the game either! It was the first time I was playing it.
I just had fun breaking it apart.  

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Sep 8, 2016 at 5:58:48 PM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
Magmax is the shit, go play it.

Originally posted by: empire

Pimp and csylve were streaming on twitch on the weekend as they played the AVS and score submissions. Looks great, but it's only a matter of time on some games where the leaderboard will be maxed out scores. I know it's intended for fun, but theres always someone that will grind it out for 8 hours to max a score.

I played Super C for over 3 hours, could have maxed the score out if I played for another 5 or 6. Unfortunately I have some what of a life out side of my basement and had to commit.

Looks like your going to have some competition if you want that Ultimate Frogger score http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?...

Playas Guide Logo

Edited: 09/08/2016 at 05:59 PM by ne$_pimp

Sep 8, 2016 at 10:50:09 PM
fsped09 (234)
(( nes-city.com )) < King Solomon >
New York
So cool!!

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:34:19 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Haven't read through this yet, but heres some random thoughts before there are some more formal threads:

There are ~250 games, with more being added (mostly homebrews). Games with multiple versions also need to be added more. All that is server side so no updates on the user side are needed.

Right now PAL support is pretty limited because zzap has been too busy to play   Almost all games are only listed in NTSC. Again all server side.

Some games will never work well because they do things like clearing the score immediately when you die.

More advanced metrics besides highest score are coming, but there is a UI problem when one submission triggers multiple score results. That will also handle cases like games with difficulty levels, and games where a lower score is better.

A standalone Scoreboard board (bored?) is still in the plans but the case is the hard part. There probably has to be a front loader and top loader version for the different thicknesses of pcb too.

If you are expecting a perfect system where there are no cheaters or grinders, this isn't it! There are multiple integrity checks but many cheat paths or gray areas can only be seen with a video recording. The NA friends system is tied in, and there will be clans/challenges/etc later, so you can pay attention to only who you want to. In the extreme cases scores can be wiped or users banned.

Sep 9, 2016 at 12:22:44 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
^cool

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Sep 9, 2016 at 12:41:23 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
I'll be more than happy to give my best for the games that fit the system. Okay, it can't be perfect, but oh my god will this feature be exciting. I just can't wait to play and challenge scores with that feature, I've been waiting for this for years and have been an enthusiast since the first minute I heard about the project. Awesome idea to implement it in the AVS, this was the cherry on top for me.

Sep 9, 2016 at 12:44:08 AM
empire (58)
(Not me! ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: ne$_pimp

Pimp and csylve were streaming on twitch on the weekend as they played the AVS and score submissions. Looks great, but it's only a matter of time on some games where the leaderboard will be maxed out scores. I know it's intended for fun, but theres always someone that will grind it out for 8 hours to max a score.

I played Super C for over 3 hours, could have maxed the score out if I played for another 5 or 6. Unfortunately I have some what of a life out side of my basement and had to commit.

Looks like your going to have some competition if you want that Ultimate Frogger score http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Scoreboard.GameR...

I dunno man, i've seen your youtube channel. You got way too much free time, playa  

SW-6786-5095-2210

Sep 9, 2016 at 10:12:57 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

The NA friends system is tied in, and there will be clans/challenges/etc later, so you can pay attention to only who you want to. In the extreme cases scores can be wiped or users banned.
We've been working on this for years now, on and off, and I think once this is moving along, we'll start to flesh out more features if it's popular enough. As Brian mentioned, we have several other areas in the works, but they're not ready for primetime (admittedly, I've been a bit lazy on the scoreboard front). We have new areas for clans, achievements, and contests, and some social-media-like features where you can follow and be followed, etc. Those will likely get finished up sometime this winter or as time permits, but I think before we do, we'll add them to our beta site and get some feedback to ensure they're what people want and will use.

We are also adding the ability to self-submit scores for personal tracking (these would not be counted in the overall rankings) and we've toyed with the idea to allow for scores to be submitted on behalf of someone via a scoring judge. The sky is the limit here realistically, so it should be fun to see where this goes from here.

Sep 9, 2016 at 10:27:48 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

If you are expecting a perfect system where there are no cheaters or grinders, this isn't it! There are multiple integrity checks but many cheat paths or gray areas can only be seen with a video recording. The NA friends system is tied in, and there will be clans/challenges/etc later, so you can pay attention to only who you want to. In the extreme cases scores can be wiped or users banned.
For most of the grinding games, the "max no-grind" score is readily calculable, so it's at least possible to detect when something illegitimate has DEFINTIELY happened (i.e. if you grind the rooms in POW for instance, or the baseball bat ghost in Double Dragon).

But that doesn't prevent a person from grinding to some threshold and then playing it safe through the rest of the game, of course.

Not suggesting that Scoreboard would know and calculate these things.

Just that the community, if we cared to, could build up the calculation of what is theoretically possible for certain games, and have that information available to those who cared to know.

Sep 9, 2016 at 11:25:11 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

For most of the grinding games, the "max no-grind" score is readily calculable, so it's at least possible to detect when something illegitimate has DEFINTIELY happened (i.e. if you grind the rooms in POW for instance, or the baseball bat ghost in Double Dragon).

But that doesn't prevent a person from grinding to some threshold and then playing it safe through the rest of the game, of course.

Not suggesting that Scoreboard would know and calculate these things.

Just that the community, if we cared to, could build up the calculation of what is theoretically possible for certain games, and have that information available to those who cared to know.

One of my thoughts. 

And, of course, good players will know what a legit score should look like, and the community has enough knowledge to determine each games legit score.  but then it's going to turn into,well that guys first place score is suspect , this and that yadayadayada. 

Back to your point of pressing just enough to look legit. like gyruss. You could potentially Max the score on the first stage. That's where you would see tied first place perfect scores. 

I presume there wont be any games with broken max points though. It would be clearer cut that way. 

But I like this. I will post some scores   
And I think the community here on NA are pretty legit. I don't think there are a bunch of wana bes who would fudge a score. 

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Sep 9, 2016 at 11:56:47 AM
Benihana (154)
(Don't Stop Believin!) < Master Higgins >
Washington
Originally posted by: Foochie776

Is there a list of games high scores will be kept for?

This is the first thing on my to do list this weekend. I want to make a post of what games are ready and when to submit your score (game over/high score/new game screens) This way players will know exactly what to do and not loose their high scores before Nes cart erases them. There will also be a list of games that won't work (yet) and why...and the thread will be a good location for new addition requests to be filed.

My Biggest Fear is...She Sells my Games for the Amount I told her I paid for them.

Vintage.Nintendoage.com for LIFE!

Edited: 09/09/2016 at 11:57 AM by Benihana

Sep 9, 2016 at 12:43:25 PM
StuOhQ (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
Can't wait to try this out. Just watching RetroUSB for my shipping confirmation  

Retro Tech Select
Check out my YouTube Channel for old-school gaming goodness!

Sep 9, 2016 at 1:05:43 PM
garbanzo (6)
< Little Mac >
Colorado
Such an amazing idea. I can't even imagine how it must work - there's no API for NES games!

Anyone who is worried about cheating is taking this way to seriously...

Sep 9, 2016 at 1:07:06 PM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: Benihana

I cant wait to get knocked down a few pegs once real players get this in their hands.

Ohh I didn't think about this. The first few days bad players like me will have an advantage, especially on the games no one really plays. I'm going to go for the Deathbots and Great Waldo Search high score day 1 so I can finally feel good at something!

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Sep 9, 2016 at 1:12:54 PM
Foochie776 (240)
(Obi Wan Kenobi) < Bowser >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: Benihana

Originally posted by: Foochie776

Is there a list of games high scores will be kept for?

This is the first thing on my to do list this weekend. I want to make a post of what games are ready and when to submit your score (game over/high score/new game screens) This way players will know exactly what to do and not loose their high scores before Nes cart erases them. There will also be a list of games that won't work (yet) and why...and the thread will be a good location for new addition requests to be filed.

I look forward to that Beni! Thanks for the hard work!!

May the force be with you.

Sep 9, 2016 at 2:46:32 PM
Zzap (47)
(James ) < King Solomon >
Australia
While there are single high scores, there are also an overall ranking for players! So even if you're amazing at one game and bad at others you'll rank average!

Chunkout for iPhone, iPad and iTouch out now!
Chunkout Games: FaceBook | Web

Sep 9, 2016 at 5:24:06 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: ne$_pimp

Looks like your going to have some competition if you want that Ultimate Frogger score http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Scoreboard.GameR...

Trust me. I haven't tried on the scorebard yet. The scores I have up were just to make sure they worked. You'll feel the wrath of the KHAN soon.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Sep 9, 2016 at 7:25:51 PM
winterion (16)
(Daniel Greenberg) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
I'm not sure what or how you sorcerers are making this happen, but I'm a career software developer willing to throw in a couple hours of extra help here and there.

Daniel Greenberg, Founder of Winterion Game Studios Daniel Greenberg, George Mason University Game Design
Founder of Winterion Game Studios
Visit us online! winterion.com
Watch us on YouTube

Sep 9, 2016 at 8:06:23 PM
Commander Santa (178)
(Santa ) < King Solomon >
New York
Is there anyway the AVS could be implemented into the weekly contests - or have something similar to the weekly contests that involve the AVS?

I ordered an AVS - being most excited by the scoreboard feature.
Some of the best NES players on earth are here on NA.

Watching them all battle it out (and joining in) is something I always wanted to do when I was a kid.
...it's also why I love the weekly NA contests here so much too.

Santa's 8-bit Xmas Hall of Heroes
bunnyboy, psychobear85, superbobby, captmorgandrinker, guillavoie, KHAN Games (backup from Jon Solo), fsped09 & zi