Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join
Oct 24, 2008 at 3:23:36 PM
8bit-sniper (10)
< Meka Chicken >
United States
Originally posted by: dangevin

I don't see why emulators would be disallowed. Why require a person have a collection of physical games in order to participate when there's a perfectly good substitute.

Like you said, it's a friendly competition. Simply requesting that people follow the rules should be enough.

I feel that using an emulator kinda defeats the purpose of the competition. So if an emulator is ok, can I then use the roms which are emulated via my R4DS to compete? I feel that requiring people to use the cart/console based format as a basic ground rule, would eliminate any possible validity concerns or arguments that might arise. I mean, most likely all the games being played month per month will be rather common titles, nothing uber rare like little samson or BB2. As for the Game Genie or Copy Nes cheating, I guess that will have to be based on the honor system. Its just my opinion, I'm looking to step on any toes.

Oct 24, 2008 at 3:33:55 PM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
It's a friendly contest, isn't it? Why would anyone be concerned with validity, or argue about results? Everything would be submitted privately through an email account.

Why would we have an honor system for the console itself, but not for emulators?

I'm not sure what an R4DS is, sounds like the software you use to run things on your Nintendo DS. But if it plays the original ripped roms from the games, then it's fine with me.

Then again, this isn't my contest at all. I'm just looking for one good reason why someone wouldn't be able to play the original game roms using a keyboard. There's dozens of different interfaces you can plug into your NES. Any of those restricted?

-------------------------

Oct 24, 2008 at 3:55:40 PM
8bit-sniper (10)
< Meka Chicken >
United States
Originally posted by: dangevin

It's a friendly contest, isn't it? Why would anyone be concerned with validity, or argue about results? Everything would be submitted privately through an email account.

Why would we have an honor system for the console itself, but not for emulators?

I'm not sure what an R4DS is, sounds like the software you use to run things on your Nintendo DS. But if it plays the original ripped roms from the games, then it's fine with me.

Then again, this isn't my contest at all. I'm just looking for one good reason why someone wouldn't be able to play the original game roms using a keyboard. There's dozens of different interfaces you can plug into your NES. Any of those restricted?

I'm not looking to argue, it was just a thought. Sorry if this upset anyone. I'll stay out of it.

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:02:16 PM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
I'm just asking questions, man. Do I sound upset?

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:12:46 PM
8bit-sniper (10)
< Meka Chicken >
United States
Nah man, its fine.

Oct 24, 2008 at 6:11:09 PM
Braveheart69 (222)
(AKA BLACKBOXY) < Wiz's Mom >
Washington
I like this idea too, any reason to play games I normally wouldn't make time for is cool by me. However I would make one distinct change to this. I like the cartridge Icon but I don't want to see a user name and a flood of icons especially the same one. This should be an award with bragging rights. Like with my fantasy football league we have a trophy and the winner each year gets to keep it until the next champ is crowned, kinda like Stanley Cup whatever. I say the winner's icon be a rotational thing and the current Power Player gets to keep it until they are dethroned!

I HAVE IT ALL NOW NES WISE!  Unless you come across a Canadian DK JR MATH... if so I'm a Buyer!
USA GG set (Including all variants): COMPLETE!   Set includes 244 / 257 Sealed/NEW!
Euro GG set (Including all variants): Missing 9 boxes, 9 books, 9 carts.
Japan GG set: COMPLETE!  196/196
Brazil GG set: Have 61/68.  Need 5 boxes, 7 books, 3 carts.
GG Pirate Total68 different & Counting, Including Car Licence!
GG Prototypes:  4

Oct 24, 2008 at 6:18:29 PM
Herbalist (139)
(Bill Brasky) < King Solomon >
Wisconsin
Thats what I was thinking too brave, you only hold the icon for the month following your victory, until a new winner is announced.
Emulators should be fine, as long as everyones honest. This whole idea revolves around the idea that people are required to practice honesty in their submissions. Personally, i dont see the point in cheating, like others have mentioned. Lie and "scam" the community you want to gain "recognition" in, for what? An icon?
I just thought it would be a fun idea to incorporate into the ezine, another reason to be excited when the new issue is about to come out.
I love the discussion so far, lets make this thing happen!

Oct 24, 2008 at 6:31:39 PM
projectingstars (95)
(S. K.) < King Solomon >
Washington
Yeah, I agree that the icon should only stay for the month after you are declared the winner of the contest. So, if the contest were to run throughout October, then the last day to submit a score would be October 31st. Then, the winner would have the NES cart icon displayed under their ranking (or someplace near there) from November 1st-November 30th.

Also, I think that emulators should be fine, since it is just a friendly competition. Personally, I would rather not compete that month than play on an emulator, but to each his own. I remember the NES contest held last February did not allow emulators (only the cart and an actual NES), but they were playing for real money, which is completely different.

"Absurdity is what I like most in life, and there's humor in struggling in ignorance. If you saw a man repeatedly running into a wall until he was a bloody pulp, after a while it would make you laugh because it becomes absurd".

-David Lynch

Oct 24, 2008 at 11:46:46 PM
Marton (95)
(Martin T) < Ridley Wrangler >
Quebec
And the last contest, they needed to prove by pictures their scores. Personally I would be against that, as don't have a camera anymore and can't upload pictures with my shitty 56K connection. By the way, this is a great great idea and a good opportunity to try the game we never play.

Download my band's FREE ALBUM ! http://thenewrome.bandcamp.com/...

Oct 25, 2008 at 12:00:03 AM
nesdude (122)
(Matt Yanders) < Ridley Wrangler >
Iowa
The only thing with running it until the last day of the month, is it might make it hard on the guys who make the ezine, since it comes out on the 1st.

Oct 25, 2008 at 1:08:09 AM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
It would have to be 3 weeks: from the 1st till the 21st, every month. No late entries or exceptions. Really, this is a very long duration for any contest though, the best contests are only a week or two max. People get frustrated, lose interest, just plain forget about it, etc after a few days of trying.

Photo record really shouldn't be necessary but I would greatly encourage it. Being a visual medium, the e-Zine always benefits from great crazy pics of our community. If you've got something stellar, or even something passable and you want to make a fool of yourself, set the camera to 15-second delay and jump in front of it. We may put you in the gallery even if you're not a top finisher.

Oct 25, 2008 at 9:17:39 AM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
This is really a great idea! One suggestion though...

I like the idea of the cartridge icon staying with one person one month, and then going to another person the next month, but how about a sticky that records winners by month? That way your accomplishments live on forever in a thread, but we don't have elevnty billion new icons on the site. I have no problem keeping a thread like that up to date if anyone is interested, it can also have a list of the rules and requirements.

A photo should either be required or strongly encouraged. Not just for proof that the feet has been made, but as Dan said Ezine = Pictures!

Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Edited: 10/25/2008 at 09:18 AM by MrMark0673

Oct 25, 2008 at 9:36:34 AM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
^ they'll be published in the e-Zine for posterity, just like the Players' Pulse.

Oct 25, 2008 at 1:03:19 PM
KennyB (14)
(No Go ogle result) < Eggplant Wizard >
Belgium
Perhaps also a player of the year throphy ? 

The person with the most monthly wins gets a icon that he is currently at the lead. 
If someone else wins more monthly games, he gets's the icon.
if scores are equal; the icon/title stays with the person who got that amount of wins first.

At the end of the year: the player with the most wins get a "Player of the Year 2008" title beneath his name (or something like that)

For example:

• Player 1 wins first month: Monthly + year throphy
  • Player 2 wins second month: Monthly  throphy  
  • Player 2 wins third month: Monthly  throphy + year throphy
  • Player 2 has the most wins at the end of the year: Player of the Year 2008

Oct 25, 2008 at 8:34:13 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
I'm glad everybody seems interested in this one! It's definitely an exciting idea.

My stance: any means of playing should be allowed. The purpose is to encourage people to play games they might not otherwise play. I don't want to burden people financially when the whole purpose is FUN.

Oct 25, 2008 at 11:34:54 PM
Dr. Morbis (30)
(Basil T) < Kraid Killer >
Alberta
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

My stance: any means of playing should be allowed.

Fine, then maybe I'll use my Famicom

My mantra, as worded by SamSpade on 06/12/12:
I don't resell to fund my collection, I don't treat this hobby like a second job, I don't care if my collection is worth ten bucks or ten thousand because I never plan on selling it. Seriously, what does the value have to do with anything if you never plan on selling? Speculation doesn't mean jack shit to me at this point, I just want to play my nes games...

Oct 25, 2008 at 11:50:31 PM
Zzap (47)
(James ) < King Solomon >
Australia
I'll use cardboard cutouts and reenact the gameplay

Chunkout for iPhone, iPad and iTouch out now!
Chunkout Games: FaceBook | Web

Oct 26, 2008 at 9:08:51 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Basil - if that makes you happy, as long as it's the NES game you're playing and not the Famicom version

Zzap - if you have time and inclination to do that accurately, I wouldn't dare stand in your way

Oct 26, 2008 at 1:28:40 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
This sounds like a lot of fun. I hope people participate!!

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Oct 27, 2008 at 2:38:53 PM
TheLostEyeball (8)
(Chris s) < Meka Chicken >
British Columbia
I think you guys are thinking to small? Just once a month? I think this should be an ongoing event. Like a twin galaxies on NA. Lets face it Twin Galaxies has the best players in the world. Many of us would not even try to compete. Did you guys play these games when they came out to be the best in the world? Or was it to be the best among your friends? I stated in my other thread that we should get a board devoted to it. I would be totally up for organizing and judging the game play if no one wants to. I would also be fine with organizing tournaments (maybe we could even get some prizes going) and even giving out game tips to those who ask. I do really want to be a part of this website and I really do think that this is the way I can do it. Im sure this is a good idea and everyone would benefit from it...

Let me know what you guys think.

Ask about my free taco's. :D

Oct 27, 2008 at 3:05:10 PM
nesdude (122)
(Matt Yanders) < Ridley Wrangler >
Iowa
Its hard to get participation, sure people start out motivated, but they lose interest quick. I think the ezine contest idea will work out much better honestly.

Oct 27, 2008 at 3:25:40 PM
TheLostEyeball (8)
British Columbia
Originally posted by: NES_Dude

Its hard to get participation, sure people start out motivated, but they lose interest quick. I think the ezine contest idea will work out much better honestly.

How do you come to this conclusion? In what way would people lose interest? If player A loses his Hi-score to player B do you think that Player A will just leave it? To keep interest I would be willing to organize 3-5 weekly tournaments.  We are a community here at NA and I believe that this would only help us ban together.

Im not saying forget the Ezine contests...maybe they could be big ones with more benefits. All im saying is that we would benefit a lot more as a community we had a board dedicated to this. I think a lot of us are losing our ways. I mean didn't we start this hobby in the first place because of our love for the product?

As for participation i'm sure people would be willing to participate as long as its advertised correctly.  I am a marketing student, so again I would be willing to organize all the advertising as well. I promise you will find it much more fun on a daily/weekly/monthly basis then just monthly.

Thanks

~Chris

Oct 27, 2008 at 4:23:40 PM
Dr. Morbis (30)
(Basil T) < Kraid Killer >
Alberta
^ Have you ever participated in a gaming competition on an internet forum? Trust us, people lose interest What we've got in this thread right here is called "bar talk" - Oh yeah dude, I'd LOVE To fly with you to Mexico tomorrow morning... count me in duder!!!! - but once it comes time to actually participate, everyone ends up singing a whole other tune.

That said, I think this'll be fun if it's tied to the ezine and stays regular.

My mantra, as worded by SamSpade on 06/12/12:
I don't resell to fund my collection, I don't treat this hobby like a second job, I don't care if my collection is worth ten bucks or ten thousand because I never plan on selling it. Seriously, what does the value have to do with anything if you never plan on selling? Speculation doesn't mean jack shit to me at this point, I just want to play my nes games...

Oct 27, 2008 at 4:27:42 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Good synopsis Basil.

Chris - I think the idea with more staying power would be to do this gradually and use the eZine as a vehicle for publicity like we've talked about. Keeping things narrow in scope to begin with will keep it from getting watered down or overwhelming early on.

Oct 27, 2008 at 4:34:20 PM
TheLostEyeball (8)
British Columbia

Hmmm I must say I have not participated in an internet video game contest however...I have ran a 3 day video game contest for a final project for a business class. We produced revenues of over $1200 over the course of 3 days if that would hold any credibility to me.

The thing I did learn is gamers are very lazy and need their hand held in order to get things done...and im the one who can hold their hand.