Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Nintendo Switch Post Presentation Discussion Caution: Raving fanboys and salty haters within.

Jan 12, 2017 at 10:18:43 AM
MuNKeY (151)
< Master Higgins >
Other
Depending on price will factor how long I'll wait, I usually don't buy new consoles at launch anyway so waiting isn't a big deal for me. All I'm interested in right now is Zelda.

-------------------------

Jan 12, 2017 at 10:32:49 AM
Quaze (116)
(Jordan C.) < Bowser >
British Columbia
Looking forward to it, getting one at launch regardless of....anything lol. The commercial alone sold me, my mind is made up. It could launch with 0 titles and cost twice what we're predicting and I'd be there at 7am with bells on to get one.

www.videogamesage.com...

Edited: 01/12/2017 at 10:33 AM by Quaze

Jan 12, 2017 at 10:35:31 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
I'm not usually a day 1 adopter of consoles (waited 1 year on the Wii U), but for Zelda I make an exception. I usually follow the 3 games rule, once there are 3 games that I consider must-plays I'll get the console. In this case I'll say Zelda counts as 2 and Pikmin would also be a must play for me.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Edited: 01/12/2017 at 10:35 AM by jonebone

Jan 12, 2017 at 10:38:37 AM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Considering that I didn't get my PS4 or Wii U until last December, my backlog of current gen is a little overwhelming. It would probably be pretty pointless for me to get this at launch., But I'm still excited. Maybe by next December I will be ready to pick one up.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Jan 12, 2017 at 10:57:11 AM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Some good posts in here that helped me think through my feelings on pre-ordering. I plan on watching the presentation out of curiosity, but waiting a good while before purchasing the Switch because:

1) Launch consoles tend to have issues
2) I bought a PS4 and shortly after the price dropped and they released the "pro" version
3) I have way too many games to play

So I personally will be waiting for some kind of deal like a price drop or bundle, a super cool edition that just looks awesome, a new and improved version, or just whenever I get bored with the things I have now.

This thing does look awesome and I am excited for you guys that will be getting it day one. I'm sure you'll have a blast.

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:27:11 AM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
Originally posted by: Guntz

Originally posted by: LaC

Didn't the NES come out in 1985 in North America?  It says 1986...

The NES was only available in small test markets during 1985. It wasn't until 1986 that the NES became available nation wide and in Canada.
I thought it did came out in '85, but rather late in '85. The funny thing is, the ad on which this one is based on has the NES at 1985, with it's reveal being early '85. 

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:49:06 AM
LaC (96)
< Lolo Lord >
Illinois
Originally posted by: BouncekDeLemos

The NES was only available in small test markets during 1985. It wasn't until 1986 that the NES became available nation wide and in Canada.
I thought it did came out in '85, but rather late in '85. The funny thing is, the ad on which this one is based on has the NES at 1985, with it's reveal being early '85. 

Yeah I could have sworn I saw it in 85.  My memory is vague these days though.
I would have loved to have been at booth 6500.  
I did get to go to the CES that was open to the public as a one time thing in Chicago. I believe that was in 1993. Seeing all those SNES games before they came out was amazing.  I remember seeing the CDI and Pioneer Laseractive and all those FMV games. What a time! 
It's too bad new Nintendo has lost alot of the flavor of old Nintendo.  And I feel all of us are hoping everytime they release a new console that old Nintendo will be back.  I'm afraid though that's its long gone and we will just be getting new iterations of Zelda/Mario until the end of time with some crazy new console gimmick. 

-------
Eprom

WTB
FS/FT

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:16:42 PM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida

Originally posted by: BouncekDeLemos

Yeah I could have sworn I saw it in 85.  My memory is vague these days though.
I would have loved to have been at booth 6500.  
I did get to go to the CES that was open to the public as a one time thing in Chicago. I believe that was in 1993. Seeing all those SNES games before they came out was amazing.  I remember seeing the CDI and Pioneer Laseractive and all those FMV games. What a time! 
It's too bad new Nintendo has lost alot of the flavor of old Nintendo.  And I feel all of us are hoping everytime they release a new console that old Nintendo will be back.  I'm afraid though that's its long gone and we will just be getting new iterations of Zelda/Mario until the end of time with some crazy new console gimmick. 

I kinda feel that their problem is that they've always had that flavor, however it just doesn't meld with the times. For a company that's under 130 years old, their mentaility has always been about experimental success, cards, and toys, hence why to this day Nintendo is mauled by people complaining about them doing what they do, being too "kid friendly" and not deviating from what they do and follow what other companies are doing--which isn't anything new... but that's probably the "problem".

Ever noticed that the success from the original NES wasn't due to it being just a video game console, since video games back then weren't seen as a profitable thing any more. The whole market crashed, and video games weren't something consumers were after. Nintendo pandered to the toy market, which is what they knew way before the NES was a thing. Stores wouldn't carry a "video game console" or a "computer device", but an "entertainment system"? With a R.O.B. "toy"? Which selling it as a toy with a robot rather than a gaming console is their early attempt of a gimmick, but one that actually worked. lol

And you see that "toy" mentaility today. Even with manufaturing items such as Amiibo and the NES Classic in such low quantities-- much like a toy manufaturer would do to artificially drive demand (remember Tickle Me Elmos, Furbys, and Beanie Babies?) It's totally a toy thing.

So I don't think they've invented the wheel, but rather continue to focus on what they always have known.  

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:18:30 PM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
Originally posted by: mattbep

Some good posts in here that helped me think through my feelings on pre-ordering. I plan on watching the presentation out of curiosity, but waiting a good while before purchasing the Switch because:

2) I bought a PS4 and shortly after the price dropped and they released the "pro" version

So I personally will be waiting for some kind of deal like a price drop or bundle, a super cool edition that just looks awesome, a new and improved version, or just whenever I get bored with the things I have now.

This thing does look awesome and I am excited for you guys that will be getting it day one. I'm sure you'll have a blast.
Price drop never really happened for the Wii U.  

That said, I had a defective launch Wii and the early replacement had an artifact issue that I only noticed when SSBB came out, not to mention all the launch consoles that had trouble reading DL games.

Yeah, it was kinda funny seeing all the fanboys making fun of DOA PS3 launch consoles and claiming that you never hear about this with Nintendo consoles. I actually bought a launch PS3 too, which eventually failed, but not nearly as soon (and more the fault of Grean Peace/RoHS/pB-free initiatives).

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:34:20 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Originally posted by: CZroe

I wouldn't expect the Switch to get a price drop either with all of the hype and inevitable limited production.

However, for those who don't remember, the original 3DS released at $249 and got a price drop to $169 within 2 or 4 months which is almost unheard of, percentage wise.  That was a situation where people showed they were happy to stay with the DS initially though, whereas Switch and Wii U will be entirely different.  

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Jan 12, 2017 at 1:40:42 PM
Allegro (8)
< Eggplant Wizard >
South Carolina
Originally posted by: jonebone

Originally posted by: CZroe

I wouldn't expect the Switch to get a price drop either with all of the hype and inevitable limited production.

However, for those who don't remember, the original 3DS released at $249 and got a price drop to $169 within 2 or 4 months which is almost unheard of, percentage wise.  That was a situation where people showed they were happy to stay with the DS initially though, whereas Switch and Wii U will be entirely different.  

We haven't seen a meaningful graphical increase, have no idea how much stronger its processor is than the Wii U (Zelda even appears to lag in the teaser trailer), they have yet to show us any really promising launch titles that aren't multiplat with the Wii U, and the chief gimmick of playing your games on the tablet is virtually the same, so I'm a little intrigued how you could consider them entirely different. The fact that the games are going onto cartridges?

Jan 12, 2017 at 2:59:18 PM
ZombieGuyGeezus (110)
(Kyle aka Zombieguygeezus ) < Master Higgins >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Allegro

Originally posted by: jonebone

That was a situation where people showed they were happy to stay with the DS initially though, whereas Switch and Wii U will be entirely different.  

We haven't seen a meaningful graphical increase, have no idea how much stronger its processor is than the Wii U (Zelda even appears to lag in the teaser trailer), they have yet to show us any really promising launch titles that aren't multiplat with the Wii U, and the chief gimmick of playing your games on the tablet is virtually the same, so I'm a little intrigued how you could consider them entirely different. The fact that the games are going onto cartridges?

Entirely different by in comparison to the DS to the 3DS. People werent willing to ditch their DS for that price point and personally, I gave my Wii U away for free years ago and now only want one to play Pokken. I couldnt care less about the Wii U or any games on the console outside of Pokken while I cannot wait for the Switch. So yeah, entirely different.

VideoGameSage.com

Jan 12, 2017 at 3:51:40 PM
Boosted52405 (487)
(Eric Bizzle) < Bowser >
Iowa
On top of the rumored lineup Jone shared, I did find Lego City Undercover listed on Amazon for the switch, just to share.

Jan 12, 2017 at 4:37:22 PM
teh lurv (118)
< King Solomon >
Massachusetts
The closer the Switch gets to launch, the more certain I am to wait a few months and let the dust settle before picking one up.

My son... gives me Helpful Nintendo Hints that are far too complex for the adult mind to comprehend. Here's a verbatim example: "OK, there's Ganon and miniature Ganon and there's these things like jelly beans and the miniature Ganon is more powerfuller, because when you touch him the flying eagles come down and the octopus shoots red rocks and the swamp takes longer." And the hell of it is, I know he's right. - Dave Barry

Jan 12, 2017 at 5:38:14 PM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
Super Mario RPG: Rabbids Invasion has got to be a joke. Splatoon: Counterattack and Super Mario Frost Land sound really strange too. I very highly doubt that leaked image is real.

Jan 12, 2017 at 5:42:07 PM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois

Super Mario RPG: Rabbids Invasion has got to be a joke. Splatoon: Counterattack and Super Mario Frost Land sound really strange too. I very highly doubt that leaked image is real.
This image has been floating around on Facebook.  Someone had some obvious fun with the game titles.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Edited: 01/12/2017 at 05:45 PM by TDIRunner

Jan 12, 2017 at 5:43:49 PM
ZBomber (6)
< El Ripper >
Massachusetts

Yup, it's pretty safe to say that image is fake. Someone took a lot of the common game rumours and put it together in a list with terrible names.

And I mean, it lists NBA 2k17 as a Q2 title. Those typically come out in September, so if they were releasing a version that has already been out for months they would release it at launch or just wait to release 2k18 in Q3.

Jan 12, 2017 at 6:55:20 PM
MuNKeY (151)
< Master Higgins >
Other
Just need to add a PROPER 2d Metroid, Star Tropics 1&2 HD with 3 in the works, Earthbound Trilogy HD, and a new Punch Out!!

Jan 12, 2017 at 7:06:20 PM
alekx (108)
(Alexander Kong) < Bowser >
Alberta
How long until this is live?

Jan 12, 2017 at 7:07:07 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: alekx

Did you read the first post?

www.videogamesage.com...

Jan 12, 2017 at 7:10:43 PM
alekx (108)
(Alexander Kong) < Bowser >
Alberta
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

Originally posted by: alekx

Did you read the first post?

I did and I didnt see mountain standard time (-7) Someone told me at 6pm which would mean in one hour just looking to confirm.

edit: looks like mountain (us) is the same as mountain standard time for canada, yay knowledge.

Edited: 01/12/2017 at 07:13 PM by alekx

Jan 12, 2017 at 7:17:29 PM
zeppelin03 (62)
< El Ripper >
Ohio
I have fairly low expectations for the success of this console. The rumors regarding the tech specs leave a little something to be desired for me. The performance is not everything, but cannot help but feel like 3rd party support will dry up if it isn't a handheld oriented title. Despite this I will try to get one day one. My girlfriend will be very upset if she cannot play the new Zelda.

Eventually there will be a couple titles that make it worthwhile for me but that will take a while. Wii U had windwaker HD and Super Mario 3d World which were enough for me to be happy with the console. I hope to see some great entries that are not rereleases.

Already had a cup of coffee and picked up some gelato for tonight. Ready for Nintendo to surprise and impress me.

Edited: 01/12/2017 at 07:18 PM by zeppelin03

Jan 12, 2017 at 7:29:10 PM
D~Funk (81)
(David Qualls) < Master Higgins >
Oregon

"Thats what i am, i'm just a grumpy guy with a big nose."

Jan 12, 2017 at 7:44:40 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
They really need to fuckin deliver, I wanna jump out of my goddamn chair.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Edited: 01/13/2017 at 12:08 PM by Uncle Meat

Jan 12, 2017 at 7:45:49 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: MuNKeY

Just need to add a PROPER 2d Metroid, Star Tropics 1&2 HD with 3 in the works, Earthbound Trilogy HD, and a new Punch Out!!

This would be the ideal situation but man.....I can't see them doing it, we would probably get something like Prime.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!