Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Presents: Legendary Wings Contest ends Sunday, 8/10/14 at 11 PM NA time

Aug 3, 2014 at 2:26:38 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Hello everyone and welcome to the latest installment of the Weekly Contests!  Bimmor the Mighty One here to present you mortals with a challenge.  It seems creatures from the Netherworld are threatening the very existance of mankind and I need for you to stop them.  How will you do this, you say?  Well, for starters, you WON'T be riding the mighty ostrich into battle.  We need to save those to make burgers for our victory party with the President of United States, ha ha ha!  Cast aside those wooden swords and garage can-lid shields, as those will do you know good.  For this mission, I endow you all with the ability to fire magic bullets and the Mighty Wing.  Take to the sky with your Mighty Wings and smite the evil from this land.  I hearby dub thee all...Legendary Wings!  Okay, would you all stop preening your feathers and go destroy evil?  As for me, I will be having some ostrich burgers with the President, ha ha ha!  Here are the rules:

• Play until Game Over
  • One playthrough only
  • Take your picture on the Game Over screen (Be quick)
  • Highest score wins
  • GENRE: Shoot ‘Em Up

The contest ends Sunday, 8/10/14 at 11 PM NA time.  Your user name MUST be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun

-------------------------

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 08/11/2014 at 04:09 PM by bimmy_lee

Aug 3, 2014 at 4:10:06 PM
Balloon_Kid (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
New York
It's been a while since I've played this game, but I remember 1cc'ing w/o having to put in a ton of practice. Does this game loop? If not, does the ending screen display the score?

EDIT:  I did a quick playthrough and noticed that if you collect at least 1 continue heart in the bonus stages, you won't have to worry about rushing to take a picture at the Game Over screen.  It doubles as the continue screen, and there's no countdown timer so you get all the time in the world to set up your shot.

Edited: 08/03/2014 at 07:11 PM by Balloon_Kid

Aug 3, 2014 at 10:25:07 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
It loops forever, hence why the 'one playthrough only' rule.

Aug 3, 2014 at 10:45:03 PM
Commander Santa (178)
(Santa ) < King Solomon >
New York

Damn...

Joy and sorrow at the same time.
Was over joyed to finally break a million...
...However, Balloon_Kid is the weekly leader. 
There is still work to be done.
That being said, the "Legendary Wings Millionaire's Club" now has 8 members.

Santa's 8-bit Xmas Hall of Heroes
bunnyboy, psychobear85, superbobby, captmorgandrinker, guillavoie, KHAN Games (backup from Jon Solo), fsped09 & zi

Edited: 08/10/2014 at 04:56 PM by Commander Santa

Aug 3, 2014 at 10:46:09 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
(Beady Eyed Man Boy) < Lolo Lord >
New Jersey

Edited: 08/08/2014 at 10:28 PM by BriGuy82

Aug 3, 2014 at 10:53:07 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
New Jersey
Damn Santa! My score looks like a little baby score next to that, now I'm gonna have to play some more real quick!

Aug 3, 2014 at 10:56:32 PM
Commander Santa (178)
New York
Originally posted by: BriGuy82

Damn Santa! My score looks like a little baby score next to that, now I'm gonna have to play some more real quick!

Bri,

Be sure to look for "Treasure Rooms"

I found out ths morning when you bomb certain ground enemies (1 per level?)  - this grey smoke comes out. Be sure to get sucked in by that and it'll take you to a special room with tons of points and 2 power ups.

I hated this game when I first started playing it last night, but I will not stop until I get to 1 million.

Can't wait to see the first person to post a + 1 million score. It'll be a good motivator.

bunnyboy, psychobear85, superbobby, captmorgandrinker, guillavoie, KHAN Games (backup from Jon Solo), fsped09 & zi

Aug 3, 2014 at 11:02:47 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
New Jersey
Originally posted by: Commander Santa

Originally posted by: BriGuy82

Bri,

Be sure to look for "Treasure Rooms"

I found out ths morning when you bomb certain ground enemies (1 per level?)  - this grey smoke comes out. Be sure to get sucked in by that and it'll take you to a special room with tons of points and 2 power ups.

I hated this game when I first started playing it last night, but I will not stop until I get to 1 million.

Can't wait to see the first person to post a + 1 million score. It'll be a good motivator.

Thanks for the tip Santa, this is my first time playing this one. I saw that grey smoke on the first level after bombing an enemy, but I actually avoided it. I'm gonna give it one more try real quick...

Aug 3, 2014 at 11:35:36 PM
EgasKrad (17)
(AJ ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin
I just played this for the first time and it reminded me of Dragon Spirit kind of, with the air and ground shots and similar character size. It also reminded me how much I suck at auto scroll shooters!

Aug 3, 2014 at 11:46:26 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Yeah,those bonus rooms definitely give you lots of points. I beat it earlier this year for the "Can NA beat every NES game in a year" thread. And it definitely suffers a little from the Gradius syndrome,as if you lose your power ups,you're somewhat SOL.

Aug 3, 2014 at 11:50:45 PM
Commander Santa (178)
New York
Updated score.

Could've had a damn mil, but panicked on the last level when I missed the Treasure Room and lost all of my power ups in the process.

...1 more try tonight, then I got other stuff to do.

Edited: 08/03/2014 at 11:51 PM by Commander Santa

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:09:29 AM
khog143 (73)
(Kevin Holbrook) < El Ripper >
Texas
Originally posted by: EgasKrad

I just played this for the first time and it reminded me of Dragon Spirit kind of, with the air and ground shots and similar character size. It also reminded me how much I suck at auto scroll shooters!

Plus the boss at the first level looks like the dragon from Dragon Spirit.

Aug 4, 2014 at 2:27:32 AM
scaryice (115)
(scary ice) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: EgasKrad

I like to call all these games Xevious-style shooters, since that was the first one to have such a system. Xevious was a really popular game in Japan, and I suppose that's why there's a ton of similar games on the system. Dragon Spirit is probably my favorite one.

WTB/WTTF - Famicom carts (56 needed):

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:28:22 PM
EgasKrad (17)
(AJ ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: scaryice

I like to call all these games Xevious-style shooters, since that was the first one to have such a system. Xevious was a really popular game in Japan, and I suppose that's why there's a ton of similar games on the system. Dragon Spirit is probably my favorite one.

Yeah, I can see that.  I haven't had a lot of experience with Xevious outside of the Atari 7800, and that was many years ago, so I didn't make the connection.  Also I'm in agreement on Dragon Spirit.  I'm not a huge shooter fan but it's one of my favorites.

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:12:30 PM
Balloon_Kid (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
New York
Originally posted by: guillavoie

It loops forever, hence why the 'one playthrough only' rule.

Whoops, I overlooked that bullet

Aug 4, 2014 at 8:45:23 PM
cmbatchuk (0)
(Ben Hall) < Crack Trooper >
Wisconsin
I think I can do better, but wanted to get a score up in case I didn't have a chance later. 600k of that probably came from the first life. Once you lose that power up, it's tough to gain any traction. 

Edited: 08/04/2014 at 08:46 PM by cmbatchuk

Aug 5, 2014 at 2:12:02 AM
ookii_risu (66)
(Tonya B) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
*Update below*

Here's my contribution (one playthrough taking a few hits).

I missed the second-to-last Lucky stage : (  
This time, I *nearly* evaded the last face on the final stage. Has anyone here been able to do it?

Edited: 08/07/2014 at 01:55 AM by ookii_risu

Aug 5, 2014 at 2:13:30 AM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Nice to see you posting a score ookii, it's been a while

Aug 5, 2014 at 2:22:00 AM
ookii_risu (66)
(Tonya B) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Thanks, Guil I wanted to get back into it now that the second half has started (and I couldn't say no to Legendary Wings!)

Aug 5, 2014 at 2:29:24 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: ookii_risu

This time, I *nearly* evaded the last face on the final stage. Has anyone here been able to do it?

I think I did when I last played it. I'm really looking forward to being able to play full force this week...hopefully.

Aug 5, 2014 at 8:45:42 AM
rdrunner (35)
(Tom Votava) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina

Nice job!

Missing the last face is doable, but yes, really tough.  What I find works well for me is to hover in place (by constantly pressing down) roughly even with the face's mouth.

That said, might as well get hit by all the faces.  There's points to be had in those Danger zones!

Tom Votava
http://rdrunner0077.blogspot.com/

Aug 5, 2014 at 1:32:03 PM
CLAYB1RD (105)
(Clay Myers) < El Ripper >
North Carolina
Score: 1,182,500

Is this the score you asked for Santa?

The score is pretty blurry, especially since I had to rush trying to get the picture taken in time and of course my camera is crappy when trying to focus in general. I have also included another picture just after defeating the final boss just because I had a feeling that this would happen.

Aug 5, 2014 at 2:19:13 PM
Commander Santa (178)
New York
Originally posted by: CLAYB1RD

Score: 1,182,500

Is this the score you asked for Santa?

The score is pretty blurry, especially since I had to rush trying to get the picture taken in time and of course my camera is crappy when trying to focus in general. I have also included another picture just after defeating the final boss just because I had a feeling that this would happen.

CLAYB1RD you did it!!!

Over 1 million!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't care how exhausted I am tonight, I'm going to do my best to top this amazing score.
The Legendary Wings 1 Million Point Club needs more members!

I'm going to do playthroughs with this song playing on my iPod until I can topple this beast of a score. (Thanks to South Park)

Live to Win! 

Aug 5, 2014 at 2:34:06 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Originally posted by: rdrunner

That said, might as well get hit by all the faces.  There's points to be had in those Danger zones!
Yeah that was pretty much my thought as well, why avoiding these danger zones when there's points to grap there! You must live a dangerous life to win contest!

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:33:16 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Humorous intro added to the first post for those of you who are interested

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread