Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

What happens when the Switch battery dies out for good?

Sep 29 at 9:02:30 AM
cartman (16)
(The Boss) < King Solomon >
Sweden
I mean it won't last forever right eventually it will not be able to charge up at all anymore.

Sep 29 at 9:08:09 AM
RegularGuyGamer (110)
(Kyle aka Zombieguygeezus ) < Master Higgins >
Pennsylvania
You'll replace it when a new one. Like you would when any other dead battery.

-------------------------

Sep 29 at 9:17:12 AM
Katchii (23)
< Meka Chicken >
Florida
Your Switch goes to Nintendo heaven...

Sep 29 at 9:23:21 AM
Space Jockey (145)
( Xenomorph ) < King Solomon >
Washington
You buy a new one and replace it? Tutorials online aplenty.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7855-4097-7884

Originally posted by: Space Jockey
Originally posted by: Guntz
On a more serious note, I've played EarthBound today for so long, I feel all tense and mentally worn out.
Then you called your mother and felt better?

Sep 29 at 10:41:51 AM
cartman (16)
Sweden
The process looks more like a mod though than something an everyday user should do. I don't think nintendo expects people to change it themselves their viewpoint is that if the warranty or consoles cycle is out then you should be done with the console anyway.

Sep 29 at 11:01:43 AM
phart010 (8)
(Paul Hart) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Nintendo has lots of experience with lithium batteries. They've been using them since GameBoy advance SP. How many years ago was that?

There's still plenty of GameBoy SP's that are holding a really good charge with the original battery

Sep 29 at 12:20:16 PM
empire (58)
(Not me! ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
99% of the people that own a Switch now won't care if the battery doesn't work in 30 years. And if they do, there's replacements just like with the GBA and DS

SW-6786-5095-2210

Sep 29 at 12:32:53 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Toss it in the bin and continue enjoying you Nintendo VR/AR Quint-Screen Joy Glove Mini Classic Advanced like the chrome wearing future man you are.

Sep 29 at 12:42:47 PM
cartman (16)
Sweden
Actually i heard somewhere someone raised the point or whatever about the SP and the loaded battery dying out and Nintendo's responsw was like "it will take X charges before thar happens". So basically the response was it will live very long and when it doesn't anymore then oh well, that issue is not part of the plan.

Sep 29 at 2:00:03 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: cartman

Actually i heard somewhere someone raised the point or whatever about the SP and the loaded battery dying out and Nintendo's responsw was like "it will take X charges before thar happens". So basically the response was it will live very long and when it doesn't anymore then oh well, that issue is not part of the plan.

That makes sense. They try to make it last as long as they can with the battery tech available at the time. It sure beats the handheld consoles that used AA batteries and drained them in a day or two. 

At least you can replace the Switch battery. Yeah, you have to remove a billion screws, but it is doable.

Sep 29 at 8:45:14 PM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado
Just throw it away and buy a Switch U.

Sep 29 at 9:47:27 PM
ALTQQ (79)
(I've lost my television remote do you know where i Should look?) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
Toss it in your recycling bin like a responsible adult.

I lost my television remote, have you seen it?

Sep 30 at 1:51:03 PM
cartman (16)
Sweden
Originally posted by: Tulpa

That makes sense. They try to make it last as long as they can with the battery tech available at the time. It sure beats the handheld consoles that used AA batteries and drained tj hem in a day or two. 

At least you can replace the Switch battery. Yeah, you have to remove a billion screws, but it is doable.

Yeah but with GB changing betteries was part of the plan while with Switch it isn't. it's considered old and obsolete when it happens to Switch.

Sep 30 at 2:10:26 PM
phart010 (8)
(Paul Hart) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Cmon Nintendo. You need to step up your game and start accomplishing the impossible

Sep 30 at 2:35:00 PM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
I know this isn't the preferred answer but the battery is only secondary. It can dock and get straight power and they also make wired controllers. So, loosing battery life will suck, but the console won't be completely useless.

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Sep 30 at 5:15:40 PM
koifish (2)
(Chris Deliz) < Crack Trooper >
Ohio
It's like any other rechargeable proprietary battery. If you want to keep it alive, buy replacements and replace the original when the time comes.

Incidentally this is why I recommend (and practice myself) keeping a stockpile of proprietary batteries for systems you particularly like. Over the years I have built up a small supply of nintendo-original batteries for GBA SP, New 3DS, DS Lite, and will soon be buying battery backups (if possible) for switch and maybe also my PS Vita. This is just something we have to prepare for as we prepare for anything else (like online service cancellation or HDD failure or disk lasers dying or capacitors giving out). Look up ownership for PC Engine, Sega hardware (esp. Game Gear), Playstation 1 and 2, Xbox and Xbox 360, for an easy source of much info on systems that demand some effort in their upkeep. Portables using non-standard rechargeable batteries will of course be problematic, as anyone who has had a phone battery die will tell you. It's just another fact of life if you are going to keep on with this hobby over many decades.

On the up side of the Switch is that it is dockable and can be played with wired controllers. That will keep it living long beyond the battery life.

The biggest pain in the butt going forward for Switch is just how many batteries will be in the mix. Just off the top of my head now:

-original switch battery
-switch lite battery
-joycon batteries
-pro controller batteries
-charge grip batteries (no doubt going to be rare too as I doubt many will buy charge grips)

To say nothing of someday if/when they bring out "switch pro" or "pro joycons" or even "VR joycons". They already have Labo and the upcoming fitness equipment to consider too. If you are a collector for Nintendo into the current century, and if you already have a lot of random Wii peripherals as part of that, then you are probably also looking at Switch now and thinking "Oh boy, here's another room of my collection for random bits of crap".  

Just be happy, enjoy the system as you can, and if you really love it then buy some extra batteries and learn how to replace batteries for this kind of hardware. If you don't, then don't worry about it. Worst comes to worst, you always have docked, and that will still be better than being stuck playing a portable that is permanently plugged into a wall.

My wanted list here: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...
My selling list here: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...
My ebay feedback history here: http://www.ebay.com/usr/kingkhole...

Sep 30 at 6:26:51 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

That makes sense. They try to make it last as long as they can with the battery tech available at the time. It sure beats the handheld consoles that used AA batteries and drained tj hem in a day or two. 

Yeah but with GB changing betteries was part of the plan while with Switch it isn't. it's considered old and obsolete when it happens to Switch.
How often do you realistically expect to change a Switch's battery? Two, maybe three at the most? Assuming you're still playing it twenty or so years from now?

And it is doable with a small Philips screwdriver and a bit of thermal paste. Try changing the battery of a Smartphone made in the last five or so years. You have to take the entire phone apart with specialized tools. And good luck getting every ribbon cable and screen component back in place.

Edited: 09/30/2019 at 06:29 PM by Tulpa

Sep 30 at 8:28:15 PM
caratekid (40)

(mark corrado) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Can't you just doc it and play?

Oct 01 at 5:13:04 AM
cartman (16)
Sweden

How often do you realistically expect to change a Switch's battery? Two, maybe three at the most? Assuming you're still playing it twenty or so years from now?

And it is doable with a small Philips screwdriver and a bit of thermal paste. Try changing the battery of a Smartphone made in the last five or so years. You have to take the entire phone apart with specialized tools. And good luck getting every ribbon cable and screen component back in place.

Not very often yeah.

Oct 01 at 7:59:04 PM
Estil (10)
< King Solomon >
Kentucky
If it dies, it dies.

My best friend Jamiee and my dearly departed Tweetie (2005-2012):
http://s650.photobucket.com/user/...

Collection:
NES (222)   SNES (98)   N64 (
29)   GC (31)   GEN (52)  
PS1 (39)   PS2 (23)   PS3 (8)   WII (11)   WIIU (6)
GBA (44)  GBC (12)   GB (25)   DS (14)   3DS (8)