Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Winter Tournament Presents Round 3, The Finals: Double Dragon 2 Contest ends Monday, 1/19/2015 at 11 PM NA time

Jan 14, 2015 at 9:28:10 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
According to Doug there is an issue in my scoring table, so take the exact totals with a grain of salt.

I am going to check my excel sheet tomorrow, but based on how the table was made either the hit point counts were wrong on some enemies or the damage per attack was off.

-------------------------

Jan 14, 2015 at 9:59:33 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

According to Doug there is an issue in my scoring table, so take the exact totals with a grain of salt.

I am going to check my excel sheet tomorrow, but based on how the table was made either the hit point counts were wrong on some enemies or the damage per attack was off.
Based on my TG record breaking run, the main issue is that the scores for the trap room stage are way off. My USB adapter quit working during the Rollerball contest so I can't try it on an emulator, but if I can manage a perfect run through the trap room on the cart, I'll post it. The score for the first level is also 1000 points too high based on my run. Everything else seemed to check out.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Edited: 01/14/2015 at 10:00 PM by bearcat-doug

Jan 15, 2015 at 2:05:28 AM
Thundercat08 (9)
(Alicia G) < Meka Chicken >
United States
DOOMED!!!!! Forget about the spinning cyclone kick, I can't even get used to the fact that the buttons change depending on which way you are facing. I am going to have to play until it becomes automatic, then I might get somewhere. How are guys able to get uppercuts consistly? I can only get them after a combo of punches, or sometimes after a failed jump kick.

Jan 15, 2015 at 7:56:59 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Thunder - we are talking about "hyper uppercuts". They can ONLY be done immediately following a jump or after being knocked down. Same goes for the flying knee.

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:04:35 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

Based on my TG record breaking run, the main issue is that the scores for the trap room stage are way off. My USB adapter quit working during the Rollerball contest so I can't try it on an emulator, but if I can manage a perfect run through the trap room on the cart, I'll post it. The score for the first level is also 1000 points too high based on my run. Everything else seemed to check out.
For Level 1 it looks like I had 1-too-many Ropers (had the initial 3, and the somehow counted 3 on the 2D platform -- maybe I glitched the game somehow to produce an extra one that time).

It's possible that for the trap room I had the numbers reversed about the "weak set" and the "strong set" of Ropers, and that might make up the difference.

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:46:18 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

For Level 1 it looks like I had 1-too-many Ropers (had the initial 3, and the somehow counted 3 on the 2D platform -- maybe I glitched the game somehow to produce an extra one that time).

It's possible that for the trap room I had the numbers reversed about the "weak set" and the "strong set" of Ropers, and that might make up the difference.

It looks like you left the three Ropers (c) from the final room of Level 7 off the scoring table. I think those are the stronger type as well, which would add 4500 points to the possible overall total, putting it at 164,500 after deducting the extra 1000 points from Level 1.

Edited: 01/15/2015 at 02:07 PM by bearcat-doug

Jan 15, 2015 at 2:11:15 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

It looks like you left the three Ropers (c) from the final room of Level 7 off the scoring table. I think those are the stronger type as well, which would add 4500 points to the possible overall total, putting it at 164,500 after deducting the extra 1000 points from Level 1.

What happened was that there should have been:

4 Ropers             (the super-strong guys for that level)
3 Ropers (b)      (the slightly stronger than avg guys for that level)

I accidentally had it column shifted by 1 column

Ends up shifting the potential maximum to 168k

Now, I don't think a "practical maximum" is anywhere close to that number, since no way do you have enough time to cyclone-kick-to-death the Burnov on the disappearing floor, at least not in my experience.

Though uppercutting the 4 super-strong Ropers is actually the same point return as cyclones (8000 pts!)

Edited: 01/15/2015 at 02:12 PM by arch_8ngel

Jan 15, 2015 at 2:23:37 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

What happened was that there should have been:

4 Ropers             (the super-strong guys for that level)
3 Ropers (b)      (the slightly stronger than avg guys for that level)

I accidentally had it column shifted by 1 column

Ends up shifting the potential maximum to 168k

Now, I don't think a "practical maximum" is anywhere close to that number, since no way do you have enough time to cyclone-kick-to-death the Burnov on the disappearing floor, at least not in my experience.

Though uppercutting the 4 super-strong Ropers is actually the same point return as cyclones (8000 pts!)

I may have to double check my math, but I'm getting a potential maximum of 166,500 after figuring in the changes.

Edited: 01/15/2015 at 03:57 PM by bearcat-doug

Jan 15, 2015 at 2:29:08 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

It is actually possible since the floor stops disappearing right before it gets completely past the door. You don't really have any room to work with, but it can be done if you're lucky.

Jan 15, 2015 at 4:31:41 PM
Thundercat08 (9)
(Alicia G) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Ahhh Thx

Thunder - we are talking about "hyper uppercuts". They can ONLY be done immediately following a jump or after being knocked down. Same goes for the flying knee.

Jan 15, 2015 at 5:42:00 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Made it to the trap room and died like an idiot on the final cog...

Jan 15, 2015 at 7:29:30 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

Made it to the trap room and died like an idiot on the final cog...

Jan 16, 2015 at 8:11:57 AM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
My toploader picked a great week to quit working. Thankfully I have backups.

I've been able to get to the last stage but not on one life. Maybe today is the day I actually beat DD2 for the first time.

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:25:52 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: arnpoly

I've been able to get to the last stage but not on one life. Maybe today is the day I actually beat DD2 for the first time.

Yeah, I've never beaten it on Supreme Master without "human sacrifice".

But I'm HOPING that a beat won't be necessary to rank, since it sounds like all four of us are pretty rusty on this one

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:34:37 AM
arnpoly (110)
Illinois
I hope so too.    I still think I can beat this game on one life but a lot of factors are going to have to line up for that to happen.  But I have really come a long way in the last three days of playing.

Take On The NES Library!

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:46:12 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

I hope so too.    I still think I can beat this game on one life but a lot of factors are going to have to line up for that to happen.  But I have really come a long way in the last three days of playing.
Yeah, I'm not too happy with my Mission 4 survival rate, right now.

A lot rides on how efficiently I can kill Simon and whether the Abobo stays close enough to take a couple knees to the face.

Getting through that stretch on one-life is probably the hardest part until the Burnov with the disappearing floor, and beyond that of course, the fact that the final level is all one continuous stretch with no health refills. (i.e. no doors/scene changes)

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:05:19 AM
khog143 (73)
(Kevin Holbrook) < El Ripper >
Texas
Man, I am not making very good progress. I have pretty much resigned myself to not beating the score posted earlier for Tier 2, and just hope I can finish in 3rd, rather than 4th.

Pretty much sucks, but I am not very good at beat 'em ups, except a exclusive few that I played when I was a kid and put a ton of time into.

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:08:53 AM
arnpoly (110)
Illinois

A lot rides on how efficiently I can kill Simon and whether the Abobo stays close enough to take a couple knees to the face.

Getting through that stretch on one-life is probably the hardest part until the Burnov with the disappearing floor, and beyond that of course, the fact that the final level is all one continuous stretch with no health refills. (i.e. no doors/scene changes)

Haha, same here.  Sometimes I can get through it and then sometimes I end up dying twice.  It's very inconsistent and I haven't honed in a good strategy yet.  Or just good luck.

I also fall out of the chopper too much.  But I'm getting better at avoiding that.

I'm also really good at dying right at the very end of the stage.  Especially levels 5 and 7.

Take On The NES Library!

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:14:00 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Haha, same here.  Sometimes I can get through it and then sometimes I end up dying twice.  It's very inconsistent and I haven't honed in a good strategy yet.  Or just good luck.

I also fall out of the chopper too much.  But I'm getting better at avoiding that.

I'm also really good at dying right at the very end of the stage.  Especially levels 5 and 7.

I've managed to avoid falling out the chopper, though that one used to get me all the time as a kid.

The real "trick" on that one is knowing when it is safe to risk attacking the Abobos. (or when the risk is highest that they will stun you while the door is open)

I don't think luck is as big a factor on Mission 4 as I sometimes make it out to be.
There fairly deterministic ways that the bad guys behave, and it really comes down to carefully figuring out what set of actions will put your uppercut or knee in contact with the two "big men" in the stage.  (though that assumes a perfectly practiced ability to always do a knee, or uppercut, which I definitely lack )

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:25:23 AM
arnpoly (110)
Illinois
The timing for moves in the game is really weird to me. I have gotten pretty good at Cyclone Kick and Uppercuts but it really took some repetition to figure it out, and even then I still miss the moves more often than I care to admit. The Knee is especially tricky for me to pull off, since it triggers close to how the Uppercut does but with a little different timing. What I mean is I have to punch just before or right as I land to do the Uppercut but I have to wait slightly longer to trigger the Knee and I miss it all the time. I think I probably do the Knee every 1 out of 5 tries. Still, it's nice to be able to use it in a pinch if I need it.

Take On The NES Library!

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:30:17 AM
arnpoly (110)
Illinois
Originally posted by: khog143

Man, I am not making very good progress. I have pretty much resigned myself to not beating the score posted earlier for Tier 2, and just hope I can finish in 3rd, rather than 4th.

Pretty much sucks, but I am not very good at beat 'em ups, except a exclusive few that I played when I was a kid and put a ton of time into.

I was right where you were at the beginning of the week.  I was sort of familiar with the game but never really played it much at all.  And I am not great at beat 'em ups either ... I can play them casually but it's not my genre whatsoever.  But I've improved a lot in the last three days and you can too, just keep at it!  Especially practice the power moves.  My game increased dramatically once I honed in on the Uppercut.

Take On The NES Library!

Jan 16, 2015 at 1:00:54 PM
Caleb47 (48)
(Steve S.) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
Originally posted by: khog143

I think you can beat it..I had to play it safe on some parts to avoid death but I played the crap out of this by myself and with friends all the time growing up. This one is beatable and alot easier (sans some of the platforming) once you get the timing right.
We have some good players in our tier so I figured I'd get the ball rolling but I know for a fact that this score can be beaten.

Jan 16, 2015 at 1:30:12 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Caleb47

We have some good players in our tier so I figured I'd get the ball rolling but I know for a fact that this score can be beaten.

I wouldn't sell your score short, either.  That is a strong score.

Especially considering you did it on one life.

Gives you lots of rooms to take more risks in a few places to find some of the other 25-30k you left on the table.

Jan 16, 2015 at 1:55:58 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
I need to get a 1 life run in just to see how much of a difference it makes on my score. I have a habit of favoring the uppercut more on the later levels when I'm trying to beat the game without losing a life.

Jan 16, 2015 at 2:18:44 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

I need to get a 1 life run in just to see how much of a difference it makes on my score. I have a habit of favoring the uppercut more on the later levels when I'm trying to beat the game without losing a life.
From my experience, so far, the couple of key places where 1-life-rule "costs points" are:

(1) Mission 4 tunnel --> how close to the raggedy edge you're willing to go to milk points, between the Simon, the Abobo, and knife throwers, and grenade throwers... I am CERTAIN I have left thousands on the table in this section.

(2) Mission 7 disappearing floor --> how long are you willing to spend maxing points versus staying safe with Burnov... again, at least a couple thousand on the table here, especially if you resort to the knee

Most other places, you aren't risking that much to max points versus how much damage you take, IMO.
(though, of course, having lives to spare, you get a bit of a stress-relief on the platforming segments )