Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Super Nintendo Component Data Base, New Section, etc...

Oct 10, 2007 at 11:02:47 PM
wolfsaq (146)
(The Big Bad Wolf) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania

Hello,
   I know I have only been a member for over a month, but I love Nintendo Age and I have some suggestions to make it better. I am not sure if it can be done, but not only am I a huge NES fan like we all are, but I am also a huge Super Nintendo and Nintendo 64 fan. I have noticed that when I post a Wanted or see a Selling thread for Super Nintendo or Nintendo 64 it gets lost in the shuffle with the Nintendo stuff. I know this site is dedicated for the hardcore NES fans, but I think there is a strong interest for Super Nintendo and Nintendo 64. Is there anyway to create a seperate area for just Super Nintendo and Nintendo 64 threads? That way it doesn't get lost in the shuffle with the NES stuff, which should dominate the site. Once you click on the SNES icon it can take you to a page that has the following threads: BUY and SELL, What is it WORTH?, TRADES, A complete US NTSC list of games, as well as PAL and SUPER FAMICOM, SNES ACCESSORIES, etc... perhaps even a SNES data base? The same can be said for Nintendo 64. I think Nintendoage, could stretch its wings to include these two Nintendo systems, or at least the SNES?! Thanks for listening...
   Dan...wolfsaq

-------------------------

Nintendo= 99% complete; missing STADIUM EVENTS to complete loose NTSC set
Unlicensed Nintendo= 57.7%
Virtual Boy= 100% complete
Turbo Grafx= 99% complete; missing MAGICAL CHASE to complete CIC NTSC set

"Until the lion has a historian of his own, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter"
(An African proverb)

Oct 10, 2007 at 11:29:12 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
We have discussed this before, and it may or may not happen. If we done the other systems we would have to get other admins to take over that area who really know there stuff cause me and Dain don't have a clue about the other systems like we do NES. If we done it though we would build the database for them offline and once the database is filled then we would release it publicly. It would be a ways off before we done this though...
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Oct 11, 2007 at 12:12:25 AM
pedro! (24)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Pedro Games) < Lolo Lord >
North Carolina
I second this suggestion. The site name is vague enough for it to cover anything Nintendo. I'm sure it would be a TON of work.

WWW.PEDROGAMES.COM

Oct 11, 2007 at 1:03:32 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
That is the problem. We already have enough trouble getting people to help do stuff now, little alone if we had 4-5 more systems....
~~NGD

Oct 11, 2007 at 1:58:18 AM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
If I may make a counter-suggestion, if you are eager enough to have something, create it. Many sites offer free forums, or you could serve your own with a cheap application. Feel free to cross-promote here in the appropriate thread. We always welcome new users and I'm certain those who care about your favorite system will at very least see what you have to offer.

It's putting the cart before the horse to expand before we've even solidified what NintendoAGE actually IS. This site is great because of the detail and dedication towards the NES. Trying to turn overnight into a strange amalgom of "NES...and some other systems, too!" would essentially do the same as you've observed, Wolf...the other systems, which deserve their due, would simply get drowned out.

Also it's worth noting -- if you do something half-assed, then try again later to do it again, it's 200% harder because people remember the first failure.

But seriously, in the long foreseeable future of NES-focused-chat which we'll call "the meantime" -- if you don't like the other existing sites that cover your favorite system, make one. Web's open.

Oct 11, 2007 at 8:45:35 AM
Battymo (100)
(Scrubb'n Nutz) < King Solomon >
Nova Scotia
As much as I would like to see all Nintendo systems represented here, it would be tough! If it were to happen, it should be in small increments... maybe step 1 would be to compile a complete list of all the games released and shove em into an empty database. As time goes on, and more experts for said system arrive, we could begin filling out rarities, and possibly getting some scans uploaded.

Baby steps. No need to rush into anything. It's got to be done right, otherwise NintendoAGE will lose it's good name on having the BEST information on the interwebs!

Oct 11, 2007 at 8:51:38 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
I think one thing that would happen sooner than later would to at least allow other systems' games to be added to personal collections. I understand that a collection tool could be viewed as semi-worthless without the ability to track other systems' games. There's really no harm in having a full database of games for X systems, but we would not be adding a public "interface" to that data like we do NES. For example, extended information, images, etc, for those systems would not be added anytime soon (or at all, in most cases).

Oct 11, 2007 at 9:19:48 AM
wolfsaq (146)
(The Big Bad Wolf) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Hello All,
    Please don't misunderstand what I was saying in my suggestion, and at that, it was a suggestion. This is the BEST site for NES on the Internet, a matter of fact it has eaten up most of my free time. I appreciate all of the work and effort it took Dain and others to make this site. If I knew anything about computers I would have just went ahead and created a SNES site, but I don't...that is why I suggested if it could happen for the SNES and or N-64. Since I now realize what a pain in the royal arse it would be, and the time it would take to do...it puts things in perspective and makes you really appreciate how GREAT this site is with all of the features it has. Thanks for everything, and I can't wait to develop relationships that will allow me to trade, buy, and or sell the NES and SNES items I am looking to collect. I am glad to be part of this community...
    Dan...wolfsaq

Nintendo= 99% complete; missing STADIUM EVENTS to complete loose NTSC set
Unlicensed Nintendo= 57.7%
Virtual Boy= 100% complete
Turbo Grafx= 99% complete; missing MAGICAL CHASE to complete CIC NTSC set

"Until the lion has a historian of his own, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter"
(An African proverb)

Oct 11, 2007 at 9:44:18 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
Thanks for the kind words, Dan -- much appreciated.

I want to state for the record that I'd build a SNES and/or N64 section if someone sends me a CIB set of either!

Oct 11, 2007 at 12:17:10 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
^^I bet you would you whore
~~NGD

Oct 11, 2007 at 3:11:59 PM
Shags (65)
(--- Ben ---) < El Ripper >
Alaska
I would definately like to see a complete database of cartridge based Nintendo games

Oct 12, 2007 at 2:05:30 PM
wrldstrman (107)
(doug prickett) < Master Higgins >
West Virginia
I dont think the different systems would need there own forums. but it would be nice if there was a data base for the other nintendo games. Tystar might know but at rf generation they have it set up where members can send scans directly to the game list. that way the members can do the work of scaning the games ,manuals and boxes. But if Dain wants to keep the site strictly nes Im cool with that to

as for posts getting buried look at dp a post made in the morning may end up 3 or more pages down by the night.

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

Edited: 10/12/2007 at 02:06 PM by wrldstrman

Oct 13, 2007 at 2:18:28 PM
Shaggy_NL (0)
(Peter van de Beek) < Cherub >
Netherlands
I think that you gotta setup the whole site a bit different. Something like: www.nintendoage.com for the front page, as it is now. And then some like:

nes.nintendoage.com (for the database, as we know it now)
gb.nintendoage.com (for the classic GameBoy games... I personal still like those more, then SNES games)
snes.nintendoage.com (as the Topic starter was talking about, a SNES database)

And maybe also a:
gw.nintendoage.com (for of course the awsome Game & Watch game's)

I know that this isn't ready for discussion, but when the time is there, it may be an idea to use it this way.

Oct 15, 2007 at 6:31:26 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
I've thought about using subdomains as well, and that may be a route to consider for sure. It would allow NES-only folks to stay on a NES-only site, and other collectors to branch out.

Oct 15, 2007 at 10:08:20 PM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
Although I'd have to imagine the databases would be interconnected, not only for the collection tool but the cross-references for "same-game-different-platform" are numerous and also sequels and so-forth. So subdomains for just the forums? Hm...dunno bout that.

Oct 24, 2007 at 10:37:01 AM
udisi (88)
< King Solomon >
United States
I can help with a SNES database. It's not all that complicated to get atleast main variation in there. little variations and such can come alone later. Hell, we still find new NES variations and such.

Oct 24, 2007 at 2:01:43 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
It would start by someone scanning EVERYTHING for the system them. cart (front, back, and top) box (front and back) manual (all pages cover to cover) If we had like 95% or more of the scans for the system then we would do it. We don't want to start half ass and if someone wants to but in the leg work then it can be done easily enough
~~NGD

Oct 27, 2007 at 3:15:52 AM
NickyP (0)
(Nicky P) < Meka Chicken >
Colorado
Just gather some people together and make a sister site called www.snesage.com...

could make a whole network of snesage n64age wiiage cubeage etc. It's "ownage" cept nes style

I myself think consoles died with the snes but nintendo is still cool and is still releasing kick ass old school based games

"If someone says you're ugly, tell them you're not an ugly human but a good looking ape with advanced speech skills."

Edited: 10/27/2007 at 03:20 AM by NickyP

Oct 27, 2007 at 3:33:12 AM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
Sweet, i've already got the logo contest for that website won and in the bag:

Oct 27, 2007 at 3:51:02 AM
NickyP (0)
(Nicky P) < Meka Chicken >
Colorado
LoL totaly. My poop looks like a snesage!

"If someone says you're ugly, tell them you're not an ugly human but a good looking ape with advanced speech skills."