Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Gamevaluenow's Collection Tracker is ready for Beta testing! GVN is alive!!!!!

Oct 10 at 1:33:21 PM
doner24 (326)
(Jesse D) < Bowser >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: rlh

The only thing "we" can do is build a better tool. Considering we want a new forum, if you guys build it so the TLD is "generic", then we could build a game collecting/playing community. We could have sub domains like, forum.thegamesite.com, wiki.thegamesite.com, priceguide.thegamesite.com collection.thegamesite.com (for managing collections) or anything else we want to add.

You could even integrate minor pay-for services to generate revenue to keep the lights on, and if all the data is housed in one source, there's a lot of room for growth. I really like GVN. Better than the alternatives, but if it's dying on the vine or being "consumed" into a bigger organization that's self-serving, then I'll hope for an alternative that's driven by a community.

I also want to say that I have nothing against Rick and Dain. These guys made excellent tools and sometimes you just need to get out when you've had enough or a good offer comes. That said, if our overlords were looking to just cannibalize these tools, well, that's their choice and right in a free-enterprise society. That said, I don't have to like it and if they let these services die, I'll remember that (as well as my business.)

Very well stated. Fair and noted 😉

-------------------------

WTB: Please help me find the following items
Hurricanes and Super Copa Boxes

Oct 10 at 3:30:49 PM
ExplodedHamster (183)
(Joe Dirt) < King Solomon >
United States
I mean as long as it's being integrated into something, who cares? But is it being integrated? If so, some info would be nice...

Maybe the new owner is waiting on some big sales from upcoming auctions or something to help fund it...

Edited: 10/10/2019 at 03:31 PM by ExplodedHamster

Oct 10 at 3:59:29 PM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
My only "issue" is that when a company that sells games owns pricing tools, they can fudge the numbers (nothing illegal about that) for their own gain. Supposedly, PriceCharting was caught doing that with strong circumstantial evidence (though I've not seen it, so I won't say they were messing with numbers, for certain.)

If you are also a seller, then that's "great news". But if you're a buyer, it feels unfair to reference a pricebook for FMV on items, when the owners have a good reason to skew prices in certain cases. Essentially, it's a conflict of interest.

I'm not trying to make the owners of this place look like "bad guys" and, frankly, I understand the strategic purchase and I don't even fault them for it. That said, their listed prices in GVN, or any new tool derived from the data, need to have community involvement and transparency to get around these quasi-ethical issues.

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Edited: 10/10/2019 at 04:01 PM by rlh

Oct 11 at 1:12:53 PM
goldenpp72 (77)
< Meka Chicken >
United States
The problem with all this is that any new community, tool, etc that is made will always have a price even if they say otherwise. It kind of makes you never want to support anything for free which kills the spirit of community driven fandom  

My list of games and hardware i'd like to find
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

My topic for selling and trading games
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&...