Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2013 Weekly Contest presents: 1942 Contest ends Sunday, 11/17/13 at 10 PM NA time

Nov 12, 2013 at 1:22:57 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Both liquor and beer to be honest

Blend all together, this makes me one rocket cocktail of performance!

-------------------------

Edited: 11/12/2013 at 01:23 AM by guillavoie

Nov 12, 2013 at 1:51:42 AM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
so..i decided to take a break (for the sake of my fingers and button mashing) from 1942

so i gave back to the future a try.
this was a game i had as a kid, and loathe as I could NEVER get past the fuckin school level

well...i will say...that on my first attempt...I FINALLY BEAT THIS FUCKIN GAME!!

as you can tell, i have a lot of pent up negative emotion toward it...i must say though...this HAS to be one of the worst, most unrewarding endings in a video game ever!!

ok...sorry for my rant in the contest thread...and now, back to the worlds greatest WWII pilot...

Nov 12, 2013 at 5:36:48 AM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
Originally posted by: babywuchki

^^Matty, nice work man. What a quick turnaround. Maybe there's hope for me yet. My problem is I get so far without dying and then I have a bad ten seconds and its game over. I've found that lowering the volume and jamming some Thelonious Monk and Miles Davis makes for a much better soundtrack and puts me in a much better headspace so as to not over think what I'm doing.

NES games, enhancers, and this? You should come game here:

tinychat.com/nintendofans
pw: toki

I'm not sure if I've played this yet, pretty sure its just been 1943 for me. I'll probably put in a trainwreck score.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Nov 12, 2013 at 10:11:58 AM
rdrunner (35)
(Tom Votava) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Does "runner's high" count?  I play really well just after a good session of jogging.

Originally posted by: guillavoie

Originally posted by: JSoup

Is the version in Capcom Arcade Cabinet (PSN) acceptable for this?

Edit: And I see that at least one other person is playing it via the PS2 version of that collection, so I guess I have my answer.

Unfortunately, the version in Capcom Arcade Cabinet is not accepted for this contest. There are differences in the calculation of the hit percentage, so we can only accept the NES version.

rdrunner will not use the PS2 version for this contest (if he participate).

Yup, sorry.  I will NOT be using the PS2 version if I play.  That is the arcade version, which is scored way differently (including a hefty 10-million-point bonus for beating the game!).

Sorry to cause confusion.  I was merely talking about why I don't own the NES version anymore.

Tom Votava
http://rdrunner0077.blogspot.com/

Nov 12, 2013 at 1:39:24 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Originally posted by: Krunch

^^Matty, nice work man. What a quick turnaround. Maybe there's hope for me yet. My problem is I get so far without dying and then I have a bad ten seconds and its game over. I've found that lowering the volume and jamming some Thelonious Monk and Miles Davis makes for a much better soundtrack and puts me in a much better headspace so as to not over think what I'm doing.

NES games, enhancers, and this? You should come game here:

tinychat.com/nintendofans

I'm not sure if I've played this yet, pretty sure its just been 1943 for me. I'll probably put in a trainwreck score.

Thelonious Monk and Miles Davis, that guy got excellent musical taste indeed!

Nov 12, 2013 at 3:45:02 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: mattyjmania

so..i decided to take a break (for the sake of my fingers and button mashing) from 1942

so i gave back to the future a try.
this was a game i had as a kid, and loathe as I could NEVER get past the fuckin school level

well...i will say...that on my first attempt...I FINALLY BEAT THIS FUCKIN GAME!!

as you can tell, i have a lot of pent up negative emotion toward it...i must say though...this HAS to be one of the worst, most unrewarding endings in a video game ever!!

ok...sorry for my rant in the contest thread...and now, back to the worlds greatest WWII pilot...

At least you don't have to play it anymore now that you beat it. Good job on the score! I'm sure you'll beat my score on the next attempt. I got zero 100% stages,so my score is going to be beaten for sure as it is kinda low for beating the game.

Nov 12, 2013 at 4:29:19 PM
Logo1285 (14)
(Christopher Loggia) < Kraid Killer >
Florida

Not the greatest but it feels great to be back in the contests!

Nov 12, 2013 at 4:29:34 PM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
The main problem with me on this game is it took a MAJOR toll on my thumbs and my left wrist.

I dunno what I'm doing wrong but I'm def not holding the controller very ergonomically

Nov 12, 2013 at 6:54:43 PM
babywuchki (90)
(Chris ) < Kraid Killer >
United States

NES games, enhancers, and this? You should come game here: tinychat.com/nintendofans

I will try to get in the chat, but my only option is to use my iPad 2 which is not really the best. Sounds like a good time though. We'll see what happens. 

Nov 12, 2013 at 7:53:51 PM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta

NES games, enhancers, and this? You should come game here: tinychat.com/nintendofans

I will try to get in the chat, but my only option is to use my iPad 2 which is not really the best. Sounds like a good time though. We'll see what happens. 

I don't think the iPad is too hard to use...if I'm not wrong that's what our very own guillavoie has been known to use in there from time to time (you know, on the rare occasions he drops by )

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Nov 12, 2013 at 7:57:50 PM
babywuchki (90)
United States

I don't think the iPad is too hard to use...if I'm not wrong that's what our very own guillavoie has been known to use in there from time to time (you know, on the rare occasions he drops by )

Yeah the tinychat app is easy to use, but its glitchy sometimes and pretty slow for me. Maybe it's beause I'm using an older model iPad. I updated the app today so I'll give it a shot.

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:10:38 PM
fatalfuryspecial (31)
(cool shooter spaceship) < El Ripper >
Texas
oh man this game is totally a buy for me. usual go to spot doesnt have it but ill be looking around this week and hopefully have a real copy to finish off the contest on.

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:13:28 PM
smick (27)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania

You look away from your plane for one second and BAM!  A little brown dot takes you out.  I really should be able to put up a better score, but my initial attempts remind me why I haven't played a scrolling shooter since sometime during the early 90's.

Playing through the Zelda games:

Complete: The Legend of Zelda (8/1/13); Zelda II (1/6/14); Zelda LTTP (5/18/14); Link's Awakening (4/8/15); Ocarina of Time (2/7/16)
Up Next: Majora's Mask

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:17:15 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec

You sir are wrong, I'm on Android

Yeah, I should log in more often. If I had more normal wake up and sleep hours, I would defintely log more often to broadcast. I feel it is a bit awkward to broadcast some plays at 3-4 AM in the morning . Still, for some of you westerners, this looks much less stupid, but the clock in front of me is constantly reminding me that I'm in the middle of most people's night.

Nov 13, 2013 at 12:56:54 AM
EgasKrad (17)
(AJ ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin
Updated: 200,250

That's a little bit more respectable, I guess. Congrats to Guts and Matt for rolling your scores somehow through the pain and punishment to your thumbs and ears. I don't think there is any way I can play this more than a couple times a day.

Edited: 11/13/2013 at 12:57 AM by EgasKrad

Nov 13, 2013 at 1:38:42 AM
babywuchki (90)
United States
I've been playing this for a while but my first score was the highest so far I have yet to get a good groove going.

Nov 13, 2013 at 1:41:54 AM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Definitely not easy to get the right groove for this game, you really need to dedicated all your attention on every details coming up, and doing it for a long period of time.

Nov 13, 2013 at 2:14:02 AM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
I tried to play again today and got about 700K

My thumb is seriously still sore from yesterday (Dpad)

I have a nintendo related injury!!!

If this were football, I would be currently listed as "probable" for another attempt

Nov 13, 2013 at 4:26:56 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

I tried to play again today and got about 700K

My thumb is seriously still sore from yesterday (Dpad)

I have a nintendo related injury!!!

If this were football, I would be currently listed as "probable" for another attempt

Ice that sucker! Or wear a band aid! And as far as the groove thing....my recommendation is play this game when you have nothing to do for a few hours. I played my best games late at night when I didn't have jack squat to do. If you are distracted,you may as well stop playing as it will be tough to get in the zone and the deaths will come quickly and in bunches. So again definitely play this when you have absolutely nothing to do for about an hour an a half.

Edited: 11/13/2013 at 04:28 AM by gutsman004

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:46:23 AM
smick (27)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: guillavoie

Definitely not easy to get the right groove for this game, you really need to dedicated all your attention on every details coming up, and doing it for a long period of time.

So, I shouldn't play with kids running and screaming next to me?  I found that to be quite effective during Arch Rivals, but that was a more high energy aggressive type of game!

Playing through the Zelda games:

Complete: The Legend of Zelda (8/1/13); Zelda II (1/6/14); Zelda LTTP (5/18/14); Link's Awakening (4/8/15); Ocarina of Time (2/7/16)
Up Next: Majora's Mask

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:16:45 PM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania

did it again!
Rolled score in same place as last time too!

this time...higher

I couldnt beat the game, but did get to level 2 (2nd to last level)

pre-roll

Plus the good ole perfect

= 1,028,450

Here is what i finished with....

and a close up

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:18:42 PM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
also

gutsmans score is wrong, he scored higher than he is giving himself credit for

he actually scored 1,230,350

you cannot add up the "top" and the "current" as that is not accurate, as my score proves that case...so...give that man a few more points

Nov 13, 2013 at 6:07:00 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

also

you cannot add up the "top" and the "current" as that is not accurate, as my score proves that case...so...give that man a few more points

Lol,I've never been very good at math. Either way,you beat my score so great job man! I knew my score would get beat because it's definitely low for beating the game.

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:14:47 PM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: gutsman004

also

Lol,I've never been very good at math. Either way,you beat my score so great job man! I knew my score would get beat because it's definitely low for beating the game.

yeah

i dont really want to play this anymore bc it seriously is physically taking a toll on me...i know i sound like a pussy, but i dont think ive ever had a NES game physically harm me as much as this one...its weird

anyway, i said i dont want to play it anymore...but...I AM SO CLOSE to beating it!! got to 2nd to last level, and the NES nerd in me wont let me settle for this

I am gonna try and give it 1 more go, but I dont think I have much more in me after this

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:57:28 PM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
I am now streaming live
http://tinychat.com/nintendofans...
PW: Toki

feel free to check me out