Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

An Official "Unofficial" Copy of the Sword of Hope Manual I'm asking for a price, but I'm mostly just showing off this oddity.

Oct 17 at 7:50:22 PM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
In my near completion of my GB set, last week I finally picked up a copy of Sword of Hope.  The seller also had a photo copied manual but what makes this one different is that this one has a Nintendo letter explaining that the original developer doesn't support the game, but with their (Kemco's) permission, Nintendo was aloud to photocopy the manual and send it to the requestor.

I snatched it up because the cart was in great shape, was an ok price and contained this oddity.

Anyway, anything old and from Nintendo is often worth a few bucks.  Curious if anyone has seen other "manuals" like this and if they are worth anything.  I'm sure they are rare but I honestly don't know if that equates into any desirability.  Photos below, for the curious.

-------------------------
Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Oct 17 at 8:25:25 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Neat, an official photocopy. Looks like they made the intern slap the manual onto the photocopier and turn the pages. I wonder if they kept a file with these in them, depending on how many people requested these manuals.

I'm into manuals, but the target for something like this would be somebody who collects unique oddball stuff. I'm guessing it won't fetch anything crazy, but probably a few bucks more than a plain ol' manual would.

Oct 17 at 8:48:34 PM
rlh (67)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: Splain

Neat, an official photocopy. Looks like they made the intern slap the manual onto the photocopier and turn the pages. I wonder if they kept a file with these in them, depending on how many people requested these manuals.

I'm into manuals, but the target for something like this would be somebody who collects unique oddball stuff. I'm guessing it won't fetch anything crazy, but probably a few bucks more than a plain ol' manual would.

You and I are in the same boat, looking for manuals, though I'll admit I'm not looking to complete the set (well, I'm not there yet) and I look for good deals or fair priced lots.  Anyway, as neat as it is I'd probably let it go to the right collector, but other wise it's going on top of my pile-of-paper which is getting ever larger.  Still, you actually feel this might be worth a few bucks more than the actual manual?  Maybe?  That's why I ask and I'm curious what others feel about this.

I really need to get my own office where I can choose my own furniture.  Everything I have is 75% shoved in a box or a drawer somewhere.  Unrelated, but I keep filing away stuff like this for when that day comes.

Oct 17 at 9:37:23 PM
CD2193 (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Texas
I have one of these for some wrestling game. Can't remember how I got it, but I might have been the one to get it from Nintendo myself back in the day after requesting a manual for the game.

Oct 18 at 9:42:26 AM
acidjaguar (668)
(Lloyd Christmas) < Bowser >
Montana
Nintendo used to offer photocopied manuals to people when they were out of stock. I have a few of these stashed away, mostly NES titles though. Some came in color, some in B&W.

I used to offer around $10 shipped on these. They are a neat item, but people don't throw a lot of value at them from what I've seen as I've gotten them over the years. I'll try to come back to this thread later and post a few more for reference.

For sale thread located here: click
Wanted to buy: click

Top wants currently: 
Old NES / SNES era newsletters and mailings
Original GB Chinese games (CHN coding on label)

Oct 18 at 10:41:06 AM
rlh (67)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: acidjaguar

Nintendo used to offer photocopied manuals to people when they were out of stock. I have a few of these stashed away, mostly NES titles though. Some came in color, some in B&W.

I used to offer around $10 shipped on these. They are a neat item, but people don't throw a lot of value at them from what I've seen as I've gotten them over the years. I'll try to come back to this thread later and post a few more for reference.

Does this mean they would sometimes ship games without manuals? Certainly not.  I assume this means that you could write in/call and ask for a manual and they'd send you one?  That's pretty cool and generous!

Also, Splain, you wonder where certain manual variants might be when you find gaps in rev numbers. Maybe some of them where only in the NOA office and sent to customer's needing extra copies.

Oct 18 at 10:48:10 AM
acidjaguar (668)
(Lloyd Christmas) < Bowser >
Montana
Originally posted by: rlh

Originally posted by: acidjaguar

Does this mean they would sometimes ship games without manuals? Certainly not.  I assume this means that you could write in/call and ask for a manual and they'd send you one?  That's pretty cool and generous!

Also, Splain, you wonder where certain manual variants might be when you find gaps in rev numbers. Maybe some of them where only in the NOA office and sent to customer's needing extra copies.

I'd have to see if there was any documentation on shipping games separately, but from what I recall it was only the manuals.  I have an old order form / receipt from one of these that I'll get a pic of so you can see.  

For sale thread located here: click
Wanted to buy: click

Top wants currently: 
Old NES / SNES era newsletters and mailings
Original GB Chinese games (CHN coding on label)