Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Greetings NA! New member and repro maker here! Double-Barreled Games Reproductions

May 2, 2012 at 12:12:41 AM
Holy Sorcerer (30)
(Dan Gillette) < Crack Trooper >
Wisconsin
Hello ladies and gentlemen of Nintendo Age, 

My name is Dan Gillette and I have just joined this fine community.  I am a lifelong gamer and love the classic games of the arcade and home console.  I own most everything post NES and would like to focus my collecting on the NES and SNES for now.  I think my first goal will be a complete set of the black box nes games cib.  This seems like a realistic first step into the world of classic video game collecting.

In order to help meet my financial needs (being unemployed and all) and to satisfy my love of tinkering and playing with molten tin and lead I have decided to start producing reproductions for fun and (hopefully) profit under the name Double-Barreled Games Reproductions, or DBG Repros.  I have already produced working carts of Moai-kun, SMB2j, Sweet Home, and Earth Bound Restored as proof of concept, and am hungry for more.  I am currently working with another NA member to get artwork made up for these carts and then I hope to open "shop" in the for sale thread.  I'm looking to make reproductions of games that were never given a commercial release here in the USA, though I am more than happy to do commisions for homebrew, hacks, etc.  If this goes well I have every intention of moving "up" to SNES repros including the ever popular Star Fox 2. 

I know that there is a minority of people who dislike the ideas of reproductions.  Some dislike it because it involves the destruction of genuine games in order to procure the donor carts needed in their production.  Let me assure you that every reproduction I make will include the original game roms which have been delicately removed from the game board.  All of my reproductions are reversable, no taking dremals to the rom chips, no original hardware will be destroyed by my hands.  If you really want to revert your board back to a LJN sports title, you can (heathen ).  Other groups are concerned with reproductions being passed off as genuine cartridges.  All of my repros will be labeled as such inside and outside so there can be no confusion among collectors as to what they are holding in their hands.  I hope this commitment to integrity is appreciated here amongst the hardest of hardcore collectors.

So far the few members that I have dealt with have been very kind and welcoming.  I hope that the rest of the community is open to a new repro maker as well.  As I am new to this scene I would appreciate any kind of community feedback possible so that I can tailor my services to best meet everyones needs.  If there are any specific games that you are looking for let me know so that I can get the supplies needed to create them.  I would love to hear all of your suggestions and feedback, so please feel free to message me.  Once I'm open for business I will have contact emails listed, but until then PMs are fine.

Sorry for the long "sales pitch" but I really hope that this endevor works out and I need to get my name out there to compete with the other repro makers. 

Thanks for taking the time to read this and welcome me to your community.

Now lets talk about some awesome Nintendo games!

-------------------------

May 2, 2012 at 12:46:42 AM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
Originally posted by: Holy Sorcerer

I am currently working with another NA member to get artwork made up for these carts and then I hope to open "shop" in the for sale thread. 
I'm the said NA member that's gonna be helping in the label art. I hope you all will enjoy the art as much as you did in the custom repro label thread I post in-- I'll try my best to make these repros look real cool.

Also, again I would like to welcome you to the community here, Dan. If you have any questions or need help with anything, let me know and I'll try my best to help out. Good luck on  your repro sales, and have fun!!!

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

May 2, 2012 at 12:48:18 AM
Otter (73)
(T Otter) < King Solomon >
Washington
what up dog...

May 2, 2012 at 12:57:35 AM
ADMINISTRATOR
K.Thrower (120)
(Kenny Boy) < Master Higgins >
Colorado
Welcome to NA Dan!

Ready for adventure!
www.watagames.com...

May 2, 2012 at 1:12:23 AM
JC-Dragon (0)
(JC Childs) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
welcome to NA. nice to see that you're on the Repro scene. over at RetroUSB you can get some translucent carts and Circuit boards so that you wont need to tear apart as many original carts. check it out http://www.retrousb.com/index.php...

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus
- Mark Twain

May 2, 2012 at 1:16:51 AM
Holy Sorcerer (30)
Wisconsin
As much as I'd love to use brand new parts, that would inflate my costs a whole lot. I'm unemployed at the moment, so I've got lots of time to fool around cleaning and desoldering old carts.

Though if a client really wanted those new parts from retrozone, but wanted me to do the reproduction, I'd have no problem with doing a custom order job for them, I just can't justify those prices for my regular work and still hope to compete with anyone else on price.

May 2, 2012 at 1:21:22 AM
JC-Dragon (0)
(JC Childs) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
that's understandable. just thought i would let you know of some resources.

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus
- Mark Twain

May 2, 2012 at 1:21:54 AM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
Welcome playa

Playas Guide Logo

May 2, 2012 at 1:31:58 AM
Nightowljrm (42)
(Joseph Morgan) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
Welcome aboard!

May 2, 2012 at 3:27:43 AM
RetroNESNerd (77)
(Justin S) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska
Welcome to Nintendo-Age Dan. Looking forward to seeing your work as I am in the market for a Sweet Home repro.

May 2, 2012 at 3:29:54 AM
Holy Sorcerer (30)
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: RetroNESNerd

Welcome to Nintendo-Age Dan. Looking forward to seeing your work as I am in the market for a Sweet Home repro.
Glad to hear it!  I was just playing my Sweet Home repro tonight during the thunderstorm.  It's a pretty cool game.

May 2, 2012 at 3:48:16 AM
Holy Sorcerer (30)
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: RetroNESNerd

Well I just placed an order for 31 donor carts for Sweet Home and its kin.  Now as long as their website inventory was accurate I should have plenty to work with.  (Someone there must think I really love Golf)

May 2, 2012 at 8:48:00 AM
fsped09 (234)
(( nes-city.com )) < King Solomon >
New York
Welcome to NA Dan! If you need any boxes, manuals, or labels for your repro's shoot me a PM or check out my site! If and when you get your site up and running, contact Gwyndion here on NA, he'll add your site the repro makers thread.

May 2, 2012 at 9:00:34 AM
P13R4T (154)
(J. Kyle Smith) < El Ripper >
Indiana
Haha, who wouldn't own 31 copies of Golf? Welcome aboard Dan!

Yar! Watch me pickup videos & see me Booty!
Last video: NintendoAge Campout 2012

May 2, 2012 at 11:18:14 AM
Holy Sorcerer (30)
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: fsped09

Welcome to NA Dan! If you need any boxes, manuals, or labels for your repro's shoot me a PM or check out my site! If and when you get your site up and running, contact Gwyndion here on NA, he'll add your site the repro makers thread.

Your work looks fantastic.  You have me seriously considering getting boxes and manuals made.

May 2, 2012 at 12:32:09 PM
Old Skool Brian (17)
(Brian Drecksage) < Meka Chicken >
New Jersey
Welcome to NA!

Come check out my collection on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/oldskoolbrian
I do Pickups, Packages, Unboxings, Gameplays, reviews, and more!

Check out my Ebay Store http://stores.ebay.com/Sprites-N-Bytes

May 2, 2012 at 12:41:19 PM
SamSpade (61)
(Joey Pimkowski) < Bowser >
California
Welcome to the site Dan. We really do need more snes repro makers out there if you decide to get into them. There's tons of great shit that never cam stateside during the 16 bit good old days.

May 2, 2012 at 12:52:10 PM
fsped09 (234)
New York
Originally posted by: Holy Sorcerer

Originally posted by: fsped09

Your work looks fantastic.  You have me seriously considering getting boxes and manuals made.
Thanks Dan, I appreciate the kind words, if you need anything at all, just shoot me a PM. 

May 2, 2012 at 6:46:50 PM
Holy Sorcerer (30)
Wisconsin
Well I took the labels down to the print shop to get a sample made up and they turned out pretty bad. The labels are not durable enough and starting chipping right away. Looks like I'm going to have to get them printed myself.

Edited: 05/02/2012 at 06:47 PM by Holy Sorcerer

May 4, 2012 at 7:47:28 PM
Holy Sorcerer (30)
Wisconsin
Got myself some labels printed myself and I think they look pretty good. I should have my first batch of repros ready to go very soon. For those interested it looks like my first available games will be Sweet Home (which is great btw) and SMB 2j: The Lost Levels. I'll post pics and a for sale thread once they're ready to ship.

Wish me luck!

May 5, 2012 at 10:19:42 AM
zeldaboy (162)
(Andrew DeRouin) < King Solomon >
Florida
Welcome to NA!

May 5, 2012 at 1:13:14 PM
fsped09 (234)
New York
Good luck! Looking forward to seeing everything!

May 6, 2012 at 1:05:42 AM
jimpoleshuk (279)
(Jim Poleshuk) < King Solomon >
Nebraska
I know so little about the repro scene but I'd be interested in any good shump repros for NES SNES.

Cart only, budget repros sound cool to me, I'll watch for your offerings

www.videogameboxprotectors.com

May 6, 2012 at 1:29:42 AM
Mr.Nintendo (383)
(el- rocko) < King Solomon >
Alaska
new repros, with nes city boxes, i can't wait

welcome to NA

Gameboy Pirates "IS" My Thing

DONATE ALL SMB/DH CARTS TO PMA

DONATE ALL JURASSIC PARK CARTS TO KEVBOT  NOW ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

May 7, 2012 at 7:23:55 PM
Natendo (87)
(The artist formerly known as Nechestriah) < Ridley Wrangler >
Georgia
Welcome to NA!

youtube.com/user/natebit

WTB: 
Rescue Rangers 2 Manual  •  Fire N Ice Manual  •  Rad Racer 3D Glasses
Also, I'm always hunting for Complete Nintendo Powers and  loose Box/Manuals for NES - PM me if you have any extras!