Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

A guide on how to spot fake SNES games >> an ongoing threat to help deter the purchase of fake SNES games <<

Apr 13, 2013 at 6:34:50 PM
777gameguy777 (0)

< Cherub >
I signed up to the forum because of this thread! Thank you so much to the OP! 

I wanted to get some feedback on my Megaman X3 board since it looks different than the photos.  I've read that Capcom developed a new graphic chip for it and X2, so there maybe some confusion when one is trying verify its legitamacy.  Now granted this was bought over ten years ago off ebay so theres nothing I can do if it was an early fake. Having trouble with the new forum format so I have the photos as attachements

Thank You 

Apr 13, 2013 at 6:56:13 PM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
Legit that CX4 chip is the one you're thinking of and it's that square one in the picture. I used to own both of that.

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:28:59 AM
Nightmare (0)

< Little Mac >
Western Australia
Another fake...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EarthBoun...

Report him! His username is gsc2626 on eBay.

Also 777gameguy777 yup that's legit!

Edited: 04/29/2013 at 12:33 AM by Nightmare

Apr 29, 2013 at 1:57:29 PM
Nightmare (0)

< Little Mac >
Western Australia
Wow, that fake Earthbound sold...

Another one...

'palm to face'

Edited: 04/29/2013 at 01:58 PM by Nightmare

Apr 29, 2013 at 2:23:47 PM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
That one you linked are you positive it's a fake? He also has a Mega Man X1 up right now which looks exactly the same as far as the crappy grainy imagery goes and bad lighting. I just looked at another and it matches fine.

Apr 30, 2013 at 3:52:10 PM
Enternal (19)
(Edge Geraldine) < El Ripper >
Florida
I guess one thing that we may have not considered in the earthbound price drop debate is the people that had fakes to get rid of before a potential price drop.

Apr 30, 2013 at 3:56:28 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: Gorillazero

I understand your approach to this guide. But on the other hand I find it sad that we have to entertain people who can't tell the difference. It's not Pre-Calc or Chemistry, people lol. To those who buy, request a refund. You will win, I promise you!!

Good Luck ALL

Better to have 1 thread than 60 pop up. Not everyone is technical enough to know the difference between a mask rom, eprom, a tsop board and chip. Most people see them as "that black thingy".

-------------------------
Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Apr 30, 2013 at 3:57:18 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
Originally posted by: 777gameguy777

I wanted to get some feedback on my Megaman X3 board since it looks different than the photos.  I've read that Capcom developed a new graphic chip for it and X2, so there maybe some confusion when one is trying verify its legitamacy.  Now granted this was bought over ten years ago off ebay so theres nothing I can do if it was an early fake. Having trouble with the new forum format so I have the photos as attachements

Thank You 

Your game is perfectly fine, I doubt there are any fakes of Mega Man x2 and x3 because of that special chip.  I suppose they could make a fake x3 out of x2 but that would be pretty damn silly and not cost effective whatsoever.

Edited: 04/30/2013 at 04:01 PM by pegboy

Apr 30, 2013 at 3:59:49 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: 777gameguy777

Thank You 

Ha, you're welcome Glad you found it useful. X2 and X3 wouldn't have been pirated 10 years ago, and you'll likely not run into a copy even today due to their CX4 chips.

Apr 30, 2013 at 6:10:44 PM
byuu (21)

(byuu san) < Crack Trooper >
Ohio
Your guide is spot-on for US games. I'll add what I can.

The following games are in fact EEPROM games, on SHVC-*P** boards:
* Kunio-Kun no Dodgeball da yo! Zen'in Shuugou - Tournament Special
* From TV Animation - Slam Dunk! Shueisha Limited
Both of these will have phillips screws, and the EEPROMs will *not* be socketed.

Any other prototype game will be EEPROM (look for a serial stamp of SHVC-*P**-**, make sure there are no wires or obvious resoldering spots.)

Every other limited edition game (500 or less copies) are always MaskROM.

The following games have golden clamshells:
* Kunio-Kun no Dodgeball da yo! Zen'in Shuugou - Tournament Special
* Super Tetris 2 + Bombliss (there is a gray normal one too)
* Super Bomberman 2 - Caravan
* Super Bomberman 5 - Corocoro Comic
All four of these have only the *outer* shell spray painted gold. If you open the cart up, the insides will be gray, and it's usually a pretty bad job of painting so the gold to gray lines are uneven. This is just how these are, and it's perfectly legit. I've had six different gold carts from six sellers, all the same way. Others have confirmed the same thing. They were cheap in making these, because they were all limited 200 or less run games.
Kunio, Bomberman 2 and Bomberman 5 have custom ROM data and custom label art, so these are hard to fake.
Tetris 2 is much easier to fake, it's identical to the retail game. Be very careful buying this one.
Best I can tell you is to get the other gold carts to compare, and make sure the gold is inside the screw holes too. Sometimes shoddy fakes won't get the paint in the screw holes and you'll see gray there. (Like that Yam-Yam fake. Speaking of that, any Yam-Yam gold cart you ever see is fake. Only one exists, inside Mandarake-Japan, and they won't sell it to anyone.)

The Japanese modem-based games (JRA PAT, JRA PAT Wide) have FlashROM memory chips inside of them, but are not fake. Their cartridge shells are black.

Nintendo Power games come in white clamshells, and use FlashROM chips.

SA-1, SuperFX and Cx4 games sometimes have very tiny MaskROMs (see the pic above), the reduced pinout gives them more board space for other stuff.

Mega Man X2 is SHVC-2DC0N (two MaskROM chips), and Mega Man X3 is SHVC-1DC0N (one MaskROM chip.)

Any ROM chip that is entirely blank (surface writing removed) is from a fake board.
However, not all boards will have serial numbers and model numbers on the ROM chips.
Majesco is particularly bad here, you will see "FAMILY FEUD" only, stamped onto the ROM on their version of said game.

Most PCBs are dark green. Some from EA/Majesco/Maxi will be blue or really light green. But you'll see EA-, MJSC-, MAXI-, SHVC-, SNS-, SNSP- stamped on the board somewhere in gold letters.

Much more insidious are fake boxes and manuals. Since those triple the cost of loose games, you'll see a lot more fakes here. Usually copies are duller, in "too good to be true" mint condition, blurrier, poorly aligned, etc. But some are amazingly good copies. Your best bet here is to scan at 600DPI and verify that it has the screening effect typical of industrial printers. Someone making small runs of boxes is unlikely to be using the same printing process as Nintendo did in the '90s.

Edited: 04/30/2013 at 06:15 PM by byuu

Apr 30, 2013 at 7:13:51 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: byuu

Your guide is spot-on for US games. I'll add what I can.

Thanks Just added your info to the first post since that will help a lot with some of the more expensive titles, and you also added some other info that I didn't have.

May 2, 2015 at 1:04:47 PM
zredgemz (1)
< Kraid Killer >
United States
A bump for new collectors to see this.

May 4, 2015 at 1:35:05 AM
munoz512 (0)
< Cherub >
Texas
New to the forum and just read through this thread. Great info! I always open any game I buy for cleaning purposes and to check if they are legit copies. This is great info for new collectors who really don't know what to look for.

May 4, 2015 at 6:23:19 PM
Linkfan12 (0)
< Cherub >
New Jersey
awesome post! are there more fakes on SNES or NES?

May 5, 2015 at 7:55:45 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: Linkfan12

awesome post! are there more fakes on SNES or NES?

Depends on how much the legit copy costs. You'll find fakes on nes, snes, and genesis (though not nearly as much as the other 2). People tend to fake games that are hot sellers right now.

May 5, 2015 at 1:23:47 PM
Linkfan12 (0)
< Cherub >
New Jersey
Thnx man, good to know. This thread was very helpful!

May 6, 2015 at 8:15:56 PM
wiggyx (5)
< Eggplant Wizard >
United States
This looks like sticky material to me.

www.rosecoloredgaming.com     Instagram   Facebook     

May 12, 2015 at 1:39:58 PM
Orlandu81 (26)
(David ) < Eggplant Wizard >
California
Hi everyone - I'm new to the forum but have been collecting for a while and have 150+ SNES games in good condition. However, given the increase in fakes, I'm concerned with my Chronotrigger for SNES. I usually look online for other people's pictures of their boards and none have the same Mask Rom mine has. I know there were multiple manufacturers of the chips, but what concerns me is that I haven't seen one that wasn't manufactured by MagnaChjp Semiconductor ("MX"). Everything looks perfect except the markings on the mask rom. Any thoughts?

photo Chrono_zps5gquoq2a.jpg

May 12, 2015 at 1:41:57 PM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
looks fine.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

May 12, 2015 at 1:50:58 PM
Orlandu81 (26)
(David ) < Eggplant Wizard >
California
Thanks.  I've seen a fake super mario world that even has the printing on the mask rom done correctly, only the mask rom chip is slightly smaller.  I also saw a repro hagane label NTSC cart with a super famicom hagane in it sell for $575 last week.  My company is a PCB manufacturer in China, and it is a lot easier to make quality repros today than it was 6 months ago.

Feb 20, 2016 at 12:53:51 AM
zredgemz (1)
< Kraid Killer >
United States
Rise From Your Grave.

Feb 20, 2016 at 10:04:06 PM
AlexElectric (4)
< El Ripper >
Alberta
Thanks for this thread and the other one mentioned! I got into SNES collecting about 1.5 years ago though only recently picked up some of the more expensive titles (Earthbound, Wild Guns, Chrono Trigger, R-Type 3, King of Dragons). I got everything over $50 from a local retro store; the owner tells me they open and clean/play test every cart before it's priced and sold. I just purchased the security bit from LukieGames and plan to open all the carts as soon as they arrive. I downloaded the PCB pictures for each cart I have from SNESCentral and tried to find pictures on here of the other ones not yet listed. I'm confident the carts I have are all legit but it will fun to open it all up and be certain.

Feb 20, 2016 at 10:51:18 PM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York
Why would someone fake a Super Mario World?

Mutant Virus strat thread.  Help each other finally put the nail in the coffin for this game, EVERY time.
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Sep 23, 2016 at 12:44:28 PM
retroreus (0)

(juan manuel de la cruz) < Cherub >
United States
Hello friends,

I need help.

I buy this game in Japan,

Tittle Kuniokun No Dodgeball Da Yo Zeninshuugou! Tournament Special SAMPLE PROTOTYPE.

I think is a fake, please help me,

Pictures:

http://es.zimagez.com/miniature/2...