NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Battle Kid 2 - tentative release information & trailer Due out Friday, 12/14

Aug 3, 2010 at 2:34:56 PM
BulletHell (0)
(R4ph Stryker) < Tourian Tourist >
Quebec
Look awesome already! to bad i wont be able to play it as much as the 1st

Do you have a estimated release date or its to early in dev.?

PSont make normal easier really....

-------------------------
Proud French Canadian! http://www.youtube.com/user/MrBul...
My last game purchased was back in 1997 with the sony playstation...everything goes downhill since this era of gaming...then Battle Kid: Fortress of Peril arrive with a N.E.S. PowerPak...now im living with POWER  for the rest of my life! lets not forget those sexy  new shmups shall we!?

Aug 3, 2010 at 4:54:02 PM
Sivak (44)
(Sivak -) < Kraid Killer >
Ohio
Well, nothing new to report yet... Just being lazy. Maybe after some pasta, I'll feel compelled to do work. I had the enemies appearing, but due to some stack corruption I couldn't figure out, I had to overwrite it with an older build. Thankfully not much else had changed.

Hoping to do a demo video, but would like enemies to appear unless folks just wanna see the game's mechanics only. I doubt any complex enemies would appear in a first video anyway.

My website: Here

Battle Kid 2 demo videos: Playlist
Battle Kid demo videos: Playlist

Check out my current: Want list
Check out my current: Extras list

Aug 3, 2010 at 11:10:15 PM
BulletHell (0)
Quebec
Originally posted by: Sivak

Well, nothing new to report yet... Just being lazy. Maybe after some pasta, I'll feel compelled to do work. I had the enemies appearing, but due to some stack corruption I couldn't figure out, I had to overwrite it with an older build. Thankfully not much else had changed.

Hoping to do a demo video, but would like enemies to appear unless folks just wanna see the game's mechanics only. I doubt any complex enemies would appear in a first video anyway.

Eat those pasta pal! I still wish i can beta test your bk2 final boss!

Side-note about BK1,even after bieng able to beat it @Very hard,after bieng 3 months away from the game i feel like a fucking noob dying once,twice or even multiple of time per check point...this is a awesome memory game and it really test your IQ and skill like no other game on the market really!

Just keep up the good work Sivak! ill bought 2 bk2 no matter what happend and keep one virgin like the 1st one (i fuck her once....dont tell anyone! she doesnt want to spoil her virginity ....)

ok frenchy with 8.6% alcohol out and back to X-Com UFO defence!

My last game purchased was back in 1997 with the sony playstation...everything goes downhill since this era of gaming...then Battle Kid: Fortress of Peril arrive with a N.E.S. PowerPak...now im living with POWER  for the rest of my life! lets not forget those sexy  new shmups shall we!?

Aug 4, 2010 at 12:55:49 PM
Sivak (44)
Ohio
Does anyone have any thoughts on an in-game map? I made a post addressing concerns here: http://nesdev.parodius.com/bbs/vi...

Aug 4, 2010 at 1:08:25 PM
Dendy (25)
(Anton Dokuchaev) < Meka Chicken >
Netherlands

Does anyone have any thoughts on an in-game map? I made a post addressing concerns here: http://nesdev.parodius.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=6742

In game map would be very helpfull! Now I'm using the map from BK Fan site. BK1 does really miss it... 

CNG - Dutch collectors and gaming forum - Classic Nintendo Gaming Forum (NES/Famicom/SNES/N64/GameBoy & GW)
www.nintendoforum.nl...

Aug 4, 2010 at 2:32:42 PM
Nephasth (1)
(Quote Butcher) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wyoming
I would prefer a map included with the manual as in LoZ.

Scream all you want to, I am the reaper. Both guilt and corpses, I bury them deeper.

Aug 4, 2010 at 2:36:56 PM
NESHomebrew (21)
(Brad Bateman - Strange Brew Games) < King Solomon >
Saskatchewan
I disagree in the map department. For the amount of times I repeated areas over and over, it was pretty simple to remember exactly where you were, and where to go next. I'd rather see more rooms/features than waste precious space on a map. Besides, I'm sure all the die-hards make their own maps. And like Dendy said, bkfan has better maps anyway.
Originally posted by: Nephasth

I would prefer a map included with the manual as in LoZ.
But then you would need to make it a CIB game, which is more expensive and less desirable for most people.

Edited: 08/04/2010 at 02:38 PM by NESHomebrew

Aug 4, 2010 at 2:53:31 PM
wjc132 (80)
(Will Chadwick) < Crack Trooper >
Maryland
Originally posted by: WhatULive4
But then you would need to make it a CIB game, which is more expensive and less desirable for most people.

The B would not be required for a map but a paper map could cause more logistics problems like the manual did for BF:FoP, holding up sales.  I do agree though that it would add a little to the cost.

Edited: 08/04/2010 at 03:08 PM by wjc132

Aug 4, 2010 at 3:29:31 PM
CMR (4)
< El Ripper >
United States
If you do make an in-game map, let it be one that just show where you've previously been.

Aug 4, 2010 at 4:43:04 PM
NESHomebrew (21)
Saskatchewan
Originally posted by: CMR

If you do make an in-game map, let it be one that just show where you've previously been.
"If you make an in-game map" I always liked the idea of finding a piece of an old map (Like in Pirates!) You could make a cool map picture in the status bar showing the pieces. It would be cool if the map peices were kind of hidden, or difficult to get.

Aug 4, 2010 at 5:04:20 PM
Levirules (12)
(Levi Morgan) < Meka Chicken >
New York
I gotta disagree with WhatULive4. I played through Burger King about 3 times, and I still couldn't remember exactly where to go. There are times where I think I do, then I go the wrong way. Personally, I like it when the map uncovers where you've been, doesn't show anything you haven't seen yet, unless you find a map item, in which case that section is uncovered (but not the secret areas of course!). Think Super Metroid. Though, for a map for a game of this scale, simply hitting select to view the rooms you've already been to is plenty.

What I *don't* like about newer Metroidvania type games is that they give too much away in the map. Anybody play Shadow Complex? The map not only told you where to go, it told you how to get there! And it gave away the location of every item in the game (except one I think). That's too much map!

::: Now playing: Demon's Souls, Portal 2 :::

Aug 4, 2010 at 5:25:15 PM
OSG (28)
(PEEP and PAMP) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
Well, it could be done Zelda 1 style. Like what happens when you bring up the subscreen while in the dungeons. It's just all blank and it fills out as you visit rooms. Room exits are just depicted as little lines. But as it is in the first game, the rooms and areas are distinct enough that it didn't really matter.

How many extra password characters are we talking about here? Like, even just an upper/lower case 2 digit password is what 2700 possible passwords? That should be large enough to check which rooms are visited and which ones aren't? Maybe maybe not I'm not sure how you'd optimise that now that I think about it a bit more.

Edited: 08/04/2010 at 05:29 PM by OSG

Aug 4, 2010 at 5:53:38 PM
Sivak (44)
Ohio
Originally posted by: OSG

How many extra password characters are we talking about here?

BK1 had approx. 450 rooms in the main area.  Even if I did this with a bit-by-bit, that'd be 56 bits, so passwords would probably be that many characters longer.

Aug 4, 2010 at 6:38:31 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
For an in-game map, I also like the idea of finding map pieces.

Then you just show the player position on the current map piece, or whatever.

It's not "necessary", but it kind of helps when you're wondering how far to your next respite.

Aug 4, 2010 at 8:23:21 PM
Benihana (154)
(Don't Stop Believin!) < Master Higgins >
Washington
Man, you guys are going to make this super complicated for him to program. I am sure he is up to the challenge though..

My Biggest Fear is...She Sells my Games for the Amount I told her I paid for them.

Vintage.Nintendoage.com for LIFE!

Aug 5, 2010 at 10:43:02 AM
BulletHell (0)
Quebec
Since bk1 is a huge memory game it doesnt matter having a map or not for me! since Timmy is a poor guy dying with one hit maybe he can access to computer like the 1st one giving hints and you can have several option like a map,but a map like metroid or castlevania is not original and doesnt require human brain and wont help you beating the game anyways since we will die some many time our subconsient will do the job!

my 2 cents

Aug 5, 2010 at 11:58:12 AM
Levirules (12)
(Levi Morgan) < Meka Chicken >
New York
^ good point. Not really necessary when the game relies on memorization anyway. If I didn't memorize it all in 3 playthroughs, I'm gonna have to make my own map or play it more anyway. Then again, I've played Super Metroid a bazillion times and still get certain areas or connectors (how to get from here to there) mixed up.

I think some sorta map would be a nice touch either way. Perhaps finding map pieces like the others are saying, that maybe only showed general locations and which area you're in, as opposed to a specific room by room grid style map. That way, the game isn't helping too much, but it could be neat, and provide another collectable.

::: Now playing: Demon's Souls, Portal 2 :::

Edited: 08/05/2010 at 12:00 PM by Levirules

Aug 5, 2010 at 1:38:20 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
^^^ I think it's about modern polish, and something fairly unique an NES game, more than it's about "necessity".

Aug 5, 2010 at 8:06:19 PM
Elijah (161)
(John (JD) Heins) < Wiz's Mom >
Iowa
Yeah, a map would be neat for sure

Selling everything.
-------> *Click Here* <--------

God loves everyone

Aug 5, 2010 at 8:32:59 PM
NESHomebrew (21)
Saskatchewan
I'd be happy with more computer terminals with some options on it.

Aug 5, 2010 at 8:40:48 PM
Sivak (44)
Ohio

Hrm.  Maybe have a terminal-only map?  You can't take it with you.  There's a thought.

Aug 5, 2010 at 9:02:38 PM
BulletHell (0)
Quebec

Hrm.  Maybe have a terminal-only map?  You can't take it with you.  There's a thought.

thats exactly what i though later today,just take super metroid map room for a exemple,you go inside the map room & download the map permenatly,since Timmy is a poor guy he cant dl the map so he need a terminal to know where he is and having a terminal like the 1st BK that give hints at the start of the game is also good since nobody will spoil the game at first.

Like arch angel said but i want BK to stay ''unique'' like we said in french!

PS:Switch Select & Start if you still have that metroid missile feature in mind! Sunsoft Batman is the perfect exemple!

Well,maybe im the only one but i really hope Battle Kid stay unique as the 1st one and those high tech-whoring idea is not worth it in my book,since we all learned from Inafking who try so hard & fail...

I trust you Sivak

Edit:Maybe im a little drunk,but i still manage to beat BK1 at V.Hard with 2BK and 2 nes running at the same time and yes its my gaming proud....

Edited: 08/05/2010 at 09:04 PM by BulletHell

Aug 5, 2010 at 9:47:27 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Who/what is Inafking?

Aug 5, 2010 at 9:53:40 PM
BulletHell (0)
Quebec
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Who/what is Inafking?

RockMan creator who was in the Street Fighter team at 1st,he tried so hard he failed during the PSX era til rockman9 and failed again with Rockman 10...in my book!

Aug 6, 2010 at 12:30:58 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: BulletHell

Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Who/what is Inafking?

RockMan creator who was in the Street Fighter team at 1st,he tried so hard he failed during the PSX era til rockman9 and failed again with Rockman 10...in my book!

I doubt he was actually involved with much of the details on the later games you dislike.
Those early star programmers have all gone on to be managers more than anything else.