Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

I have a dream... and other changes at retrousb for 2013

Dec 8, 2016 at 6:06:04 PM
megamanx4 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Cherub >
Originally posted by: Tulpa

Originally posted by: megamanx4
yes i lied i am the person you banned

yes i deserve this i'm sorry. i dont have anthing else to do on here i really am done. i didn't mean to be a jerk a swear swear swear swear

Dec 8, 2016 at 6:07:13 PM
megamanx4 (0)
< Cherub >
hey i'm asking to be banned now i really don't want to be on here anymore.

Dec 8, 2016 at 6:11:57 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States

Close the site, log off or turn off your computer. Stop spamming please.  

-------------------------

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Dec 8, 2016 at 6:13:02 PM
megamanx4 (0)
< Cherub >
ok logging off sorry again really really sorry

Dec 8, 2016 at 6:17:56 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida

ok logging off sorry again really really sorry

Hey man, how was your day today?

edit: I put up some Christmas lights and ate a turkey sandwich.

It was a good day.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Edited: 12/08/2016 at 06:18 PM by KHAN Games

Dec 8, 2016 at 6:58:56 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Originally posted by: AaronE

I'm getting deja vu.

What are the pallette number values? No like the numerical values. Seriously what are the values.

That kind of deja vu?

BTW incase anyone missed it... now is the time to order your AVS. I saw on FB the current stock is expected to sell out in the next 2-3 weeks and a restock won't happen until March 2017 or later.

That's awesome. Brian should really give himself a pat on the back on a successful first run...  

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Dec 8, 2016 at 7:04:12 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: Mega Tank

Close the site, log off or turn off your computer. Stop spamming please.  
Generally it's not something you ask for. They hand those out for free to people who break the rules or are being general d!cks. If you really want a banhammer, I'm sure you can come up with a creative way to ensure that you receive one, if not already teetering on the precipice.  

Dec 8, 2016 at 7:11:51 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania

yes i lied i am the person you banned but that was all i lied on here

That's all I needed. Glad you got your final answer and hope you enjoy your AVS. It's a terrific system.

Dec 17, 2016 at 3:12:51 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Holy cow Brian, you sold out already?
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Congrats dude. Have a beer on us!    

Edited: 12/17/2016 at 03:18 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Dec 22, 2016 at 2:05:01 PM
leonquest (0)

< Tourian Tourist >
Alabama
Originally posted by: Kosmic StarDust

Originally posted by: KHAN Games

Originally posted by: Sargon

I haven't checked back here in awhile. Has there been any progress on the "green strip" cart issues?

There isn't much progress to be made. The replacement adapters just need to be made.
The "green strip" thing is the result of the connector being too shallow so no amount of firmware updates will fix it. Brian is working on drop in replacements for daughterboard that houses the NES connector.

In the meantime, feel free to use a Game Genie or Famicom adapter as a pass through device to play these games.
Is that an issue for both the FC and NES connectors? or only the NES connector? 

Also, if I use a broken NES's 72pin connector on the AVS, will it work?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gaming since 1987 - Systems owned nowadays:

Xbox360 Consoles: Corona
Xbox Consoles: Xcalibur 1.6

PS3 Consoles: CECH-2511A
PS2 Consoles: V6/SCPH-30001R, V7/SCPH-39001, V9/SCPH-50001
PS1 Consoles: SCPH-7501, SCPH-5501(3), SCPH-9001
Sat Consoles: HST-0001 VA0 
Gen Consoles: Genesis 2 VA3 (3)
Wii Consoles: RVL-CPU-01
N64 Consoles: NUS-CPU-05, NUS-CPU-02
Snes Consoles: SHVC-CPU-01, SNS-CPU-GPM-01 (2), SNS-CPU-GPM-02, SNS-CPU-1CHIP-01
Nes Consoles: AVS NES v2

Dec 22, 2016 at 2:12:21 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: leonquest

Only NES so far. Don't know if any FC carts have the green strip. You can get green strip games to work if you insert them left side first.

NES toaster connectors won't work. Totally different design. Toploader, dunno. But Brian has said a replacement connector that'll work every time is in the pipeline.

Dec 22, 2016 at 4:01:33 PM
leonquest (0)

< Tourian Tourist >
Alabama

Originally posted by: leonquest

Only NES so far. Don't know if any FC carts have the green strip. You can get green strip games to work if you insert them left side first.

NES toaster connectors won't work. Totally different design. Toploader, dunno. But Brian has said a replacement connector that'll work every time is in the pipeline.

Thanks for the info! I did know the part about Brian sourcing a new, improved connector though. What I wanted to avoid was having to import to my country just over a single connector that I may or may not use. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gaming since 1987 - Systems owned nowadays:

Xbox360 Consoles: Corona
Xbox Consoles: Xcalibur 1.6

PS3 Consoles: CECH-2511A
PS2 Consoles: V6/SCPH-30001R, V7/SCPH-39001, V9/SCPH-50001
PS1 Consoles: SCPH-7501, SCPH-5501(3), SCPH-9001
Sat Consoles: HST-0001 VA0 
Gen Consoles: Genesis 2 VA3 (3)
Wii Consoles: RVL-CPU-01
N64 Consoles: NUS-CPU-05, NUS-CPU-02
Snes Consoles: SHVC-CPU-01, SNS-CPU-GPM-01 (2), SNS-CPU-GPM-02, SNS-CPU-1CHIP-01
Nes Consoles: AVS NES v2

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:27:33 PM
tacoboy42 (0)
(Taco man) < Tourian Tourist >
United States
anyone know if the controller is still in the works?

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:31:49 PM
mattbep (107)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: tacoboy42

It most definitely is. Not sure of the progress yet. Maybe Christmas 2017!(?)

Dec 23, 2016 at 12:46:57 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: mattbep

Originally posted by: tacoboy42

It most definitely is. Not sure of the progress yet. Maybe Christmas 2017!(?)
I am still very interested in this.

Dec 23, 2016 at 1:00:19 AM
mattbep (107)
Pennsylvania
Same. I am absolutely buying at least 2 as soon as they are available.

Dec 23, 2016 at 1:12:55 AM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Controller is in manufacturing right now! But likely nothing will actually happen until March because the microswitches are in short supply right now.

Dec 23, 2016 at 1:29:18 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

Controller is in manufacturing right now! But likely nothing will actually happen until March because the microswitches are in short supply right now.
^ ^

Not sure where else to put this but here goes. I have a product request:

Brian since you are back in the manufacturing business, I was wondering if you had any plans to expand the RetroUSB line of controller adapters, or are those getting phased out? I recently bought the Hyperkin NES classic mini to NES controller adapter (with the intention of using it with Wiimotes, and potentially an NES Mini if I ever find one at retail) and it's trash from an electronics perspective.

Here's a teardown if you want a look:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/302...

The adapter consists of a single 8-pin SMT microcontroller and a couple resistors and a .1uF cap. VCC and GND on the NES controller port are wired directly to the Wiimote jack. The NES Mini runs on a 3.3V bus but the NES controllers were designed for a 5V supply. I tested the adapter through my Wiimote Plus (with fresh alkaline batteries) and the voltage on the NES controller port measured 3.17V. No surprise my NES controllers (clone and OEM) didn't work.  

Hyperkin could easily have fixed this issue by using a 3.3V micro with 5V tolerant inputs, and a 5V boost regulator to supply the VCC pin on the NES controller port. As long as the micro output more than 2.5V "high" logic, that should be enough to satisfy the input requirements of the CD4021 or whatever 5V logic chips the official or third party NES controller used. Yet by cutting corners, they have instead released a device that absolutely does not work at all with Wiimotes, and when plugged into the Mini, barely works (if at all) with bitd NES controllers such as the NES Advantage, NES Max, and other third party controllers with turbo functionality or additional circuitry.

I just think that there is a demand for quality 3rd party solution for using NES/SNES controllers for the NES Mini as well as Virtual Console games on Wiis/Wii-Us that lack backwards compatibility with Game Cube. I had the old Game Cube NES/SNES adapters, but since migrating my VC titles over to Wii-U, the NES adapter was all but useless and the SNES one is only really good for Game Boy Player, which it is absolutely perfect for. Heck, your adapters even worked flawlessly with these massive custom arcade controllers:

I know you were the first guy manufacturing this kind of stuff, and now all the clone companies are making USB dongles and other controller adapters, only they are doing a half-assed job of it. I'm afraid if I buy another "NES Classic Mini to NES controller" adapter from someone else, it will have the same type of shoddy circuitry in it. A lot of these clone companies don't even develop their own stuff in house, but would rather just slap their name on Chinese clone products.

Edited: 12/23/2016 at 01:45 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Dec 23, 2016 at 2:34:18 AM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
I can't do projects like that because cost always beats quality at that size of an item. Programming would take a few days, but its $20k for tooling and $20k for manufacturing then a 10 year effort to sell them all. They sell 100x more units making garbage at half the price, and nobody cares that it doesn't work because its only $10.

Everything I have on my list is unique enough that copying it takes real engineering, so chinese companies can't just whip out a shitty version. They will still try, like the HDMI adapter packed on the buggy NOAC for the Gamerz Tek 8 bit HD system.

I am at the point where financially I can do projects that won't make much profit, but I can't yet afford to lose money. I have been lining up my dreams for 2017 if you have an idea that is more than "make good version of chinese crap"  

Dec 23, 2016 at 5:33:32 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

I can't do projects like that because cost always beats quality at that size of an item. Programming would take a few days, but its $20k for tooling and $20k for manufacturing then a 10 year effort to sell them all. They sell 100x more units making garbage at half the price, and nobody cares that it doesn't work because its only $10.

Everything I have on my list is unique enough that copying it takes real engineering, so chinese companies can't just whip out a shitty version. They will still try, like the HDMI adapter packed on the buggy NOAC for the Gamerz Tek 8 bit HD system.
allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IIJ..." width="500">>

I am at the point where financially I can do projects that won't make much profit, but I can't yet afford to lose money. I have been lining up my dreams for 2017 if you have an idea that is more than "make good version of chinese crap"  

My Gamerz Tek worked on CVIII but had the same reversed duty cycles as the 2004 Yobos. My SRT sounds correct on Super Mario (no swapped duty) but the CVIII audio (when played on an Everdrive because the real cart don't work) is shit. Seems the new "HD" Gamerz Tek is enen worse somehow. Let's see...

Retro Freak and Retron5 use stolen emulators. All the legal plug and plays (with the exception of NES Classic Mini) have terrible audio and emulation bugs. This includes the AtGames Atari Portable and Genesis clones (both of which take SD cards) and the new Retrobit Generations (backdoor loading is extremely easy) which are buggy or broken not only with external ROMs but the built in games themselves. And NES Classic Mini gets a passing grade only because Nintendo invested the necessary R&D because their reputation depends on it not being junk.

Your AVS console is absolutely perfect (well almost aside from some mechanical issues that have already been addressed, it has just the right balance between features vs accessibility vs price) and gets better with every firmware update. And yes, probably better not to copy the clone junk. I'm just so weary everytime some company puts out an awesome concept that turns out to be junk because they didn't put enough thought into it. Sure the AVS is 3+ times as much compared to most cloned hardware, but it is worth it.

Edited: 12/23/2016 at 05:37 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Dec 23, 2016 at 8:14:11 PM
Great Hierophant (1)
(Great Hierophant) < Eggplant Wizard >
Massachusetts
The Gamerz Tek HD is like putting a fresh coat of paint on a deck with wood rot.  While neither The NES Classic Edition nor the Atari Flashback 2 was a perfect product, each stands as the retro-box king of their respective eras.

Edited: 12/23/2016 at 08:59 PM by Great Hierophant

Dec 24, 2016 at 12:09:43 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: Great Hierophant

The Gamerz Tek HD is like putting a fresh coat of paint on a deck with wood rot.  While neither The NES Classic Edition nor the Atari Flashback 2 was a perfect product, each stands as the retro-box king of their respective eras.
Well put. Can't wait until someone puts a foot through that shiny new deck and sues!  

Dec 24, 2016 at 12:14:19 AM
pyrotek85 (0)
< Crack Trooper >
Pennsylvania
Ugh, the audio from that cheapo clone is awful. Sometimes music might sound off a bit from a clone or emulator, and it's mostly only noticeable if you know how it's supposed to sound. But that thing should sound obviously bad to anyone who listens.

Dec 27, 2016 at 7:49:10 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
So I got a new second Xexyz cart. And tried it out. It hangs after a few seconds on the title screen.  

But!

If I can hit start before it hangs, it doesn't lock up like the old one does, at least not the first level. Progress!

Disclaimer: I have not yet tried the b7 firmware. That comes next.

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:51:50 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Nope, still locks up somewhere in the first level. Even with the b7 firmware.

I think my AVS doesn't like Xexyz.   Maybe it prefers Sunsoft games?