Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2012 Weekly Contest Presents: Bad Dudes Contest ends Sunday, 9/9/12 at 10 PM NA time

Sep 2, 2012 at 10:03:59 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Hey everyone and welcome to the final contest of Block 5.  This week's game is gonna be Bad Dudes.  Are you a bad enough dude to participate this week?  Here are the rules:

• Play until Game Over (no continues allowed)
  • To get your score, press continue or start a new game and immediately take your picture.  Your score will be in the High Score spot.
  • Highest score wins
  • GENRE: Beat 'em up

The contest ends Sunday, 9/9/12 at 10 PM NA time.  Your user name must be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

-------------------------

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 09/10/2012 at 12:11 AM by NintendoAge Moderator

Sep 3, 2012 at 12:46:57 AM
Miss Clawful (19)
(Megan Roberts) < Ridley Wrangler >
North Carolina
Are you a bad enough dude to beat me? I'm in on this one!

Sep 3, 2012 at 9:13:54 AM
NESMASTER14 (26)
(color dreams) < King Solomon >
Virginia
Wow, I still don't own this game! Might have to pick one up this week

Sep 3, 2012 at 9:21:22 AM
DMG (47)
(Dustin G.) < Kraid Killer >
Germany
^I thought the same thing when I checked my collection.

Sep 3, 2012 at 9:41:22 AM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Sep 3, 2012 at 12:52:30 PM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles

-Are you a bad enough dude to participate this week?

-Are you a bad enough dude to beat me?

I couldn't resist
. It was soooo tempting.

REMIX

CLASSIC

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Sep 3, 2012 at 3:47:29 PM
WashYourFace (4)
(Jay ) < Kraid Killer >
Ohio

Are we playing with no Continues?  I assume so, but it doesn't actually say Game Over unless you choose "End'.

Now playing:
• Ni no Kuni
Listening to:
• "Second Hand News" -Fleetwood Mac

I am one of the elite in game playing circles... a "Nintendo Lemming Master"

Sep 3, 2012 at 8:02:45 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina
Here's a low score to get things going. My first attempt this year 709,900, had 3 deaths (flail boss, and both stick fighters). Really should have had a 1 life rule this time, certainly would make things more challenging, at least for me. Second go at it, 719,000 with 2 deaths.

Edited: 09/08/2012 at 05:24 AM by Miss Clawful

Sep 4, 2012 at 4:08:30 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Originally posted by: WashYourFace

Are we playing with no Continues?  I assume so, but it doesn't actually say Game Over unless you choose "End'.

Yes, we are playing with no continues.  It will be ok to hit continue to take your picture so you don't have to restart the NES or anything like that.  I will clarify the rules in the first post.

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Edited: 09/04/2012 at 04:10 PM by bimmy_lee

Sep 5, 2012 at 1:00:59 PM
rdrunner (35)
(Tom Votava) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Ugh, I'm discovering that pressing this game for points is rather boring. It's a fun game if you play it normally though. I hope to no-death the game, if I can just figure out that train boss.

Tom Votava
http://rdrunner0077.blogspot.com/

Sep 6, 2012 at 1:46:06 AM
DailyNostalgia (18)
< Kraid Killer >
New York
Looks like fun. Going to give this a go Friday night after work

Sep 6, 2012 at 3:09:14 AM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: rdrunner

Ugh, I'm discovering that pressing this game for points is rather boring. It's a fun game if you play it normally though. I hope to no-death the game, if I can just figure out that train boss.

Yeah, no matter how you go about killing enemies points are always the same, no changes based on how they are killed, just kill as many as you can. I've tested out killing enemies up to the last couple ticks on the clock, then compared with a quick rush through the same level (1st stage) not stopping, killing Karnov with like 36 game seconds left, and score for both, very close scores. I haven't yet tried to get through without taking any hits though. But I'm thinking, this game don't have any special score bonuses, everything straight forward scoring wise just as with the gameplay. Its not a hard game to beat, done did that many times, but to no death it I find that some dudes in this game can be troublesome (flail boss and stick fighter). Was hoping for a one life rule on this one since last time the rules were the same as they are now, but if anything it gives everyone the chance to improve their game without having to restart after every single death.

Sep 6, 2012 at 3:13:55 PM
rdrunner (35)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: Miss Clawful

Yeah, no matter how you go about killing enemies points are always the same, no changes based on how they are killed, just kill as many as you can. I've tested out killing enemies up to the last couple ticks on the clock, then compared with a quick rush through the same level (1st stage) not stopping, killing Karnov with like 36 game seconds left, and score for both, very close scores. I haven't yet tried to get through without taking any hits though. But I'm thinking, this game don't have any special score bonuses, everything straight forward scoring wise just as with the gameplay. Its not a hard game to beat, done did that many times, but to no death it I find that some dudes in this game can be troublesome (flail boss and stick fighter). Was hoping for a one life rule on this one since last time the rules were the same as they are now, but if anything it gives everyone the chance to improve their game without having to restart after every single death.

Yup, definitely no bonuses for time or health.

I think I've found the ideal strategy: Get to the final stage with as many lives as possible and point rack forever until you're down to your last life.  Why the final stage?  Because the game timer is set to 80 on that level, more than any other stage.

A couple of things about this:

1. Whatever you do, make sure you beat the game.  You get over 400,000 points for completing the last level, which is way more points than racking alone.

2. When I say forever, I MEAN forever!    It takes about an hour to rack out the final stage clock a maximum of 8 times (for a zero death run, you'll have 8 lives to spare).  This is what I have found to be boring about pressing the scoreboard on this game.  It only take a few minutes to play through, but racking takes this long?  Not good.

Tom Votava

Sep 6, 2012 at 9:14:17 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina

Yup, definitely no bonuses for time or health.

I think I've found the ideal strategy: Get to the final stage with as many lives as possible and point rack forever until you're down to your last life.  Why the final stage?  Because the game timer is set to 80 on that level, more than any other stage.

A couple of things about this:

1. Whatever you do, make sure you beat the game.  You get over 400,000 points for completing the last level, which is way more points than racking alone.

2. When I say forever, I MEAN forever!    It takes about an hour to rack out the final stage clock a maximum of 8 times (for a zero death run, you'll have 8 lives to spare).  This is what I have found to be boring about pressing the scoreboard on this game.  It only take a few minutes to play through, but racking takes this long?  Not good.

Ain't no way I'm going to sit around racking up points the cheap way. Waiting for time to completely run out so that it'll reset. You know, and I completely did not consider this being that every death drops you immediately back into action right where you died to continue the fight without falling back, and since I hadn't run out of time on this game since, never. But obviously if they didn't reset it, well then it'd be game over no matter how many lives you had (duh). And that's what happens when you spend too much time on trying not to die in games instead of the complete opposite, and not being one to experiment on different ways to gaining points (not my high points in gaming). But yeah, its not good, and in the end it'd be as lame as what happened with Snake Rattle N Roll some years ago, what was a fun game was made into a boring sit around and collect easy points until you are forced to move on from lack of any more chances or short on time. So I'm going to leave my score as is. I got some other stuff going on anyway. Bad Dudes is a fun game, one of my favorites that I tend to pick up and play several times each year or so, so I don't want to ruin it. Good call on mentioning the timer reset thing, but will this be allowable (I guess so being so far into the week)?

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:59:35 PM
WashYourFace (4)
(Jay ) < Kraid Killer >
Ohio

Got a little further tonight.
Another game I haven't played since probably 1990.

Now playing:
• Ni no Kuni
Listening to:
• "Second Hand News" -Fleetwood Mac

I am one of the elite in game playing circles... a "Nintendo Lemming Master"

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:43:14 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec

Good call on mentioning the timer reset thing, but will this be allowable (I guess so being so far into the week)?

We usually accept points racking with games that have a timer, so no problem here.

Sep 7, 2012 at 12:13:25 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan

This will be it for me this week.  Heading to North Carolina tomorrow for the rest of the weekend.  Guillavoie will tally up the results on Sunday night.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Sep 7, 2012 at 3:25:45 AM
rdrunner (35)
North Carolina
Yup, I definitely agree that it's "cheap" to score points in the manner I described above.  However, since it cannot be done forever, I also agree that it's a perfectly legal tactic.

The good news is that if you want your deathless run challenge, I can give you one...Beat this score!

I was able to pull off a "perfect" game where I never died except when the clock ran out, then beat the game on my last life.  It took me about 90 minutes of gameplay (60 min on the final stage).

The deathless run is actually really simple once you know what to do.  Here's a hint: Always use the Nunchuks weapon throughout the game.  If used correctly, it's possible to kill every boss without even taking damage!  (yes, this includes the train boss with the sickle and chain)

Tom Votava

Sep 7, 2012 at 1:38:19 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina
Thank you. Beat the game without dying already, twice, once in 2009, once this contest, sure its not something I can pull off all the time, but no problem there, no deather I can do (which is why I never thought of the clock thing, too much emphasis on getting through the game with as few deaths as possible). I may take up the challenge with the racking, will have to see if later I feel like it.

Sep 7, 2012 at 9:01:05 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina

Update:

Beat my own personal high score from last year. Did some experimenting, found what I'd been doing wrong lately because my score has been kinda low last half dozen games. Not sure yet whether I'll bother with the point racking thing. But since I toppled my own score, here it is 723,700 (1 death).

Okay, another game later, another update:

Best my top score again, this time without dying.

Edited: 09/08/2012 at 07:32 PM by Miss Clawful

Sep 8, 2012 at 12:05:14 AM
Megamanfan (174)
(Andy Lynch) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
This game got me very angry. I did try getting a good score but wow.

When the going gets tough the tough get gaming
Click Link below for my for sale thread

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&...

Sep 8, 2012 at 11:15:25 AM
DMG (47)
(Dustin G.) < Kraid Killer >
Germany

I might give this another go tomorrow. I would rather play Kung Fu, though.

Sep 8, 2012 at 3:16:52 PM
RetroDave (41)
(Dave T) < El Ripper >
Massachusetts

I have fond memories of this game.

Bad Dudes Score

For sale/trade.  Want to trade for.

Sep 8, 2012 at 3:47:51 PM
ihavethatpma (324)
(Doombutt Jazzmouth) < Bowser >
Washington
You guys are ballers, I can't get more than 10k!

Sep 8, 2012 at 6:34:59 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina
Okay, so, much as I didn't want to, ugh, do I really want to do this? Oh hell, if I can pull it off, sure, why not. I just had to do it, I mean, come on, contest, I'm a bad enough dudette, a few thousand ninja, bring 'em on!

Only going to give this one shot though, that's it, and if I failed, oh, the misery of failure, all that painstaking point racking for nothing. I racked the hell out of this, bastards kept coming like an army of blue and gray ants, never ending, ninja infinito. Down to my last life, zero left, okay, calm down, no need to be nervous, afterall one serious mess up and that's it, game over. Yeah, that's not comforting. Picked up my nunchaku (couldn't miss these, otherwise that stick fighter could have a good chance of ending it for me) and carried on, rebeating boss after boss, all easy but still I was tense, then stick fighter dude, I hate this guy, and the jerk managed to get in a few licks. Whew, beat 'im. Now, usually I fight the Dragon Ninja with my super punches because it just makes for a harder beating on him, but this time, stick to nunchaku, take no chances. Dropped that punk! President rescued, again.

Score 501600 once I used up all of my lives to the timer, hope that's enough to take the top score spot. Time to go!

Gotta beat this 80s rock video ninja!

Whoo-hoo! Hey, where I'd go?

Burger, burger...

Final score 967,500

That's it, I'm done! No way am I going through that painstaking racking again, my thumb hurts.