Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Backlit Gameboy Option Need some handheld experts

Dec 9, 2012 at 5:34:33 PM
Zwario (30)
(Carlos Monoz) < Meka Chicken >
California
Hey Gents, (and ladies?),

So I purchased Metroid 2 on original Grey Gameboy cart,

Popped it into my Standard Gameboy advance, it plays great, the GBA even adds a few colors (I think)

Anyway... Unless the lighting is perfect, it's really hard to see the screen,

So my question is, what is the best handheld for playing Original Gameboy games?? (something that still adds colors, can also play GBC or GBA?)

What would you handheld Gurus suggest?

Thanks,

Zwario

Dec 9, 2012 at 5:53:37 PM
DailyNostalgia (18)
< Kraid Killer >
New York
Pick up a Game Boy Advance SP model ags-101. Brightest backscreen compared to the early SP models.

Edited: 12/09/2012 at 05:54 PM by DailyNostalgia

Dec 9, 2012 at 5:55:26 PM
Hash47 (0)
(matt ) < Tourian Tourist >
United Kingdom
The Gameboy Advance SP AGS-101 model is by far your best bet, it has a backlit screen and is super bright in comparison to all the previous gameboys.

Dec 9, 2012 at 5:57:29 PM
JJAAMMEESSNNEESS (332)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(James S) < Bowser >
California
as for a mod , try to get a NA member here to do it
its called the "After Burner" mod

its pretty cool looking and always wanted to get one

File:Game-Boy-Advance-Afterburner-installed.jpg

-------------------------
See how I made my way into the HOS!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Edited: 12/09/2012 at 05:58 PM by JJAAMMEESSNNEESS

Dec 9, 2012 at 6:11:43 PM
DailyNostalgia (18)
< Kraid Killer >
New York
The backlit GBA mod is nice, but compared to the SP you don't need to keep buying batteries. If you don't like the size and the feel of the GBA SP you should probably look into finding someone to add a backlit to a regular GBA.

Dec 9, 2012 at 6:19:07 PM
Zwario (30)
(Carlos Monoz) < Meka Chicken >
California
Cool, thanks guys!

Next question... Anybody have one of these for sale?

Thanks

Dec 9, 2012 at 6:31:36 PM
frodizle7 (0)
(Luke L) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
I have a spare sp charger if you find console only.

"NO!"- Rosa Parks

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:01:10 PM
MottZilla (0)
(Mott Zilla) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Well, you have so many options when it comes to Gameboy. First off you have your original DMG model which all have the pea soup green screen. The issues with it are the STN LCD is blurry and requires good lighting. You can get systems that have been modded with lighting systems though. I don't know about with a mod but normally these systems have pretty good battery life but takes 4 AAs.

Next you have the MGB model, aka the Gameboy Pocket. They only take 2 AAAs and still get pretty good battery life. Advantages over the original model are it's slimmer, slightly bigger screen that is more black and white than the original's greenish screen. The screen may be less blurry, faster response time perhaps. Generally it's a step up over the original except the sound quality of the speaker isn't as good as the original. Still you need good lighting.

Here we have the CGB model, the Gameboy Color. It only takes 2 AAs and gets possibly the best battery life from a single set of batteries than any other model. Next advantage to mention is the CGB has a TFT LCD rather than STN which is much clearer and doesn't have the blurring issues of the past ones. Still requires good lighting. But it should be mentioned that the GBC has a larger screen when playing GB and CGB titles compared to the GBA and GBA SP. Remember that when using the GBA a portion of the screen is unused when in GBC mode. The resulting viewable area is a size less than that of the CGB LCD screen size. And like the MGB the speaker isn't the best quality, but really only the original DMG model had good speakers. The CGB really is great except for its lack of built in lighting. However it is possible to get one with a lighting modification. Sadly most or all use the lighting system from a butchered GBA SP model 001.

Last up are the GBA and GBA SP. As mentioned the screen size the GB/CGB games get is smaller than on the CGB. However you have a built in lighting system with the SP, the LCD is sharp and blur free. Battery life in the GBA is nearly as good as the CGB. In the GBA SP who cares, it's rechargeable. Though the time of play you get out of that rechargeable before needing to recharge is going to be less than the GBA or CGB gets out of alkaline AAs. Another advantage besides the built in lighting is of course you can play GBA games! The GBA probably has better ergonomics than the GBA SP.

My preference would be either the CGB or GBA SP. The CGB lacks a lighting system without being modded but otherwise it's pretty great. You can even install a better speaker or do modification to it to sound better, or just use the headphone jack. Just get some good light, it shouldn't that too hard! Otherwise, the GBA SP.. the main issues are the smaller screen size during GB/CGB games is kind of a drag, and the ergonomics may not be as nice as all the other models but you can probably deal with it. A huge plus for the GBA SP is it's truly portable with its flip open design which protects the LCD screen and controls. It should fit in most pockets pretty well. The CGB may fit in some pockets but you best not have anything to scratch up your screen in there.

Since your original post was about lighting problems I think you should just buy a good condition GBA SP (either version). They aren't terribly expensive. If you want to play on the big screen, you should track down a GameCube GB Player (make sure it has the DVD disc) and get a retrousb.com SNES controller adapter for the GameCube/Wii. Or if you can live without GBC, the Super Gameboy is dirt cheap.

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:35:42 PM
stlnprfln (8)
(Big Daddy Kornbred) < Eggplant Wizard >
Georgia
Here is another option for your original GBA to help with the lighting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Halo-Back...

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:41:56 PM
Shinju (53)
(Nintendo Collector) < Ridley Wrangler >
Washington
I will have to track down my extra sp 101.

Edited: 12/09/2012 at 11:42 PM by Shinju

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:17:08 AM
MottZilla (0)
(Mott Zilla) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
I wonder now if that Halo light product could be modded into a GBC like the SP light.

Dec 10, 2012 at 7:13:02 AM
zeldaboy (162)
(Andrew DeRouin) < King Solomon >
Florida
As already said, AGS-101 is a great way to go. Also, I think the original battery that comes with it was a 600 mAh. You can buy a 900 mAh for a little bit more battery life.

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:24:13 AM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
Originally posted by: WeLoveClassicGames

The backlit GBA mod is nice, but compared to the SP you don't need to keep buying batteries. If you don't like the size and the feel of the GBA SP you should probably look into finding someone to add a backlit to a regular GBA.
One could argue the afterburner GBA is still best.  All you need to do is buy a 4 pack of super long life rechargable lithium ion batteries and a charger from any random drug store or radio shack and battery costs don't matter anymore.  Also those will be around a lot longer than legit or chinese knockoff SP batteries as the AA is a long term standard.