Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

This is a fake right? 5 screw MTPO on ebay

Jun 02 at 6:25:51 AM
wyansas (22)
< Little Mac >
California
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mike-Tysons-Punch-Out-Nintendo-NES-...
The label is peeled up in the corners and on the top, label is a bit crooked, and it's non-REV-A.  All the Mike Tyson 5 screws were REV-A, right?

Edited: 06/02/2019 at 06:26 AM by wyansas

Jun 02 at 8:43:05 AM
dewisp02 (78)
(Mr. Jason) < Ridley Wrangler >
Indiana
Sure does look suspect.

-------------------------

WANTED NES: BoxBomberman II, Bubble Bobble 2, Chubby Cherub, Color A Dinosaur, Pro Sport Hockey, Volleyball
                      Manual- Dragon Fighter, Jetson's, Operation Secret Storm, SCAT, Stack Up, Stinger, Sword Master
                      Manual and Box- Arkanoid, Jimmy Connor's Tennis, Little Ninja Brothers, Mickey in Numberland, Sqoon

Jun 02 at 12:08:01 PM
Sign Collector Guy (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
Suspicious for sure. Alot of signs of the label being lifted and reapplied. That being said I cant say for sure.

Jun 02 at 12:12:44 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Looks like dude was impatient with the hair dryer.

Jun 02 at 4:16:29 PM
wyansas (22)
< Little Mac >
California
The kicker to me is the back label. A good fake would have REV-A on the back label.
Is there a way to make sure some poor sap doesn't spend hundreds of dollars on this?

Jun 02 at 5:45:27 PM
DaneNES (7)
< Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
He has 100% feedback. It's weird tho..

“Be quiet brain, or ill stab you with a Q-tip” ~Homer Simpson 

Jun 02 at 10:16:16 PM
Darth Vader (84)
(Tony Scarlato) < El Ripper >
Illinois
100% a fake. If you look at the label close it has signs that it's been heated. Almost looks like water damage on a box but labels don't look like that after water damage. A buddy of mine transplanted a Snow Brothers label back in the day because there was a giant chunk of plastic cracked off the front. He was as delicate as he could be and the label still turned out with the same "finish" as this label.

Jun 02 at 10:42:35 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: wyansas

Is there a way to make sure some poor sap doesn't spend hundreds of dollars on this?

Not really. You can report it to eBay, but don't count on them rushing to take it down. They barely do anything about the cheap AliExpress fakes all over the place.

Jun 08 at 11:05:14 AM
wyansas (22)
< Little Mac >
California

Jun 08 at 2:07:18 PM
ExplodedHamster (183)
(Joe Dirt) < King Solomon >
United States
FYI, I know the buyer of the original and alerted him to this thread, so that one is in the process of being returned.

Good looking out!

Edited: 06/08/2019 at 02:07 PM by ExplodedHamster

Jun 08 at 6:35:51 PM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York
FWIW my 5 screw doesn't have Rev-A on the back. It also has security bits, orange dots and not even a number printed on the back label.

Mutant Virus strat thread.  Help each other finally put the nail in the coffin for this game, EVERY time.
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jun 08 at 6:47:24 PM
Sign Collector Guy (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States

And another one!
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/...

Oh good grief. lol

Jun 12 at 9:46:13 AM
Nesmaniac (3)
(Matthew Sizemore) < Eggplant Wizard >
Kentucky
Looks legit to me. I say this just by going by how the label has peeled in layers as does any legit nes label from age frays I guess would be the term. Heating a label and removing it and putting it on a 5 screw cart I guess might could replicate this to a certain extent. The back label without the REV-A I've seen on other copies that also look legit being worn badly and such but the board and chip date of third week of 87 says a lot. The only way to be reasonably sure would be to see the dates the chips inside were manufactured. I have some old label MTPO's with the flathead screws with chips that date pretty early in 87 so they were just after the 5 screws. The fact that the other worn one I see has the same back label (No REV-A) and is worn badly with 3rd week of 87 chip tells me it is in all likely hood authentic but this one who knows without seeing the board. At any rate there's going to be so many fakes of these pop up that it's going to be difficult to prove so I see the value being hurt drastically by the fakes. One with a real 5 screw it would be hard to convince anyone once they see so many fakes especially if they are going far enough to make them look worn. Personally I looked for one for years with nothing showing up on ebay except ones so high priced I didn't even look close because out of my range. Only way I would feel good about one on ebay is to find a lot of NES games with one in the bunch without emphasis on it being a 5 screw. Possible but would require much time searching. I actually got my copy of Little Samson years ago in a fairly huge NES collection and many of the titles had original manuals and luckily Little Samson was one that did.

Jun 13 at 1:30:52 AM
wyansas (22)
< Little Mac >
California
Originally posted by: Nesmaniac

Looks legit to me. I say this just by going by how the label has peeled in layers as does any legit nes label from age frays I guess would be the term. Heating a label and removing it and putting it on a 5 screw cart I guess might could replicate this to a certain extent. The back label without the REV-A I've seen on other copies that also look legit being worn badly and such but the board and chip date of third week of 87 says a lot. The only way to be reasonably sure would be to see the dates the chips inside were manufactured. I have some old label MTPO's with the flathead screws with chips that date pretty early in 87 so they were just after the 5 screws. The fact that the other worn one I see has the same back label (No REV-A) and is worn badly with 3rd week of 87 chip tells me it is in all likely hood authentic but this one who knows without seeing the board. At any rate there's going to be so many fakes of these pop up that it's going to be difficult to prove so I see the value being hurt drastically by the fakes. One with a real 5 screw it would be hard to convince anyone once they see so many fakes especially if they are going far enough to make them look worn. Personally I looked for one for years with nothing showing up on ebay except ones so high priced I didn't even look close because out of my range. Only way I would feel good about one on ebay is to find a lot of NES games with one in the bunch without emphasis on it being a 5 screw. Possible but would require much time searching. I actually got my copy of Little Samson years ago in a fairly huge NES collection and many of the titles had original manuals and luckily Little Samson was one that did.

What's the chip date range for the 5 screws?  And is it the same chip date range for all the variants of the 5 screw--the white bullet points, the orange bullets with no part #, and the orange bullets with the part #?

Jun 13 at 9:40:36 AM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York
Its hard to see because the some of the chips used the company used a proprietary method for chip dates instead of the standard. It took a while for me to figure out but I had late Nov of 87. That really should be the range.

Mutant Virus strat thread.  Help each other finally put the nail in the coffin for this game, EVERY time.
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jun 13 at 5:33:18 PM
Nesmaniac (3)
(Matthew Sizemore) < Eggplant Wizard >
Kentucky

Originally posted by: Nesmaniac

What's the chip date range for the 5 screws?  And is it the same chip date range for all the variants of the 5 screw--the white bullet points, the orange bullets with no part #, and the orange bullets with the part #?

I would think chip dates would vary a bit in 5 screw carts but seeing early versions of MTPO that I have just before 5 screw and the chip dates on the one I see listed tells me if right it should fall under the 20-30th week of 87 to be authentic. My Gold Famicom Punch-out I believe it was early half of 87 as well.