Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Things a Super Mario Bros prototype ought to have Miyamoto talks about SMB beta stuff

Dec 31, 2010 at 2:08:20 PM
hedgehog2489 (0)
(John Mills) < Cherub >
Florida
Curious no one have talked about this here so, here we go!

In this IGN article
http://wii.ign.com/articles/114/1...

they summarize from the original one
http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/mari...

the characteristics that Nintendo devs tried in the development of original Super Mario Bros.

These are:
  • Mario used a gun and bullets (instead of fireballs).
  • Mario jumps on a cloud and would shoot at enemies like some space ships shooter games. The only footprints left of that are the sky bonus levels.
  • In the beginning, Mario was tiny. Mario was made bigger than it was in the final version.
  • Mario flying in the sky. First time this happened was in SMB 3... No. It seems this was tried in SMB beta builds.
In other article:
http://kotaku.com/5715916/why-the...

Based on Japanese Iwata Asks, Miyamoto says why there are coins in Super Mario Bros. Those actually where fruits, but because players would confuse (fear?) them and then, will avoid taking them (I wonder which kind of design would they have to scare players) the fruits where replaced by coins.

So far, some of these characteristics must be in the earlier or half development prototypes of Super Mario Bros. They came from official source.

-------------------------

Dec 31, 2010 at 2:50:52 PM
RetroNESNerd (77)
(Justin S) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska
Some pretty cool stuff, thanks for sharing. Who would have thought Mario with a gun.

Dec 31, 2010 at 4:21:19 PM
hedgehog2489 (0)
(John Mills) < Cherub >
Florida
I found something interesting, another prototype characteristic that appear in Mario All Stars Wii History Booklet.

In the SMB development BG Planning Sheets you can see in the little book, if you look closely you will find this:

Now, in "The Cutting Room Floor", Super Mario Bros Section Here:
http://tcrf.net/Super_Mario_Bros....

They say this about unused objects:

"There is residual code for a object that allows Mario to climb up and down like a vine or rope. When climbing up this object, the sound of Mario hitting his head is played. This object does not occur in the game, but can be added with a level editor. No graphics for this object exist; instead the graphics for the flagpole ball are used by default, though with a brown palette instead of green."

Well the object is the one that appear in that BG planning Sheet, the vines from Donkey Kong Jr.

Finally let's see how would that little part of that BG Planning Sheet would look like in Super Mario Bros:

Dec 31, 2010 at 4:33:00 PM
removed04092017 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Bowser >
Other
This was posted on NESDev as little while ago and discuessed, pretty cool stuff, but I personally doubt we'll find any carts of these differences sadly, because they were probably so early in development they didn't let ANY go at all. But cool to know they thought of all this none the less. Mario with a gun? Imagine how that would have turned out!

Jan 1, 2011 at 12:58:35 PM
Enslaved (106)
(Edd Showalter) < Master Higgins >
Florida
That's some pretty cool stuff. I would love to get my hands on a SMB prototype.

Check out this really awesome WTB thread that I found, I heard this guy wants games at the cheapest rate possible!  Now on the look out for Unlicensed NES!

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Jan 1, 2011 at 4:10:09 PM
NintendoTwizer (172)
(Aaron N) < King Solomon >
Wyoming
I am glad to see that it seems like Nintendo still has much of the original concept drawings and designs for SMB1. Which means that someday maybe they'll show more of it to the public. Super Mario 30th Anniversary maybe...

Jan 1, 2011 at 6:51:27 PM
hedgehog2489 (0)
(John Mills) < Cherub >
Florida
Maybe in the 30th anniversary, along with those drawings, they should also release Super Mario 64 E3 Beta or Super Mario Kart R, instead of "Mario All Stars 3DS" or "Super Mario Sunshine Returns".

They should bring fans what they really would love to see, unseen Mario stuff, instead of re-releasing the known Mario games.

I even hope now that a smart Nintendo move would be to launch Zelda 64 Disk Drive Beta version emulated for Wii (using SD card as the DD maybe) with the Release of Zelda Skyward Sword, as a Bonus like Zelda Master Quest for Gamecube (the only unreleased game Nintendo did release years later).

Jan 1, 2011 at 9:19:41 PM
NintendoTwizer (172)
Wyoming
^^ yeah that all sounds great. I really wish they would have done more then just a simple SNES port with the Wii Super Mario All-stars. I mean where was Super Mario World or maybe even Super Mario Land 1 and 2 as an unlockable. Man, Nintendo were such slackers on the Wii version the only thing they did well was the casing/booklet.

Jan 1, 2011 at 9:19:49 PM
NintendoTwizer (172)
Wyoming
Double post

Edited: 01/01/2011 at 09:20 PM by NintendoTwizer

Jan 2, 2011 at 1:15:15 PM
hedgehog2489 (0)
(John Mills) < Cherub >
Florida
Originally posted by: NintendoTwizer

^^ yeah that all sounds great. I really wish they would have done more then just a simple SNES port with the Wii Super Mario All-stars. I mean where was Super Mario World or maybe even Super Mario Land 1 and 2 as an unlockable. Man, Nintendo were such slackers on the Wii version the only thing they did well was the casing/booklet.

That was critiziced at IGN.com, they said Nintendo should had released in this limited edition "Mario All Stars + Super Mario World" instead of the first one, the Sound Track CD isn't enough, there are plenty of Mario music they should had included and the booklet came with fewer information that doesn't show well the impact of Mario games in the gaming world. They gave the game a score of 7.

The review is here: http://wii.ign.com/articles/113/1...

Some of the drawings, however show concepts that didn't appear in the final releases, for example the Super Mario 64 drawings. Anyways, it's fewer info. Nintendo EAD have a gold mine wasting, it's said they have a SMB 64 DD version, a Super Mario 64 2 game featuring some attempted coop mode with luigi and more far, a Mario & Luigi like RPG made for N64.

Why NOA didn't put Super Mario All Stars + Super Mario World in the package? Obvious, they are selling Super Mario World through Virtual Console download so, if you want it, pay and download it.

But I still like the Super Mario All Stars package. It wasn't expensive and I prefer to have games in physical media rather than DRM'd downloads. But indeed, Nintendo was quite lazy with this one, they should gave fans more. My brother says Nintendo wasn't ready for Mario 25th so they made this in a hurry.

Jan 3, 2011 at 12:04:45 PM
NintendoTwizer (172)
Wyoming

Yeah I wouldn't doubt this was more or less a last minute cash in of sorts. Also, it makes sense that they want people to keep buying these games via virtual console on the Wii, and future 3DS and future Wii 2, ect. Who knows maybe they'll spend some time on these games in the future. I just think of the missed opportunities that could have been added. Online leader boards, speed runs ect. The handheld games atleast got some love. Super Mario Bros Deluxe for the GBC is a good example, that game was great, they added point challenges, red coin challenges, hidden yoshi eggs in every SMB1 level. Super Mario Bros 3 GBA version added extra levels, SMB 2 and SMW items, ect.. (all through the e-reader). So I know these versions and extras exist somewhere at Nintendo.

How about a bunch of unlockable art, example would be what is in the Metriod games for Gamecube/Wii also GBA Metriod games. How about just a nice graphical update or a toggle mode between old graphics and new graphics like what they did with TNMT Arcade on X-Box live.

Maybe they should have passed this project onto someone like HAL and they could have game it the Super Smash Bros treatment and really put some love and care into Nintendo's most beloved games.  Hmm... well maybe someday we'll see this stuff... I guess that's enough ranting for one post.  

Edited: 01/03/2011 at 12:06 PM by NintendoTwizer

Jan 3, 2011 at 12:49:31 PM
dr.robbie (175)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri
Originally posted by: hedgehog2489

My brother says Nintendo wasn't ready for Mario 25th so they made this in a hurry.

That's the feeling I got from the game as well. Seemed very much like a last minute type of deal.

Let's Go Penguins!