Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Pal Hero Quest - Music Lags on Screen Transitions with Everdrive N8 Everdrive issue or AVS issue?

May 5, 2018 at 1:44:47 AM
8.bit.fan (1)
< Cherub >
California
Hi Everyone,
Huge fan of the AVS and I actually bought 2. One for the living room and one for the game room!  

Lately, I've been trying to play some hidden NES gems/prototypes, and came across Hero Quest. I want to play the EUR version of this game instead of the US version because it's a more complete and less buggy version.

When I switch my AVS to PAL mode, my Everdrive N8(Famicom version) becomes sluggish in the menu...I'm assuming this is an Everdrive issue? Now, once I start the game Hero Quest PAL, it runs fine. However, the music lags on each screen transition, making the gameplay experience very jarring and becomes more grating the longer I play. Note that this does not happen in the AVS NTSC mode for the game PAL Hero Quest on the Everdrive, but the music is sped up making it even worse.

So I'm just wondering if this is a known issue with certain EUR roms on the AVS PAL mode? Or is this an Everdrive on AVS PAL mode issue? ...and perhaps only with the game Hero Quest PAL?

Any help or insights would be much appreciated!

Thanks!  

8.bit.fan

-------------------------
http://www.8bitfan.info/...

Edited: 05/11/2018 at 11:18 PM by 8.bit.fan

May 10, 2018 at 8:00:49 AM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Music hanging is not a known issue. EUR or not, PAL mode or not.

The issue could be caused by the game itself, or maybe the mapper. How does the game act on a real PAL NES console?

May 11, 2018 at 11:20:47 PM
8.bit.fan (1)
< Cherub >
California
Hi Mog,
Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately, I don't have a PAL NES console to test. But I've done enough testing and research on this issue these past several days to narrow down the issue, and I believe it's a problem with how EDN8 handles PAL games...

I'm getting the game on a repro cart and I can further test things once I receive it.

Cheers!!  

-------------------------
http://www.8bitfan.info/...