Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join
Nov 5, 2007 at 11:41:53 AM
burnambill333 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Nicholas Morgan) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: mb7241

Yeah, this *definitely* won't end well. Especially if antofarabia couldn't get the seller to part with it for a four-figure sum, and it's already up to $918 with 6 1/2 days to go...

Most of the earlier bids are just people doing it for fun, not expecting to win. The serious bids will come later in the auction.

-------------------------
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Edited: 11/05/2007 at 11:42 AM by burnambill333

Nov 5, 2007 at 12:41:53 PM
cromah (0)
(adam hulsey) < Cherub >
United States
Trust me it was hard not to take the 4 figure sum... If anything I was just wondering what it would go for for a historic point of view. I thought on putting it up for a little while but decided that I could put the money to better use.

Nov 5, 2007 at 12:49:42 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: cromah

Trust me it was hard not to take the 4 figure sum... If anything I was just wondering what it would go for for a historic point of view. I thought on putting it up for a little while but decided that I could put the money to better use.

Good luck on your sale. Cool to see you've joined the site.

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:03:08 PM
albailey (55)
(Al Bailey) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
Tempting...

Am I the only one who considers the condition of the label (and this one looks good) to be more important than the condition of the remainder of the cart.

Al

My Gameboy collection  97% complete.          My N64 collection   88% complete

My Gamecube collection  99% complete        My NES collection   97% complete

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:10:33 PM
UncleTusk (234)
(Wilfred Brimley) < King Solomon >
California
That's a lot money for a poop stained game. 

But the games is crappy to begin with and to just be able to find that piece of the puzzle at a discount price, may be worth it to some.  1200 or 1800, i'd rather have the cruddy one, and keep my 600, but if it goes for 1500, i'd say, definetly not worth it.

1200 max.

Only Brave Souls Click on the Tusk

Short and large run boxes, manuals, maps!  Give your Uncle a call!

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:15:23 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: UncleTusk

That's a lot money for a poop stained game. 

But the games is crappy to begin with and to just be able to find that piece of the puzzle at a discount price, may be worth it to some.  1200 or 1800, i'd rather have the cruddy one, and keep my 600, but if it goes for 1500, i'd say, definetly not worth it.

1200 max.

I'll bet you a tuskydollar it goes 1500+

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:19:31 PM
UncleTusk (234)
California
okay, 1 tuskydollar, its a bet. 

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:22:00 PM
mario's left nut (163)
(Poster Nutbag) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana
I'm betting it will go at least $1500, but I also agree with Tusker. Its hard for me to even look at this cart without feeling so bad. Its a shame the cart is pooped on. Good luck to everyone who is bidding on it. Should be fun to see what a damaged copy of this game.

MLN

Do tigers sleep in lily patches, do rhinos run from thunder?

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:25:21 PM
UncleTusk (234)
California
Bronty if you bid 1500 on it i'm calling off the bet and keeping my tuskydollar.

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:27:38 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

Bronty if you bid 1500 on it i'm calling off the bet and keeping my tuskydollar.

I'm not bidding; I wouldn't want to potentially ruin the sale. Good idea though. Say tusky - want to bet $1500 that it will go for more than $1500

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:29:59 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: mario's left nut

I'm betting it will go at least $1500, but I also agree with Tusker. Its hard for me to even look at this cart without feeling so bad. Its a shame the cart is pooped on. Good luck to everyone who is bidding on it. Should be fun to see what a damaged copy of this game.

MLN

I think people are bashing on the condition a bit much. Yeah there's a burn and a faded back label but its not "pooped on" either. The label is clean, there's no writing, no discernable fading. Is it perfect? Of course not, but if you guys want to see a cart that's pooped on, talk to me after lunch

"Mint" is all in the eye of the beholder anyway. Some people say that about anything that doesn't have obvious damage. Some people only use it in reference to like-new 100% complete stuff. Personally I basically never use the term because its asking for trouble. If something was case fresh and factory sealed I might use the term but it should really mean "unimprovable" not "more or less OK." So condition means different things to different people but as some others here have stated I think there is enough demand for this cart in any condition that a small burn and a slightly damaged back label aren't going to matter too much.

Edited: 11/05/2007 at 01:35 PM by Bronty

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:35:05 PM
UncleTusk (234)
California
Hmm, I thought about that bet for maybe 4 minutes and I'm going to have to pass. 1 tuskybuck is too much already. 

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:36:54 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

Hmm, I thought about that bet for maybe 4 minutes and I'm going to have to pass. 1 tuskybuck is too much already. 

It was a joke I was implying that if you wanted in for 1500 I would bet after all in order to get it to 1500+. A $1500 bet on an auction is too rich for my blood also.

Edited: 11/05/2007 at 01:37 PM by Bronty

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:47:02 PM
UncleTusk (234)
California

Trying to pull a fast one on a walrus.  I see. 

you're right the game is pretty nice, minus the "thing," but still, that's pretty irreversible.  I guess you could print a new label on use a nice new cart to make yourself a little more happy about it, but I wouldn't feel comfy doing that, cause i would know it was fake, not the real deal. 

I have tusks you know?

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:49:17 PM
burnambill333 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Nicholas Morgan) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: Bronty

MLN

I think people are bashing on the condition a bit much. Yeah there's a burn and a faded back label but its not "pooped on" either. The label is clean, there's no writing, no discernable fading. Is it perfect? Of course not, but if you guys want to see a cart that's pooped on, talk to me after lunch

"Mint" is all in the eye of the beholder anyway. Some people say that about anything that doesn't have obvious damage. Some people only use it in reference to like-new 100% complete stuff. Personally I basically never use the term because its asking for trouble. If something was case fresh and factory sealed I might use the term but it should really mean "unimprovable" not "more or less OK." So condition means different things to different people but as some others here have stated I think there is enough demand for this cart in any condition that a small burn and a slightly damaged back label aren't going to matter too much.

Not only does it have that obvious burn, but the label itself is not completely clean. Sure it's not torn, but you can see some very noticeable damage towards the top left where it looks like it is starting to peel, and there are various nicks and dings all over it, plus the back is trashed. Of course, you could probably clean it up pretty well, but you can't do anything about the burn or the label starting to peel. If I owned this cart, I'd want a condition upgrade.

That being said I still think it'll fetch 1500+.

-Nick

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:56:15 PM
mario's left nut (163)
Indiana

Thanks Nick.

All I was trying to say was that because this cart is so rare, a potential center-piece of a collection, that I would want it to be in better shape for me to bid on. This cart is beat up and burned - my definition: poopied on.

If someone doesn't mind (and obviously look at the bids people don't), then its cool. I'm not trying to bash the bidders or sellers. I just think its in bad shape and its a shame for such a precious game to be so used up. That being said - 1500$ doesn't seem that far-fetched. I'll wait for the next one to show up in better condition.

MLN

Nov 5, 2007 at 2:04:42 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

Thanks Nick.

All I was trying to say was that because this cart is so rare, a potential center-piece of a collection, that I would want it to be in better shape for me to bid on.

MLN

Don't get me wrong; I think that getting a better one (or maybe buying this one and trying to upgrade later) is smart, I just don't think enough people are going to think that way to affect the price. I could see a lot of people just filling the hole now so that if the price gets any higher they are "insured" and trading up condition wise when the time is right.

Nov 5, 2007 at 2:09:06 PM
mario's left nut (163)
Indiana
I understand. That would be a smart approach, trading for an upgrade. Depends on what it goes for also.

Is it after lunch yet??

I want to see your cart

MLN

Nov 5, 2007 at 2:10:32 PM
Buyatari (14)
(Adam Harvey) < King Solomon >
Ohio
I used to think that the poor condition games were a bad buy and traded /dumped them off asap. I think that was a mistake. It seems that at least for right atleast now condition is not as huge a factor in video games as it is in every other hobby I can think of.

Nov 5, 2007 at 2:27:57 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Originally posted by: Buyatari ... condition is not as huge a factor in video games as it is in every other hobby I can think of.

That may be for carts because they can easily be cleaned. Any stickers can be removed, dirt washed off very easy, dead carts brought back by cleaning the connector, etc. In the case of this Stadium Events cart the back could even be completely replaced without anyone ever knowing unless there is distinct plastics fading. Much harder to wash a baseball card! I would guess the closest to another hobby would be cleaning coins (can be damaging) or swapping covers for comic books?

For boxes/manuals it may be the limited quantity that lets people not care as much about condition. It is expected they will be damaged in some way so most people aren't looking for minty.

Nov 5, 2007 at 2:29:35 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: Buyatari

I used to think that the poor condition games were a bad buy and traded /dumped them off asap. I think that was a mistake. It seems that at least for right atleast now condition is not as huge a factor in video games as it is in every other hobby I can think of.

Well no loose cart is in that great of a condition anyways because its missing parts. You and I both collected comics right, so what's a loose cart the equivalent of? A good/2.0? Doesn't matter too much in comics/other hobbies if you're talking about a good minus or good plus either. They are all worth about the same price wise because at the end of the day none of them are that hot condition wise. So really although I totally agree that the price/grade thing is out of whack in games when it comes to one loose cart or another - I don't think there should be a huge difference.

Edited: 11/05/2007 at 02:50 PM by Bronty

Nov 5, 2007 at 2:37:15 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

Originally posted by: Buyatari
... condition is not as huge a factor in video games as it is in every other hobby I can think of.

That may be for carts because they can easily be cleaned. Any stickers can be removed, dirt washed off very easy, dead carts brought back by cleaning the connector, etc. In the case of this Stadium Events cart the back could even be completely replaced without anyone ever knowing unless there is distinct plastics fading. Much harder to wash a baseball card! I would guess the closest to another hobby would be cleaning coins (can be damaging) or swapping covers for comic books?

You have no idea..... color touch, pressing, infilling, paper replacement, glue, centerfold replacement, deacidification, cleaning in solution, dry cleaning, trimming, swapped (married) covers as you say..... there are some comics out there where the covers are more recreation than original by the time all the work is done. Same sort of crap in the all the other hobbies.

(I'm guessing a baseball card could just as easily be soaked in a cleaning solution that is invisible to the eye once dried, same as comics. Only way to detect is a slight difference in feel of the paper after the procedure).

I don't think it has anything to do carts being easier to clean.... I think its just the mark of a young hobby. People used to think restoration was great in comics too. Now a restored version is worth 25% of the unrestored (or so, depending) for changes that can be invisible to the naked eye.

Moral of the story is leave your stuff the way it is, IMO.

Nov 5, 2007 at 3:02:04 PM
bradley2679 (23)
(Brad Denney) < Meka Chicken >
Florida
In the autograph world, people are removing autographs from baseballs so they will have a single signed baseball.  Might not seem like a big deal but when you get in the older deceased players its big business. 

Nov 5, 2007 at 3:03:51 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: bradley2679

In the autograph world, people are removing autographs from baseballs so they will have a single signed baseball.  Might not seem like a big deal but when you get in the older deceased players its big business. 

And I'm sure a ball that is known as having this procedure done to it is worth less than an original, one-signature example, no?

Nov 5, 2007 at 3:43:41 PM
DreamTR (163)
(Jason Wilson) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
I think people being picky on games that are meant to be handled don't understand the hobby....you take what you can get these days, and the games are just going to get gobbled up by collectors more so these days. In the NES community, there are fewer and fewer "fly by night" collectors that are buying up everything and selling it a few months down the road like Atari 2600 collectors have been doing.

www.gamegalaxyarcade.com...