NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

The official unofficial Anti-VGA thread

Mar 1, 2010 at 12:55:21 AM
OSG (28)
(PEEP and PAMP) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
Originally posted by: jdheins

Why would anyone pay thousands of dollars to go watch a professional sports game, when you can watch it on TV for free?

Because if the stadium isn't sold out it doesn't get televised.

Mar 1, 2010 at 12:57:31 AM
dr.robbie (175)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri
Originally posted by: Vectorman0

Anyway, I spent too long on that when the core issue here is a much bigger one: the VGA and people like rarebucky are simply cancer to this community leeching money off of people who love videogames. (you and me)

absolutely no reason to call out someone in this thread like that. might wanna be a little more considerate before you go get yourself banned here.

-------------------------
Let's Go Penguins!

Mar 1, 2010 at 1:05:39 AM
Elijah (161)
(John (JD) Heins) < Wiz's Mom >
Iowa
Originally posted by: OSG

Why would anyone pay thousands of dollars to go watch a professional sports game, when you can watch it on TV for free?

Well almost, in the HOME market it isn't tellevised, but you can still buy the cable/satellate access for the team and get it anyway.  Or just go to your favorite sports bar.  Either option=much cheaper, and ironically you see more.  Not that I've paid lots of money to go see my favorite teams in their respective stadiums.  I do it all the time.

Anyone else watch the Jet's - Dolphins game at the end of the season which was in a half empty stadium, I saw it on regular brodcast TV, despite not being sold out, mostly do to the crazy weather we've had.

Selling everything.
-------> *Click Here* <--------

God loves everyone

Mar 1, 2010 at 1:50:59 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
I say the VGA has a place, but not in my collection. Here's hoping that it drives down the price of ungraded games to the point it's financially feasible for me to buy them to open for my list

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Mar 1, 2010 at 2:50:11 AM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Definitely should have been an ezine article!  Very well written and laid out.  You could add more ideas from the responses here, some picts of grading results, maybe ebay price stats. Should also have accurate numbers for the cost of getting one or many things graded.  I know there is a discount system which may make the service more worth it for bulk sellers.

Originally posted by: portnoyd

Who are the VGA? Does anyone really know? The VGA was grown out of the CGA, the Collectible Grading Authority, a service for other collectible items, that has existed for at least the past 10 years. Seeing an opportunity to take on an entirely new market, they set their sights on videogames. Clearly, the CGA was not formed around games. 

However for their current offerings that makes no difference.  They grade cardboard and plastic wrap, that is all.  Whether it is a Star Wars toy or a video game or a dead cat inside doesn't affect their ability to spot imperfections in packaging.  And they have 10+ years experience in packaging including what a reseal looks like.

What authority does VGA have over anyone here to rate these games? Can anyone prove that it's just not arbitrary? I have yet to see anyone predict their rating with any accuracy. What makes the difference between a 85 and a 85+? 

Even if people are consistently off by 5 points it is still a far less arbitrary scale than the general collecting public.  80 vs 85 is a much tighter range than my "mint" vs someone elses "mint".  

If a collector here actually started a rating service would it really matter that much?  It is still creating the graded vs non graded split.  Still a human judgement call.  Still impossible to prove its not arbitrary.  Still could let a fake seal get through.  Making it cheaper might only make it more common, bringing the end to the fun times even faster.

And have they ever declined a game for being a fake seal? 

Maybe not for being fake, but they have refused to grade items for example: before: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

What of the conspiracy theory that they open your game up and take the game out or have knowingly or unknowingly graded reseals?

Those aren't just a VGA concern, that is for all sealed games in general.  At least with the VGA they have seen more games than almost all sellers and have consulted/hired the collectors who know the most about legit seals.  Until any of the theories have a tiny bit of evidence they will just be wild guesses.

What should you make of the supporters of VGA? They can be broken down into two categories: profiteer and curator. 

But you forgot about meeeeee!    Other than the homebrews I fabricate I wouldn't consider sending anything to the VGA.  However I would have no problems paying the premium to know a game I am buying from someone else is in great condition instead of gambling on crappy eBay photos.  That is the key.  I want VGA like an escrow for condition.  I would rather buy the $150 "minty so I never buy it again" game than the $50 "who knows what's dented" game.  I don't need the protection aspect, and never plan to sell my games, so the other categories don't fit.  I don't collect sealed so I don't care about the guarantee part.

Those who slab games only to sell them on eBay and other avenues for profit. While there is nothing wrong with doing this, dealing with these people, you have to remember that they are akin to VGA in their goal: make money off of you. 

That describes EVERYONE on eBay, and almost everyone selling anything anywhere.  Sorry anyone who just bought BK, I did make money off of you!  If there is nothing wrong with it, then it isn't a good anti-VGA point.

As I said earlier, there is a divide between sealed and non-sealed collectors. If you take anything away from this, it's that when VGA eventually opens up to CIB/loose cart grading, you say FUCK NO.

The problem then becomes what are the better options for those who really care about CIB/loose condition?  Pay a large premium once for VGA, or pay smaller amount to get a game multiple times until one that is actually mint comes in.  Just ask Frisbee how many black box games he has bought  

There is still the debate (or maybe nobody cares) if grading makes non graded items go down in price.  I would bet nobody is tracking that closely enough to tell but it could be a reason to vote for the VGA.

Mar 1, 2010 at 2:51:49 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
I'm still holding out for the day I can find someone to make a convincing reseal for me so I can get it graded, then videotape me opening it...

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."

Mar 1, 2010 at 3:10:12 AM
Frost271 (20)

< Meka Chicken >
United States
Time to vent...
I really don't like certain resellers in this community either. Not going to mention names, but I've lost a hell of a lot of good deals on great games to someone who buys it just to resell it for three times the price just because i can't afford to spend as much money as they can afford to. I'm glad someone mentioned this but it should have its own thread altogether. I've lost a lot of confidence and respect to a few members I once appreciated on these boards.

I mean seriously, the majority of NES collectors are in this community and were allowing ourselves to get price gauged by our fellow community members and act like its all gravy? Should I let my neighbor screw my wife and than invite him over for a beer on football Sunday? It's disappointing to collectors, such as myself, who can't enjoy a hobby as much as they would like to. I've considered selling off my collection because of this very reason.

Back to the VGA subject. Its a thin line, but grading is looking at a stronger future in this hobby. There is no turning away from this fact. In sealed collecting terms, which is all I collect, VGA is more for legitimacy reasons since resealing techniques are getting better as well as they are simply great to display. I do believe that VGA is charging too much for their service and I do disagree with how they grade games. I've had damaged games grade as well as a mint condition game and that's unacceptable to me. I feel that VGA should release a specific standard rule sheet on what the most major flaws that a certain item would be graded down for at each level. No one is asking for techniques or secrets but something for collectors to refer too on the legitimacy for the grades they are being given. Why should I be able to resend a game to VGA to be re-graded? It should have been graded right the first time. Why would one grader grade an item differently than another? If grader A grades down on certain aspects than grader B should I have grader B regrade my item for a possible higher grade?

One possible solution? A grading report perhaps?  In June I was charged 5$ for a detailed report for graded games (a simple typed up paragraph on the major flaws). This same report is now 15$. Why the hell would that go up in price? Is the paper non-flammable? Does it glow in the dark? Hover off the ground? (The paper does not do any of this.) They are greedy and once they redo their site in the next couple of months, guess what, all prices will go up. No competition = a Monopoly = collectors charged outrageous prices. Until I am given other options, I'm going to have to deal with these facts.  I chose the hobby.  I agree with VGA but I also disagree with it. 

Looking to buy mint condition, factory sealed nes titles!

Edited: 03/01/2010 at 03:18 AM by Frost271

Mar 1, 2010 at 3:22:08 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Frost, I agree with the venting to a degree, but sometimes it's all about forging relationships with people too. If someone considers you a friend, they tend to not want to screw you over (I've had people walk away from eBay auctions because they saw me bidding [back when you could see who was bidding], or give me below-market prices on goods because they're friends. I don't want to gyp them out of fair market value, but they don't want to push items out of my reach either. Give a few deals to people you consider net friends, and they'll do the same back. And if not, don't give them deals in the future The people trying to make money off the hobby are the problem, but they're the ones that lose in the end, because if you aren't passionate about your hobby, then it's just work.

Mar 1, 2010 at 6:05:52 AM
NESMASTER14 (26)
(color dreams) < King Solomon >
Virginia
Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

The people trying to make money off the hobby are the problem, but they're the ones that lose in the end, because if you aren't passionate about your hobby, then it's just work.

agreed.

Great article, portnoyd

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:21:00 AM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: dr.robbie

Anyway, I spent too long on that when the core issue here is a much bigger one: the VGA and people like rarebucky are simply cancer to this community leeching money off of people who love videogames. (you and me)

absolutely no reason to call out someone in this thread like that. might wanna be a little more considerate before you go get yourself banned here.

Yeah, this isn't how we do things here.  If you can't handle it, go back to DP.  This signing up to call people out bullshit won't be happening on these boards.

Mar 1, 2010 at 8:09:38 AM
portnoyd- (39)

(Stephen Colbert) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Originally posted by: BeaglePuss

Also, If I say VGA is great in this thread, would that be considered thread crapping?

Go for it. You say thread crapping, I say an opinion contrary. Anyway, I'm sure some mods would think "Fuck him, he craps on everything in sight (Oh yes, I do!), let that douchebag get some of his own medicine" so go nuts with my blessing.

Just so anyone doesn't think otherwise, I'm not ignoring responses. The time to digest these responses and properly respond is something I don't have today, being out due to snow for the past 4 days. Probably later this evening.

If you PM me, I will tell you to go away, especially if you're trying to mooch my games.

Mar 1, 2010 at 8:12:57 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Awww man I'm going to enjoy this thread but I want to read through it all before making my response. I'll get to it this morning after I have coffee

In a nutshell, the only good thing that VGA provides is an "authority" to examine sealed games and supposedly eliminate reseals. As soon as they let that first reseal pass through their grading criteria (which WILL happen one day if it hasn't already), the entire service will be completely worthless (as if it isn't already).

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Mar 1, 2010 at 8:42:54 AM
Parpunk (172)
(Mark ) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
im not really a vga hater or lover at that. Doesnt matter to me, i just see games as games and not as a product like a baseball card. So grading a game "to me" isnt the same as a baseball card

However someone could argue that games were never produced to be graded as collectors items either. But neither were baseball cards or anything else people get graded. I mean kids used to stick cards in their bikes and just trade them with friends. Games were designed to do something and were made for the sole purpose to play them. Not be to be kept sealed and graded on the condition of the cardboard on the box. I mean there were thousands of game developers sitting for months on end working and designing a video game. It took about 2 seconds for a machine to pop out a mint cardboard box lol. think about that?

Either way these discussions are what makes a forum a forum. i love it!

Shop Retro Video Games, Vinyl, Toys, Comics, and more at https://www.backtothemedia.com/ 
Visit our store in Winchester Virginia! http://www.facebook.com/backtothemedia
NES Games beaten in 2013 - http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&am...
Me getting my first Nintendo in 1990 (for real) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjhKPNV2PbM

Mar 1, 2010 at 8:55:37 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
I don't think you understand how a pyramid scheme operates if you believe that VGA has ANY similarity to one...

Mar 1, 2010 at 8:59:11 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Originally posted by: OSG

Well almost, in the HOME market it isn't tellevised, but you can still buy the cable/satellate access for the team and get it anyway.  Or just go to your favorite sports bar.  Either option=much cheaper, and ironically you see more.  Not that I've paid lots of money to go see my favorite teams in their respective stadiums.  I do it all the time.

Anyone else watch the Jet's - Dolphins game at the end of the season which was in a half empty stadium, I saw it on regular brodcast TV, despite not being sold out, mostly do to the crazy weather we've had.

Yup.  If they don't televise a game nationally, they lose WAY more money in advertising than if they didn't sell out the stadium.

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:26:08 AM
cradelit (21)
(crade lit) < Bowser >
Alberta
I love VGA games... Privateer and xwing are some of my favorites...

GRRR!

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:14:44 AM
rarebucky (178)

(Adam Buchwald) < Ridley Wrangler >
United States

Good post portnoyd.  You didn't really elaborate on the fact that it is just assumed that the VGA is an all-knowing entity when it comes to how every single game was factory sealed.  This is a huge concern, not only for me who clearly hates the VGA, but for those who love it too.  While Nintendo may have had pretty standard sealing practices, do we really know how every game was sealed?  Even if they all were sealed the same way, considering the amount of money some people are putting into sealed games and more recently getting them graded, I don't think faking seals with shrinkwrap worth fractions of cents is going to be too difficult or costly.

This raises major issues because they are slabbing these games as 100% authentic no one is questioning it further.  How long until a resealed game is graded?  I would bet it has already happened.

For those that say, "let people spend their money on this".  Make sure you understand the fact that they are knowingly and intentionally making everything you want more expensive, and [at least trying to] making money in the process.  This is pretty fucked up.

I realize many people like the idea of being able to easily get a mint condition game without taking any risks, I do to.  It's sort of like communism though, in that it's better in theory than practice.  The higher cost isn't worth the benefits of making it a little easier to get a minty game. I would much prefer buying five copies of a game at $50 each in search of a pristine one, than giving $500 to some asshole for one that has a nice condition outer box (and possibly nothing of value inside).

Is the convenience of having games available at a standardized condition really worth the absurd price increase?  Only if you are in this hobby for the money.

Wow, nice one there.  I get flamed in a thread that I have nothing to do with.  Go back to DP.  And thanks for plugging my auctions while you were at it.  I appreciate the free publicity.

Edited: 03/01/2010 at 11:15 AM by rarebucky

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:26:11 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Alright, had a chance to read and digest this thread, so here we go.

1) Grading toys has absolutely nothing to do with video games.

It is easy to determine if a toy is sealed, either the bubble plastic is stuck to the cardboard or not.  Video games are much more complex.  You have H-seamed / non h-seamed on NES, V-seamed / non V-seamed on N64, Y-folds and non Y-folds on PS1, all kinds of different seals on DS, etc.  Go look at your bargain bin at wal-mart for DS games and you'll see so many different seals your head may explode.  Yet when they receive a game that they have never seen before, they automatically know what type of seal it is supposed to have? 

It's not like grading a math test where you look at a rubric and say "two plus two isn't 5, mark it wrong".  It's more like grading an essay where it is so damn subjective that the same game is going to grade differently multiple times, just as the same paper grades differently to each English teacher.

We're paying for "expert" opinions from toy collectors.  Really?

2a) Overpriced lucrative profiteering scam...

So let's charge $25 a game with a horrible return time, or charge $50 a game with a quick around time.  Oh but wait, there's bulk discounts right.  Almost forgot about those.  You'll save a whopping $10 total and reduce your price to $24 per game if you do 10 at once.  Awesome!  Sign up for a stupid monthly or yearly fee and you save a bit more!  Want to know why your MINTY MINT game only got an 85?  Just send us $15 more dollars and we'll give you a sentence or two justification!  Cowabunga! 

They don't give two shits about your product or this hobby, they are there solely to make money. 

2b) .... Which in turn causes sellers to charge more to offset the grading costs

It no secret that some people go and buy commercially available PS3 / current generation games to slab them and resell at a profit.  I'm sure these sellers try and find the best possible ones they can grab, looking for a VGA 100.  Then when it comes back as an 85 what do they do?  They still have to mark up their price, after all, they bought it to resell at a profit.  An 85 on a commercially available game is DIRT COMMON and should be priced roughly the same as a non-graded copy, maybe +$5 for those uber cool bomb-proof cases.  The seller took a gamble (and lost) by paying $25 to get it graded as an 85.  But of course they have to pass off this cost to the consumer.  Because they feel a right to charge more for anything that is graded... mostly because VGA tells you that their games "have higher resale value" as reason #2 for you to buy into their scam.

I could go on all day but that's enough for now.  I personally think that VGA grading is a horrible idea as it severely limits your target audience.  I know several people that "collect sealed" who would never buy a VGA graded game simply because they hate the service and do not think the price is justified.  Collecting has always been about the thrill of the hunt. 

The people who buy slabbed games are like the car enthusiasts who buy cars after they are fully "hooked up".  That's why true car enthusiasts go by the "built not bought" motto, and true collectors acquire their collection slowly over time rather than buying everything they want at VGA 90s and then calling it a day.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:37:27 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: jonebone

Collecting has always been about the thrill of the hunt. 

The people who buy slabbed games are like the car enthusiasts who buy cars after they are fully "hooked up".  That's why true car enthusiasts go by the "built not bought" motto, and true collectors acquire their collection slowly over time rather than buying everything they want at VGA 90s and then calling it a day.

I suspect that acquiring a collection of all 90+ graded games would take just as long as finding things the conventional way.

I just think it's so ridiculous and hilarious that so many people seem to harbor true animosity towards a service that they're never going to pay for, and are virtually unaffected by.

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:39:29 AM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
this thread is great, nice, constructive writing dave. I see no problem here.

On that note, to those calling people out...this is childish at best. To say someone who collects sealed games and/or gets them graded does not love video games is the stupidest statement i've ever heard. Vectorman, please be (at the very least) respectful and a bit more constructive when making such bold statements.

Personally, I think VGA is cool, but I don't use it. I like the idea of being able to protect the condition of my sealed games. Hell i'll never open them and it would be nice to keep them in the condition they are in now.

eBay listings here

Edited: 03/01/2010 at 11:41 AM by qixmaster

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:46:33 AM
Pretendo (0)
(Dallas DeMartini) < Little Mac >
Illinois
I've always thought the VGA was a waste of time and money. Nice to see others agree with me.

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:48:11 AM
qwerty (1)

(A R) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

I suspect that acquiring a collection of all 90+ graded games would take just as long as finding things the conventional way.

I just think it's so ridiculous and hilarious that so many people seem to harbor true animosity towards a service that they're never going to pay for, and are virtually unaffected by.

It affects everyone and anyone who collects sealed games. People who sell graded games on ebay assume they have a right to ask XX times the value of said game then what the same game would be worth ungraded. Other sellers looking to sell their ungraded game automatically ask an absurd price themselves because they see ebay littered with these overpriced VGA games. Thus an artificial inflation in prices is created.

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:53:41 AM
qwerty (1)

(A R) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Oh and asking $15 for a 2 sentence long grading report that should come free with your overpriced submission is just beyond greed and arrogance. That is just fraud.

Edited: 03/01/2010 at 11:54 AM by qwerty

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:57:10 AM
mcetak8 (100)
(-- Kate --) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
Originally posted by: qwerty

Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

It affects everyone and anyone who collects sealed games. People who sell graded games on ebay assume they have a right to ask XX times the value of said game then what the same game would be worth ungraded. Other sellers looking to sell their ungraded game automatically ask an absurd price themselves because they see ebay littered with these overpriced VGA games. Thus an artificial inflation in prices is created.

This is only partly true.  Sure, it's quite possible some uneducated collectors/resellers might see these inflated prices and try to get those prices for their games.  However, any collector/reseller who has any knowledge of the games realizes this isn't the way it works.  For instance, I've had a thread up for some time now with tons of sealed NES games.  My games are in great shape, many probably "gradeable."  But I'm not asking the types of prices people who sell their VGA games are asking.  So, really, it's not like it just 100% ruins the sealed market.

Also, Arch makes a very valid point, and one I've thought to myself all along.  There are TONS of people who weigh in on this topic because they, for some reason, hate VGA.  However, so many of these folks aren't sealed collectors.  VGA has nothing to do with them, yet they rail on and on how they hate it.  Now, I'm not pointing any fingers.  I'm fully sure there are plenty of sealed collectors who have valid reasons for disliking VGA.  That's fine.  But I also think many people weigh in who just hate it to hate it.

One more thing.  I don't care either way about VGA.  It doesn't bother me one way or the other.  But I did enjoy the post by the OP.  It was a good read and agree it would've made a good ezine article.

Mar 1, 2010 at 12:01:13 PM
MoeDown (72)
(big hed) < El Ripper >
United States

1) Grading toys has absolutely nothing to do with video games.

It is easy to determine if a toy is sealed, either the bubble plastic is stuck to the cardboard or not.  Video games are much more complex. 

Oh yes, because there is no such thing as a resealed toy!!!???? It is obvious you have no knowledge of the sealed toy market and this comment shows that.

Video Games are 10 times easier to grade than a toy....