Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2013 Weekly Contest Presents: Terra Cresta Contest ends Sunday, 6/2/13 at 10 PM NA time

Jun 1, 2013 at 10:08:05 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: gutsman004

I think taking these contests too seriously lately was what was keeping my score down. I do want to win,but it's just a competition among friends.

I used to get really frustrated at times myself. It's tough to find that perfect balance between being competitive and pressing too hard. All you can really do is try your best and not worry about the other scores. I wish I could win every week too, but there's legitimate world class competition in these contests so you can't get too down on yourself. Your current score is already very impressive so it's definitely something to take pride in!

-------------------------
2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:36:25 PM
link463 (25)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Kansas

This is the most I can muster. I'm just not that good at vertical shmups.

Thanks for writing. I apologize for the delay in responding to your email during this busy time of year.
In regard to your email, it is great to hear that you have found a copy of Perfect Dark for the Nintendo 64. Perfect dark was a first person shooter game that was released in May of 2000. I personally enjoyed this game a lot during my mid-teen years since it allows for up to four players to play at one time. All the Perfect Dark cartridges were black.

I hope this information is what you are looking for.

-
Response I received from Nintendo customer support when I asked if they knew any thing about a black Perfect Dark cart.

Jun 1, 2013 at 1:07:10 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

I think taking these contests too seriously lately was what was keeping my score down. I do want to win,but it's just a competition among friends.

I used to get really frustrated at times myself. It's tough to find that perfect balance between being competitive and pressing too hard. All you can really do is try your best and not worry about the other scores. I wish I could win every week too, but there's legitimate world class competition in these contests so you can't get too down on yourself. Your current score is already very impressive so it's definitely something to take pride in!

Thank you! I try to put in as much effort into every contest as I can. I have been too hard on myself lately with these and I shouldn't expect to put up elite scores for games I've barely or never played before. (I try though.)

Jun 1, 2013 at 6:40:14 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland
I have a tip: The game does not allow more than 9 lives, so if you manage to get them, die over and over again at a spot with a well-placed atom (with 2 or 3 dinosaurs nearby). It may be troublesome because the game has a minor Gradius syndrome, but you can pull off some solid scores with it.
I'll be updating my first score with one used with the "Atomic dinosaur" technique

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Edited: 06/01/2013 at 06:58 PM by Vectrex28

Jun 1, 2013 at 7:19:18 PM
ookii_risu (66)
(Tonya B) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Vectrex280996

I have a tip: The game does not allow more than 9 lives, so if you manage to get them, die over and over again at a spot with a well-placed atom (with 2 or 3 dinosaurs nearby). It may be troublesome because the game has a minor Gradius syndrome, but you can pull off some solid scores with it.
I'll be updating my first score with one used with the "Atomic dinosaur" technique

Yeah, that was the "infinite loop" type of situation I was mentioning before. Usually this isn't allowed, but I haven't heard anything to the contrary yet. I haven't been doing it and won't be doing it.

Edited: 06/01/2013 at 07:20 PM by ookii_risu

Jun 1, 2013 at 8:25:33 PM
GibbyVA (32)
(NESCAPADES ) < Meka Chicken >
Virginia
Part-Point again this week it seems. I wish I had more time for these atm, esp on shmps  =(

8-Bit Collection (no dupes) -  NES - 1,245 Famicom - 719  Master System - 255
Latest additions - AO, UXO, O-To-X, Rock Paper Scissors, Enigmacore, Cowlitz Gamers Adventure, Journey: The Game, Khan Games 4in1, Legends of Owlia

Jun 1, 2013 at 9:42:59 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: Vectrex280996

For my first score,it was done unintentionally. For my latest score,it was intentional. It seems like when I try it with the dinos I get killed by a stray bullet more often than not. I probably will only get one more chance to play this (tomorrow morning) so I better make it count I guess.

EDIT: And Vec,where is that spot exactly? Somewhere on the 2nd loop? 3rd loop?

Edited: 06/01/2013 at 10:01 PM by gutsman004

Jun 1, 2013 at 10:17:11 PM
treismac (7)
(Travis MacMillan) < Eggplant Wizard >
Georgia
UPDATED: June 2, 2013 @ 2:20pm

Never really played Terra Cresta before.  Kinda fun for a NES shmup, which I don't really care for as a genre, generally speaking, unless Konami makes it.

Edited: 06/02/2013 at 02:21 PM by treismac

Jun 1, 2013 at 10:36:53 PM
rdrunner (35)
(Tom Votava) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina

Does anyone else think this game is a lot like Xevious?

Anyway, I managed to get to the point where the game truly does repeat itself indefinitely.  Not sure how many times I looped the game, but I didn't use the "atomic dino" trick.  Killed the game off with 9 lives in reserve and REALLY sore hands.

Recommendation: Pause every 15 min or so and take a break.  It helps a lot with this game.

Tom Votava
http://rdrunner0077.blogspot.com/

Jun 1, 2013 at 11:28:04 PM
EgasKrad (17)
(AJ ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin

That's it for this week. I never played this game before Monday and only own it since my brother is a shooter fanatic. I suck at shooters but this was still a fun game, for as far as I went at least. Either way, I started participating in the contests so I could find a reason to play different games each week after being in a gaming funk for a while and I've been having fun with this, even if I'm an average gamer at best. So good scores to all again this week.

Also, I agree with Tom, this did remind me of Xevious, mostly dealing with some of the ground enemies and parts of the music too.

Edited: 06/01/2013 at 11:30 PM by EgasKrad

Jun 2, 2013 at 1:49:33 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: rdrunner

Anyway, I managed to get to the point where the game truly does repeat itself indefinitely.  Not sure how many times I looped the game, but I didn't use the "atomic dino" trick.  Killed the game off with 9 lives in reserve and REALLY sore hands.

Recommendation: Pause every 15 min or so and take a break.  It helps a lot with this game.

Holy crap man! I have a question in general. What are you doing different from everyone else? Surely you take some sort of different approach than most or the rest of us to consistently post these amazing scores. Do you map out the areas to memorize where enemies will be,etc?

Edited: 06/02/2013 at 01:50 AM by gutsman004

Jun 2, 2013 at 5:18:24 AM
Vectrex28 (130)
Switzerland

Originally posted by: Vectrex280996

For my first score,it was done unintentionally. For my latest score,it was intentional. It seems like when I try it with the dinos I get killed by a stray bullet more often than not. I probably will only get one more chance to play this (tomorrow morning) so I better make it count I guess. EDIT: And Vec,where is that spot exactly? Somewhere on the 2nd loop? 3rd loop?
I don't remember, but it was late in the game. I started to play without the trick before learning about it. But I believe there are several points in the game where this screen occurs, including one in the 2nd loop

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Edited: 06/02/2013 at 05:32 AM by Vectrex28

Jun 2, 2013 at 7:12:00 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

I don't know how your thumbs aren't completely numb after that run. That's an amazing score!

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Jun 2, 2013 at 11:17:10 AM
hitmantommy (26)
(Thomas R) < Crack Trooper >
Manitoba
Score: 122,100

Two Crude Dudes Podcast- www.tcdpodcast.blogspot.ca  
Twitter- tcdhitmantommy   Instagram- hitmantommy

Edited: 06/02/2013 at 11:17 AM by hitmantommy

Jun 2, 2013 at 11:19:14 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Originally posted by: ookii_risu

Yeah, that was the "infinite loop" type of situation I was mentioning before. Usually this isn't allowed, but I haven't heard anything to the contrary yet. I haven't been doing it and won't be doing it.

It's too late in the week to make it forbidden, plus it wasn't mentioned until late this week, which is typically too late for a rules change as well.  The next time the game is played, this infinite loop will be made forbidden, but since we discovered it so late in the week, I'm not going to throw out any scores.  If I were to make it forbidden right now, I would have to throw out every score in excess of 200,000 because I don't know if the loop was used or not and I don't want to throw out nearly every score that was achieved this week.  Since I didn't make it forbidden because I didn't know about it until just the other day when it was too late to make a rules change, it isn't considered cheating.  We learn new things about games all the time, and when we do, we alter the rules the next time the game is played.  If we catch certain glitches or unfair point racking strategies early enough in the week, we will change the rules to make them forbidden.

EDIT

And what I mean by it isn't considered cheating is that it didn't break any of the rules I set forth this week.  Yes, it can be considered an unfair point racking strategy, but if it isn't forbidden, then everyone can use it.  Sure, not everyone is going to want to use it because they want to take the time to play the game and see how far they can get and achieve their score that way.  But be warned that since this loop is now common knowledge, people will be using it.  Again, if this loop had been brought to my knowledge beforehand, I would have made it forbidden.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 06/02/2013 at 11:29 AM by bimmy_lee

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:37:50 PM
rdrunner (35)
(Tom Votava) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina

Holy crap man! I have a question in general. What are you doing different from everyone else? Surely you take some sort of different approach than most or the rest of us to consistently post these amazing scores. Do you map out the areas to memorize where enemies will be,etc?
Not really sure what I do differently.  I had never played Terra Cresta before this week.  I can tell you my approach to this week if that helps...

I started out on GameFAQs.  I read everything that has been documented about the game.  I also googled the game to see if any web sites have anything interesting posted about them.  I stumbled upon a nice YouTube video where someone played through two loops.  Good stuff there.

Next, it was practice time.  To do this efficiently, I usually use a Game Genie, but since I don't own the game, I used save states.  I don't like to waste time playing through the easy levels only to fail at the place I'm stuck on.  Doing this lets me work on the hardest parts of the game with as many reps as possible.

Finally, I ditch the cheating devices and start playing.  I had a few lousy games before I discovered the "atomic dino" trick.  That got me my first 400k.  I tried another game with the trick and came up with 900k, but that was mostly luck.  I spent almost the whole game with a small number of lives.  Finally, I realized that I could do better by ignoring the trick and just playing the game straight.  First run after I decided to do that, I got the 2 million.

So there you have it.  Hope this helps!

Tom Votava
http://rdrunner0077.blogspot.com/

Jun 2, 2013 at 3:39:30 PM
ookii_risu (66)
Pennsylvania
Ha! Not saying you wouldn't kick my ass anyway, Tom, but it's because of things like that that I wish the contest were only one night a week and a couple of hours, tops.

Jun 2, 2013 at 3:52:18 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

It's too late in the week to make it forbidden, plus it wasn't mentioned until late this week, which is typically too late for a rules change as well.  The next time the game is played, this infinite loop will be made forbidden, but since we discovered it so late in the week, I'm not going to throw out any scores.  If I were to make it forbidden right now, I would have to throw out every score in excess of 200,000 because I don't know if the loop was used or not and I don't want to throw out nearly every score that was achieved this week.  Since I didn't make it forbidden because I didn't know about it until just the other day when it was too late to make a rules change, it isn't considered cheating.  We learn new things about games all the time, and when we do, we alter the rules the next time the game is played.  If we catch certain glitches or unfair point racking strategies early enough in the week, we will change the rules to make them forbidden.

EDIT

And what I mean by it isn't considered cheating is that it didn't break any of the rules I set forth this week.  Yes, it can be considered an unfair point racking strategy, but if it isn't forbidden, then everyone can use it.  Sure, not everyone is going to want to use it because they want to take the time to play the game and see how far they can get and achieve their score that way.  But be warned that since this loop is now common knowledge, people will be using it.  Again, if this loop had been brought to my knowledge beforehand, I would have made it forbidden.
I just want to say that I approve 100% Bimmy's evaluation of the situation.

I'd simply add that for this game in particular, the problem was not because of one spot in the game, but many. You could simply lose some lives at one of these spots and either intentionally or non-intentionally boost your score by profiting from a well placed bomb explosion. For this very reason, it was tricky to forbid the abuse from these spots while using all our lives. Ironically, the rule that would completely solve this problem would have been the 1-life rule

Edited: 06/02/2013 at 03:52 PM by guillavoie

Jun 2, 2013 at 4:12:25 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec

Not really sure what I do differently.  I had never played Terra Cresta before this week.  I can tell you my approach to this week if that helps...

I started out on GameFAQs.  I read everything that has been documented about the game.  I also googled the game to see if any web sites have anything interesting posted about them.  I stumbled upon a nice YouTube video where someone played through two loops.  Good stuff there.

Next, it was practice time.  To do this efficiently, I usually use a Game Genie, but since I don't own the game, I used save states.  I don't like to waste time playing through the easy levels only to fail at the place I'm stuck on.  Doing this lets me work on the hardest parts of the game with as many reps as possible.

I personally think that anyone that would like to improve radically their game in a single week should take good note of Tom's tips. First step is always getting the useful information, faqs + video.

Saves states are probably the best tool available for practicing. Don't hesitate to use them for this purpose, this will help you mastering the details in a game that gives you the most difficulty. I would simply add there to be careful about how you manage your play time during the week. Be realistic about where you think you can get legitely in the game in one week. You could lose a lot of times practicing the harder levels that you might never get to. Also, it is important to practice the whole run in advance, cause there's always an extra challenge in getting further in a game for the first time. You may get nervous and do stupid errors, but when you achieved to get that far in the game regularly, your play will be much smoother.

Jun 2, 2013 at 4:29:34 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec

Shamelessly, I did this score using one of the most awkward bonus I found in a video game. I'll explain the details later

On a side note, enjoy that last score of mine made on this cathodic Television. The girl insisted on buying a new TV for the basement, and now I'm forced to end the glorious days of that old faithful TV

Edited: 06/02/2013 at 04:37 PM by guillavoie

Jun 2, 2013 at 4:44:22 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
Switzerland
Originally posted by: guillavoie

Shamelessly, I did this score using one of the most awkward bonus I found in a video game. I'll explain the details later

On a side note, enjoy that last score of mine made on this cathodic Television. The girl insisted on buying a new TV for the basement, and now I'm forced to end the glorious days of that old faithful TV
You mean you haven't done the "Atomic Dino" trick?!

Jun 2, 2013 at 4:54:44 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
No ''Atomic Dino'' trick on this, but my trick is somewhat similar, with a strange twist

Jun 2, 2013 at 4:57:10 PM
ookii_risu (66)
Pennsylvania
Well, looks like nothing's going to be done about exploiting glitches this week, but I think that ALL future contests should have a disclaimer in the rules that states that any exploitation of glitches, point-racking, and infinite life loops is forbidden.

Personally, I felt that this would go without saying, but apparently it needs to be listed in the rules for every game.

Jun 2, 2013 at 5:01:08 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec

Well, looks like nothing's going to be done about exploiting glitches this week, but I think that ALL future contests should have a disclaimer in the rules that states that any exploitation of glitches, point-racking, and infinite life loops is forbidden.

Personally, I felt that this would go without saying, but apparently it needs to be listed in the rules for every game.
It was much more complicate than that, cause you could profit from a spot non-intentionally. Losing lives there was helping you out, but losing them elsewhere not. The whole contest wasn't making much sense without the 1-life rule this week.

Gotta start realizing that this rule is our best friend sometimes.

Jun 2, 2013 at 5:33:21 PM
ookii_risu (66)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: guillavoie

It was much more complicate than that, cause you could profit from a spot non-intentionally. Losing lives there was helping you out, but losing them elsewhere not. The whole contest wasn't making much sense without the 1-life rule this week.

Gotta start realizing that this rule is our best friend sometimes.

I do see your point, Guil. I checked the previous Terra Cresta contest and saw that there was a one-life rule in place. I realize that a one-life rule is best for this game going forward.

However, I feel that a disclaimer on exploiting glitches and so on is necessary to keep people honest in cases when they are unknown. Unintentional point-racking is unavoidable in many games, so we have no choice but to rely on the honor system.