Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Odd Xexyz cartridge that I found today

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:35:34 PM
ASmalltownHero (33)
(Brian ) < Eggplant Wizard >
North Carolina
So, I was rummaging through the local Goodwill store today and found this odd Xexyz cartridge lying there which I bought. I noticed a few things right off the bat that were odd:

- It has a reprint of the front label, upside-down.
- The back has a MicroDen corporate sticker.

Moreover...

- The cart is fairly heavy
- It uses a philips head screwdriver to open the cart instead of the security bit. 

My brother has a copy of Xexyz which is about the normal weight and uses the security bit to open it up.
I popped it open and the circuit board is huge! Most games are much smaller, some of the larger games with more data such as RPGs are usually bigger but this one is just large.

I have attached some pictures so that hopefully someone can weigh in on whats going on with this cart.

I dont have a solid NES to put it in as im at a friend's house, and his system is wonky, but from what I saw from boot up, nothing too strange is going on. I will pop it in later in my system to see what I can find in the actual game itself.

Thanks, guys.

Edited: 02/20/2013 at 08:08 PM by ASmalltownHero

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:38:39 PM
scruffychicken (59)
(Matt McIlvenna) < Meka Chicken >
South Dakota
Pics aren't showing

It sounds like a possible prototype, but I don't think they typically have labels with art on them... usually just some text on a plain white label.

-------------------------
NESConnection.com
R.I.P Dream
reddit.com/r/retrogamingmusic

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:39:59 PM
ASmalltownHero (33)
North Carolina
The pics should be up there now.

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:41:47 PM
Shinju (53)
(Nintendo Collector) < Ridley Wrangler >
Washington
Image are still not showing, try using the sites My Photobucket to up load them.

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:42:30 PM
T3rra (85)
(Terra ) < King Solomon >
Washington
Yep, Proto. Nice find.

(images are showing for me)

Edited: 02/20/2013 at 05:42 PM by T3rra

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:43:00 PM
ASmalltownHero (33)
North Carolina
They are showing for me, let me use photobucket to get them to where you guys can see it.

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:43:31 PM
daillest (225)
(Joe ) < Lolo Lord >
Pennsylvania

My Wanted to Buy/Trade Thread
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...

My Ebay Listings
http://www.ebay.com/sch/daillest/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&a...

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:44:48 PM
daillest (225)
(Joe ) < Lolo Lord >
Pennsylvania
You should ad a picture of the other side of the board to confirm

My Ebay Listings

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:45:11 PM
ASmalltownHero (33)
North Carolina
Okay ill take one right fast.

Scratch that, the pics that you posted for me showcase both sides.

Edited: 02/20/2013 at 05:46 PM by ASmalltownHero

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:49:11 PM
daillest (225)
(Joe ) < Lolo Lord >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: ASmalltownHero

Okay ill take one right fast.

Scratch that, the pics that you posted for me showcase both sides.

I see needed to scroll right. Yep it is a proto

My Ebay Listings

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:52:41 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Very clearly a proto, nicely done. If you're selling, I'm interested

Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:55:02 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
^ Sell it to this guy

Got any of these for sale? Sell them to me. I also buy other NES Publisher inserts, and even GB/GBC, and SNES inserts too.

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:55:18 PM
Elijah (161)
(John (JD) Heins) < Wiz's Mom >
Iowa
Nice find!

Selling everything.
-------> *Click Here* <--------

God loves everyone

Feb 20, 2013 at 6:27:23 PM
WickedWonka (97)
(Mike D) < El Ripper >
Texas
Love me some Hudson Soft! Very nice find!

Feb 20, 2013 at 6:40:16 PM
BigJohn82 (95)
(John Christmann) < Eggplant Wizard >
California
Sweet find!

NES Collection: Licensed -SE Cart Set Complete!!!
732 Games (676 Licensed, 56 Unlicensed)

Most Wanted: Mega Man 1 Manual and Empty NES Boxes.

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:47:41 PM
LowBudgetGamer85 (1)
(Christopher Parker) < Cherub >
United States
I'm the guy with the "wonky" NES LOL. Don't hate! It works.

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:49:49 PM
LowBudgetGamer85 (1)
(Christopher Parker) < Cherub >
United States
However, at boot up the game did not seem to want to play. We didn't mess with it too much, as we were on our way out the door, so this could be because of my "wonky" NES, but who knows. I would suggest trying to play it in either the top loader or FC Twin. Since it is a prototype, I'd be curious to know if the FC Twin will even boot it.

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:56:37 PM
ASmalltownHero (33)
North Carolina
LowBudgetGamer85 is my friend Chris, and hes the only one whos seen the cart in person since I found it.

I popped into my FC Twin and it booted up like a charm, but I dont notice any gameplay differences as of yet.

I realize that some of these protos dont have any notable differences, but sometimes you have to play for a while to notice any if any changes have been made.

If anyone else wants to weigh in then youre more than welcome!

EDIT: The images have been added from a photobucket account, so they should be entirely visible to everyone.

Edited: 02/20/2013 at 08:07 PM by ASmalltownHero

Feb 20, 2013 at 8:45:32 PM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
Neat proto, I like the upside-down label. Good find!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:38:35 AM
fdisk (1)

(Eric Mathison) < Eggplant Wizard >
Arizona
who ever gets it should rip the rom so it can be compared to the retail

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:50:34 AM
cbrown0806 (27)
(charlie brown) < Meka Chicken >
United States
That game is awesome, first off. I love it. May I ask if you have played it through, or someone has? I wouldn't doubt it has extra levels, and or different difficulties of bosses. Can you save when you game over? Just some thoughts, it is an overlooked game. Great find for you

my For sale and For trade list http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&...

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:52:56 AM
ASmalltownHero (33)
North Carolina
I played through it a little last night, but I have not played the retail version, much less all the way through either one, so I cant compare much. Since I got it, Ive essentially been the only one to have played it and I didnt notice a save feature, though I could check.

Aug 25, 2014 at 1:52:04 PM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
When Blockbuster Video started getting rid of all their old console games for $1 or $0.50 or something (BOGO, IIRC), I bought hundreds of NES and Genesis games. I always knew something was weird about my copy of Xexyz and suspected that it could be a prototype, but I never even bothered to remove the shrink-wrap, labels, and price tag BBV put on it...

...until today. I think that was over 10 years ago! I know I found the receipts a few weeks ago but I think I threw them out without looking at the dates.

Anyway, all those years I was skeptical of it being a proto for the same reason: The photocopied label. It looked like a photocopy of full-color retail/final label art, which would usually require a time machine to have on a prototype, so I assumed that it was a rental or something with a damaged label that someome tried to restore, especially since most protos have handwriting or no label. Did I mention that it was missing the left third of the label art? It's missing. It looked like a perfectly straight cut leaving only "XEX" and part of the "Y." You could see old dried adhesive where the rest of the label once was, though I assumed it was more likely from the original retail label since I was still skeptical of it being a prototype. I thought the extra weight was from the wrap and labels BBV had stuck all over it over the years (multiple layers!). I now realize that the label was like that because the individual stickers on the label paper they used were smaller than the game pak's label area. They likely printed beyond the individual labels on the label sheet and used a guillotine to cut the backing off with pieces of multiple label stickers together. They applied them together as a full label, though they did it upside-down. The left side eventually peeled off when the adhesive degraded.

I began to suspect it was a proto anyway several years ago and wanted to check but I was living out of state and I had it in storage with the rest of the collection. I came back a few years ago and dug it out but I didn't want to check or even remove the BBV shrink-wrap until I was ready to record my effort. I didn't find the time and motivation until today. I am actually somewhat disappointed to see that mine is not the only one known to exist but, hey, congrats to you too, man.

Mine had the same label on the back but I didn't notice because it was under a "This (Nintendo) Game Pak Belongs To:" sticker with a picture of Mario which the previous owner had slapped on over the MicroDen label without even filling it out. It was bigger than the MicroDen Corporation label but smaller than the gray "Do not clean with alcohol, benzene, thinner or such solvents" label that was supposed to be sticking out the sides. When I noticed that the gray label was missing I looked closer and saw that there was another even smaller label underneath, which turned out to be the MicroDen label. My MicroDen label had an additional address and phone number hand-written in the blank space around the MicroDen information: Bill Scott, 220 Emily Dr, Lilburn, GA 30247 and a local 404-925-8899 (local). It seems that MicroDen was a graphic design business and I believe they were involved in making the artwork. I wonder if this other guy was a game reviewer or something who they passed the prototype on to.

When I took it apart I immediately noticed the large PCB with an unpopulated hole for an SRAM battery. Flipping it over, I immediately noticed the EPROMs with stickers covering the UV erasure windows with handwriting on it ("Xexyz CHR" and "Xexyz PRG"). Inspecting closer, I saw NES SKEPROM-01 on the PCB, which the Bootlord DB has associated with many other protos:
http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/se...

I played it a bit to see if there were any obvious differences. There is no debug menu or version number or anything suspicious, but I did encounter glitches from the very start. I do not know if these glitches were fixed in the final version. For example, the ghost did not appear first time I entered the second door with the treasure chests. I had to exit and re-enter. It started over and it did it again the next time (ghost appeared when I left and re-entered). When I entered the third door for the first weapon (Ball-something), I got the message saying that I received it but when I left I still had my normal weapon. I would receive the Ball weapon after entering a second time. This also happened more than once. Now, I was using an NES Advantage joystick with turbo functions turned on so I may have triggered a glitch by pressing buttons really fast in an effort to hurry up and test things, but I've actually seen people recommend a turbo controller for this game. The were no graphical glitches so I did not try cleaning the game or testing more thoroughly.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36716461/Xexyz%20Proto.jpg

The attached image is much lower resolution than the one linked above.

Edited: 08/26/2014 at 01:23 AM by CZroe

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:27:59 PM
Pendragonx (5)
(Evan ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Massachusetts
epic find.. of a great game, too! Would be very interested to hear if any differences are discovered!

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:33:48 PM
BL4CKV4LOR (4)
(Rick M) < Eggplant Wizard >
British Columbia
Wow what an awesome story and first post!
Congrats to op and CZroe, and welcome to NA