Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

My Zelda Proto on eBay Discuss

Jul 26, 2012 at 4:44:39 PM
RetroSauce (176)
(Andrew Sauce) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana
Originally posted by: MrMark0673

Originally posted by: Pat the NES Punk

Minus, do you think you are being a bit disingenuous with the auction description?

Did you forget that since the Japanese version came out at least a year before it did in the US, that that is why there are no real differences between this "proto" and the finished US version, since the game was already finished? When the FDS version was ported over to the NES, there were few changes made outside of the sound (which of course was different on the FDS). You're really finessing the facts here when you say that this "one prototype that started the launch of a generation of gamers." Super Mario Bros. launched this new generation of gamers you speak of, not The Legend of Zelda, although that did assist. But if you really want to split hairs, this is a "more important item in video game collecting" than what you are offering: http://forums.lostlevels.org/viewtopic.php?t=2471

You're reading too much into his description.  It's clear to any serious buyer what exactly is for sale and what significance it holds as far as the history of gaming is concerned.

He states that, in his opinion, this is the most impressive item in video game collecting.  I tend to agree with him.
Eh I don't know. I would agree with Pat. Obviously we are arguing a matter of opinion so it's all subjective. But I really don't see how a proto that is identical to the originally release is really that important. Especially considering the game was already finished in Japan. Not to take anything away from Minus World's auction, it's still a cool item. Just not that amazin IMO

Jul 26, 2012 at 4:46:41 PM
RetroSauce (176)
Indiana
Originally posted by: MinusWorlds

Retrosauce offered me $100 with this note

"In addition to paying 100 dollars, I will also included your choice of two cheeseburgers, a factory sealed players choice F-zero, or a bag of old tracking numbers (from USPS). Thanks for considering!"

My counter was $149,999.99 with the note:

"What do you think the F-Zero would grade? How many numbers are we talking here?  Cheddar cheese? I need specifics..."
I guess I can just post here. But the F-zero would probably grade at an 65+ to 70. I have probably around 30 tracking numbers. All in great condition. And the cheeseburger does not come with chedder. Thanks

Jul 26, 2012 at 4:48:34 PM
VGS_MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: RetroSauce

Minus, do you think you are being a bit disingenuous with the auction description?

Did you forget that since the Japanese version came out at least a year before it did in the US, that that is why there are no real differences between this "proto" and the finished US version, since the game was already finished? When the FDS version was ported over to the NES, there were few changes made outside of the sound (which of course was different on the FDS). You're really finessing the facts here when you say that this "one prototype that started the launch of a generation of gamers." Super Mario Bros. launched this new generation of gamers you speak of, not The Legend of Zelda, although that did assist. But if you really want to split hairs, this is a "more important item in video game collecting" than what you are offering: http://forums.lostlevels.org/viewtopic.php?t=2471

You're reading too much into his description.  It's clear to any serious buyer what exactly is for sale and what significance it holds as far as the history of gaming is concerned.

He states that, in his opinion, this is the most impressive item in video game collecting.  I tend to agree with him.
Eh I don't know. I would agree with Pat. Obviously we are arguing a matter of opinion so it's all subjective. But I really don't see how a proto that is identical to the originally release is really that important. Especially considering the game was already finished in Japan. Not to take anything away from Minus World's auction, it's still a cool item. Just not that amazin IMO

Agree with Pat that the auction appears to be intententionally misleading, or that this wouldn't be your top be-all end-all choice for importance in gaming collecting?

Disagreeing that this is the pinnacle of collecting is rational, it's all opinion.  Calling Tom out for being disingenuous based on what he clearly claims is his personal opinion is silly.

-------------------------

Jul 26, 2012 at 4:50:02 PM
RetroSauce (176)
Indiana

Agree with Pat that the auction appears to be intententionally misleading, or that this wouldn't be your top be-all end-all choice for importance in gaming collecting?

Disagreeing that this is the pinnacle of collecting is rational, it's all opinion.  Calling Tom out for being disingenuous based on what he clearly claims is his personal opinion is silly.

The latter. The listing is fine. 

Jul 26, 2012 at 5:13:01 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
(Fudge Tastic) < King Solomon >
U.S. Virgin Islands
I have no problem with anyone calling me out. Whether it's to discuss authenticity (which I know is not going to happen on NA) or listing actions. I just hope those doing it also called out the terd that listed a watch/game as the "Holy Grail" of collecting and got 50K for it too. I think the fact that we can argue whether or not this is the pinnacle of collecting speaks volumes about the item.

As for me being intentionally misleading, those that know me here would laugh at that, as do I

Jul 26, 2012 at 5:13:43 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands

Retrosauce offered me $100 with this note

"In addition to paying 100 dollars, I will also included your choice of two cheeseburgers, a factory sealed players choice F-zero, or a bag of old tracking numbers (from USPS). Thanks for considering!"

My counter was $149,999.99 with the note:

"What do you think the F-Zero would grade? How many numbers are we talking here?  Cheddar cheese? I need specifics..."
I guess I can just post here. But the F-zero would probably grade at an 65+ to 70. I have probably around 30 tracking numbers. All in great condition. And the cheeseburger does not come with chedder. Thanks

Fuck that's tempting...

Jul 26, 2012 at 9:18:37 PM
Enternal (19)
(Edge Geraldine) < El Ripper >
Florida
I feel that anyone willing to spend that much, will know its place in gaming history. This isn't like listing final fantasy one on eBay and calling it rare. IMO that game just like the nwc is all about what it symbolizes. And at that point its often opinion base, value aside I prefer a nwc grey over gold

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:05:06 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
K.Thrower (120)
(Kenny Boy) < Master Higgins >
Colorado
Wait, so for only $253K I can have the Zelda proto AND a GT-R??? You're a dream weaver Tom

Ready for adventure!
www.watagames.com...

Jul 27, 2012 at 9:27:35 AM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands
Originally posted by: K.Thrower

Wait, so for only $253K I can have the Zelda proto AND a GT-R??? You're a dream weaver Tom
Hey you forgot the oval seal Zelda 85!

Jul 27, 2012 at 10:13:11 AM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands
Shocking find here...

From gamesniped.

portnoyd -

"That seller is a grade A moron. Truly a fool and his money type."

Me -

"portnoyd - I'd rather not go round 2 with you but quit with the personal attacks. I'm a fool and a moron because I'm asking a lot for an incredibly rare item?  It has a best offer option sorry but I don't take pics of poop as payment so it looks like you're out of the running..."

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:02:10 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

Shocking find here...

From gamesniped.

portnoyd -

"That seller is a grade A moron. Truly a fool and his money type."

Me -

"portnoyd - I'd rather not go round 2 with you but quit with the personal attacks. I'm a fool and a moron because I'm asking a lot for an incredibly rare item?  It has a best offer option sorry but I don't take pics of poop as payment so it looks like you're out of the running..."

Don't feel bad, it looks like I earned a thread over there too and I've never even heard of that site before: http://www.gamesniped.com/2012/07...

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:03:23 AM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands
Oh I don't there is history between portnoyd and myself. He defended the guy who scammed me from 13K. That says enough about that.

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:05:15 AM
removed04092017 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Bowser >
Other
Can I buy in bulk? Hahaha.

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:10:30 AM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
I like how one dude goes for broke and calls Port fat and childless right out of the gate.

Edited: 07/27/2012 at 11:10 AM by BeaglePuss

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:18:29 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

Oh I don't there is history between portnoyd and myself. He defended the guy who scammed me from 13K. That says enough about that.

I'm amused that someone apparently saw my graded NWC cart that I posted over here in the show your VGA games thread and actually bothered to post on that site just to complain about its existence. Even worse, it had 17 replies. Seems like some people have way too much time on their hands.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:26:21 AM
ProgrammingAce (2)

(Programming Ace) < Crack Trooper >
United States
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug
Seems like some people have way too much time on their hands.

From and including: Sunday, December 4, 2011
To, but not including : Friday, July 27, 2012

It is 236 days from the start date to the end date, but not including the end date

Or 7 months, 23 days excluding the end date

1659 / 236 = 7.0

Yes, some people do have way too much time on their hands...

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:51:59 AM
VGS_MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Y'all just got vbent son! Seriously Ace, let's not start something up here. Port posted a negative comment, Tom responded. It's not a big deal.

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:03:12 PM
ProgrammingAce (2)

(Programming Ace) < Crack Trooper >
United States
Fair. I just thought the comment was funny, all things considered. I don't think anyone who collects video games can really get away with complaining about "people with too much time on their hands".

That, and I have too much time on my hands...

Edited: 07/27/2012 at 12:04 PM by ProgrammingAce

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:24:22 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands
I agree it was pretty funny.

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:31:52 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Look at my post count if you want to make a joke about having too much time on your hands. Then realize at least 80% of my posting is on-the-clock at work. Love my job

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:32:02 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
i have too much time in ONE hand... yakayakayaka.

btw Tom, 25k is a pretty generous offer, but that's just my opinion. Like you, I wouldn't sell for that though, but that's because i collect prototypes

eBay listings here

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:32:49 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
Originally posted by: jonebone

Look at my post count if you want to make a joke about having too much time on your hands. Then realize at least 80% of my posting is on-the-clock at work. Love my job

+1

eBay listings here

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:37:34 PM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States
Originally posted by: qixmaster

i have too much time in ONE hand... yakayakayaka.

btw Tom, 25k is a pretty generous offer, but that's just my opinion. Like you, I wouldn't sell for that though, but that's because i collect prototypes

+1
I'm a seller at the 25k mark for this item.

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:44:48 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands
I understand where you guys are coming from, but it means a lot more than that to me...just like jone's Contra Gold means more to him that what most would consider a solid offer.

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:53:12 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland

I understand where you guys are coming from, but it means a lot more than that to me...just like jone's Contra Gold means more to him that what most would consider a solid offer.
True... but it's also important to remember many offers, especially of that magnitude, are time sensitive.  If it's not accepted in a reasonable timeframe, then it may not still be there should you change your mind.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Edited: 07/27/2012 at 12:53 PM by jonebone