Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Famicom Strider Thread + info on the repro hack

Apr 9, 2014 at 1:43:21 AM
kazblox (0)

< Tourian Tourist >

Just to know, the surfaced Titan Warriors/Neo Vulgus prototype has the same character font as Commando, which is also the same as the Strider Prototype... Which traces to the point that the font was 3 years old at the time being. Not much, but minorly interesting.

Apr 12, 2014 at 12:47:53 AM
Arasoi (2)

(R M) < Tourian Tourist >
Oregon
The cart arrived today. Here is some footage I recorded to share:

-------------------------

Apr 12, 2014 at 1:58:55 AM
CD2193 (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Texas
Congrats!

Nice channel, by the way.

Apr 12, 2014 at 2:22:19 AM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
Why is this a big deal? Someone explain please.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Apr 12, 2014 at 3:01:26 AM
CD2193 (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Texas
Originally posted by: Lincoln

The Famicom version of Strider was never released and only exists in prototype form. Apparently, it has yet to be dumped.

Apr 14, 2014 at 3:39:38 AM
ForzaBot (0)

< Tourian Tourist >

I guess since it is "unreleased" I dont think theres a single difference in gameplay however, only Japanese text. Wasnt this originally made for the US market to begin with, THEN taken and ported for Japanese consumption which was inevitably canned? that leads me to believe theres probably no changes to gameplay or design other than the text. Please, somebody correct me if Im wrong....cause Id love to be wrong. Im a big fan and if theres major differences that would be awesome.

Apr 14, 2014 at 6:12:43 AM
Eteponge (0)

< Cherub >
Originally posted by: ForzaBot

I guess since it is "unreleased" I dont think theres a single difference in gameplay however, only Japanese text. Wasnt this originally made for the US market to begin with, THEN taken and ported for Japanese consumption which was inevitably canned? that leads me to believe theres probably no changes to gameplay or design other than the text. Please, somebody correct me if Im wrong....cause Id love to be wrong. Im a big fan and if theres major differences that would be awesome.
I noticed some differences. In the beginning of stage one, there are no thunderbolt graphics flashing in the sky and no lightning screen flashing. Also, the main character starts with less HP, and all enemies seem to take more hits to kill. The guy at the end of the video clip was standing in a different spot, and it only shown simple text instead of cutting to a different screen to display the text.

Edited: 04/14/2014 at 06:15 AM by Eteponge

Apr 14, 2014 at 6:22:32 AM
Arasoi (2)

Oregon
It was not created for the US market. There is a bit of history involved with it, I'll try to give the executive version here:

Strider was a multi pronged multimedia franchise created by Capcom and the manga group Moto Kikaku in 1988. There was a manga, a famicom game, and an arcade game. The arcade game strayed heavily from the manga source material decided on by Moto Kikaku, while the Famicom game in development stuck to it quite closely by comparison. The Famicom game for whatever reason was canned, and never released.

The NES port was rushed, shoddy, and had a rather poor translation from what I am finding out. This prototype is a year earlier in development and has a good bit more vestigial game ideas in it. The Japanese text in the intro is not the names of the characters like the US one, but actually lyrics to a vocal version of the intro song released on a promo cassette tape in Japan.

Gameplay differences will be somewhat minor, but from my playing the cart I can say I already have found a few interesting level design differences such as the breakable blocks in the Kazakh stage, and the slope instead of a wall after getting Disk 1.

I'll also take this opportunity to say what my intentions are clearly with this prototype and what I want to offer on a reproduction run.

"This just looks like a version with Japanese text, why would this be interesting to get on a cart?"

That is not what I will be offering. I will be offering a re-translated, bug fixed game that is not only more accurate to the manga source material but actually more fun to play and enjoyable than the FC OR the NES version. Both versions are flawed in many ways.

I want to offer something far better than that 72 pin Strider cart at your local game shop. I am working with the Strider Citadel and others to make this a worthy release.

This project isn't Monster Party on Famicom, it's a restoration and improvement of a lost part of Strider history that everyone can enjoy in English accurate to source material, and will actually be a lot more fun to play.

I appreciate all the comments from folks here on NA, I take them seriously and I am open to any more suggestions on how to make this a reproduction that people can get behind. 

Edited: 04/14/2014 at 06:24 AM by Arasoi

Apr 14, 2014 at 11:11:04 AM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
That's a pretty interesting story you spin there. I have to say that I agree with your project and the direction of it entirely. Sure it would be nice to have the proto as is dumped to be preserved, released that's up to you, but the fact you want to do a restoration job on this and try to mesh intent with reality using the well versed Strider Citadel people to do it right seems perfect. Go for it. Take as long as needed to get it right unlike Capcom and the end result would be worth it.

Apr 21, 2014 at 1:39:09 AM
MrNorbert1994 (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Hungary
I need a complete walkthrough of this! I have a strong feeling that a shitload of things were altered.

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:27:15 PM
kazblox (0)

< Tourian Tourist >
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Arasoi put these images on the citadel; Now we can ease our minds...

Edited: 04/23/2014 at 09:48 PM by kazblox

Apr 30, 2014 at 3:18:44 PM
Infamous Lunchbox (35)
(Ryan ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Utah
Well I'm in when you're ready to sell man. I'm all in.

Apr 30, 2014 at 6:08:29 PM
Arasoi (2)

Oregon
Just a quick "project update" for everyone.

Things have been going smoothly with working on the game.

The new translation based off the prototype's text is leagues better than the bland one used in the US NES Strider, and aesthetic as well as gameplay improvements are coming together. I will show some examples here when things are a little more concrete.

May 2, 2014 at 11:23:37 PM
blueskyrunner (0)

< Cherub >
That sounds wonderful! I'm really looking forward to this, especially since I actually have money now and can get in on this once you start taking orders. So, if what I've been keeping track of is all together in my head, what you're doing is making an "ultimate" version of the FC Strider, translating it, and releasing repros of that, right?

Also, how will the text formatting work? Will it show up on screen like in the FC version, or will the screen go black like in the US version?

Edited: 05/02/2014 at 11:24 PM by blueskyrunner

May 3, 2014 at 12:32:30 AM
Arasoi (2)

Oregon
Thats exactly what I am looking to do, yes. We have some pretty good ideas on the table, right now like replacing the triangle jump with a Ninja Gaiden wall sticking mechanic, as well as the basic requirements like improving the jumping and collisions.

For the text formatting, my translator has told me that the the NES translation is extremely bland and dull, and is working now on a translation that will make the game more enjoyable to play for its story segments, closer to the anime and manga of the 80s it was based upon. For the difference, think a badly subtitled anime vs an excellent one.

The black screen for text is something that we are looking to banish altogether. Since the original had vertical boxes for a manga like feel we are looking to not only just make them horizontal for this release, but also put a nice border on them and have the english text scroll through with button presses.

May 19, 2014 at 10:18:28 PM
kazblox (0)

< Tourian Tourist >
Originally posted by: Arasoi

Thats exactly what I am looking to do, yes. We have some pretty good ideas on the table, right now like replacing the triangle jump with a Ninja Gaiden wall sticking mechanic, as well as the basic requirements like improving the jumping and collisions.

For the text formatting, my translator has told me that the the NES translation is extremely bland and dull, and is working now on a translation that will make the game more enjoyable to play for its story segments, closer to the anime and manga of the 80s it was based upon. For the difference, think a badly subtitled anime vs an excellent one.

The black screen for text is something that we are looking to banish altogether. Since the original had vertical boxes for a manga like feel we are looking to not only just make them horizontal for this release, but also put a nice border on them and have the english text scroll through with button presses.
Considering that it was 18 days since your post already, is the WIP hack good enough for a short video showing these features?

May 26, 2014 at 6:30:33 AM
Arasoi (2)

Oregon

No more nagging, or the cart and rom dump get it!

Seriously though, no video yet. Have patience! 

May 26, 2014 at 12:35:20 PM
Prototector (3)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Quebec
Gotta admit, that made me chuckle

May 26, 2014 at 6:54:57 PM
MrNorbert1994 (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Hungary

No more nagging, or the cart and rom dump get it!

Seriously though, no video yet. Have patience! 

Video here: 

The text here are in different places. Names are in japanese as well. Though, the prototype has MAJOR differences, I don't have a clue, how to insert that song thingy into, since there are blank tiles all over the place, and there is just not a feasible spot to it. Also... that Ninja Gaiden style jump is out of question. To make a control input totally differently, I would need to write a new source code into it, or something like that. Also: I really need the private dump since as you see, my drawing skills are pretty bad.  

Edited: 05/26/2014 at 07:10 PM by MrNorbert1994

May 27, 2014 at 6:59:36 PM
kazblox (0)

< Tourian Tourist >
Meanwhile in the patience/waiting and torture chamber...

Those who "nag" free of the chains shall be crunched into spikes!

May 27, 2014 at 9:13:31 PM
VGS_fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania

I'll also take this opportunity to say what my intentions are clearly with this prototype and what I want to offer on a reproduction run.

"This just looks like a version with Japanese text, why would this be interesting to get on a cart?"

That is not what I will be offering. I will be offering a re-translated, bug fixed game that is not only more accurate to the manga source material but actually more fun to play and enjoyable than the FC OR the NES version. Both versions are flawed in many ways.

I want to offer something far better than that 72 pin Strider cart at your local game shop. I am working with the Strider Citadel and others to make this a worthy release.

This project isn't Monster Party on Famicom, it's a restoration and improvement of a lost part of Strider history that everyone can enjoy in English accurate to source material, and will actually be a lot more fun to play.

I appreciate all the comments from folks here on NA, I take them seriously and I am open to any more suggestions on how to make this a reproduction that people can get behind. 
Honestly, this project is a huge disappointment to me, and is something that I will not support financially, or orally.  I understand what you are trying to do, and while it is a noble idea, it is basically nothing more than fan fiction, wrapped up in pretty gift paper, with the prototype at the center.  For better or worse, you guys already received Strider as a release on the NES, but we never got a real Famicom release, and seeing that this is a Famicom prototype, a release like the Nolans are doing with Monster Party seems much better suited.

Now an unedited (untranslated too) Famicom release would be finally offering gamers the experience that the original designers had been working on, if what you say is true about the game being a year in development before the USA release.  Throw it into Japanese Famicom cases, and give the Famicom the release that its people have been denied for so many years.  Now that is a project that is worthy of support!

But when the project consists of a hacked version of a prototype rom, rereleased on the NES, then - well, just thanks but no thanks.  I'll stick with my bootleg copy of Strider on Famicom then, and also my real NES Strider cart.

-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpre...

May 27, 2014 at 10:49:44 PM
blueskyrunner (0)

< Cherub >
Wow, rude much? The guy finds a prototype the community's been searching for for years, says he's not only going to release the ROM freely for us to explore and dissect as we see fit, but also is working on a reworked version of the game that will make the game more playable and enjoyable to play as a game rather than a period piece, and you come in here and say "Yeah, it's cool and all, but wah wah you're altering the ROM wah wha not gonna play it just wanted to let you know". I bet the anti-IGAS, Resident Evil 1.5 pure build pyschos would welcome you with open arms. Just... wow.

If you really want an unfinished, buggy proto repro, I'm sure you could just download the ROM once it's released and have someone make a repro of that, complete with Famicom case. Was it really necessary to come in here and try to rain on the parade?

I, for one, will be looking forward to the repro of the revamped version of this game, a game I'll actually be able to play and enjoy rather than be frustrated at a glitchy and unfinished experience with.

Also, sorry if I came on a bit strongly there, but it just peeves me off to no end that Arasoi and whoever he's working with to make this happen come along to give the community more than just a release, and then you come in and try to say their work isn't worth anything. I'm sure you're nice and all, but... I just can't agree with your sentiment.

Edited: 05/27/2014 at 10:54 PM by blueskyrunner

May 28, 2014 at 1:00:07 AM
VGS_fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: blueskyrunner

Wow, rude much? The guy finds a prototype the community's been searching for for years, says he's not only going to release the ROM freely for us to explore and dissect as we see fit, but also is working on a reworked version of the game that will make the game more playable and enjoyable to play as a game rather than a period piece, and you come in here and say "Yeah, it's cool and all, but wah wah you're altering the ROM wah wha not gonna play it just wanted to let you know". I bet the anti-IGAS, Resident Evil 1.5 pure build pyschos would welcome you with open arms. Just... wow.

If you really want an unfinished, buggy proto repro, I'm sure you could just download the ROM once it's released and have someone make a repro of that, complete with Famicom case. Was it really necessary to come in here and try to rain on the parade?

I, for one, will be looking forward to the repro of the revamped version of this game, a game I'll actually be able to play and enjoy rather than be frustrated at a glitchy and unfinished experience with.

Also, sorry if I came on a bit strongly there, but it just peeves me off to no end that Arasoi and whoever he's working with to make this happen come along to give the community more than just a release, and then you come in and try to say their work isn't worth anything. I'm sure you're nice and all, but... I just can't agree with your sentiment.
To begin, I would just like to say a few words of wisdom:  Piss off!  I do not see anything particularly rude in my earlier post, and I am entitled to have and express my opinion just as you are entitled to do the same.  Nothing rude about expressing my thoughts and opinions.  I didn't call the original poster a "stupid f***" or something like that, I just told him that since the game is a prototype of a game that was released in the USA, but unreleased in Japan, that an unaltered Famicom release seemed much more fitting.

Also, cut the bullshit "wah wah" talk.  You don't know who I am, it is foolish to make such ignorant assumptions based off of one post.  Many people do want the games for what they were, period pieces.  As a few other members in this thread had posted, they couldn't even figure out the significance of this game, since it had a USA release.  And that leads to my point, which you seemed to have missed somewhat when analyzing my previous post for rude tones.  Releasing this on the NES (again) is like polishing up the Duck Tales proto with the major changes, or the Virus (Dr. Mario) proto, or any other prototypes of NES games that were released in the USA.  It is a nice gesture, but at the end of the day, a game that WAS released in the USA is being released (AGAIN) in the USA, albeit with some minor changes, upgrades, and the like.  So while the OP's efforts can be appreciated, the end result will be another release of an already-released game, although with some changes.  A good product for the curious, and the repro collectors, but A LOT of the significance of this release is lost, simply because the game WAS ALREADY RELEASED on the NES.

On the other hand, the Famicom never received a release of this game, aside from an unofficial port of the NES version, brought to the Famicom by some pirates.  And here we have the true Famicom version of the game, complete with Japanese text, etc.  And that is partly why this game is so significant, because it went UNRELEASED on Famicom, but was released in the west...and was developed by Japanese company, iirc.  Something that very seldom happens.  So one of the things at the heart of why this game is important is quickly lost, when the game is being released on NES format and not Famicom format.  On NES format, it will be akin to a proto of another released game, with some changes.  On Famicom format, we are talking a totally unreleased game, that was meant for that market.  That is my point.       

-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpre...

May 28, 2014 at 1:06:48 AM
GameMachineJames (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Integrated Circuit) < Crack Trooper >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: tracker465

Originally posted by: blueskyrunner

To begin, I would just like to say a few words of wisdom:  Piss off!  I do not see anything particularly rude in my earlier post, and I am entitled to have and express my opinion just as you are entitled to do the same.  Nothing rude about expressing my thoughts and opinions.  I didn't call the original poster a "stupid f***" or something like that, I just told him that since the game is a prototype of a game that was released in the USA, but unreleased in Japan, that an unaltered Famicom release seemed much more fitting.

Also, cut the bullshit "wah wah" talk.  You don't know who I am, it is foolish to make such ignorant assumptions based off of one post.  Many people do want the games for what they were, period pieces.  As a few other members in this thread had posted, they couldn't even figure out the significance of this game, since it had a USA release.  And that leads to my point, which you seemed to have missed somewhat when analyzing my previous post for rude tones.  Releasing this on the NES (again) is like polishing up the Duck Tales proto with the major changes, or the Virus (Dr. Mario) proto, or any other prototypes of NES games that were released in the USA.  It is a nice gesture, but at the end of the day, a game that WAS released in the USA is being released (AGAIN) in the USA, albeit with some minor changes, upgrades, and the like.  So while the OP's efforts can be appreciated, the end result will be another release of an already-released game, although with some changes.  A good product for the curious, and the repro collectors, but A LOT of the significance of this release is lost, simply because the game WAS ALREADY RELEASED on the NES.

On the other hand, the Famicom never received a release of this game, aside from an unofficial port of the NES version, brought to the Famicom by some pirates.  And here we have the true Famicom version of the game, complete with Japanese text, etc.  And that is partly why this game is so significant, because it went UNRELEASED on Famicom, but was released in the west...and was developed by Japanese company, iirc.  Something that very seldom happens.  So one of the things at the heart of why this game is important is quickly lost, when the game is being released on NES format and not Famicom format.  On NES format, it will be akin to a proto of another released game, with some changes.  On Famicom format, we are talking a totally unreleased game, that was meant for that market.  That is my point.       

Actually, your ranting about which "Market" this goes to is exactly dickbubbles.

The "Market" in qustion here is identical, whether the cartridge has a ROMHACK and 72-pins or the untouched proto and 60-pins. Last time I checked.

I mean, you're not Japanese and living in the late 90's are you? Are you?

Personally I own a Twin Famicom and 2 NES' so I really don't give a sod which format he releases on. I'm just happy to be getting it no matter what.

I just don't know what went wrong!

I don't even own Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt yet!

Please help me begin my NES collection! I've already a Caltron 6 in 1, Cheetahmen II, and a handful of commons! I want to start with the rarest games! Bring me your Little Samsons, your Action 52s, your Panesians and your NWC's!

May 28, 2014 at 1:13:29 AM
Arasoi (2)

Oregon
If there is truly significant interest for an unaltered 60 pin Famicom release it could be feasibly done.

But only a small handful of people have actually requested this from us compared to much more interest in the improved version which will take all valuable resources (namely, the original script being translated accurately and better) from the prototype and apply them to something that could be enjoyed a lot more.

If there is true interest from folks here on NA in an unaltered Famicom run, it could be possible in limited quantities (due to hardware/donor logistics primarily) for a side by side release with the improved 72 pin release.

NA folks, if this is what you would like to see make your voice heard, if there is enough interest it can be done on some level.