Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Starfox 2 Reproduction Reprise! Something's not right this time

Jun 20, 2013 at 10:25:48 PM
[REDACTED] (0)

([Redacted] ) < Tourian Tourist >
New South Wales
So! I thought I broke 3 stunt race fx boards when I figured that my eproms only have 16 pins on each side. I broke the 1-2 pins and I'm wondering if I can solder the EPROM's counterparts to another part on the board, is it possible to? I'll post pictures of each board showing clearly which contacts are broken.

-------------------------
[DATA EXPUNGED]

Edited: 06/20/2013 at 10:39 PM by [REDACTED]

Jun 20, 2013 at 10:47:00 PM
Phins (68)
(-P Z T-) < Kraid Killer >
Utah
You would scratch off the solder mask on the trace and solder directly to it.

We are soldiers without borders, our purpose defined by the Era we live in; we will sometimes have to sell ourselves and services. If the times demand it, we'll be revolutionaries, criminals, terrorists.
And yes, we may all be headed straight to Hell, but what better place for us than this? It is our only home.
Our Heaven, and our Hell.
This, is Outer Heaven.

Jun 20, 2013 at 10:52:05 PM
[REDACTED] (0)

New South Wales
Oh, where?

EDIT: Nevermind I soldered to the trace, Hopefully it works!

[DATA EXPUNGED]

Edited: 06/20/2013 at 11:20 PM by [REDACTED]

Jun 21, 2013 at 10:32:48 AM
Gorillazero (53)
(Well That's Just Prime) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
I wouldn't solder to the trace, unless you scratched it first. I would pull directly from where the trace is attached to, so the point on the board to the leg of the eprom. I had to do that for my Star Ocean copy.

btw they are called solder pads.

Also, the wire you're using isn't the best for repros, you can do 100 IDE cable wiring, that's what I use. That "spool" wire stuff is rough to work with, and can easily touch other pads/points with "hairs" of the wire. I would also Hot Glue everything once you test it. That helps to keep everything secure. Those solder pads are weak and with the weight of an eprom dangling around inside, they can easily rip out.

Two cents. Good luck.

Bounty: Neo Geo Pocket and Color Games PAL/UK. Dive Alert, Pocket Reversi, Puzzle Link 1 and 2, Gals Fighters

Jun 21, 2013 at 7:11:04 PM
[REDACTED] (0)

New South Wales
I used IDE Cable wires, but I tin the tips so they don't make contact with other wires. So far I soldered the difficult connections but I'll hopefully finish and put up a video later today. Then I may move on to overclocking it to 38mhz with a 2 pin oscillator. EDIT: I got it to work for half a second before a wire came loose.

[DATA EXPUNGED]

Edited: 06/24/2013 at 04:01 AM by [REDACTED]

Jun 24, 2013 at 2:12:57 PM
Gorillazero (53)
(Well That's Just Prime) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
Short wires and hot glue are your friends

Bounty: Neo Geo Pocket and Color Games PAL/UK. Dive Alert, Pocket Reversi, Puzzle Link 1 and 2, Gals Fighters

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:57:00 PM
[REDACTED] (0)

New South Wales
I know, I managed to solder it all up and none of the wires break when I insert it into it's cartridge and put the screws in.
Here's how it looks now.

EDIT: I just saw it boot up but with garbled graphics, I'm not quite sure what's causing it to do that and take a long time to start it up too.

[DATA EXPUNGED]

Edited: 06/24/2013 at 07:42 PM by [REDACTED]