Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Slow weapon response time on Quake 2 N64? Can someone check this out for me?

Dec 11, 2018 at 4:08:22 AM
OptOut (10)
(Taiwan PAL Gamer ) < Lolo Lord >
Taiwan
Hey guys just a quick one. I'm playing Quake 2 at the mo on N64, really good game, loving it. But I've noticed an issue where guns either don't fire or have what seems like a delayed fire sometimes when I press the Z button.

Seems to happen when I tap the Z button very lightly and quickly, but not every time just sometimes. Also seems to happen more with the heavier weapons, especially the grenade and rocket launchers, but also other weapons too. And, yes, I have tried multiple different controllers, and no it doesn't happen on any other games.

So just wondering if anyone else has noticed this, or if someone wouldn't mind testing this. Just play couple of levels and you will naturally run into it, it seems to happen fairly regularly. I'm guessing it's just a quirk of the game design or something, where you need to hold the button down longer to fire the heavier weapons, it's actually saved me a few times tbh from blowing myself up hitting a wall, lol!

But if anyone can test this, that would be great!

-------------------------

***Help me finish my N64 set!!!***
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...
***I will pay good money for YOUR shovelware sports games!!!***

Dec 11, 2018 at 6:09:09 PM
OptOut (10)
(Taiwan PAL Gamer ) < Lolo Lord >
Taiwan
Did a few other tests, last night. I found that after mapping the fire button to A instead of Z it was still possible to replicate the issue when using soft/quick button taps. Then I stuck Goldeneye in to compare, and the weapon response on that game is simply phenomenal by comparison.

As far as I can tell, Quake 2 is simply programmed to respond to firmer button presses of longer duration, which I guess is in line with the more deliberate combat with heavier hitting weapons and enemies...

I guess I should just man up and slam that fire button like a mofo, and stop playing my N64 like a damn pussy, lol!

***Help me finish my N64 set!!!***
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...
***I will pay good money for YOUR shovelware sports games!!!***

Dec 12, 2018 at 11:05:33 AM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
Haven't played on N64, but I think Quake 2 weapons don't feel very responsive on PC (delay between button and action and nearly all of them lack OOMPH) which is one of the many reasons I don't much like Quake 2  

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports