Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Ultimate Nintendo: Guide to the NES Library 1985-1995 NES Library Guide & Review Book of 750+ Games!

Nov 25, 2015 at 12:25:38 PM
Diamante Loco (149)
(gblock mountaineer) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
Originally posted by: Daria

Originally posted by: Pat the NES Punk

"I'm gonna guess those have just a touch more hard research, as well as actual photography rather than Illustrator templates and NesterJ screenshots." - Who is NesterJ?

I *think* it's an emulator. Sounds like the guy's knocking you for not capturing screens from a real NES - which is asinine. 

it is an NES emulator. that makes no sense someone would be knocking someone for taking from an emulator if it provides cleaner screenshots for the point of publishing....can't please everyone

-------------------------

The User formally known as g_block. Same nice guy, different name :-)

Nov 25, 2015 at 12:35:22 PM
Pat the NES Punk (23)
(Patrick Contri) < Meka Chicken >
California
Originally posted by: AirVillain

Too bad some people here are douches, props to you for being civil about it! Thanks for explaining that, by the way. Hearing negative things about any gaming community is not cool but I can totally understand why you'd hold disdain for any actions like that, that's simply not tolerable. Those people should not be allowed here, or in any other community. Glad to see the Marathon/Book get proper love here!

You're right, they shouldn't be, but they are. But yes, I appreciate the support here!  

--------------------------------
twitter: patthenespunk
facebook - Pat the NES Punk

thepunkeffect.com

Nov 25, 2015 at 12:40:22 PM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia

Originally posted by: AirVillain

Too bad some people here are douches, props to you for being civil about it! Thanks for explaining that, by the way. Hearing negative things about any gaming community is not cool but I can totally understand why you'd hold disdain for any actions like that, that's simply not tolerable. Those people should not be allowed here, or in any other community. Glad to see the Marathon/Book get proper love here!

You're right, they shouldn't be, but they are. But yes, I appreciate the support here! 
Well, the internet is full of trolls and weirdos. Good thing Flea Market Madness can save us from all that, haha...

Anyways, I look forward to the book/next marathon, thanks!

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Nov 25, 2015 at 1:41:45 PM
turf (5)
(Jason Overturf) < Tourian Tourist >
Arkansas
I said it on twitter and I'll say it here.  I'm pumped for this.  I like to see a labor of love come to fruition.  I like the thought of a coffee table book.  It's information and a showpiece.
Thanks for doing this, Pat.  My $66 is already in. 

BACKED

Nov 25, 2015 at 2:18:25 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia

"I'm gonna guess those have just a touch more hard research, as well as actual photography rather than Illustrator templates and NesterJ screenshots." - Who is NesterJ? 1) They're not Illustrator templates, they're 3D vector graphics created specifically for the book (and they look damn nice - thanks to Oliver Arce). 65% or so of screenshots came from MobyGames.com (with their permission). The other 35% were personally captured by yours truly.
I would like to explain my statement, since it seems to have been misunderstood.

Yes, NesterJ is an emulator. Of course you would use it (or something like it) for taking screenshots. I only meant that that takes less technical skill than film and/or SLR photography, which is what I would expect to see in a historical document of railroad trains. I would not hold Nintendo reviews to that standard as it would be completely unnecessary, and yes asinine, not to mention probably lower quality pictures.

Illustrator is a program for working with vector graphics (unlike Photoshop which is for rasters). It's the industry standard, to my understanding. The cartridge pictures on each page showing the game label, the cartridge portion is the same. So I think it's a pretty fair guess that you[r team] used a template to put that next to every title. Templates don't only come with software. Graphic designers/layout artists can make their own, same as musicians can make their own samples.

I was not knocking you at all and I'm sorry that I sounded that way. I think $60 is a fair price for your book. I'm not a fan of any podcasts, but I really bear you no serious ill will.

Nov 25, 2015 at 2:28:32 PM
NickTLG (48)
(Nintendo Sage) < Bowser >
Illinois

Maybe one day I'll go into more details on the podcast. That might cause a new thread!

That would be quite interesting. My wife and I watch your show and podcasts and are fans. We even watch your marathons. But we've gotten the impression you're not at all a fan of my favorite website (which is fine of course). But it sounds like you at least know we're not all bad guys, and that's nice to hear.

Instagram
Wishlist

Nov 27, 2015 at 4:17:57 AM
Pat the NES Punk (23)
California
Just updated to add international shipping options. I know it's steep, but there's nothing that can be done, sadly. We're not close yet to Star Trek teleportation, unfortunately.

thepunkeffect.com

Nov 27, 2015 at 4:50:39 AM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland
Ugh, I'd love the book but the price tag is a little steep IMO, especially with International Shipping thrown in the mix. I know it can't be helped, but it's a little steep for what I usually spend on books.

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:04:11 AM
Pat the NES Punk (23)
California
Originally posted by: Vectrex280996

Ugh, I'd love the book but the price tag is a little steep IMO, especially with International Shipping thrown in the mix. I know it can't be helped, but it's a little steep for what I usually spend on books.

There's always the digital version. Thanks for your interest either way.

thepunkeffect.com

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:51:20 AM
Foochie776 (240)
(Obi Wan Kenobi) < Bowser >
Minnesota
Is US shipping included in the $60?

May the force be with you.

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:55:29 AM
attakid101 (19)
(Fredo ) < King Solomon >
Idaho
60 bucks isn't really that steep when compared to something like, say, college text books.

Think of this as a text book for your hobby!!

If I collected NES, I'd be all over this!

Nov 27, 2015 at 1:52:20 PM
Pat the NES Punk (23)
California
Originally posted by: Foochie776

Is US shipping included in the $60?

It's an additional $6, which I think I'm actually losing money on.

thepunkeffect.com

Nov 28, 2015 at 7:32:40 AM
Mandarake (0)

< Cherub >
Famicom section too?

Nov 29, 2015 at 2:43:55 PM
Jerbilly (62)
(Jeremy ) < Master Higgins >
Michigan
Originally posted by: Mandarake

Famicom section too?

I would imagine not unless it's a big secret that has not been mentioned anywhere regarding the book.

Dec 2, 2015 at 8:55:17 AM
Silius (11)
(. Y .) < Eggplant Wizard >
Switzerland
I really like the look and the contents of the book. Therefore, I backed it - eventhough the shipping costs more than the actual book 8-|

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:07:26 PM
Pat the NES Punk (23)
California
Thanks, Silius, unfortunately the shipping is out of my hands.

thepunkeffect.com

Dec 4, 2015 at 8:56:43 AM
thesubcon3 (148)
(Jeffrey Wittenhagen) < King Solomon >
Texas

"I'm gonna guess those have just a touch more hard research, as well as actual photography rather than Illustrator templates and NesterJ screenshots." - Who is NesterJ? 1) They're not Illustrator templates, they're 3D vector graphics created specifically for the book (and they look damn nice - thanks to Oliver Arce). 65% or so of screenshots came from MobyGames.com (with their permission). The other 35% were personally captured by yours truly.

"I'd like a SNES one though " You're killing me!

I figured I would chime in on the screenshots aspect. While I captured a lot of mine from my actual NES with a capture card, with exception of a few from when I initially created my book, it is really not reasonable to expect a more graphically intensive book with tons of screenshots to be 100% unique. Getting permission from MobyGames, or in my case GameFAQs, is a great option.

BTW, Pat's book looks great and I love the different take on a NES book! Reminds me of the Retro Gamer Bookazines they do, which is great. While mine is more minimalistic inside, that easy on the eyes style is by design as this isn't the only book that I'm doing and I want to have a universal look to them. 

Oh and there definitely will be a "Complete SNES" within the next year or so (already 100 pages into it!)

Check out VGBS Gaming Podcast, all of my books and other nonsense at:
www.hagensalley.com

Get one of my latest books...The Complete SNES - Definitive Edition! 

https://hagens-alley-books.myshopify.com/collections/hagens-...

Games I am looking for...PM me if you got 'em
Obscure Games for the PC-FX, Vectrex, Neo Geo, MSX
NES Homebrew - Lady Frogger, Blade Buster (with save)

Dec 4, 2015 at 10:04:29 AM
teh lurv (118)
< King Solomon >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: attakid101

60 bucks isn't really that steep when compared to something like, say, college text books.

Think of this as a text book for your hobby!!

If I collected NES, I'd be all over this!

$60 is what I paid to back the Mega Drive coffee table book, so Pat's price isn't out of line.

My son... gives me Helpful Nintendo Hints that are far too complex for the adult mind to comprehend. Here's a verbatim example: "OK, there's Ganon and miniature Ganon and there's these things like jelly beans and the miniature Ganon is more powerfuller, because when you touch him the flying eagles come down and the octopus shoots red rocks and the swamp takes longer." And the hell of it is, I know he's right. - Dave Barry

Dec 6, 2015 at 8:34:13 PM
Stan (81)
(Demonologist and Linguist Supreme) < Ridley Wrangler >
Virginia
Really cool seeing something like this being done. Not sure if any of you remember, but when I first go into the NES scene online many years ago I jumped into everyone's face with my HELP CREATE THE BOOK full CAPS attack thread at NESworld detailing my master plan, which is essentially what Pat has done here. What eventually stopped me was the potential legal threat from Nintendo, even after many months of work (the remains of the project you can find as my NES collecting guide, which was going around after Etler's). Just curious, how did you get around Nintendo? They weren't too happy when I approached them for permission. Either way, awesome to see this done. Did you include Sachen or any of the really bizarre ones in there?

Edited: 12/06/2015 at 08:34 PM by Stan

Dec 9, 2015 at 2:25:34 PM
MilonSecretStash (24)
(Joe Milon) < Eggplant Wizard >
New York
was looking forward to this. the text might be too small for my eyes though.

Dec 10, 2015 at 1:55:13 PM
Pat the NES Punk (23)
California
Originally posted by: MilonSecretStash

was looking forward to this. the text might be too small for my eyes though.

I have actually gone back through and raised the font size universally about .5 in order to make it slightly easier to read (print tests look pretty good). The digital version may be easier for you, due to the e-book functionality of zooming, etc.

thepunkeffect.com

Dec 11, 2015 at 1:13:20 PM
Jerbilly (62)
Michigan
Out of curiosity, how did you select the specific screenshots that you have included in the book?

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:33:01 AM
Pat the NES Punk (23)
California
Originally posted by: jerbloopy

Out of curiosity, how did you select the specific screenshots that you have included in the book?

For the ones that already existing, a combination of ones that displayed the gameplay enough and in different ways to show enough variety that would enhance the written review. I tried to do something similar for the ones I created.

thepunkeffect.com

Dec 14, 2015 at 12:14:09 PM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York
well done. book pledged! 8 more days, people!

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Dec 14, 2015 at 1:30:52 PM
Jerbilly (62)
Michigan

Originally posted by: jerbloopy

For the ones that already existing, a combination of ones that displayed the gameplay enough and in different ways to show enough variety that would enhance the written review. I tried to do something similar for the ones I created.

Cool, thanks. Some of the books I've seen show the most boring screenshots that make me wonder what was going on behind the scenes.