Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Applying Artificial Intelligence to Handicapping NES Tetris

Aug 19 at 10:17:48 AM
zeroone (0)

< Little Mac >
I used an AI to measure how shrinking the playfield size in NES Tetris affects the difficulty of the game.

https://meatfighter.com/handicappedtetris/

Aug 19 at 11:34:39 AM
Sign Collector Guy (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
Watching the AI play is amazing.

Aug 19 at 4:39:38 PM
Mario's Right Nut (352)
(Cunt Punch) < Bowser >
Texas
That's pretty neat. When it gets going that fast, it just seems like there's not enough frames to get the piece to move all the way over. The computer must be synced with the frame rate or something...being able to instantly input the "move the f over" command with the first frame. Impressive use of statistics.

-------------------------

This is my shiny thing, and if you try to take it off me, I may have to eat you.

Check out my dev blog.

Aug 20 at 10:15:23 AM
zeroone (0)

< Little Mac >
Originally posted by: Mario's Right Nut

That's pretty neat. When it gets going that fast, it just seems like there's not enough frames to get the piece to move all the way over. The computer must be synced with the frame rate or something...being able to instantly input the "move the f over" command with the first frame. Impressive use of statistics.
The plugin does not cheat by teleporting pieces in a single frame.  Though if it wanted to, it could cheat like that by directly manipulating CPU memory.  Rather, as the plugin maneuvers a piece, it holds down buttons on the even frames and releases all buttons on the odd frames (or vice versa).  In that sense, it is "synced with the frame rate".  It's able to do this because it is running within the emulator.  But, at least in principle, it could run externally if you managed to get a camera system synced to the frame rate externally.

As an aside, some human players are able to hypertap nearly as fast as the AI.  It's crazy what people train themselves to do.