Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

(RE)Sealed games on eBay (H-seam seals) Does anyone agree with this?

Oct 25, 2009 at 5:35:25 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Some legit seals have H-Seams that are meeting very nicely though. It can be a bit confusing sometimes.

-------------------------

Oct 25, 2009 at 5:52:23 PM
icemanxp300 (1)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Greg S) < Crack Trooper >
New York

I would be leary on the short order because of all the wrinkles around the seal on side. However the robocop looks 100 percent legit to me. The only thing I see wrong is the seem on sides has no overflap its a complete 90 where the sides go down and across backside.

I however have seen legit factory sealed that looked the same. The fact that they show the top hinge and it is red and black means that any crease would more than likely show and I see none. I vote robo is good.

Oct 25, 2009 at 6:41:39 PM
Frost271 (20)

< Meka Chicken >
United States
the seams on the robocop 3 are uneven on each side they should be more towards the middle/center. the ripples are inconsistant throughout the seam as well as there is no overlap what so ever on the ends which is near impossible to duplicate (the overlap) on reseals.

the shortexplode has the same problem; there is no overlap but a slight one (possible factory rollmarks as well but you need pics for that). My main concern with this one is that the side seams are very inconsistant and uneven.

by the way i was really drunk looking at these pics last night and i am not now. Im really surprised you guys think these are legit. Not even ONE red flag for any of you guys on these games?? come on now. Bronty? Do you have any games that have been graded legit that look like these?

I could be wrong too.. im not gonna be a douche about it; but i would not recommend buying these.

Looking to buy mint condition, factory sealed nes titles!

Oct 25, 2009 at 6:45:13 PM
Frost271 (20)

< Meka Chicken >
United States
i just looked at the reseal guide - its a great guide to go by; i started with this guide a few years back.. theres another ebay guide thats better (ill look for it). But compare the robocop 3 side seam to the reseal pic of the side seam in the guide....

Looking to buy mint condition, factory sealed nes titles!

Oct 25, 2009 at 7:19:30 PM
icemanxp300 (1)
New York
I'll agree on the robo now that the center seem is off. I originally thought it was just the picture angle. I as well see the hole in shrink on top. This made me go over my sealed nes again lol. It appears a monoply I bought from a gamestore a few years back is a reseal. LOL go figure, back before I knew awhole lot about reseals. It was $20.

Oct 25, 2009 at 7:48:30 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
The best trick to be sure something is resealed or not is still the formation of a white crease at the back of the box, where the top flap opens. I would say both of them are probably legit in my books. I saw legit sealed games with a very light overlap, some with a bigger overlap, some with a straight overlap, some more on a side, some that both marks have an overlap, some where only one has an overlap and the other side meeting straight, so on. This said, I would only be sure of anything when looking for the white crease, but maybe Frost is right about the non-centered seam line.

That is still a very good idea to share our thoughts on the subject, very instructive.

Edited: 10/26/2009 at 12:07 AM by guillavoie

Oct 25, 2009 at 9:35:05 PM
icemanxp300 (1)
New York
Originally posted by: guillavoie

The best trick to be sure something is reseal or not is still the formation of a white crease at the back of the box, where the top flap open.

This really only shows up on dark colors and it only shows once flap has been opened all the way. I recently opened a nes play action football and watched this crease carefully. I was able to open and close w/no white crease. However once opened really far the white crease showed. Now you can kinda see an indent across box but it is really hard to tell if it was made from opening the flap.

Oct 25, 2009 at 9:42:43 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
if you are calling foul on the short order you must be on crack. i can understand how you think the robocop is a reseal though. To me though, it looks pretty legit.

eBay listings here

Oct 25, 2009 at 11:14:12 PM
spoonman (66)
(Matt - The Obsessed Gamer) < Ridley Wrangler >
New York
Thanks for the guide link Bronty.

The only thing that I don't totally agree with on that guide is the hangtabs section (4)

"Often times the part of the hang tab that is stuck to the shrink wrap is slightly discolored, yet oddly enough, the rest of the tab is usually still clear."

I can tell you for sure that they discolor because of the sticky double-sided tape. Back when I worked at a game store in the mid 90's, Nintendo would send us sheets of replacement hangtabs to use on SNES games that didn't originally ship with them. I snagged a few of these sheets (don't tell anyone ) and noticed the bottoms still became discolored.

While on the topic...
Does anyone remember when NES games (at least in the US) weren't sealed in cellophane? Many of the first NES games I bought in 1985 only had a black dot stickers on the front and were very easy to return for a cash refund. You can see from my old collection picture if you look closely...

Edited: 10/25/2009 at 11:14 PM by spoonman

Oct 25, 2009 at 11:25:40 PM
thenickross (134)
(nick ross) < King Solomon >
United States
I bought about 10 games once from that seller of the Short Order. 1 was a definite reseal. I had suspicions of another, but I opened it and it seemed legit. He is listed in the HOS here for selling reseals.

Yes, that's me in my avatar. 

Oct 25, 2009 at 11:31:17 PM
dr.robbie (175)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri
i honestly hate you spoonman   ... so much BB goodness...

yep, black sticker seal. VGA still recognizes them as an official seal (since they are)

Let's Go Penguins!

Edited: 10/25/2009 at 11:31 PM by dr.robbie

Oct 25, 2009 at 11:49:07 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
 Not even ONE red flag for any of you guys on these games?? come on now. Bronty? Do you have any games that have been graded legit that look like these?

I could be wrong too.. im not gonna be a douche about it; but i would not recommend buying these.

Well that's the biggest fault with Nick's guide.   The idea that the side seams always overlap on legit games.   It simply isn't true.  Usually yes, always, no.    Do I have legit sealed games that look like this - absolutely.      You also have to keep in mind that even the h-seams were not 100% consistent throughout the life of the system.   There are slight differences between games produced real early and ones produced real late.    I have absolutely seen legit games like that before and from looking at the pics I absolutely believe them to be legit.

Moreover, let's not forget.   If someone is going to reseal a game, what's it going to be?   Something they can easily find in relatively mint CIB, or something that would go for a lot sealed.   A black box, a zelda.   Something like that, most of the time.     Hardly anyone is going to risk their reputation to reseal a short order eggsplode to make 20 fucking dollars revenue and 12 net after costs.     So yeah, I think they are legit.    Can never say for sure from pics, but I'd bet they probably are.

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Edited: 10/25/2009 at 11:49 PM by Bronty

Oct 25, 2009 at 11:52:49 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: thenickross

I bought about 10 games once from that seller of the Short Order. 1 was a definite reseal. I had suspicions of another, but I opened it and it seemed legit. He is listed in the HOS here for selling reseals.

leatherbyvincent maybe?   I don't have a gamegavel account.

He did have some reseals, but most of his stock was legit.    It was mainly the better games that had reseals, no?   What title of yours was resealed if I may ask?

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Oct 25, 2009 at 11:55:54 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: Bronty

Not even ONE red flag for any of you guys on these games?? come on now. Bronty? Do you have any games that have been graded legit that look like these?

Well that's the biggest fault with Nick's guide.   The idea that the side seams always overlap on legit games.   It simply isn't true.  Usually yes, always, no.   

further to that, looking at short order pics again.   One side clearly has an overlap and the other does not.    Not that unusual for one side to be missing it.   Both sides more suspicious but still not conclusive.

Oct 26, 2009 at 12:57:53 AM
thenickross (134)
(nick ross) < King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: Bronty

Originally posted by: thenickross

leatherbyvincent maybe?   I don't have a gamegavel account.

He did have some reseals, but most of his stock was legit.    It was mainly the better games that had reseals, no?   What title of yours was resealed if I may ask?

Track & Field 2 was for sure resealed. No h-seam(I know there are some games without them) but the cello was just different, it was thicker than normal. I opened it, and you can tell the manual wasn't mint. It also didn't have any inserts. I didn't read about him in the HOS until later.

Yes, that's me in my avatar. 

Oct 26, 2009 at 8:53:09 AM
rarebucky (178)

(Adam Buchwald) < Ridley Wrangler >
United States
leatherbyvincent is a total scammer. all of his games (at least now) are re-seals. Stay far, far away...

Oct 26, 2009 at 9:35:10 AM
langenfeld (279)
(Michael Langenfeld) < El Ripper >
Alabama
I think you guys are referring to Vintage Videogames. People often think this guy has reseals and his reputation has been dragged through the mud a few times (he has been banned from eBay). However, I know of at least a few of us on NA that have bought basically one copy of every title he has and have had nothing but mint ass legit games. I am sure Braveheart can testify. There may be a couple in there that are questionable but I don't believe them to be from his stock, probably some he picked up on the way. He and I did quite a bit of business on numerous occasions. Everything was great until he shorted me a game on my last order, lied about reshipping it, and refuses to answer my email attempts. BUT...I do believe his games to be legit....if you get them.

Oct 26, 2009 at 9:41:36 AM
paulyshobby (90)
(Paul LaMalfa) < Ridley Wrangler >
New Hampshire
I purchased TONS of sealeds from Vintage Videogames and thought every single one was not only Legit but MINTTTT

Check out my eBay/Amazon stores!
http://www.paulyshobby.com...

Oct 26, 2009 at 4:46:57 PM
spoonman (66)
(Matt - The Obsessed Gamer) < Ridley Wrangler >
New York
Might be slightly OT, but I was wondering how you guys feel about "legit reseals".

I don't honestly know if retail games stores are still doing this, but when I worked at Babbage's, we required to take one of each game and "gut it" - taking the paperwork and cartridge (or disc) and separating them from the boxes. This was done to try and keep people from stealing the games from our displays (We sill had people steal the empty boxes!)

I never agreed with this, but many people who thought they were buying new SNES, N64, PSX games ended up with resealed versions. I was a victim of this as well. My Final Fantasy VII (Black label), even though I bought it brand new and sealed, was a reseal which really craps on it's value as a collectible.

Oct 26, 2009 at 6:00:05 PM
rarebucky (178)

United States
Originally posted by: langenfeld

I think you guys are referring to Vintage Videogames. People often think this guy has reseals and his reputation has been dragged through the mud a few times (he has been banned from eBay). However, I know of at least a few of us on NA that have bought basically one copy of every title he has and have had nothing but mint ass legit games. I am sure Braveheart can testify. There may be a couple in there that are questionable but I don't believe them to be from his stock, probably some he picked up on the way. He and I did quite a bit of business on numerous occasions. Everything was great until he shorted me a game on my last order, lied about reshipping it, and refuses to answer my email attempts. BUT...I do believe his games to be legit....if you get them.

Sorry but there was a reason he was kicked off ebay THREE times.  Bill Dixon, crappy seller and purveyor of fine smoky-smelling games.  Did I have 2 good transactions with him?  Yes.  Did I have 2 bad ones that followed?  Yes.

Oct 26, 2009 at 6:18:34 PM
cradelit (21)
(crade lit) < Bowser >
Alberta
I don't have a lot of faith in sealed games... It's not exactly Financial currency, if someone wanted to invest some time and effort into forging reseals, I'm sure it's possible to do it really well.

GRRR!

Oct 26, 2009 at 9:28:36 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: rarebucky

Originally posted by: langenfeld

Sorry but there was a reason he was kicked off ebay THREE times.  Bill Dixon, crappy seller and purveyor of fine smoky-smelling games.  Did I have 2 good transactions with him?  Yes.  Did I have 2 bad ones that followed?  Yes.

I wonder what happened to the guy.   He used to be totally dependable and then a switch went off a couple years ago where he suddenly turned into a shitty seller.

Oct 26, 2009 at 9:30:13 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: cradelit

I don't have a lot of faith in sealed games... It's not exactly Financial currency, if someone wanted to invest some time and effort into forging reseals, I'm sure it's possible to do it really well.

I share your lack of enthusiasm when it comes to anything that was sealed in a plastic case.  

Items that came in cardboard boxes I am quite comfortable with because there is so much more that the box can tell you.

Oct 26, 2009 at 9:30:44 PM
rarebucky (178)

United States
His last hurrah on ebay was when he auctioned tons of sealed SMS that started at $0.01. Some ended less than $1. He didn't honor any of his sales (including several to me) and quickly got booted off ebay for the 3rd (and apparently final) time. What a douchebag.

Oct 26, 2009 at 9:31:42 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: spoonman

Might be slightly OT, but I was wondering how you guys feel about "legit reseals".

I don't honestly know if retail games stores are still doing this, but when I worked at Babbage's, we required to take one of each game and "gut it" - taking the paperwork and cartridge (or disc) and separating them from the boxes. This was done to try and keep people from stealing the games from our displays (We sill had people steal the empty boxes!)

I never agreed with this, but many people who thought they were buying new SNES, N64, PSX games ended up with resealed versions. I was a victim of this as well. My Final Fantasy VII (Black label), even though I bought it brand new and sealed, was a reseal which really craps on it's value as a collectible.

I like them but won't pay much for them.   you never really know what you are getting inside.  For example I opened up a resealed ghosts n goblins that was resealed by the store in the 80s and the stuff inside was bent.  Must have been a customer return.   Plegh.