Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

AVGN VS. DR. WILY Repro question.

Dec 2, 2013 at 9:37:36 PM
8-bitBishop (56)
(Eric Bishop) < Crack Trooper >
Utah
Im trying to make a copy of this game for a friend. I have made repro's before, but this one I dont understand. Normally there is PRG and CHR to split, but I only see PRG ROM for this game. What is my best option for a donor cart, and how much chr rom for this game?
Here are the specs:

Board:        SNROM, Mapper 1
PRG-ROM:      256k
V-RAM:        8k
W-RAM:        8k
Solder Pad:   H:0 V:1
Battery:      No
Dump:         Unknown

-------------------------
                                        Please check out my Repro Thread

Edited: 12/02/2013 at 09:47 PM by 8-bitBishop

Dec 2, 2013 at 9:56:42 PM
FancyPantsGamer (19)
(Dave ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Maryland
It doesn't use CHR_ROM it uses CHR RAM, which is built into the cart. I would use an NES open golf or Ultima Exodus, though there are others. Only remove the PRGROM from the cart and wire per SNROM diagrams, 3 wires I believe.

Dec 2, 2013 at 10:41:41 PM
8-bitBishop (56)
Utah
Thank you very much! I'm still a bit confused though. Do I still split the CHR and PRG rom? If I split the rom, and burn the PRG rom onto an eeprom chip, then install it into the game, how would the game function graphically without the CHR rom? Sorry man, I'm new to this.

Dec 3, 2013 at 8:20:59 AM
FancyPantsGamer (19)
(Dave ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Maryland
yes, use a program to split it, then you will notice the CHR is 0bytes, go ahead and delete that useless bastard and just program the PRG. All of the games data, including the graphics, will be on the PRG and it will dump those assets the CHRROM would normally need onto the RAM.

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:29:13 AM
Gorillazero (53)
(Well That's Just Prime) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
It's a Mega Man 2 Hack

http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/pr...

SGROM > Similar to SNROM (one PRG Chip)

SNROM (mapper 1):
Bend up pins 1, 2, 24, 30 and 31 (or cut tracks 2, 24 and 30)
Solder pin 2 to hole 24 (A16)
Solder pin 24 to GND (OE)
Solder pin 30 to hole 1 (A17)

You can still split the rom, but your end result will be a 0 kb file for CHR and a 256kb file for PRG. a 27c2001 or 27c020 eprom would work best.

Bounty: Neo Geo Pocket and Color Games PAL/UK. Dive Alert, Pocket Reversi, Puzzle Link 1 and 2, Gals Fighters

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:34:39 AM
8-bitBishop (56)
Utah
Originally posted by: PiM-Games

yes, use a program to split it, then you will notice the CHR is 0bytes, go ahead and delete that useless bastard and just program the PRG. All of the games data, including the graphics, will be on the PRG and it will dump those assets the CHRROM would normally need onto the RAM.

Thank you! And you are hilarious : - D. 
     I used Nestopia to find out this was an SNROM. I have heard that you should not rely on Nestopia for board types. Is there an alternative way to find out what type of pcb a hacked rom is? Is there a list of hacked games and there board types somewhere?  And one more thing I have trouble understanding, since this is a mega man 2 hack, why does applying this avgn vs. wily patch change the board type? I don't understand why hacking a game changes the pcb type. 
  Thanks so much for your help. I'm just trying to get a better understanding .

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:35:42 AM
8-bitBishop (56)
Utah
Originally posted by: Gorillazero

It's a Mega Man 2 Hack

http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/profile.php?id=47

SGROM > Similar to SNROM (one PRG Chip)

SNROM (mapper 1):
Bend up pins 1, 2, 24, 30 and 31 (or cut tracks 2, 24 and 30)
Solder pin 2 to hole 24 (A16)
Solder pin 24 to GND (OE)
Solder pin 30 to hole 1 (A17)

You can still split the rom, but your end result will be a 0 kb file for CHR and a 256kb file for PRG. a 27c2001 or 27c020 eprom would work best.

Thank you so much.
So let me ask you. Is the Original Rom pcb always the same as the hacked version of the rom? Does applying the patch of the hack change the pcb type? Also, let's say that I check the pcb type in Nestopia and find out that it a game is SGROM or whatever, but all the SGROM donors are fairly pricey. How do I find out which boards are compatible with SGROM? You said that SGROM and SNROM is similar. So you can use either one for this game? I just want more variety to choose from when finding donors. I suck at this. sorry.

Edited: 12/04/2013 at 12:42 AM by 8-bitBishop

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:11:00 AM
Gorillazero (53)
(Well That's Just Prime) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
I would use a SGROM to be sure, once you have the rom of the hacked game, run it through FCEUX and look at the message log, it should tell you the mapper, etc. Hacks can change the mappper, but no usually, unless they expand the rom etc.

Bounty: Neo Geo Pocket and Color Games PAL/UK. Dive Alert, Pocket Reversi, Puzzle Link 1 and 2, Gals Fighters