Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Arcade1Up bringing a line of classic arcade cabinets for sale this fall

Nov 27, 2018 at 10:17:45 AM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
I also couldn't believe how small they were. I haven't taken actual measurements, but how are they possibly 3/4 scale? They look much closer to 1/4 scale to me.

-------------------------

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Nov 27, 2018 at 10:19:30 AM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
With that said, I may still pick one up if they get marked down to clearance levels after Christmas. The Black Friday deals were tempting, but I still couldn't justify the price.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Nov 27, 2018 at 11:38:20 AM
kimbolemonslice (86)
(Aaron Kit) < Kraid Killer >
Missouri
Originally posted by: TDIRunner

I also couldn't believe how small they were. I haven't taken actual measurements, but how are they possibly 3/4 scale? They look much closer to 1/4 scale to me.

they are 4 foot tall

Nov 27, 2018 at 11:47:10 AM
xMaGuSx (60)
< Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: kimbolemonslice

they are 4 foot tall
Lol yeah. If they were 1/4 scale they would be 1.5 ft tall. 4ft-4.5ft are right at 3/4 scale. 

Still too small IMO though, the riser does help though that they sell. It should have been included though for the price IMO not something you have to buy. 

gamevaluenow

Nov 27, 2018 at 11:48:00 AM
kimbolemonslice (86)
Missouri
Originally posted by: imanerd0011

Originally posted by: Boosted52405

I saw the one they had setup for demo at my local Walmart and even after seeing them in videos online, I couldn't believe how small it was! LOL! I really don't know why anyone would pay full price for these. I'm guessing that they will be in the bargain bin by mid January. At that point buying the SF2 one and modding it wouldn't be a bad idea.
I agree very short, like a arcade for kids.  However, just to share walmart does have booster table things for these that rise them to the height of a normal arcade.  I still am considering getting a pac-man one and maybe throwing a pi on it.

What surprised me even more is how small the box is to buy it - it could slide into a backseat easily lol.

just an update i did finally get one and it is amazing! Its the perfect height while sitting and the quality was really suprising. It would be fun to add a raspberry pi to it as well, but i think im going to keep mine as a street fighter machine.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but when was the last time you played a full size upright arcade?  lol 
I will say the Arcade1ups looks really nice, but I don't expect most of them to last very long, assuming they get a decent amount of use.  
I plan on picking up the Pacman and a riser once these get clearanced. 

seems kinda elitist dont you think? "when was the last time you played a full size upright arcade?". last time i went to the laundromat... lol. The support from the company is suppose to be great Ive heard of people having no issues if one comes dinged or anything  and they seem really well made. Not raining on my parade at all

Nov 27, 2018 at 11:51:56 AM
xMaGuSx (60)
< Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
^For fighters, i do not see those components holding up very long at all. Even well made acrade machines with good parts get broken fairly easily from people being too rough with them. Hopefully they are at least easily serviceable and they offer replacement parts.

IIRC the control panel isn't even protected by anything, so the graphics wear right off with sweat.

And i am not sure why they chose to use ball joysticks and not bats, for street fighter.

And since it is so light any type of aggressive movements shake the whole machine.

For stuff like Pac-Man and Galaga i can see it being much less of an issue.

gamevaluenow

Edited: 11/27/2018 at 11:54 AM by xMaGuSx

Nov 27, 2018 at 11:56:18 AM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: xMaGuSx

they are 4 foot tall
Lol yeah. If they were 1/4 scale they would be 1.5 ft tall. 4ft-4.5ft are right at 3/4 scale. 

Still too small IMO though, the riser does help though that they sell. It should have been included though for the price IMO not something you have to buy. 

I guess these are supposed to be 3/4 scale of the original arcade cabinets that they are based off, and I'm picturing 3/4 scale of most of the arcade cabinets that I'm familiar with, which are quite a bit bigger.  

Nov 27, 2018 at 12:02:19 PM
xMaGuSx (60)
< Master Higgins >
Massachusetts

they are 4 foot tall

I guess these are supposed to be 3/4 scale of the original arcade cabinets that they are based off, and I'm picturing 3/4 scale of most of the arcade cabinets that I'm familiar with, which are quite a bit bigger.  
Possibly. But I mean the average stand up arcade is 6 ft tall. Everything from pac-man to mortal kombat and many games in between are around the 6ft mark. I am sure there are bigger machines but those would be exceptions to the plethora of 6 ft cabs in arcades of the most popular games. 

What cab is quite bigger to you, i am curious?

gamevaluenow

Nov 27, 2018 at 12:08:12 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland

I saw the one they had setup for demo at my local Walmart and even after seeing them in videos online, I couldn't believe how small it was! LOL! I really don't know why anyone would pay full price for these. I'm guessing that they will be in the bargain bin by mid January. At that point buying the SF2 one and modding it wouldn't be a bad idea.
I agree very short, like a arcade for kids.  However, just to share walmart does have booster table things for these that rise them to the height of a normal arcade.  I still am considering getting a pac-man one and maybe throwing a pi on it.

What surprised me even more is how small the box is to buy it - it could slide into a backseat easily lol.

just an update i did finally get one and it is amazing! Its the perfect height while sitting and the quality was really suprising. It would be fun to add a raspberry pi to it as well, but i think im going to keep mine as a street fighter machine.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but when was the last time you played a full size upright arcade?  lol 
I will say the Arcade1ups looks really nice, but I don't expect most of them to last very long, assuming they get a decent amount of use.  

seems kinda elitist dont you think? "when was the last time you played a full size upright arcade?". last time i went to the laundromat... lol. The support from the company is suppose to be great Ive heard of people having no issues if one comes dinged or anything  and they seem really well made. Not raining on my parade at all

Not really elitest, just iamnerd owns some arcade cabs.  This mini-arcade is clearly designed as a cheap entry option for those who do not have arcades.  I have a couple full arcades myself and I'm not sure how anyone would want to own the mini if you also own the real thing.

The mini is a great bang for the buck purchase though, no way you can get a full size working arcade of anything delivered to you for anywhere near the ask price of the minis.  

As far as reliability, I think that's a non issue. I know I've only played my arcades less than an hour a month, if that.  It's probably very akin to the NES / SNES classic, you may have bought one, you may have played it a lot when it came out, then it probably sat around gathering dust.  The arcade experience has been exactly the same for me.  Cool to own one but then it just sits there after the new factor wears off. 

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Nov 27, 2018 at 12:11:49 PM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois

they are 4 foot tall

Possibly. But I mean the average stand up arcade is 6 ft tall. Everything from pac-man to mortal kombat and many games in between are around the 6ft mark. I am sure there are bigger machines but those would be exceptions to the plethora of 6 ft cabs in arcades of the most popular games. 

My point is that 46" isn't 3/4 scale of a 6ft arcade cab.  That's why I was so shocked to see them in person.  

Nov 27, 2018 at 12:33:50 PM
xMaGuSx (60)
< Master Higgins >
Massachusetts

My point is that 46" isn't 3/4 scale of a 6ft arcade cab.  That's why I was so shocked to see them in person.  
Yes they are closer to 2/3 scale, 3/4 with the riser if we are going off of 6ft. BUT there are other cabs smaller than 6 ft around the 67-68 inch area which is likely where they are basing their 3/4 number. They definitely fudged the numbers slightly to make them seem bigger. 

And for the record i am not defending these, i am not a fan of them at all. Just was saying that 1/4 scale was obviously a bit of an exaggeration. That would be under 2 ft tall lol   

gamevaluenow

Nov 27, 2018 at 2:15:44 PM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois

Just was saying that 1/4 scale was obviously a bit of an exaggeration. That would be under 2 ft tall lol   

I was exaggerating.  That was the point.  After reading that they were 3/4 scale, I was so shocked by their actual size that my initial impression was that they must have meant 1/4. 

And for the record, they refer to the size as 3/4 scale WITHOUT the riser.  

Nov 27, 2018 at 2:34:34 PM
xMaGuSx (60)
< Master Higgins >
Massachusetts

I was exaggerating.  That was the point.  After reading that they were 3/4 scale, I was so shocked by their actual size that my initial impression was that they must have meant 1/4. 

And for the record, they refer to the size as 3/4 scale WITHOUT the riser.  
I am aware of how they advertised, that is why i said fudging the numbers and making it seem bigger than it actually is   They are very clearly manipulating the numbers as 46 inches is not 3/4 for an arcade machine. But not many people are going to question it. 

Sorry. Your initial post didn't sound like you were exaggerating on purpose or joking, but that you actually thought they were 1/4 scale. Again i was just pointing out how silly 1/4 scale would be at 1.5 feet lol If you were in fact joking then i am sorry for misunderstanding you. But nothing about your initial post had a hint of humor, it seemed like you legitimately thought they were 1/4 scale. Either way doesn't matter   neither of us like this thing.

gamevaluenow

Nov 27, 2018 at 2:45:12 PM
imanerd0011 (20)
(. .) < El Ripper >
United States
Originally posted by: jonebone

Not really elitest, just iamnerd owns some arcade cabs.  This mini-arcade is clearly designed as a cheap entry option for those who do not have arcades.  I have a couple full arcades myself and I'm not sure how anyone would want to own the mini if you also own the real thing.

The mini is a great bang for the buck purchase though, no way you can get a full size working arcade of anything delivered to you for anywhere near the ask price of the minis.  

As far as reliability, I think that's a non issue. I know I've only played my arcades less than an hour a month, if that.  It's probably very akin to the NES / SNES classic, you may have bought one, you may have played it a lot when it came out, then it probably sat around gathering dust.  The arcade experience has been exactly the same for me.  Cool to own one but then it just sits there after the new factor wears off. 

No, he's right.  I reread what I said, and it you read it the wrong way, it does make me sound like a asshole, my bad man! 
When I said that, I was referring to the quality of the wood/materials.  When I saw the demo at Walmart and checked out the quality of the cab itself, and the wood is pretty thin, especially on the lower portion of the front of the machine.  
I will say, Arcade1ups support is top notch so far, no doubt about that.  I've heard that they are sending to control panel overlays, as well as some plexi so that they don't get damaged in the future.  
I guess my biggest issue with these is that they could have been awesome!  It they made them full size, had slightly better components and materials for the cab, these would have been an absolute steal at even $400.  

Nov 27, 2018 at 9:38:21 PM
kimbolemonslice (86)
Missouri

No, he's right.  I reread what I said, and it you read it the wrong way, it does make me sound like a asshole, my bad man! 
When I said that, I was referring to the quality of the wood/materials.  When I saw the demo at Walmart and checked out the quality of the cab itself, and the wood is pretty thin, especially on the lower portion of the front of the machine.  
I will say, Arcade1ups support is top notch so far, no doubt about that.  I've heard that they are sending to control panel overlays, as well as some plexi so that they don't get damaged in the future.  
I guess my biggest issue with these is that they could have been awesome!  It they made them full size, had slightly better components and materials for the cab, these would have been an absolute steal at even $400.  

. It's ok no hard feeling haha, were all pretty passionate about collecting. I do agree the wood on the lower front and the back is very thin. I guess this was to keep the weight down the rest of it is pretty sturdy and thick.

Nov 27, 2018 at 11:04:52 PM
< Lolo Lord >
Florida

But, they wouldn't cost $400, would they? You can purchase full-scale "high quality" arcades. They cost a few thousand dollars and weight over 200 pounds. 
Arcade1up is trying to find that niche where you get a good quality and affordability at the same time. Of course people are going to bitch no matter what, because people. 
Although I have no interest in arcades, I wish Arcade1up all the best, it's a cool concept.

yup

Edited: 11/27/2018 at 11:06 PM by avatar!

Nov 27, 2018 at 11:36:11 PM
kimbolemonslice (86)
Missouri
Originally posted by: avatar!

But, they wouldn't cost $400, would they? You can purchase full-scale "high quality" arcades. They cost a few thousand dollars and weight over 200 pounds. 
Arcade1up is trying to find that niche where you get a good quality and affordability at the same time. Of course people are going to bitch no matter what, because people. 
Although I have no interest in arcades, I wish Arcade1up all the best, it's a cool concept.

yup

it's kind of funny, that is the exact same height as an arcade1up with the stand.

Nov 28, 2018 at 6:37:28 AM
jeffg (418)
(jeff gerhart) < Lolo Lord >
United States
I am an arcade collector, graduated from cartridge gaming to arcades 4 years ago and have about 25 arcades in my collection.

I was really excited about this until i seen the display in Walmart a month or so ago.

I think they are neat for kids or for home but i think we wait until Spring and Walmart will start clearancing them out. I will buy a few at $150 on clearance just because they do look neat.

My 3 walmarts in the neighboring towns had about 15-20 at each store of these left Saturday after black friday sitting on skids that didnt' get touched. So i know they will sit for a while and then get marked down before they get bought. So holding out for that to get some of them. If you are patient you can get good full size arcades for the $300 range, heck I have 2 i would sell right now for $400 each, so for what they are i think the price was too high at $300, $200 would have been better retail.

Nov 29, 2018 at 10:57:23 AM
G-Type (1)
(Geoff ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Virginia

^For fighters, i do not see those components holding up very long at all. Even well made acrade machines with good parts get broken fairly easily from people being too rough with them. Hopefully they are at least easily serviceable and they offer replacement parts.

IIRC the control panel isn't even protected by anything, so the graphics wear right off with sweat.

And i am not sure why they chose to use ball joysticks and not bats, for street fighter.

And since it is so light any type of aggressive movements shake the whole machine.

These things weigh about 60 pounds... You would have to be a very aggressive player to shake it.

Check out my comic, The Scientists. It's like a "Genius-centric 'Goonies' that can turn thriller at any moment". 

Nov 29, 2018 at 11:09:07 AM
xMaGuSx (60)
< Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: G-Type

These things weigh about 60 pounds... You would have to be a very aggressive player to shake it.
60 lbs distributed throughout the entire 4 ft tall machine is really not that heavy at all IMO. Especially when you consider a regular arcade machine weighs around 300lbs and is only 2 ft taller. YMMV though. 

gamevaluenow

Edited: 11/29/2018 at 11:23 AM by xMaGuSx

Jan 05 at 8:25:26 PM
G-Type (1)
Virginia
We finally got the 12-in-1 installed in our family room. It looks awesome and the size is perfect for the room and also for my kids to play at. I also assembled the riser and that puts it at a comfortable height for an adult to play at but too high for my kids to safely reach. I actually prefer the aesthetics of it without the riser anyway so I'm not goin to use it.
I'm loving the game selection. Every game on this machine is a winner except maybe Lunar Lander. My 3 year old's favorite is Crystal Castles.  My 7 year old likes Major Havoc, My 11 year old likes Asteroids Deluxe. My 5 year old likes all of these plus Quantum. I like all of these plus Missile Command, Liberator, Centipede, and Tempest (despite the spinner) The trackball games all play very nicely. The spinner is a disappointment, but since it is only used for Tempest and Major Havoc its not such a huge hinderance (Major Havoc doesn't need to spin freely to control, so Tempest is the only one that really suffers) I learned that A1up is going to be releasing a plug-n-play replacement spinner that will completely solve this issue. I have seen some the other machines deeply discounted for as low as $100. If I saw one at that price, I would absolutely get more. I wouldn't mind getting a couple more. The Pac-man machine and the rampage/gauntlet machine look appealing. I'm also interested to see what the next line of machines might be... hopefully they learned from the mistakes of this first series

Check out my comic, The Scientists. It's like a "Genius-centric 'Goonies' that can turn thriller at any moment". 

Edited: 01/05/2019 at 08:27 PM by G-Type

Jan 12 at 4:53:29 AM
Skorp (39)
(Bryan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
I was able to pick up 3 of them for $150 each at Walmart. Totally worth it at that price. $300 was way too much, so glad I did wait. My Pacman one had a busted screen with two lines out of the box, so had to buy another one and return it. Arcade 1Up Customer support is very poor and Walmart truly needs to handle these better. They just stack them up one another, which is the reason why they always have problems. Also just bought one riser. I plan making custom ones for the other 2.

Also, the only one that wasn't on sale was Street Fighter, so bummed out on that even though they did have them in stock, but nope they said $299.

Help complete my N64 NFR With Minty Back Sticker set. Only need two more:
              Diddy Kong Racing and Super Smash Bros!
Want to Buy/Want to Trade For Thread|For Sale/Offer Thread

Edited: 01/12/2019 at 05:00 AM by Skorp

Jan 12 at 10:50:08 AM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
These things get way more hate than they deserve. I'm honestly surprised that they can hit this price point while I see YouTubers and such saying that they expect 150 to 300 games for half the price.

Ugh, this isn't RetroPie! The games have to be legitimately licensed, and what major partners would value their games so low? NES Classic Edition was only $60 because Nintendo didn't have to pay licensing fees for most of the games... and it didn't need a built-in TV, microswitch arcade controls, heavy wooden cabinet with finishing (with all the distribution concerns that entails), etc.

So what if the buttons and stick aren't arcade quality? Add your own. You've got 95% of the work done for you already. This is for a broader audience than arcade purists alone.

Edited: 01/12/2019 at 10:50 AM by CZroe

Jan 12 at 11:15:34 AM
CMR (4)
< El Ripper >
United States
Does any body know what kind of screens these things use?

Jan 13 at 12:22:02 PM
G-Type (1)
Virginia
They use a 17" LCD screen... on most games its oriented horizontally, but on a couple (such as Centipede) its oriented vertically.