Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

A request to the organizers/admins/etc. About AGE Expo.

Sep 8, 2008 at 12:01:44 AM
Phins (68)
(-P Z T-) < Kraid Killer >
Utah
You see, I live in Chattanooga, and the expo was incredibly close to my birthday. I'm only 12, but the expo meant a lot to me. I heard that the turnout was good enough to warrant AGE 2009, and you might be considering doing it at a different date/location. Well, you said the turnout was good, but if it isn't broke, don't fix it! The turnout being good alone can warrant staying. I can understand a move to Atlanta however though. Just keep it close to the original location/time. Thanks for reading this.

-------------------------
We are soldiers without borders, our purpose defined by the Era we live in; we will sometimes have to sell ourselves and services. If the times demand it, we'll be revolutionaries, criminals, terrorists.
And yes, we may all be headed straight to Hell, but what better place for us than this? It is our only home.
Our Heaven, and our Hell.
This, is Outer Heaven.

Sep 8, 2008 at 12:11:05 AM
projectingstars (95)
(S. K.) < King Solomon >
Washington
I see what you're saying, but you also need to let other people on opposite sides of the country have a chance to attend the expo as well. I live in Washington, so I had no chance to go.

"Absurdity is what I like most in life, and there's humor in struggling in ignorance. If you saw a man repeatedly running into a wall until he was a bloody pulp, after a while it would make you laugh because it becomes absurd".

-David Lynch

Sep 8, 2008 at 12:37:45 AM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
Two things will be assured about the location of AgeExpo 2009.

First, we will announce WELL in advance. This is important for travel purposes, as plane tickets are VERY affordable if you order them well in advance. We're talking at least 4-6 months. This will give everyone fair access to the event.

And second, we will make the decision taking into account ALL factors: not the least of which being the "goodwill" we've established this year by holding it in the southeastern USA, but also what's fair to most NA'ers (including those who could not attend this year).

There are financial considerations, the most basic of which is ensuring that Dain and the NA entity aren't hemorrhaging money. We paid everything that needed to be paid this year, so Phins - your observation about 08 not being "broke" is appropriate in more than one sense of the word. That said, there is a great deal of room to grow, and we'll have to answer some hard questions to come to the decision of where to hold 09 so that it's in the best interests of EVERYONE involved - not just Dain, or you, or I.

This is a great topic for discussion, and a perfect time for it - so everyone please chime in. Feel free to post selfish requests and reasons for a specific 09 location - but keep in mind, the most constructive criticisms and helpful comments are those that take the big picture into account.

I've seen quite a few posts (and heard many comments at the Expo) about having it closer to one's own hometown for their own convenience. This is an example of a comment that of course isn't going to be very helpful on its own, but if you can back up that kind of request with some concrete benefits, or some asset we haven't considered that may or may not be related to the NES hobby...well, that gives us all something to talk about.

Sep 8, 2008 at 12:41:03 AM
NOFRIENDO-banned (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Chad Tukiendorf) < Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin
Chicago...'Nuff said.

Sep 8, 2008 at 12:43:37 AM
OSG (28)
(PEEP and PAMP) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
If I'm doing well financially (doesn't have to be spectacularly well) and have no other commitments by the time the next one happens, it doesn't matter where you hold it. I'll show up.

On the bus

Sep 8, 2008 at 1:10:03 AM
xARSEFACEx (70)
(x AARON x) < Bowser >
Indiana
I'd love Chicago as well, but mainly due to it's proximity to my home. The only thing that kept me from attending this year was work. If I'd been able to ditch my job, I would have shown up anywhere.

If you guys decide to go the midwestern route, there are at least a handful of us here, and I for one would be down to help with anything I could.

Currently Playing: L.A. Noire
Currently Listening: Tyler the Creator - Goblin
Currently Watching: Workaholics, 5 Deadly Venoms

Sep 8, 2008 at 1:11:50 AM
nesdude (122)
(Matt Yanders) < Ridley Wrangler >
Iowa
Chicago would work for me too. Its still a 5 hour drive but MUCH more do-able.

Sep 8, 2008 at 1:30:30 AM
wrldstrman (107)
(doug prickett) < Master Higgins >
West Virginia
I thought where it was held was a good middle of the country location. Just the time of the year was bad for me.

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

Sep 8, 2008 at 1:42:42 AM
burdger (152)
(Ross Burdge) < Bowser >
Ohio
You know, really I would love to see this in a bigger city, like a Chicago, but it would be really difficult to do considering all of the local work NGD did to get this thing off the ground. I really think this was the perfect place for the first year. I know we have quite a few members right around the Chicago area, but will someone be able to put in the legwork to get everything ready for something this big? It would have to be on a bigger scale in a city like Chicago as well because of the cost to do it there. Just some things to think about.

Oh, and also, after this year, I'll go anywhere on this continent for the next one. If it's overseas, I'd do my best to get there as well!

Sep 8, 2008 at 2:22:01 AM
Phins (68)
(-P Z T-) < Kraid Killer >
Utah
Well, consider what you started by holding it in the southeast US. We get nothing here and this was a good first start. If you host in Chicago you'd only be adding to an already clogged market. If you hosted in Atlanta however, you'd be relatively close to your original location, and you'd be hosting in a huge city adding to your growth.

We are soldiers without borders, our purpose defined by the Era we live in; we will sometimes have to sell ourselves and services. If the times demand it, we'll be revolutionaries, criminals, terrorists.
And yes, we may all be headed straight to Hell, but what better place for us than this? It is our only home.
Our Heaven, and our Hell.
This, is Outer Heaven.

Edited: 09/08/2008 at 02:24 AM by Phins

Sep 8, 2008 at 4:10:50 AM
Widar (22)
(Mattias Widar) < Meka Chicken >
Sweden
I vote for Europe next time.

Nah, seriously. I wish i could find plane tickets real cheap, would be so much fun to go.

Need help getting that awesome Euro stuff from Tradera.com? Just ask!

Sep 8, 2008 at 5:13:50 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
I think it really boils down to me, Dain, and Dan just sitting down and discussing what we want to happen and see what the future holds. There is a lot of local legwork to do, so we will have to have someone "on the ground" in the city for sure where ever it is held. I think Knoxville is the geographical center of the south pretty much, but the turnout wasn't huge. For a first show, I thought we done pretty well though. There are two frames of mind for me on this one, try Knoxville again and see if the word of mouth advertising makes the difference, or take our chances on another city. I think at this point we all just want to take a breath and rest a little
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Sep 8, 2008 at 5:21:38 AM
jaredkk (57)
(Jared Klinger) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
I think Philadelphia would be a great city to have this in.  It is within a few hours of quite a few big cities here on the east coast.  I think its within 30 minutes from Dan also.

Sep 8, 2008 at 6:04:03 AM
jaredkk (57)
New Jersey

Actually I was just thinking about it some more, I think Atlantic City might be a good place to have.  AC is a very big for conventions.  It is totally set up for conventions.  It has it's own airport, plus Philadelphia is only 45 minutes away.  Theres also trains to get to the city.  Plenty of convention halls,  hotels, bars, gambling, strip clubs etc.  You guys should seriously look at AC.  I would be willing to be your "man on the ground" in AC. 

Man I feel like a city trying to get the Olympics!

Sep 8, 2008 at 8:21:00 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
I wasn't able to make it this year because of ongoing renovations, but hopefully I'll be poised to attend the next one, wherever it is.

That said, I think it makes sense to keep it on the east coast. The midwest and west coast already have quite a few retro/classic gaming conventions...and the east coast has zip, zilch, nada - until this one.

Really, the only good convention on this side of the country is DragonCon in Atlanta, and it's a much broader event.

Sep 8, 2008 at 10:11:05 AM
xtremegamer (188)
(Lenny Laserdisc) < Ridley Wrangler >
Missouri
I like the idea of doing it again in Knoxville, but when you move the show after a few years, alot of locals will be disapointed. No matter where the show is again, I will make my best effort to be there.

Paaaaper!  Have you ever seen paper?  Look at it, smell it!

Sep 8, 2008 at 10:42:06 AM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
I would love to see the Expo in Knoxville again, but whatever is decided will be fine with me..

This is something I hope to go to again and again and again!!!

Sep 8, 2008 at 10:52:27 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
I think trying it in Knoxville again is also the best play, but that is something we will have to dicuss and decide later on. If we don't have a much larger turnout after the next Knoxvill one, that is when I would think we should consider moving it. Moving it to Gatlinburg, TN might also be a good alternative as well, since there is SOOOOOOOO much to do there for the whole family. Then people could bring their wives, g/f, and kids as well. We have already discussed the fact that we will most likely be having the show earlier next year if we do one as well.
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Sep 8, 2008 at 11:07:49 AM
Roth (67)
(Rob Bryant) < Lolo Lord >
Illinois
Like everyone else, I'll do my best to be where ever it ends up being held at. The wife and son had a blast too, so that's a bonus! I need to get off my butt and get these vids off my camera : P

http://slydogstudios.org...

Sep 8, 2008 at 11:47:28 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Gatlinburg would be a solid option, and you might actually get a lot of spontaneous traffic from the tourists.

Sep 8, 2008 at 2:16:55 PM
mario's left nut (163)
(Poster Nutbag) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana
CHICAGO!!!!!!!!

Best city in the world with Knoxville being a close 2,335.

MLN'er

Do tigers sleep in lily patches, do rhinos run from thunder?

Sep 8, 2008 at 3:34:11 PM
udisi (88)
< King Solomon >
United States
As much as I'd like it in say St Louis , I think Knoxville was a good choice as there aren't many southern shows, Nashville would be neat idea too I think.

Sep 8, 2008 at 3:34:37 PM
UncleTusk (234)
(Wilfred Brimley) < King Solomon >
California
I have legs, I live in chicago, both of my legs work, pretty much, everyday. I'd be more than happy to help if it was in and around chicago. There's lots of convention centers, and i'm sure there'd be a huge turnout here.

Let me know. Vito and I can cruise around together and do whatever is needed, I saw his legs working a few times. They look sturdy.

Only Brave Souls Click on the Tusk

Short and large run boxes, manuals, maps!  Give your Uncle a call!

Sep 8, 2008 at 4:09:27 PM
jaredkk (57)
New Jersey
How many people came to the expo?

Sep 8, 2008 at 4:12:16 PM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
at the peak there were probably 150+ people in the room.. I don't know how many people total showed up though..

It was a good time though, you were missed Jared....