Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

How's everybody like the AVS?

Nov 14, 2016 at 10:47:37 PM
firebrand (45)
(Alex ) < Meka Chicken >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: Austin

Originally posted by: smokelegend

I've seen nothing but great reviews of it. So how's everybody like it so far?

The AVS is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

is the bread gluten free?

Nov 15, 2016 at 4:20:24 AM
Dregoth (0)

< Cherub >
Got mine repaired since it was DOA, and it's everything I imagined it would be plus a little more. The picture is fantastic, can't be said enough.

The lag on emulated systems is real. I took on the AVS as a collector's device first and was skeptical I'd notice the difference, but the clear line for me was while playing Punch-Out. I popped it in and was getting hit by the early boxers too often. I was dodging too soon! So used to emulator lag. Timing the punches has been SO much easier. I got up to Mr. Sandman and can nearly beat him.

Edited: 11/15/2016 at 04:23 AM by Dregoth

Nov 16, 2016 at 7:46:54 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
First of all, I would like to publicly thank RetroUSB for their support with the issue I had with my AVS. I believe if this had been another system, I may still be waiting for a reply and been completely frustated with the situation. Again, Thank you!  

While I still need to tinker with all of the technical aspects to the best of my ability, I am happy to say that the AVS has been amazing so far. The AVS provides a different and enjoyable experience with NES games. Graphics? Yea... they amazing. Scoreboard? Yea, time to brag about scores. Gamegenie? Never used it, but who needs paper?   I really believe the AVS will have me playing games more often due to the new experience with the sharp graphics and the online scoreboard.  I have not logged many hours with the AVS, but I can tell I will be logging in many, many more. I personally believe this is a system that any NES collector needs to own and I am very happy with my purchase.  

-------------------------

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:56:10 PM
KaiserGX (1)
< Crack Trooper >
Arizona
I wouldn't have ever used the Gamegenie if it didn't already have some codes in it for some games. I just wish more games had more codes. Some of them have like 2 or none. At least you don't have to plug in another device and codes are easy to get online with mobile phones now. Cheat codes are kind of something I miss, there aren't really cheats like this today anymore.

Check out my gaming/drawing channel over at https://www.youtube.com/c/KaiserGX, thanks!

Nov 17, 2016 at 3:18:11 PM
ookii_risu (66)
(Tonya B) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Really enjoying it. The main reason I got it was the Scoreboard and have had a lot of fun with it.

Nov 17, 2016 at 4:03:40 PM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
Is the AVS an emulator or did they actually re-engineer an NES, complete with 6502 processors?

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Nov 17, 2016 at 4:11:30 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: rlh

Is the AVS an emulator or did they actually re-engineer an NES, complete with 6502 processors?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Nov 17, 2016 at 4:11:37 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: rlh

It's an FPGA bunnyboy programmed that duplicates the function of the original NES processors. It's not an emulator, and it's not original hardware. Technically it's a clone, but not the cheap NOAC chips from China that barf on things like Castlevania III.

Nov 17, 2016 at 9:43:37 PM
firebrand (45)
(Alex ) < Meka Chicken >
Tennessee
I got mine in the mail today. I fell in love. 10/10

Nov 18, 2016 at 11:34:03 PM
CrimsonCobra (67)
(Steve O) < Eggplant Wizard >
California
I just got mine a couple days ago. It plays everything (lic, unlic, hacks, whatever)... I seriously love this machine.

Nov 19, 2016 at 3:17:26 AM
KaiserGX (1)
< Crack Trooper >
Arizona
Speaking of AVS is Bunnyboy ever selling the Gameboy Player on NES again?

Check out my gaming/drawing channel over at https://www.youtube.com/c/KaiserGX, thanks!

Nov 20, 2016 at 9:50:32 AM
Mr.collection (16)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Ohio
I just played Recca on the AVS with my PowerPak and extra sprites enabled. It was awesome almost no slow down or flickering.

Nov 20, 2016 at 1:10:41 PM
KaiserGX (1)
< Crack Trooper >
Arizona
I played Fester's Quest the same with. No more half of his body missing ever-time I shoot lol!

Nov 20, 2016 at 6:27:58 PM
firebrand (45)
(Alex ) < Meka Chicken >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: Mr.collection

I just played Recca on the AVS with my PowerPak and extra sprites enabled. It was awesome almost no slow down or flickering.

the only game so far i've encountered "slow down" is with mega man 3. wonderful console!

Nov 20, 2016 at 6:41:07 PM
uatudawatcha (2)
(Ernie ) < Crack Trooper >
Delaware
Love my AVS

Nov 20, 2016 at 8:48:28 PM
CMR (4)
< El Ripper >
United States
Has anybody else played Commando? I know it's already a buggy game, but it seems to get worse on the AVS. Mine freezes up when I use the built in turbo fire.

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:27:30 AM
Crazy4NES (40)
(B ) < Meka Chicken >
Massachusetts
I tested out my AVS this weekend with RBI Baseball, Mike Tyson's Punch Out, and Super Mario 3. Things I noticed right away. Lots of blurring/ghosting when you have fast moving objects on the screen like a baseball being thrown in RBI Baseball. I also noticed that on SMB3 the background in some areas got really blurry almost like a ghosting effect. It was really noticeable on stages like (World 1-4) where you have the floating blocks you have to jump onto to move throughout the stage. MTPO seemed to work flawlessly. Anyone else have any of these issues? Can I do anything to fix it? My TV is 720P and runs at 60Hz.

Completed - 676/677 US NES NTSC

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:30:10 AM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Originally posted by: Crazy4NES

I tested out my AVS this weekend with RBI Baseball, Mike Tyson's Punch Out, and Super Mario 3. Things I noticed right away. Lots of blurring/ghosting when you have fast moving objects on the screen like a baseball being thrown in RBI Baseball. I also noticed that on SMB3 the background in some areas got really blurry almost like a ghosting effect. It was really noticeable on stages like (World 1-4) where you have the floating blocks you have to jump onto to move throughout the stage. MTPO seemed to work flawlessly. Anyone else have any of these issues? Can I do anything to fix it? My TV is 720P and runs at 60Hz.

I am not a TV expert, but I have always heard that 60hz is not recommendable for playing games or viewing sports. Hopefully someone with some real knowledge on TV's can chime in on this.  

Nov 21, 2016 at 10:18:06 AM
Crazy4NES (40)
(B ) < Meka Chicken >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Mega Tank

I am not a TV expert, but I have always heard that 60hz is not recommendable for playing games or viewing sports. Hopefully someone with some real knowledge on TV's can chime in on this.  

Well, from the specs of the AVS I was reading it's best to be played on a 720P 60Hz TV. I could be wrong? 

Nov 21, 2016 at 10:21:28 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
What TV is it? Type and make/model?

Nov 21, 2016 at 10:54:20 AM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States

Well, from the specs of the AVS I was reading it's best to be played on a 720P 60Hz TV. I could be wrong? 

Like I said, I am no TV expert. I play my AVS on a Plasma and I enjoy it. I have seen a bunch of AVS videos etc, but maybe all the details fly by me or maybe I do not notice. Like I said hopefully someone chimes in.  

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:50:08 PM
Crazy4NES (40)
(B ) < Meka Chicken >
Massachusetts

Like I said, I am no TV expert. I play my AVS on a Plasma and I enjoy it. I have seen a bunch of AVS videos etc, but maybe all the details fly by me or maybe I do not notice. Like I said hopefully someone chimes in.  

Good stuff. I enjoy mine as well. Maybe someone will have a fix on this issue or see if someone else is experiencing this? 

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:51:21 PM
Crazy4NES (40)
(B ) < Meka Chicken >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Tulpa

What TV is it? Type and make/model?

Sony Bravia KDL-40V4100 720p 60Hz. 

Nov 21, 2016 at 10:09:59 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
That model number decodes to a 1080p TV.

Though that shouldn't make too much of a difference.

https://docs.sony.com/release/KDL...

Okay, page 33 of the manual. Turn Motion Enhancer to "off." See if that helps.

Edited: 11/21/2016 at 10:12 PM by Tulpa

Nov 21, 2016 at 10:47:47 PM
Crazy4NES (40)
(B ) < Meka Chicken >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Tulpa

That model number decodes to a 1080p TV.

Though that shouldn't make too much of a difference.

https://docs.sony.com/release/KDL40V4100.pdf

Okay, page 33 of the manual. Turn Motion Enhancer to "off." See if that helps.

Ahhh..I'll try that.