Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

PAYPAL Gift (Friends/Family) Payment Warning! Nintendoage STRONGLY Recommends you don't use this method SEE OUR SITE RULES

Jan 13, 2012 at 3:58:47 PM
cartman (16)
(The Boss) < King Solomon >
Sweden
Is the "gift" metod US-exclusive or something? I live in Sweden and it isn't offered here.

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:39:25 PM
Dennis (70)
(Dennis ) < Kraid Killer >
Netherlands
No, we can do it also over here in the Netherlands..

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:22:42 PM
cartman (16)
(The Boss) < King Solomon >
Sweden
Originally posted by: Dennis

No, we can do it also over here in the Netherlands..

Could you tell me step by step where you click?

Apr 23, 2012 at 1:03:15 AM
80sFREAK (0)

(x x) < Tourian Tourist >
Japan
There is lots of places, where "gift" not avaliable.
2.9%??? 3.6% plus fixed fee 30cents. Now calculate, how much you will get by selling $1 item.

-------------------------

Apr 23, 2012 at 9:50:32 AM
pats1717 (894)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
2.9% is in the USA. If you're selling $1 items online you're not going to make much

May 9, 2012 at 2:30:53 PM
Brainiac 8 (2)
(Chad Hudgins) < Cherub >
United States
I haven't used Paypal too much yet so I'm slightly confused. What is the difference between a gift payment and just sending money through Paypal?

May 9, 2012 at 2:31:50 PM
mcetak8 (100)
(-- Kate --) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
^ With a gift, the seller won't have to pay any fees. But there's also no buyer protection, so you could get screwed if you deal w/ the wrong person.

Jun 24, 2012 at 10:00:30 AM
gameremporium (21)
(J C) < Eggplant Wizard >
Tennessee
payment owed is also like sending a "gifted" payment so try that

Jun 25, 2012 at 2:07:07 AM
FrankTank (5)
(Frank ) < Little Mac >
Ohio
Originally posted by: JohnnyBlaze1986

For the record, I ask people to use gift payments because of PayPal's fees.

To any future customers(because I know me and they'll probably be a lot more to get rid of), I PREFER PayPal gift payments. If you don't want to do that, let me know and I'll work at it the regular way. I've never ripped anyone and I won't start now. I'm clarifying this because I'm technically a new user and I want you to shop with confidence from me.

My thoughts exactly. I prefer (and mostly use) gifted paypal as my #1 choice in sending/receiving payments. I have done hundreds of transactions on GameTZ and been alright. Granted most of the time I either gift to a member with reputable feedback, or I receive my end first. I will continue to use gifted paypal, but anyone who doesn't feel safe using it doesn't have to. I'm always willing to use paypal the "right" way as long as the fees are covered on your end (if your buying something from me)

All my items -------> http://gametz.com/usertab/Frank/t...

Edited: 06/25/2012 at 02:07 AM by FrankTank

Jun 25, 2012 at 2:23:53 AM
alekx (108)
(Alexander Kong) < Bowser >
Alberta
When i send gifted payments there is still a fee (coming from canada to usa) but it gives me the choice to cover the fee or the seller, so I cover the fee. 9 times out of 10 I will send as a gift but whenever you get that "proceed with caution" feeling deep down just send as regular so your protected.

Jul 3, 2012 at 10:48:07 AM
lollymagoo (0)
(lolly moffat) < Tourian Tourist >
United Kingdom
that fee calculator thingy is fun!

if you don't remember it, it didn't happen..

Jul 25, 2012 at 8:14:10 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Can we all agree that these should be called Personal Payments? At least this is how it is on my account. Gift is just one of the few preset reasons you can give for sending the payment.

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:05:39 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Bump for the sticky.

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:12:49 AM
Reloaded85x (20)
(Reli XXX) < Eggplant Wizard >
Indiana
Thanks for the info!

Nov 11, 2012 at 5:22:42 PM
Kenred2 (1)
< Cherub >
New York
This is the first time I have heard of this, it's no wonder the person I wanted to purchase the item from is cautious about it. Being a first time member here in this site, I never heard that sending payments under gift could potentially scam people, I'd personally thought it would save money from the Paypal fees! Seeing anyone get scammed for it definitely leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but it is understandable.

Nov 14, 2012 at 6:17:44 PM
mattplex (33)
(Matt B) < Meka Chicken >
Alberta
Who usually pays for the paypal cut% of a gift? Cause I have been doing it all the time lol

My current SNES collection.

http://my.puregaming.org/?u=89210619

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:00:16 PM
ap123 (65)
(Andrew P) < Meka Chicken >
New York
@mattplex, the buyer pays the fees when a payment is gifted. Gift payments do not circumvent PayPal fees, just shift the burden to the buyer. If I'm asked to gift payment, I usually offer to add the fees to the total and pay by the normal method. The cost to me is the same, but I get PayPal's protection.

My 2 cents worth is that 3% is pretty reasonable to have the funds transferred instantly. If a seller really want to avoid fees, they should ask for a check in the mail. Banks offer very similar protection for purchases, but it would be a minimum 5 day turn around for the funds to clear.

Nov 18, 2012 at 1:46:11 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: ap123

@mattplex, the buyer pays the fees when a payment is gifted. Gift payments do not circumvent PayPal fees, just shift the burden to the buyer. If I'm asked to gift payment, I usually offer to add the fees to the total and pay by the normal method. The cost to me is the same, but I get PayPal's protection.

My 2 cents worth is that 3% is pretty reasonable to have the funds transferred instantly. If a seller really want to avoid fees, they should ask for a check in the mail. Banks offer very similar protection for purchases, but it would be a minimum 5 day turn around for the funds to clear.

That is incorrect for non-credit card and non-international transactions; there is zero fee for gift when it either comes from a bank account or an existing Paypal balance for domestic transactions.

Nov 18, 2012 at 6:52:03 PM
cdamm (2)

(C damm) < Little Mac >
United States
Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

That is incorrect for non-credit card and non-international transactions; there is zero fee for gift when it either comes from a bank account or an existing Paypal balance for domestic transactions.

That is correct. The fast majority of my forum dealings are via pp gift. I never pay a fee on gift (as a buyer) when dealing domestically and/or in the same currency. 

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:15:47 AM
ap123 (65)
(Andrew P) < Meka Chicken >
New York
Originally posted by: cdamm

Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

That is correct. The fast majority of my forum dealings are via pp gift. I never pay a fee on gift (as a buyer) when dealing domestically and/or in the same currency. 

Ah! Apologies for the misinformation. I mainly use a credit card linked to PayPal, so have always incurred fees when gifting payment. Now I understand what all the fuss is about. Thanks for the correction.

Dec 23, 2012 at 2:33:18 PM
knuckles (2)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(knuckles s) < Tourian Tourist >
Ontario
very good to know and 3% is fairly reasonable

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:44:15 AM
NESCloneGuy (2)
(Mike Hatkevich) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
Seller fees are Cost of Doing Business. I have no problem taking legitimate payments with fees to secure myself and buyer.

I like playing games when I get the time. It's not all too common. My other pasion is thrifting, so sometimes I pick up games, to play, to sell, whichever.

Click >HERE< for my items for sale.
Carts and Accessories for NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Game Gear, Genesis, Jaguar, and more!

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:53:44 PM
jamisonia (1)

(Jamison Gillespie) < Cherub >
Virginia
Gift payments can also be used as a scam against the seller. A buyer can send gift payments out, then later contact PayPal stating someone hacked their account and they don't know who these people are that were sent gifts. PayPal will then contact the seller and ask how they personally know the gifter, and understand circumstances the gift was given. Obviously PayPal is demanding this immediately, and if this is several months after the transaction the seller is unlikely to know personal details about the buyer. Failing to give correct details PayPal will then immediately side with the buyer subtracting the money from the sellers account. This happened to a member on Racketboy. So Sellers and Buyers remember, PayPal protection is only available if you're paying PayPal fees.

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:47:01 PM
Benihana (154)
(Don't Stop Believin!) < Master Higgins >
Washington
Friendly bump reminder that even gifting a long time member with 300+ transactions can take your money too.
Make sure if you gift somebody, you are not upset when the money actually becomes a gift to them!

My Biggest Fear is...She Sells my Games for the Amount I told her I paid for them.

Vintage.Nintendoage.com for LIFE!

May 25, 2013 at 7:54:55 PM
User123 (61)

< Lolo Lord >
Nevada
Just wondering If asking to gift or add for pp fees is still not allowed