Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Are threads locked too easily? Not a call out

LOCKED TOPIC

May 15, 2017 at 2:07:37 PM
Gex (42)
(Ryley Rolls ) < El Ripper >
Alberta
Good thing this was locked, things were getting pretty out of hand ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓

Nah I love MattBep. But all jokes aside, why are threads here locked so easy? I'll be reading something like this only to find out it's been locked ↓ ↓  God forbid someone contiunes that conversation about SNES zip ties!!!

This has happened a few times now, but I thought this example was silliest.

I'm well aware of the signifigance about locking certain threads:
Meaningless slander, fallacies, aggresiveness, repetitious topics, relevancy, (vinces garage sale), breaking rules ect..

After reading the rules I dont see any edge for that topic to be locked..

-------------------------
  <<< Buying TurboGrafx 16 

May 15, 2017 at 2:08:03 PM
Gex (42)
Alberta
MattBep. Even if you were right about the zip ties, could we have discussed his situation further? He had an interesting post. I'm sure he didn't create his topic just to have u say "no" then lock it.

And that wasn't even his only question if you read his entire post lol

<<< Buying TurboGrafx 16 

May 15, 2017 at 2:11:59 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
It was a troll post by a troll.

May 15, 2017 at 2:15:23 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
How is this not a call out?? You question a decision made by NA staff, and specifically direct it a an individual. That's pretty much the definition of a call out.

You must have missed the rule about trolling in your research. I suggest you do a little more digging into the types of posts the OP in your example makes before deciding to 'not' call out one of the the NA staff.

May 15, 2017 at 2:15:29 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: barrelsAndRivets

It was a troll post by a troll.
yep. 

There ya go Gex, got your answer. Lockerup!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

May 15, 2017 at 2:16:44 PM
dr.robbie (175)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri
Very easily a troll post and bad example.

Some threads are locked too quickly and maybe even preemptively, but that really isn't one of them.

Let's Go Penguins!

May 15, 2017 at 2:19:08 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
To be fair, I was going to lock it when I saw it at 7AM but was lazy but didn't want to be the bad guy. And sure enough, the locker is getting some flak...

As an FYI, Tubeboy has been warned NUMEROUS times about posting blatant troll threads. This isn't reddit or GameFAQs. The fact that he's still here shows that we really give warning after warning, though at some point warnings run out.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Edited: 05/15/2017 at 02:19 PM by jonebone

May 15, 2017 at 2:20:24 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Gex

MattBep. Even if you were right about the zip ties, could we have discussed his situation further? He had an interesting post. I'm sure he didn't create his topic just to have u say "no" then lock it.

And that wasn't even his only question if you read his entire post lol

I was just gonna lock and not say anything, but I thought my response added some humor. I made up that fact completely. 

If you have noticed tubeway around before, you will notice that he is here seemingly just to troll and mock collectors. I did not want there to be discussion about a made up story, so he could sit there and continue to laugh at members and make more posts to egg them on.

No hard feelings on the call-out. I don't mind being checked now and then. I maybe would have preferred a PM for a concern, but again, no hard feelings. 

May 15, 2017 at 2:23:11 PM
Gex (42)
Alberta
Originally posted by: B.A.

How is this not a call out?? You question a decision made by NA staff, and specifically direct it a an individual. That's pretty much the definition of a call out.

You must have missed the rule about trolling in your research. I suggest you do a little more digging into the types of posts the OP in your example makes before deciding to 'not' call out one of the the NA staff.

It's the principle, this is not the first thread locked under these circumstances lol
If it was a unique situation I would have just messaged him directly, but since this happends a decent amount I thought it would interesting to post.

He was trolling? I just saw he's had an account since 2009, and was worried about the condition of his sealed SNES CIB

<<< Buying TurboGrafx 16 

May 15, 2017 at 2:26:27 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Check out some of the other threads he's posted

http://nintendoage.com/forum/sear...

Trolling 90% of the time

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

May 15, 2017 at 2:27:12 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California

He was trolling? I just saw he's had an account since 2009, and was worried about the condition of his sealed SNES CIB

Read it again. It's subtle. Then go back through his post history. 

May 15, 2017 at 2:32:59 PM
mikestrife (6)
< Eggplant Wizard >
I thought the first couple paragraphs were funny, but then yeah, once he get's to his actual question, he's just being a ass.

May 15, 2017 at 2:37:27 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
I probably have had too itchy of a trigger finger in the past, especially if it comes to a thread filled with or inviting conflict. If you guys ever think a thread was locked wrongly or too quickly, shoot me a PM. As long as you are not being extremely rude, I'm easy to get along with. I welcome a quick dialogue, and you may show me I was wrong to lock.

Overall though, I'm just looking to do what's best for NA and its members. My actions here are intended to keep everyone as happy as possible and keep this a pleasant place.

May 15, 2017 at 2:37:48 PM
Gex (42)
Alberta
Originally posted by: barrelsAndRivets

Read it again. It's subtle. Then go back through his post history. 

Yeah I didn't think to go Nancy Drew on him, but i'll take your guy's word on it. Troll post then ok.

People do insane stuff, I've heard of people using latex gloves opening minty CIB's. As far as a black light though? I've never heard of it, but it does sound silly.

<<< Buying TurboGrafx 16 

May 15, 2017 at 2:45:27 PM
Rocky (11)
(Rocky ) < Meka Chicken >
New York
That wasn't a troll post...that was quality satire. I guess there are some users here that would get offended by that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

May 15, 2017 at 2:50:31 PM
Loxx O))) (19)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Fat Man Kraid) < Bowser >
Washington
Originally posted by: Rocky

That wasn't a troll post...that was quality satire. I guess there are some users here that would get offended by that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah, but isn't the point of satire to ridicule and point out absurdity?  So if it's satire of the board in general, it's making a negative comment about the community, right?  Thus it would be considered trolling?

Not saying what's right or wrong, just an observation.

May 15, 2017 at 2:51:00 PM
Shell Dante (5)
< Tourian Tourist >
Alabama
I'm with OP. Not referring to that specific thread here, but there's always the possibility of some new piece of information surfacing days/months/weeks/years later that could help further the conversation. Being able to add to a pre-existing thread is nice since you have all the info about a specific topic all in one place rather than scattered here, there, and everywhere.

Again, I'm not specifically referring to the thread mentioned by OP.

May 15, 2017 at 2:58:53 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Shell Dante

I'm with OP. Not referring to that specific thread here, but there's always the possibility of some new piece of information surfacing days/months/weeks/years later that could help further the conversation. Being able to add to a pre-existing thread is nice since you have all the info about a specific topic all in one place rather than scattered here, there, and everywhere.

I can't think of a thread which had a useful discussion come about that was suddenly locked by the mods unless there was some shenanigans going on that needed attention.

May 15, 2017 at 3:02:07 PM
Shell Dante (5)
< Tourian Tourist >
Alabama
Originally posted by: Tulpa

I can't think of a thread which had a useful discussion come about that was suddenly locked by the mods unless there was some shenanigans going on that needed attention.

I'm talking in broad terms and hypotheticals.

May 15, 2017 at 3:03:12 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

Hypothetically, we could all be killed by a huge meteorite.

Until a specific example comes along, I don't think there's a need to worry about it.

May 15, 2017 at 3:08:22 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
VGD (465)
(RL ) < Wiz's Mom >
Michigan

Until a specific example comes along, I don't think there's a need to worry about it.

Oh shit, I'm heading into my danger room!

May 15, 2017 at 3:08:46 PM
Shell Dante (5)
< Tourian Tourist >
Alabama

If a member made a thread about it, I think we do in fact need to worry about it.

Edited: 05/15/2017 at 03:10 PM by Shell Dante

May 15, 2017 at 3:11:56 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

If a member made a thread about it, I think we do in fact need to worry about it.

Except the example he used isn't anything to worry about. It's the mods doing their jobs, shutting down a silly thread by a known troll.

Show one where a productive discussion was cut short and maybe.

Edited: 05/15/2017 at 03:15 PM by Tulpa

May 15, 2017 at 3:30:52 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
What a terrible example.

If you are going to question us, at least come up with a decent example.

May 15, 2017 at 3:33:50 PM
Gex (42)
Alberta
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

What a terrible example.

If you are going to question us, at least come up with a decent example.

I think most people looking at that post without knowing OP would be confused..

<<< Buying TurboGrafx 16