Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join
Jun 22, 2012 at 6:12:39 PM
Xexyz (56)
< Little Mac >
Oregon
Note to mods:  I had no idea which forum area to post this so I put it in gamers gauntlet, everything else, and help wanted.  Please feel free to delete whichever ones are in the wrong areas.  I just want to make sure this gets put in the right place where people will read and respond.  Thanks.

Hello everybody, my name is Trevor and I run Bald Guy Video Games in Portland Oregon.  I have moved up from a 100 square foot office doing only internet sales into an 800 square foot office.  I now have the room to do what I truly want to do and that is to create a video game lounge of sorts and host retro game tournaments.  I am still remodeling and getting everything in place so I don't have pics or anything to show quite yet, but it will be neat when it's done and I can fit easily 20 people at once with couches, comfy chairs, and barstools next to 2 dedcated neogeo cabinets that I bought so people can play on that for either tournaments or freeplay between rounds.

The reason for the posting is not to boast though, I am looking for help in how to set up the game tournaments.  I am just curious if anyone else does this a lot and has experience setting the tournaments up so that they are fun, but don't run overlong or anything like that.  I am looking for advice on game choices such as which games are the best to do.  I have a large inventory of various systems and games so I can make most anything happen within reason.  One thing I want to do is an 8 player saturn bomberman tournament for instance and I can do that.  I want to include NES and other earlier systems as well. 

Also how to do sign ups online efficiently since I don't have a typical retail space where I have walk in traffic.  My customers are going to be my regulars or people that find me online so I need my tournament sign ups to be online based and allow me to take payment for the tournaments.  I could just add a page to my website with tournament info and paypal links for sign up, but I don't know if that is really the best way to go about it.  Maybe a separate wordpress site or something?  I have googled tournament sites, but they are all sports based and don't seem to offer what I need.

Tournament structure is probably the least important thing I need help with because unless the game doesn't call for it I want to always do double elimination so that people really get their money's worth and have 2 chances to win if they have a bad round.  Some games this might make the tournament too long and I know people hate when tournaments lag on forever.  Please do give me any pearls of wisdom you have on tournament structure especially for retro games.

My main business is my web store and internet sales and I hope this will not only bring in extra revenue, but also give people a place to come and play games that isn't a store with wall to wall video games and retail shelves.  More like a cool place to hang out and play competitive games with other people and enjoy drinks and snacks and have the opportunity to buy games, accessories, and systems if they want without it being in their face all the time.

Ok I have said enough, I am thankful for any responses you can give me.

Edited: 06/16/2013 at 05:35 PM by Xexyz

Jun 22, 2012 at 9:00:51 PM
GhostNinja (28)
(Josh B.) < El Ripper >
United Kingdom
I may be able to get some answers for you tomorrow, as I need to go to sleep. I know someone that runs a local fighting game tournament around here so I may be able to get some advice from them for you.

Edited: 06/23/2012 at 06:58 AM by GhostNinja

Jun 22, 2012 at 9:37:05 PM
JKeefe56 (55)
(Jim K) < Meka Chicken >
New York
A good promotional idea for it could be a "high score" running tournament. People who come in the store can get a play at Tetris or something that doesn't take too long with every purchase. High score gets a gift certificate for either an amount or a % off. Winners could be announced at the weekly tournament.

-------------------------
This space intentionally left mostly blank.

Jun 23, 2012 at 3:10:30 PM
Xexyz (56)
< Little Mac >
Oregon
Ghostninja: Thanks so much for the offer and if you get some info I would certainly love to hear anything you have to say.

JKeefe56: I had someone else say something similar to what you said and I think it's a great idea that I didn't think of till I asked around. You however brought a new idea to it though by announcing at a weekly tournament, but it would have to be a regular that wins and not a random walk in customer for that to work. I could use it as a way to get more people to come though so you never know. "We'll be announcing the winners at the tournament so come on by and see if you won and maybe play in 1 or 2 of them." Have to work on that pitch, haha! It could work though. Thanks for the idea.

Jun 30, 2012 at 2:51:47 PM
thegnome (32)
(david shivley) < Eggplant Wizard >
Florida
What are you thinking about doing for the prizes? After all, *that* is what draws a crowd... and if it's cash, or even store credit, you wanna make sure you get ahold of a tax attorney and see what sort of forms need to be filed for all of it. I've never done videogame tourneys, but I ran/judged Magic: The Gathering tournaments for years.

I've stopped collecting... and now everything is UP FOR GRABS!

What do I have FOR SALE today???

Jun 30, 2012 at 3:23:05 PM
Xexyz (56)
< Little Mac >
Oregon
thegnome: My prizes would vary by the tournament or week. I have lots of interesting swag that I can put up for prizes. I might do a large big ticket prize once in a while if I want to run an "epic" tourny. Most of the time though it would be for cash or store credit. I'm thinking initially giving 50%-70% of the entry cost back to the top 2 or 3 winners of a tourny depending on how many show up with store credit mixed in at times. I still have to flesh this part out. From what I know though i'm not running a raffle and skill based events are not subject to the no purchase necessary or other gambling laws because it's not up to the gods if you win or not (although some gamers may disagree, heh) and it's within your own power.

Basically I have to see how much an average tourny will draw first by doing normal prizes then from there adjust accordingly. If you have any suggestions though i'm obviously all ears because nothing is written in stone for me which is why i'm here asking for advice from other retro people like yourself. Thanks for responding.

Jun 30, 2012 at 3:45:43 PM
JC-Dragon (0)
(JC Childs) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
make sure you mix up the gameplay. constantly doing fighting tournys over and over becomes stagnant. have platformers, racing etc. And even then you could mix it up too. such as a platformer, you could do time attacks or even highscore. this would test different skills. some people are good at going fast through a level but not so good at getting points (such as coins or rings) and would force people to play differently. you could even set it up to a time limit on getting points such as how many points you could get in 5 or 10 min. or even how far you could get. constantly changing your games will also attract different kinds of gamers. some only play fighting, others do FPS, or sports, etc. so having as many choices as possible over a period of time will bring new customers together. Also I would do a simple entry fee ($5 is more than enough) and winner takes so much of the pot, second gets so much and 3rd gets a little) and the rest can go to the store. ex: 1st place takes 50%, second gets 25%, and 3rd gets 15%, this leaves 15% for you to use to improve your store.

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus
- Mark Twain

Jun 30, 2012 at 3:57:15 PM
Xexyz (56)
< Little Mac >
Oregon
jc-dragon: Thanks a ton for those helpful tips. I had pretty much the same idea, but just hearing(reading) someone else saying that is very nice. I didn't think about varying the types of play in the same genre. It just never occurred to me that fighting games for instance could be played with score in mind instead of a gladiator fight. I never look at scores in those games. I do agree with switching things up a lot. That's also for my benefit because I get bored seeing the same thing over and over again. I never played competitively as a kid, mainly just rpgs, but I loved watching my friends play in tournaments and just with each other. I guess that's why opening up a store this way fits so well with me.

Also your breakdown of prize dispersion is probably more realistic. Luckily the tournaments aren't the main source of revenue so I should treat it as such and use it mainly to get people in the store and get my name out to people who want to buy from the store since that is where the real money is for me. I was initially thinking $10, but $5 certainly is more palatable however I could do $10 if I included some drinks and other things, but might be better to keep that separate.

You have given me a lot to think about and that's why I came here. Thanks again.

Jun 30, 2012 at 4:12:31 PM
JC-Dragon (0)
United States
you'd be surprised at how differently games could be managed in a tourny. Most competitive gamers play to beat a level but many have a hard time with a change up and makes it easier for a casual gamer to compete.

And yes I would keep drinks and snacks separate charges. But if you do sell them you'll have to check local health food laws. They have regulations on if they are shelf stable how they are to be stored, etc. and also if tax is applicable. Here in NV the tax law states that food is not to be taxed unless it is meant for immediate consumption. this gets skewed. such as a bottle of water at the store is tax free but the same bottle of water from McDonald's is taxable. it's weird. And if you have a vending machine you may need to health department out once a year to make sure that the food is being kept at an appropriate temp, and is clean, etc.

- Mark Twain

Jul 1, 2012 at 1:21:02 PM
Xexyz (56)
< Little Mac >
Oregon
jc-dragon - good point on being careful with that stuff. I would only be offering water and soft drinks from a beverage fridge that my wife got me for my 30th birthday. It's really nice, but fits more in a store than my man cave because of it's size. Food snacks would be limited to chips and other things that don't need preparation. Thankfully for tax liability I live in oregon where we don't have sales tax so I don't have to keep track of that with snack and drink sales. I should make double sure on everything though and I appreciate that you brought that up. I would hate to get in trouble because of some stupid little thing that causes me thousands in penalties.

Jul 1, 2012 at 1:51:24 PM
JC-Dragon (0)
United States
yeah, I work in a kitchen and even things like a vending machine can cause the health inspector to flip out. but usually shelf stable things aren't a big deal, they just come and look to make sure it's working right and is clean and leave. no real inspection needs to happen. But still check on it.

- Mark Twain