Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2013 Weekly Contest Presents: Bases Loaded Contest ends Sunday, 8/11/13 at 10 PM NA time

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:05:04 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Hello everyone and welcome to the latest installment of the weekly contests!  Summer is in full swing, and before you know it, the baseball playoffs will be here.  Speaking of baseball, this week's game is going to be Bases Loaded.  In the past with a lot of sports games, we have had a rule in place where your score is the differential between your score and the computer's (ex. you win 7-3 so your score for the contest would be 4).  This time around, I'm gonna try something different.  Here are the rules:

• Start a game in Pennant Mode
  • Play as whichever team you choose
  • You must play a whole game
  • Score as many runs as possible (NOTE: you do not have to win the game. If you lose to the computer, you can still submit a score)
  • In the event of a tie, beating the opponent takes precedence over losing to them
  • In the further event of a tie, the earliest inning in the game with the most runs scored takes precedence (ex. two people tie with 6 runs scored. One person scores 4 runs in the 2nd, 1 run in the 5th, and 1 run in the 8th. The second person scores 5 runs in the 1st and 1 run in the 6th.  The second person's score would take precedence because they scored more runs earlier in the game than the first person)
  • Most runs scored in a game wins
  • GENRE: Sports

The contest ends Sunday, 8/11/13 at 10 PM NA time.  Your user name MUST be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun

-------------------------

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 08/11/2013 at 10:15 PM by bimmy_lee

Aug 5, 2013 at 2:21:13 AM
TheGameBastard (25)
(Nick Kodada) < Meka Chicken >
Minnesota
Noob to the contest here. Ended up with 12 runs. Man, I haven't played this game in I bet 20 years!

Help me complete my U.S. released COMPLETE IN BOX Virtual Boy game set!   
*Nester's Funky Bowling*
*Vertical Force*
*Galactic Pinball*
*Golf*
*Also after VB box with or with out system*
Check out my "Pick ups" thread! 

Aug 5, 2013 at 2:23:45 AM
EoTN (9)
(Eskimo Of The Night) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
I am so very bad at sports games... participation point here we come!

Aug 5, 2013 at 7:31:14 AM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland
That's just great... At least it isn't what you americans call "football"

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:28:28 AM
Logo1285 (14)
(Christopher Loggia) < Kraid Killer >
Florida
Yup, participation point for me. Hahahaha

Aug 5, 2013 at 3:22:28 PM
fatalfuryspecial (31)
(cool shooter spaceship) < El Ripper >
Texas
i havent played this game before. made some mistakes in this game but i think i finally have all the buttons figured out.
basesloaded1

Aug 5, 2013 at 3:26:29 PM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
now i have to go get a copy of this...good thing i know where like 4000 of them are

Aug 5, 2013 at 7:06:04 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Got the leaderboard posted for the second half as well as the Arcade genre leaderboard. Also cleaned up the Leaderboard Thread a little bit. Moved all the first half leaderboards to the bottom of the thread in their own post so they aren't cluttering up the second half stuff. Also created an "Awards" post which shows the Summer Tournament winners and their prizes, plus all the winners of the 1st half icons. Check it all out in the Leaderboard Thread

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Aug 5, 2013 at 7:15:47 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

Got the leaderboard posted for the second half as well as the Arcade genre leaderboard. Also cleaned up the Leaderboard Thread a little bit. Moved all the first half leaderboards to the bottom of the thread in their own post so they aren't cluttering up the second half stuff. Also created an "Awards" post which shows the Summer Tournament winners and their prizes, plus all the winners of the 1st half icons. Check it all out in the Leaderboard Thread

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&th...

Woo hoo! You da man!

Aug 5, 2013 at 7:49:04 PM
ag1052 (36)
(Alex Guerra) < Meka Chicken >
Texas
Ok Ive never played this game before today and man do I stink at it... Im lucky if I get a guy on first. If I post a score of 0 do I still get participation credit?

Aug 5, 2013 at 8:05:34 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
^Yes, you will still get credit.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:03:54 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
I played the hell out of this as a kid. With lots of people saying they've never played this....maybe I have a shot at winning one of these for once. Lol.

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:12:19 PM
ag1052 (36)
Texas
I couldnt get the hang of knowing when to swing. For a game called BASES LOADED I really had a hard time getting anyone on base.

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:42:16 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Originally posted by: gutsman004

I played the hell out of this as a kid. With lots of people saying they've never played this....maybe I have a shot at winning one of these for once. Lol.

I played this one quite a bit as a kid too and it has always been my favorite baseball game on the NES.  I remember playing it with my dad one time and he hated the controls so much he bought me Bases Loaded 3 and tried to convince me to get rid of the first one lol.  Even though the first one is my favorite, I still loved playing the third one as a kid too.  I used to love playing as the edit team and beefing up all the players and crushing the opposition like 17-0 lol.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Aug 6, 2013 at 1:11:36 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

I played this one quite a bit as a kid too and it has always been my favorite baseball game on the NES.  I remember playing it with my dad one time and he hated the controls so much he bought me Bases Loaded 3 and tried to convince me to get rid of the first one lol.  Even though the first one is my favorite, I still loved playing the third one as a kid too.  I used to love playing as the edit team and beefing up all the players and crushing the opposition like 17-0 lol.

This is probably my 3rd or 4th favorite baseball game behind RBI Baseball,Bad News Baseball,and maybe Baseball Simulator 1.000. I have a few days off,so I'll definitely be putting in a lot of time into this.

Aug 6, 2013 at 6:59:39 AM
Caleb47 (48)
(Steve S.) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
Used to play this one alot but man, that strike zone is just terrible.

Edited: 08/06/2013 at 06:59 AM by Caleb47

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:30:36 AM
coyoteslash (4)
< Little Mac >
Wisconsin
I'm more of a Baseball Stars kind of guy, but did play this one a lot in my youth as well. Might be able to make up some ground this week.

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:00:22 PM
EoTN (9)
(Eskimo Of The Night) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
So, I'm a bad baseball player. On my first game, The other team scored twenty eight runs. I've gotten better, but on the first inning of my best game yet, the other team still scored nine runs. Suffice to say, I'm a bad pitcher.

Aug 7, 2013 at 1:23:42 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: EoTN

So, I'm a bad baseball player. On my first game, The other team scored twenty eight runs. I've gotten better, but on the first inning of my best game yet, the other team still scored nine runs. Suffice to say, I'm a bad pitcher.

It takes some time getting used it. To me,Bases Loaded isn't one of those baseball games with a tiny/no learning curve. It's still a great game though and at the time,THE game to play if you wanted a baseball video game with some realism.

Aug 7, 2013 at 7:05:49 PM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Here is my score

I scored 13
but
i also didnt get a 9th inning due to me kicking their ass

so is there anything to account for this or factor this in? like perhaps points beaten by, etc?

as i could have just started to loose on purpose in the 7th or 8th, but i feel like that takes away from what this contest actually is

thoughts?

let me also say, i really appreciate the weekly contest and do not mean to turn this into a bitchfest or complain. it was just a thought i had

Aug 7, 2013 at 10:34:54 PM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania

Originally posted by: EoTN

It takes some time getting used it. To me,Bases Loaded isn't one of those baseball games with a tiny/no learning curve. It's still a great game though and at the time,THE game to play if you wanted a baseball video game with some realism.

yes

i completely agree

fortunately for me, this was THE baseball game i had when i was a kid and grew up on baseball (my dad was and still is a HUGE fan) so we would play on a very regular basis

my first game it took me some getting use to again and dusting the rust off...but once i remember how everything went/worked, i was good to go...

im going to try and put up a much higher score, as that was only my 2nd game

Aug 7, 2013 at 10:39:35 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
UPDATE: 21 (Perfect Game)

I finally figured out what I was doing as a kid to dominate the game. The game was a perfect perfect game....as in I struck out all 27 batters. Only certain pitchers seem to be able to do it,but I'll tell you what I did so everyone else can do it too.

I selected Boston and my starting pitcher Gross. Don't move on the mound at all and as soon as the pitcher goes into his windup,press and hold right on the control pad. Do that until one out and one strike on the 2nd batter in the 5th inning and then choose the pitcher Bopper. Repeat the same technique. Bam...perfect game. You can also use Bakko if you are worried Bopper will run out of gas at the end. He's fine unless you slip up and throw a ball or two on accident. Bakko is a lefty so you have to press and hold left instead of right. Still works.

Edited: 08/10/2013 at 03:10 AM by gutsman004

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:39:15 AM
ag1052 (36)
Texas
Ok here is my score. 1 Run. the scoreboard looks a little weird cause of extra innings.

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:48:38 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
^You picked my favorite team and pitcher I always play as Boston with Fine as my pitcher. Only problem is that when you pick Boston, you have to go up against Jersey first and their powerhouse slugger in Paste. Seems like that guy hits a home run almost any time he hits the ball, regardless if you're playing as Jersey or if the computer selects them.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:56:06 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

^You picked my favorite team and pitcher I always play as Boston with Fine as my pitcher. Only problem is that when you pick Boston, you have to go up against Jersey first and their powerhouse slugger in Paste. Seems like that guy hits a home run almost any time he hits the ball, regardless if you're playing as Jersey or if the computer selects them.

Not with my strategy he doesn't. Paste is as good as pasted!!! Mwhaha!

Edited: 08/08/2013 at 01:57 AM by gutsman004