Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Muresan selling the famous "Mario" NWC $5k start, auction format

Jan 19, 2014 at 9:06:49 PM
DreamTR (163)
(Jason Wilson) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
It's not shill bidding. Not sure how people always assume that is going on. Muresan fixed the issue, I just told him to block the guys and cancel the bids....

-------------------------
www.gamegalaxyarcade.com...

Jan 19, 2014 at 9:17:41 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: DreamTR

It's not shill bidding. Not sure how people always assume that is going on. Muresan fixed the issue, I just told him to block the guys and cancel the bids....
People just misuse the term shill bidding. It gets used as a catch all for any nonsense bids that aren't legit, be it actual shill bids by the seller or just random people who have no intention of paying.

Jan 19, 2014 at 9:35:10 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Hmm... I see all of the bids have been retracted now. It's a shame that when legit items come up, some people bid it up with nonsense bids that won't ever be paid (think of the Goodwill Blockbuster cart recently).

All the more reason that you see rare items listed BIN / OBO. That way you at least don't have to worry about non-paying joke bidders.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Jan 19, 2014 at 10:30:53 PM
PeteDiak (195)
(Pete Diak) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
I would be surprised if it got a single legit bid. I wouldn't pay 5k for this cart. I doubt anyone would.

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:37:46 AM
DreamTR (163)
(Jason Wilson) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
The game has a lot of history behind it....it was the first NWC for "auction" and it was not even on eBay, it was a newsgroup auction that went for $400 or so many years ago...I think a lot of people who think the cart is like anything else will assume that but it already did sell for more than $5000 years ago TO Muresan in the first place, AND it has exchanged hands twice before that.....just saying....haters and doubters already lost that initial battle.

www.gamegalaxyarcade.com...

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:48:44 AM
cosmicjim (47)

(cosmic jim) < El Ripper >
United States
Rarity sometimes trumps condition.

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:50:58 AM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
Good luck to the seller and any potential buyers.

This game is epic, and I hope it finds a nice new home..

I hope the new original will keep it in its current state.

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:55:47 AM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Dat Condition tho.

Since when was a completely destroyed label, plus pen acceptable?

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:59:42 AM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States
Originally posted by: JosephLeo

Step 1.) Make a reproduction label (mark it as reproduction, everyone will know it's fake anyway)

Step 2.) Take a crappy NES game, remove label.

Step 3.) Cut hole in cart case for DIP Switches

Step 4.) Apply Label.

Step 5.) Insert NWC board in reproduction case

Step 6.) Keep ugly "MARIO" NWC cart hidden SAFELY somewhere.

Step 7.) Congratulations, you own a real NWC for about 50% - 60% of the normal cost!

This is a deal and a half believe it or not.

You are saying buy this copy. Then make an exact reproduction and sell the reproduction while keeping the original?  This a famous NWC and the label isn't 100% removed. To reproduce this exactly wouldn't be easy. Pictures have been floating around for years. 

This does happen in the art world. A forger buys an original with papers. As the known buyer he then sells the forgery with those papers and isn't questioned. Stakes are a bit higher. Millions and not thousands.

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:01:43 AM
th0rpe (36)
(JT ) < King Solomon >
Ohio
I hadn't heard of this cart before, but I find it kind of charming... I mean, at some point someone owned it that thought it was just a strange "Mario" game and had no idea what they had. I think thats kinda cool.

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:04:25 AM
th0rpe (36)
(JT ) < King Solomon >
Ohio
Originally posted by: buyatari2

Step 1.) Make a reproduction label (mark it as reproduction, everyone will know it's fake anyway)

Step 4.) Apply Label.

Step 7.) Congratulations, you own a real NWC for about 50% - 60% of the normal cost!

You are saying buy this copy. Then make an exact reproduction and sell the reproduction while keeping the original?  This a famous NWC and the label isn't 100% removed. To reproduce this exactly wouldn't be easy. Pictures have been floating around for years. 

This does happen in the art world. A forger buys an original with papers. As the known buyer he then sells the forgery with those papers and isn't questioned. Stakes are a bit higher. Millions and not thousands.

That's not what he's saying at all. He's talking about making a new shell just for display purposes, not selling.

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:06:53 AM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

If someone spilled a cup of coffee on the Mona Lisa, you wouldn't see it in a dumpster the next day...

The condition will influence the price for sure, but that doesn't mean it isn't valuable AND desirable.

Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:13:15 AM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: MrMark0673

If someone spilled a cup of coffee on the Mona Lisa, you wouldn't see it in a dumpster the next day...

The condition will influence the price for sure, but that doesn't mean it isn't valuable AND desirable.

I agree 100%.  But I think "damaged" would be more appropriate.  But hey, its just my opinion.

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:15:08 AM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts

I agree 100%.  But I think "damaged" would be more appropriate.  But hey, its just my opinion.
I don't disagree with you, I think your opinion is the popular one.

It certainly is not going to pull the same cash as a copy with the label intact, that's for damn sure.  That being said, there is a market for this copy based on the rarity and desirability of the grey NWC, so it still holds considerable value in its current state.

Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:30:42 AM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States
Originally posted by: th0rpe

Step 4.) Apply Label.

That's not what he's saying at all. He's talking about making a new shell just for display purposes, not selling.

Ugg to each his own I suppose. I'd rather display a poor condition real thing then a copy. If it is just for display purposes then why do you even need a real board? Fake the whole thing.

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:32:25 AM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey

Step 4.) Apply Label.

Dude's got it right here mang.

Make a display shell for it and hide the real one somewhere else. Heck, even throw in a RetroUSB repro in the new shell and you still own a real NWC it's only not displayed

Got any of these for sale? Sell them to me. I also buy other NES Publisher inserts, and even GB/GBC, and SNES inserts too.

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:38:08 AM
EvilEyeball (24)
(Liam Turner) < Kraid Killer >
British Columbia
I bet if every NA member put $1 in to a fund we could afford to get this and then give it to paul

-- Currently Collecting --
Canadian Loose 24/64
First Party NES Accessories: Need only Hands Free Controller

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:39:25 AM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
Originally posted by: DreamTR

The game has a lot of history behind it....it was the first NWC for "auction" and it was not even on eBay, it was a newsgroup auction that went for $400 or so many years ago...I think a lot of people who think the cart is like anything else will assume that but it already did sell for more than $5000 years ago TO Muresan in the first place, AND it has exchanged hands twice before that.....just saying....haters and doubters already lost that initial battle.
Just because someone pays a record high price for something doesn't make that the new value... they could just be a fool with their money.  Look no farther than Omar who paid batshit insane prices on many sealed games and he'll be lucky to even obtain a fraction of their prices back if he sold today. 

Collectors generally have to "overpay" today to pry an item from someone's collection if it is stupidly Mint or stupidly rare.   You can easily look at this from another perspective and say he overpaid then for a "piece of history" and is hoping someone else will overpay now.  But who knows, we'll see what happens.

Edited: 01/20/2014 at 11:39 AM by jonebone

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:42:24 AM
babywuchki (90)
(Chris ) < Kraid Killer >
United States

Step 4.) Apply Label.

Dude's got it right here mang.

Make a display shell for it and hide the real one somewhere else. Heck, even throw in a RetroUSB repro in the new shell and you still own a real NWC it's only not displayed
So why not just buy a RetroUSB copy, save yourself a ton of money, and be done with it? Let someone who would actually appreciate this copy for what it is have it. That's what will happen anyway. No one who would have a problem with the condition of this copy is going to waste thousands of dollars on something they aren't going to be happy with. Personally, I would love to have this copy and would proudly display it the way it is. 

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:43:16 AM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States

I don't disagree with you, I think your opinion is the popular one.

It certainly is not going to pull the same cash as a copy with the label intact, that's for damn sure.  That being said, there is a market for this copy based on the rarity and desirability of the grey NWC, so it still holds considerable value in its current state.

The one thing I do like about this cart is the history. Seeing it for sale and hearing the same arguments makes me think of a time early in videogame collecting. It has since become the Mario copy. I'm not in a position to make the purchase but it is something I would love to own. 

On a related note about damaged art check this story out.

There was a Picasso painting which was damaged prior to the sale. The sale was canceled. It was then repaired and sold for millions more after the repair.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/a...

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:48:12 AM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
So... if we think the Mario NWC should have so much value, then does the Stadium Events with the face cut-out hold a lot of value too? That was one of the first SEs I remember hearing about, though I'm a bit later to the game then many of the vets.

Jan 20, 2014 at 12:09:09 PM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: jonebone

So... if we think the Mario NWC should have so much value, then does the Stadium Events with the face cut-out hold a lot of value too? That was one of the first SEs I remember hearing about, though I'm a bit later to the game then many of the vets.
No idea on that; however, I remember this particular NWC cart from back in the day.  IIRC, it had been on an article on tsr's NES Archives, submitted by a guy named Thomas.  A real nice piece of history, almost legendary in its existance, and I would love to own this one too.

-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpre...

Jan 20, 2014 at 12:32:05 PM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States
Originally posted by: jonebone

Not to me it doesn't. You couldn't duplicate it and it is even hard to explain but this NWC which might have started out as a joke to most has grown on a few of us early birds. When I saw it posted here I smiled. It was like seeing a picture of an old friend. 

Jan 20, 2014 at 6:05:41 PM
MajoraLink (0)

< Tourian Tourist >
It's so well known that it doesn't need a REAL serial number, it already has one spelled M.A.R.I.O .

Jan 20, 2014 at 6:13:28 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: MajoraLink

It's so well known that it doesn't need a REAL serial number, it already has one spelled M.A.R.I.O .

While that's true...it'd be really nice to know which one it is.

I'm pretty sure if someone took a microscope to it you can find traces of ink and figure out the number.

Got any of these for sale? Sell them to me. I also buy other NES Publisher inserts, and even GB/GBC, and SNES inserts too.