Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Music Debate VI: Bruno Mars With poll and ratings explanation

Apr 19 at 6:41:44 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Too many zeros every week. I'm not saying I'm the biggest fan of many of these acts either, but some of you don't appear to know how to read  

I should just remove empire's 10/10 for Linkin Park and the 0/10 he gave everyone else, for obvious trolling  

-------------------------

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Edited: 04/19/2019 at 06:44 PM by Brock Landers

Apr 19 at 9:41:43 PM
Strikezone1 (1)
(Steve ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Michigan
I'm not big on pop/top-40 music in general. l can't say I'm a fan, and I've never bought/downloaded any of his albums. But that said, I think he's a talented artist that's good at what he does. He has a few catchy songs.

Gave him a generous 7.

Apr 20 at 7:35:56 AM
scofficial (0)

< Cherub >
Bruno mars is one of my favorite solo singer and always like to listen his song. his recent song was please me and i am still hearing that song.

Apr 20 at 7:46:45 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

Too many zeros every week. I'm not saying I'm the biggest fan of many of these acts either, but some of you don't appear to know how to read  

Maybe people just don't like the music you're "debating" for?  

I would rather take a cheese grater to my face than listen most of the acts you've listed so far lol

Besides, what's to debate against these acts? People either like them or don't. It's not like this is a "who's the best guitarist off of this list" or anything actually worth debating/discussing.

These honestly feel like "rate the acts I'm kinda into plz" threads. Where's the contrast to argue against? Make a debate pitting 2 bands against each other, like "Who did more for music, Nirvana or RATM?" (FWIW, I hate both of those bands, but would actively participate in a discussion like that).

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Apr 20 at 7:55:25 AM
ifightdragons (7)
< Lolo Lord >
Norway
Originally posted by: rokubungi

2/10 same old Max Martinesque garbage.. or rather he is becoming a second generation of the same school of writing. I'm pretty sure they make 100 versions of a song and triangle test them to find the most consumable variant.

then again the center of my music universe right now is Van Der Graaf Generator and Premiata Forneria Marconi so take my opinion with a grain(shaker) of salt.

Max Martin is one prolific shitmaker, indeed!

I write shorthand reviews of every classic game I beat on The Backloggery, have a look-see.

Apr 20 at 9:46:50 AM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado
Bruno Mars is pretty dope. Gave him a 7 due to the fact that his music is derivative of classic R&B styles. Which is pretty great, just not original. Saw him live at Red Rocks a few years back. Dude can dance like a motherfucker and puts on an incredible show. His stage presence reminds me a lot of James Brown. He tears it up.

Apr 20 at 11:29:41 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Originally posted by: dra600n

I would rather take a cheese grater to my face than listen most of the acts you've listed so far lol

Besides, what's to debate against these acts? People either like them or don't. It's not like this is a "who's the best guitarist off of this list" or anything actually worth debating/discussing.

These honestly feel like "rate the acts I'm kinda into plz" threads. Where's the contrast to argue against? Make a debate pitting 2 bands against each other, like "Who did more for music, Nirvana or RATM?" (FWIW, I hate both of those bands, but would actively participate in a discussion like that).

Nope, already made it clear I was doing acts that I like, don't like, and was meh on.  I honestly had to research Bruno Mars and My Chemical Romance to even know what songs to post.  I hate rap and will be doing one of those soon enough.

And you're wrong.  Every thread so far has gotten multiple votes all along the spectrum.  So people's opinions are all over the map.  Hence me picking these artists.

No, what I was saying was please actually use the ratings key.  If every single artist is one of the "worst ever" according to you, you're doing it wrong.

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak

Edited: 04/20/2019 at 11:54 AM by Brock Landers

Apr 20 at 12:03:56 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Yeah I gave his canny a 4 just strictly for the Motown connection.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Apr 20 at 12:58:01 PM
The Count (106)
(Grant X.) < Lolo Lord >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

Gave him a 5. While not my kind of preferred music, he is good at what he does.

I was going to say the same thing. 

Apr 20 at 1:44:12 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Not a fan. I was about to give a few pity points for being "good at what he does" but then I remembered he did that song called Lazy Song or something, and a 3 feels appropriate. He ought to do better than MCR tho.

Apr 20 at 2:46:33 PM
kguillemette (13)

(Kyle Guillemette) < Meka Chicken >
New Hampshire
8/10. This guy is good. 20 years from now, we will be talking about him as a pop legend.

FT/FS list  ​​​http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Gamecube needs list ​http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Apr 20 at 2:53:01 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut

Originally posted by: dra600n

Nope, already made it clear I was doing acts that I like, don't like, and was meh on.  I honestly had to research Bruno Mars and My Chemical Romance to even know what songs to post.  I hate rap and will be doing one of those soon enough.

And you're wrong.  Every thread so far has gotten multiple votes all along the spectrum.  So people's opinions are all over the map.  Hence me picking these artists.

No, what I was saying was please actually use the ratings key.  If every single artist is one of the "worst ever" according to you, you're doing it wrong.
Keep posting crap bands and we'll keep voting 0 then *shrug*

Can't do it wrong when it's an opinion  

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Apr 20 at 2:57:05 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Silly dra600n, never can play by the rules. As every round of Werewolf always attested  

Most people seem to realize "crap band" translates to a 1, 2, or 3 on the scale.  0 and 10 should be polar opposites on the ends of the spectrum; the best of the best of the best and the worst of the worst of the worst.

You might get a band you like in four weeks. Possibly next week, since I don't actually know what you like.  Possibly in two weeks if you like hip hop.

I'll leave it alone after this, people are free to have fun and do this however they want.  But the ratings are better if everyone is at least on the same page with how they are voting.  Since I plan on doing this indefinitely it's better to point that out now and not later.

Edited: 04/20/2019 at 03:10 PM by Brock Landers

Apr 21 at 4:12:45 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
My Chemical Romance I could see people voting a legit zero on. None of the other ones though.

Apr 21 at 4:52:35 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Originally posted by: pegboy

My Chemical Romance I could see people voting a legit zero on. None of the other ones though.
I could see someone giving Bruno a zero if they were super nonplussed about him borrowing so much style from The Police, Michael Jackson, Bell Biv DeVoe, etc.  Even if most of those old musicians celebrate his throwbacks

Edited: 04/21/2019 at 04:53 PM by Brock Landers

Apr 22 at 6:28:22 PM
kguillemette (13)

(Kyle Guillemette) < Meka Chicken >
New Hampshire
Imo, votes for 10 and 0 shouldn't be counted if unclaimed. Trolling ruins the fun of the poll. If people honestly think an artist is a 10 or 0, I imagine they would be passionate enough about that particular artist either way to comment.😀

FT/FS list  ​​​http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Gamecube needs list ​http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Apr 22 at 6:37:11 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Yeah, just grade on a curve and throw out the extremes unless there's a majority of votes on either. If people want to try to drag down the average because we're not voting on (insert obscure band no one else gives a crap about), their vote can be disregarded.

Edited: 04/22/2019 at 06:42 PM by Tulpa

Apr 23 at 3:06:06 PM
Boosted52405 (487)
(Eric Bizzle) < Bowser >
Iowa
Gave him a 6. He's had a Super Bowl show for cryin out loud - wait did Lady Gaga too?

Regardless, he is a very gifted performer. Not my type of music to get down to, but it's not something I'd sprint to the radio to change either.

P.S. - side note, daycares all over the nation have jammed Uptown Funk like crazy - toddlers love it lol.

Apr 23 at 3:20:20 PM
ZBomber (6)
< El Ripper >
Massachusetts

So it is unlikely that I will ever do dredg or HORSE the Band. 

Personally I'm thankful we're saving dredg from having to be judged by people that think Bruno Mars is a 0 and Linkin Park is a 10.

Apr 23 at 4:53:55 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
I'll probably also throw in some weeks where everyone votes on what artist to do next. Possibly in the next couple weeks.

Apr 23 at 5:54:31 PM
Hoskat (11)
(Matt Hosley) < Eggplant Wizard >
Kentucky
I got to go 10/10. He isn't one of my personal favorite artists but my daughter who is 1 is obsessed. He is definitely one of the most talented artists of this generation:

Name another artist who:

* Writes his own songs and songs that have been hits for others (I want to be a Billionaire for example)
* Has a killer voice
* Can dance as good as any current pop artist
* Puts on insanely entertaining live shows
* Is liked by multiple generations. Kids like him, adults like him, grandparents like him

I definitely understand he isn't everyone's cup of tea but it is hard to deny his popularity and talent.