Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Closed SNES Contest: February - Donkey Kong Country 2 + Super Punch Out Winners - quest4nes - mbd39

Feb 3, 2018 at 7:11:49 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Shrug. I've always loved both Punch-Out and Super Punch-Out.

-------------------------
Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Feb 3, 2018 at 7:13:59 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Well I'll definitely not be topping both leaderboards this month, of this I am certain haha. At the least, I am not very good at Punch Out! xD

Feb 3, 2018 at 7:25:45 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: Gloves

Well I'll definitely not be topping both leaderboards this month, of this I am certain haha. At the least, I am not very good at Punch Out! xD

How far have you gotten? I'm interested in the progress of someone who has never played this before.

Feb 3, 2018 at 7:35:26 PM
Murray (34)
(Count of Tuscany ) < El Ripper >
Colorado
Am I the only one playing DK?  

"Why's that guy wearing a suit to a garage sale?"

Feb 3, 2018 at 7:38:14 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: mbd39

Originally posted by: Gloves

How far have you gotten? I'm interested in the progress of someone who has never played this before.

I've not had much chance to play more. I beat the first two in the next set the other day but I had to go to work so I turned it off.

Feb 3, 2018 at 7:55:44 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: Murray

I played through DKC2 in its entirety once, just a straight playthrough to beat the game, and it was really tough. I've never even played the extra levels such as Animal Antics.

I'm sure that I'd get last place or close to it if I made an attempt so I'm not even going to bother. I'm often intimidated by the SNES contests. I'm more of a NES guy these days.

Edited: 02/03/2018 at 07:59 PM by mbd39

Feb 3, 2018 at 7:59:49 PM
Murray (34)
(Count of Tuscany ) < El Ripper >
Colorado

I played through DK2 in its entirety once, just a straight playthrough to beat the game, and it was really tough. I've never even played the extra levels such as Animal Antics.

I'm sure that I'd get last place or close to it if I made an attempt so I'm not even going to bother. I'm often intimidated by the SNES contests. I'm more of a NES guy these days.

Hey at least you beat it! I will be lucky to even get that far  

"Why's that guy wearing a suit to a garage sale?"

Feb 3, 2018 at 8:04:09 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

I played through DK2 in its entirety once, just a straight playthrough to beat the game, and it was really tough. I've never even played the extra levels such as Animal Antics.

Hey at least you beat it! I will be lucky to even get that far  

To just beat the game isn't too bad if you're persistent since you can save your progress and keep trying.

But beating the game with a high completion percentage in a short amount of time... forget about it.

Feb 3, 2018 at 8:10:09 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

I don't have super punch out so I'll be playing dk  

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Feb 3, 2018 at 8:23:32 PM
themisfit138 (12)
< Meka Chicken >
Indiana
To just beat the game isn't too bad if you're persistent since you can save your progress and keep trying.

But beating the game with a high completion percentage in a short amount of time... forget about it.

Yeah I know, Rickety Race and Bramble Scramble were giving me a hell of a time yesterday

Feb 3, 2018 at 8:38:43 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
I'm definitely gonna play both games. Love the Super Nintendo, so planning to play any games in the contest I have access to.

Feb 3, 2018 at 9:59:30 PM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado

Yup!

Feb 3, 2018 at 11:30:37 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas

no

Not going to bother posting anything that isnt the 102% since Ive done that before in my life. Everyone always says how hard the game is. Its not too bad. I can see for a new player where they might struggle, but its one of those games I dominated during childhood so its like riding a bike for me.

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 02/03/2018 at 11:34 PM by quest4nes

Feb 3, 2018 at 11:31:08 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Originally posted by: Loxx O)))

You guys never having played Punch-Out definitely need to give the NES one a go. I was never particularly fond of Super. A couple years ago I sat and practiced the first 5 or 6 guys regularly trying to get good at the game. I'd check the world records for each character and at the time I was able to get without the same second of them. I really suck as I go on because I never figured out the strategies for everyone. I guess this is the month to commit to it.

I like super punch out way more.

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Feb 3, 2018 at 11:35:08 PM
Loxx O))) (19)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Fat Man Kraid) < Bowser >
Washington
It's a much more technical game and up to this point I haven't bothered learning the mechanics of it. I'm sure I'd have a higher opinion if I figured out how to play it properly. I just really like the pure patterns and reactions of the original (and the remake/sequel/whatever on Wii).

Feb 4, 2018 at 4:11:37 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Man i dominated minor circuit and major circuit without looking up ko's and going on trial and error and time attack practice bald bull bob charlie etc. Got in a solid run about 10k higher than before. I look up a high points run on super punchout to see how high score runs are possible. Ugh gross . Not fun. Going to play dkc more now. High point runs ruin the fun of super punchout. Im not dragging a fight out against bear hugger to 3 timeouts and doing that boring routine losing 3 times. Speed is way more fun on this game. Id rather have a speed time contest with points being a tiebreaker. Fastest times on all fighters would be fun. I went back to the last contests and guts brought up that point too.

1,660,000 is also kinda too high. Im really good at tgis game and for me to get that its just going to be point farming manipulation. Ive played quite a bit the last couple days mowing through the circuits and ive only nudged my score from the 1.31 million to 1.43 million. I was super proud because i dod it without looking anything up. But i got stuck and needed another 230k which is alot, so i looked up just a minor circuit high score run. Bleh no thanks. Im probably done with punchout now.

Its a shame, i was looking forward to this game the most. Points make this one blow. I didnt know losing on purpose timing out and grinding would be a method of winning. And only someone who has mastered this all their lives would have a chance. No way someone will get that level of. Omfort with the game in february without spending all day everyday.

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 02/04/2018 at 04:24 PM by quest4nes

Feb 4, 2018 at 4:27:18 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
You really hate point farming, eh?

Feb 4, 2018 at 5:05:48 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
High score in super punchout isnt fun. This isnt like an nes arcade game like donkey kong or pacman. You wanna spend 20 minutes on bear hugger simple dodging, stunning waiting. Purposely getting hit and losing 3 times to get a highscore have fun. Last i checked you havent even beaten major circuit yet so you probably wont get to that point.

KO'ing people, and lighting them up and stunning them for speed and not getting hit is waaaaaay more fun and the real spirit of the game. Losing to get more points on bear hugger is a broken way to win and dragging out fights isnt fun. This is losing on purpose, letting people hit you so you dont ko them, sitting their waiting and tapping counters. Far worse than hopping on turtles. 

IMO the contest should be a Progression Contest First with tie breaker #1 being times, and then tiebreaker #2 being points. That allows you to A) Beat the game first goal which helps new people, B) people who already can maximize time attack mode, C) for the best of the best if they get the same time (since there are limits t to how fast its possible) which would be crazy then you go to points.

Point farming contests are for stuff like black box games, where the true spirit of the game is points. Super Punchout wasnt a game built around points and point farming. Doing so is just exploits.

Im really talking about the bear hugger exploit. It ruins the points game

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 02/04/2018 at 05:54 PM by quest4nes

Feb 4, 2018 at 6:05:13 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Ok, but this is a competition about getting the highest score

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Feb 4, 2018 at 6:25:12 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Originally posted by: Bert

Ok, but this is a competition about getting the highest score

and thats fine. Just expressing as someone who is really good at the game. It isnt fun that way. Its boring. Not the spirit of the game. Bear Hugger exploitation and drag outs ruin it. Like I said. Should be a competition on A)progression then tiebreaker of time attack times, then second tiebreaker points. That way new people have a goal to beat it first, then they can work on times. Losing on purpose for points isnt fun. You are going to spend half an hour and if you screw up hours on bear hugger. Yay Fun!!!

Im just putting my foot down there. Not doing that. If I play itll be for KOs and to get times down and then doing a run in championship circuit mode with trying to get quick KOs.  Before this competition, I had no clue you could exploit the game with losing for points especially on bear hugger. I thought it was a game built around speed and domination and timing my whole life. Its how everyone has played it their whole lives, and what the main competition online presence is. 

I went back to the last comp for this game thread and gutsman, who won thought the same way. He played for speed domination and times. I agree.

But if thats the way people want to play it fine. I can post a score that would be second place last contest right now and just live with the results. On to DKC 2 which for competition is way more fun with its format. Beating a game 100% the quickest. Super Punchout should always be about speed. Since its tough to beat if youve never played it before then the contest could easily be progression first, then times added up as the tiebreaker. That contest gives everyone of each skill something to strive for since some of us can already easily beat the game.

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 02/04/2018 at 06:42 PM by quest4nes

Feb 4, 2018 at 7:15:50 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
And imnot saying he has to change things. Just trying to have constructive criticism.

Snes games imo werent built around high score goals. Kind of an after thought. Nes games many are built around scores. Snes game have explotations alot of the times and problems with high scores since they were never really the spirits of the game.

When im good at a game i feel an obligation in the contest to help inform what can be done to improve a contest for said game and talk about exploitations

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Feb 4, 2018 at 7:41:23 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: quest4nes

And imnot saying he has to change things. Just trying to have constructive criticism.

Snes games imo werent built around high score goals. Kind of an after thought. Nes games many are built around scores. Snes game have explotations alot of the times and problems with high scores since they were never really the spirits of the game.

When im good at a game i feel an obligation in the contest to help inform what can be done to improve a contest for said game and talk about exploitations

Even many NES games have broken scoring systems with 1up loops and unlimited point pressing. Hence the prevalance of progress/low score contests in the NA weekly contests.

I mean, what's the point of even having a score in a game like Batman when you don't get extra lives from points and you can just stay in one place and grind points forever?

Feb 4, 2018 at 7:57:40 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas

Originally posted by: quest4nes

Even many NES games have broken scoring systems with 1up loops and unlimited point pressing. Hence the prevalance of progress/low score contests in the NA weekly contests.

I mean, what's the point of even having a score in a game like Batman when you don't get extra lives from points and you can just stay in one place and grind points forever?

yeah thats true. In those games points werent the goal anyway. Low Score makes sense in batman, and its still in line with beating the game as the goal and not farming. This game has a timer. Not a fast one like MTPO though. When talking about NES games I was more referring to the black box and arcade ports built around points as the main actual goal of the game and generally loop

Exploit farming and losing on purpose just breaks the spirit of any game to me and its just not fun to play. Super punch out is one of my favorite games. Ive always felt its a game meant to be played for speed in a contest. Bear Hugger exploit isnt hard to do. Just extremely grindy and boring. Dodge Dodge Dodge stun stun, dodge dodge stun stun dizzy, hit hit hit, dodge dodge dodge etc etc. Take hits on purpose get knocked down, dodge dodge dodge stun stun stun stun dizzy, hit hit blah blah time out lose. Repeat 4 times. That takes forever. Maximize a score on gabby jay is boring too. letting him recharge and doing a light knockout and just dizzy stunning him till about a minute in. Hes so slow its just sitting there. Points in this game just feels like an exploit in patience and not skill. The timings of stunning and decking people for speed is hella fun.

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 02/04/2018 at 08:03 PM by quest4nes

Feb 4, 2018 at 10:17:45 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Thank you quest for the the feedback. If there is an overwhelming consensus to change to low times I'd consider it. Since the month is already started I'd hesitate to do that otherwise. Unfortunately these things happen, same thing happens to the NES contest too

Is the problem just Bear Hugger? Seems like you could get a good minor score and say good riddance to that circuit if it's such a problem

And just to get it on the record, I will not exactly have the time to do anything resembling "thorough" testing for Axelay, Knights of the Round, or Sunset Riders either. I imagine all of those will be either low score + progress, or high score

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Feb 4, 2018 at 10:22:13 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

Thank you quest for the the feedback. If there is an overwhelming consensus to change to low times I'd consider it. Since the month is already started I'd hesitate to do that otherwise. Unfortunately these things happen, same thing happens to the NES contest too

Is the problem just Bear Hugger? Seems like you could get a good minor score and say good riddance to that circuit if it's such a problem

And just to get it on the record, I will not exactly have the time to do anything resembling "thorough" testing for Axelay, Knights of the Round, or Sunset Riders either. I imagine all of those will be either low score + progress, or high score

I'd rather just keep it high score this time around.

If anyone has the patience and ability to grind out a huge score then they're welcome to it, IMO. I won't be doing that.