Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"You pay the paypal fees"

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:11:12 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
I think it should be against the NA rules to force buyers to pay the paypal fees if they aren't going to gift the payment. I want to say it's against PayPal's rules anyway, but I see countless "if you aren't going to gift me, you pay the fees".

-------------------------
Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:46:55 AM
farmerdwight (37)
(Dwight Schrute) < Meka Chicken >
California
Originally posted by: dra600n

I think it should be against the NA rules to force buyers to pay the paypal fees if they aren't going to gift the payment. I want to say it's against PayPal's rules anyway, but I see countless "if you aren't going to gift me, you pay the fees".

It's up to the buyer and seller to come to terms they agree on.  If the seller insists that the buyer gift it or else pay the fees, then the buyer can accept or deny.

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:49:18 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: farmerdwight

It's up to the buyer and seller to come to terms they agree on.  If the seller insists that the buyer gift it or else pay the fees, then the buyer can accept or deny.

4.6 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

Or it's just flat out against PayPal's ToS

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:00:58 AM
cosmicjim (47)

(cosmic jim) < El Ripper >
United States
If the seller wants fees covered, then the fees should be in the price of the item. I agree with that Dra6oon guy. It's against paypal's rules.

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:15:50 AM
Zing (23)
(Daniel Corban) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
If that was the rule, what you would likely see happen is people not accepting non-gift payments, period.

Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay...

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:27:11 AM
technicalfoul (26)
(Dylan B-D) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Zing

If that was the rule, what you would likely see happen is people not accepting non-gift payments, period.

Gift payments shouldn't even be allowed unless it's between best buddies or something, in which case paypal fees wouldn't be an issue. If a seller refused to accept a non-gift payment, fine. I doubt they'd be very successful. 

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:46:02 AM
Redivivus (11)
< King Solomon >
Utah
People shouldn't be such tight asses when selling on a site, such as na, that allows you to sell for free.

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:56:10 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana

4.6 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

Great. I wish I'd read this a week ago. I bought a repro for $30, and the seller wanted me to gift him the money, or pay an extra $2 "to cover fees." I didn't reel comfortable doing gift payment, so I just forked over an extra two bucks for an even $32. That said, I'm still happy with my purchase, though I'm currently waiting for him to return feedback.

Maybe NA needs to run a little red warning memo about that on the top of the page. Those usually get people's attention.

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:08:38 AM
cosmicjim (47)

(cosmic jim) < El Ripper >
United States
Originally posted by: stardust4ever

Great. I wish I'd read this a week ago. I bought a repro for $30, and the seller wanted me to gift him the money, or pay an extra $2 "to cover fees." I didn't reel comfortable doing gift payment, so I just forked over an extra two bucks for an even $32. That said, I'm still happy with my purchase, though I'm currently waiting for him to return feedback.

Maybe NA needs to run a little red warning memo about that on the top of the page. Those usually get people's attention.

Unless the calc I used is wrong, fees on $30 are only $1.20 lol.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:17:58 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Aren't fee's only 3%? Even 4% isn't a whole lot.

Better that than the near 20% you get hit with on ebay.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:18:48 AM
Elijah (161)
(John (JD) Heins) < Wiz's Mom >
Iowa
As I seller, just figure out what the paypal fees are ahead of time, and include it in the price.

Problem solved.

I often pay the fees myself as a buyer just to be nice, but I have not seen it required yet during my small number of transactions.

Selling everything.
-------> *Click Here* <--------

God loves everyone

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:38:33 AM
uiengineer (220)
(jeff .) < King Solomon >
Illinois
I don't see a problem with this. This is why a lot of people enjoy selling here (i.e., NO FEES whatsoever). Regardless of any posted rules, I think that it should be up to the seller and buyer. The whole gift payment thing is a risk. So, if a buyer doesn't want to take that risk, then pay the 3% as an "insurance" to make them feel better. I personally have no problem paying gift to established members. If I think someone seems shady or is a newer member, I have no problem forking over the additional 3%

Edited: 02/10/2013 at 11:41 AM by uiengineer

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:37:00 PM
SpacemanSpiff (20)
(Calvin Hobbes) < Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
Originally posted by: JD

As I seller, just figure out what the paypal fees are ahead of time, and include it in the price.

Problem solved.

I often pay the fees myself as a buyer just to be nice, but I have not seen it required yet during my small number of transactions.
I think this sums up the entire problem, well said. The rest is just minutia.

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:55:08 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
MY PERSONAL OPINION- Wholeheartedly agree with dra600n; it just makes the seller look like a horrible cheapass to say "gift or add x%". Build it into your fucking price ahead of time.

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:57:22 PM
behemos (126)
(Endless Mike) < Lolo Lord >
Maryland
Paying the fees doesn't bother me at all. I get much better deals on here than eBay, so a few extra bucks here and there are of little significance to me. I just figure the seller can set their terms, and if I don't like them, I move on.

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:21:05 PM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
I agree with dra600n. I have had a few people ask me for gift payment and if I dont then they ask me to cover the paypal fees. Its like slapping your own hidden fee within the transaction, and sucking as much extra cash out of a buyer, even though you may already have a set price. By selling on Nintendo Age there already saving ebay fees (which are alot more then paypal), asking for gift is kinda gready. It becomes a great deal for the seller and longer so great for buyer.

Playas Guide Logo

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:41:57 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
The issue I have is that most of the people who are asking for the buyer to cover the fees are generally the ones who are right there with ebay prices to begin with. On top of that, no other place on the internet charges the buyer for paypal fees.

Quit being a cheap fucker and either price accordingly or don't sell. I think if people are going to ask for the buyer to pay the paypal fees, the Dain should ask each seller to give NA 15% of their sales.

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:35:05 PM
technicalfoul (26)
(Dylan B-D) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
This is a case of where buyers should just refuse to pay fees or gift, EVER. It should be a set price, and if they agree to a gift payment then the price can be dropped a few percent, not the other way around. There is no way that a gift payment should be the default.

The buyer should have more power in this situation. As dra600n said, nowhere else charges buyers for fees. Next time I go into a game store I'll offer to throw in a bit extra to cover some of their business expenses too. Debit and credit costs more to the merchant than cash, but do places penalize you for using debit? 99% of the time, no, and when they do it's usually that you get a discount for paying in cash, not an extra charge for paying with debit.

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:51:22 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: technicalfoul

This is a case of where buyers should just refuse to pay fees or gift, EVER. It should be a set price, and if they agree to a gift payment then the price can be dropped a few percent, not the other way around. There is no way that a gift payment should be the default.

The buyer should have more power in this situation. As dra600n said, nowhere else charges buyers for fees. Next time I go into a game store I'll offer to throw in a bit extra to cover some of their business expenses too. Debit and credit costs more to the merchant than cash, but do places penalize you for using debit? 99% of the time, no, and when they do it's usually that you get a discount for paying in cash, not an extra charge for paying with debit.

I do recall one gas station that tried adding on $0.50 to my purchase for using a debit card. When I asked what that was, he told me it was to cover the credit card fees. I told him to cancel my purchase and I'd go elsewhere. The only place I know to have done that, and they ended up getting closed down because someone had filed a complaint to Visa or Mastercard and it violated their agreement, and had to pay some hefty fines. Aside from that, I usually see a "$5 minimum purchase" as well as "cash price/credit card price" for gas (usually about an 8 cent difference).

But you're right. I don't go into Best Buy, figure that I'm going to spend $14.95 + tax on a DVD, then get charged with a $2.75 hidden fee because they want the buyer to pay the paypal fees.

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:59:01 PM
milligangames (407)
(Patrick Milligan) < King Solomon >
New York
Almost everyone I deal with on NA asks me to pay the fees. What they don't realize is that it is actually quite common for PayPal accounts to be investigated and suspended due to taking or sending too many gift payments. I find the whole thing ridiculous because PayPal is a service that protects both the buyer and the seller for a really low fee. I think that it should be a rule that if people need extra $$ to cover fees, they have to just incorporate it in their selling price, and that any phrasing like "buyer must cover the PayPal fee" should not be allowed at all.

Feb 10, 2013 at 3:26:36 PM
ihavethatpma (324)
(Doombutt Jazzmouth) < Bowser >
Washington
It's bullshit when people demand it, especially after setting up a transaction for something without mentioning it beforehand. One guy even said...

"Send over $XX plus 4% for Paypal fees."
"Eh.. We never talked about that, and aren't the fees only 2.9%?"
"Yeah, but 4% is close enough."

No, fuck you.

Feb 10, 2013 at 3:28:36 PM
JJAAMMEESSNNEESS (332)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(James S) < Bowser >
California
i have been selling to people here for 4+ years and i never ask for fee money
and if they want to gift the funds thats fine

but i stay away from gifting and fees
im a seller and i should pay the fees for selling and knowing im safe

See how I made my way into the HOS!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Feb 10, 2013 at 4:22:32 PM
Ipsylos (25)

(Nintendrone ) < King Solomon >
Ontario
Yea,it's quite an irritant, especially the sellers who have the "gift payment or fuck off" type thing going on.

Feb 10, 2013 at 5:24:19 PM
ookii_risu (66)
(Tonya B) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
I agree. If you're a seller, just factor the percentage into your prices and accept goods payments. I don't get why this is such a big deal for some people.

When buying, just use common sense. Only gift to people you trust, or if you gift to a stranger, be prepared to lose the money if something goes wrong. Just because someone has 100+ feedback doesn't mean they are completely trustworthy, as we've seen recently. Steer clear of sellers who want you to gift or pay x%, and report sellers who blatantly ask for gift payments to Paypal.

Feb 10, 2013 at 5:38:02 PM
ThatNintendoGuy (47)
(Jason B) < El Ripper >
Michigan
I used gift option recently and I was still charged with the fee on Paypal whats the deal with that.