Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

SNES Monthly Contest: October - Super Ghouls n Ghosts and Street Fighter II (CLOSED) Winners - GhostofSparta & Andy_Bogomil

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:12:19 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Originally posted by: Ozzy_98

Originally posted by: user

You definitely keep your score after defeating M.Bison. This in both SNES editions, World Heroes and Turbo Hyper Fighting.
Definitely a 2 players game. In 1 player is awesome, but score system is kind of poorly performing for a contest:
- 2 perfect and one loss is more points than 2 victories including only 1 perfect;
- continue does not reset your score;
- how far you get means little.
Plus, the game allows infinite continues (well, an honor rule here to don't continue would easily solve the issue).

My two cents silly advice: ask for most possible "end screens", I mean, finish it with all characters (Ryu, Ken, Guile, ...) == 8 points (or 12 in Turbo), 7 characters == 7 points, and so on. Use the best game score (of each player) only as a tie breaker, in case within the month two players (or more) can finish the game with an equal number of different characters. Also, no continues allowed (now, the character you lack experience with, will be very tough!).

So, instead of updating the best score (well, also that for tiebreaker) the contestants add screen shots of other guys (or girl, ChunLi) with who they could finish up the game. And you keep track: Alan 4 (Zangief, Dalshin, Ryu, Honda, best score 557898); Bob 3 (Ryu, Ken, Guile, best score 567123); and so on... Also, I would suggest to set a reasonable difficulty level, but this depends on how many very strong players are out there.

For the records, I like the game, a lot. But I'm lights years away from a good single player challenger.
Heck! Defeat Bison on top level requires me several continues, especially with characters I'm less familiar with.

Well, just an idea!

According to your score, you continued 56 times

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:15:05 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
^___ in my defense:
1. long time not playing
2. level was pretty high
3. I was playing with a keyboard, no joystick, no joypad, and no cheats

So, well, I got smasjed several times.

And like I already claimed, I'm not definitely a master of this game.
I do like the game in 2p a lot for fun, and there is a psychological component in p vs. p which is missing in SP.  

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:19:25 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
And I posted the score screen shots just to show the OP that they are displayed after defeating M.Bison, and that you keep on increasing continuing the game after defeat.  

I was definitely NOT claiming that such scores would be part of the competition!

Actually, seen the strict rules of not round loss allowed, with a keyboard, it is out of question to get past few fights even in the best run, at least for me.  

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:35:52 PM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio

^___ in my defense:
1. long time not playing
2. level was pretty high

I do like the game in 2p a lot for fun, and there is a psychological component in p vs. p which is missing in SP.  

Don't worry wasn't calling you out of anything, just saying your score had "points of shame" as we called it.  Only valid scores should be ending in 00, since you can win one round, lose two, and continue for an infinite score.

For people wondering, you can bring someone to 0 life, and the points for your attacks will be 2,000 - 3,000 points.  In round points are very very low. 

When you win a round, the score is Time x 100, so that's a max of 9,900 and max life value is 15,000.  This doubles with a perfect round, so 30,000 life. So that's 836,000 for perfect rounds beaten in 0 seconds. Add in two bonus rounds, and anyone hitting 7 digit scores is 

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:43:49 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia

And I posted the score screen shots just to show the OP that they are displayed after defeating M.Bison, and that you keep on increasing continuing the game after defeat.  

I was definitely NOT claiming that such scores would be part of the competition!

Actually, seen the strict rules of not round loss allowed, with a keyboard, it is out of question to get past few fights even in the best run, at least for me.  
Yeah I gathered that's what you were doing, and appreciate it

-------------------------

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:46:23 PM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

Yeah I gathered that's what you were doing, and appreciate it

I do disagree with losing a single round.  It should just be no continues. Losing a round doesn't help inflate the score, and we can tell if people continue.  The only issue is if someone plays on lower than default difficulty, but you have that issue on most games. 

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:53:02 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil

^___ in my defense:
1. long time not playing
2. level was pretty high

Don't worry wasn't calling you out of anything, just saying your score had "points of shame" as we called it.  Only valid scores should be ending in 00, since you can win one round, lose two, and continue for an infinite score.

For people wondering, you can bring someone to 0 life, and the points for your attacks will be 2,000 - 3,000 points.  In round points are very very low. 

When you win a round, the score is Time x 100, so that's a max of 9,900 and max life value is 15,000.  This doubles with a perfect round, so 30,000 life. So that's 836,000 for perfect rounds beaten in 0 seconds. Add in two bonus rounds, and anyone hitting 7 digit scores is 
There are also bonus points for beating Balrog, Vega, Sagat and M. Bison with a perfect.
Perfects for Balrog, Vega and Sagat are 50,000 points, so 100,000 per fight there. For M. Bison, it is 80,000 for a perfect, or 160,000 points total.

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Oct 3, 2016 at 2:06:04 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
yeah i played some saturday. Got a perfect on balrog and got 50k. Wasnt aware it was more before that. I dont think I can beat vega and bison without losing a round.They become ridiculous round 2 after winning round 1 sometimes. Damn vega and his stupid downward jump kick. Just cant jump up for any attack to him. 

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 10/03/2016 at 02:07 PM by quest4nes

Oct 3, 2016 at 2:10:39 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
Why would losing a single round end your playthrough? Does he mean losing a single match, not round?

I agree with Ozzy, game only ends when your credit ends (lose a match) or you beat the game.

Oct 3, 2016 at 2:15:52 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
""Yeah I gathered that's what you were doing, and appreciate it""

Thanks, appreciated too.  

I just wanted to clear it out for everyone could maybe doubt "what the heck that image means?".

(for some reason I can't quote normally writing under the quote with the uncommon OS / obsolete browser on this machine that I'm using atm, sorry for the many consecutive posts).  

Oct 3, 2016 at 2:25:25 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Well, I will dust of the SNES tonight to give SF2 a run. It has been a really, really long time since I last did an all perfect run with good ol' Zangief, and even that was in Turbo.
This will be interesting. I am rather fond of Street Fighter and it will be just right to take part on this.

But there is no way I am playing on default settings. I will be changing the button mapping for sure.  

Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.

Oct 3, 2016 at 3:01:19 PM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
Originally posted by: quest4nes

yeah i played some saturday. Got a perfect on balrog and got 50k. Wasnt aware it was more before that. I dont think I can beat vega and bison without losing a round.They become ridiculous round 2 after winning round 1 sometimes. Damn vega and his stupid downward jump kick. Just cant jump up for any attack to him. 

Bison definitely lays it on thick in round 2. I'm did suggest not losing a round, but losing the match works for me. Whatever is the easiest way to tell someone hasn't continued which has been cleared up. 

So Brock will decide the difficulty (in my opinion should be 3 stars or higher), and it's until you lose the match (i.e. both rounds) and have to use a credit. This will be interesting as the game is short which will allow a lot of tries in a relatively short amount of time. Never played it for score myself. 

Wii U Collection Status: 160/161. Just Dance 2018. 

Oct 3, 2016 at 3:02:07 PM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

Well, I will dust of the SNES tonight to give SF2 a run. It has been a really, really long time since I last did an all perfect run with good ol' Zangief, and even that was in Turbo.
This will be interesting. I am rather fond of Street Fighter and it will be just right to take part on this.

But there is no way I am playing on default settings. I will be changing the button mapping for sure.  

I also agree about button mapping being allowed. 

Oct 3, 2016 at 3:09:00 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
So no-one has a problem with the end condition being losing a "match" (as in getting the continue screen)?  I can take a closer look at that scoring tonight.

And yes, button mapping is fine

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Edited: 10/03/2016 at 03:13 PM by Brock Landers

Oct 3, 2016 at 3:22:05 PM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio

What do you change?  I have to flop HK & HP.  

I'm going to be starting out this month with two (minor) disadvantages.  My main system I play this on is my mamecab, but it died a while ago.  So I went to play it on my snes....

Turns out I own half a street fighter 2 cart.  Well, more like 1/3, the front half of the shell. Forgot about that. So it'll be PSP WHY THE FUCKING HELL DID YOU JUST JUMP for me. 

Oct 3, 2016 at 3:27:19 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil

What do you change?  I have to flop HK & HP.  

I'm going to be starting out this month with two (minor) disadvantages.  My main system I play this on is my mamecab, but it died a while ago.  So I went to play it on my snes....

Turns out I own half a street fighter 2 cart.  Well, more like 1/3, the front half of the shell. Forgot about that. So it'll be PSP WHY THE FUCKING HELL DID YOU JUST JUMP for me. 

I have been using a very specific mapping since I first got the game back in 1992.
I use the following:
b - weak punch
a - strong punch
l - medium punch
x - weak kick
y - medium kick
r - strong kick

It just clicks naturally for me this way.

Now, I am not sure I will be taking part in Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts.
I despise how slow the game plays. You press jump, go brew a pot of coffee, enjoy it, come back to press jump again in time to do the double jump there. It is just not fun.

Edited: 10/03/2016 at 03:29 PM by Bea_Iank

Oct 3, 2016 at 3:52:59 PM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
Guess I'll go first, 750,200:

And a bit of proof that I played it on default difficulty levels:

Also proves my phone sucks at low-light pictures. 

Oct 3, 2016 at 5:13:06 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Gods, what the heck is wrong with this game?  
It is much slower than I remember, and what the heck is going on with Gief's attack and hurt boxes.
I guess I am way too used to Turbo Hyper Fighting speed and I am rusty as hell. XD

I got a 284,900 score that I won't even post, because it is too embarrassing.
I got my shapely butt handed to me by Guile at the 6th fight after starting it with a perfect.
But the month has just begun. There is more than enough time to master the AI with good ol' 'Gief before the month ends.  

Oct 3, 2016 at 5:34:35 PM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
This game is brtually slow. I remember it being bad, but not this bad. Only exception seems to be Vega prancing around.

Does Vega have a single frame where you can hit him after he recovers? Unbelievable...

Edited: 10/03/2016 at 05:36 PM by Andy_Bogomil

Oct 3, 2016 at 5:49:08 PM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
I ended up with 658,500 after my third time through (lost on Vega twice and barely beat him the 3rd time). Will provide pics once I get a bit better and improve my score. I did have a number of perfect rounds, but way less than ideal.

Oct 3, 2016 at 6:03:25 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Yes, on SNES World Heroes is way slower than Hyper Turbo.
If this could cheer you up, I had to play the PAL version.

And yes, Zangief inputs in Hyper are way more rational.

Now, I used ChunLi (and Guile) because with a keyboard it is impossible to pull out an arc move. In FFVI you can do D->D->R to mimic D->D+R->R; not here. So, ChunLi D+U and Guile holdD+U and holdL+R were the only moves I could reasonably pull out once every two attempts on a keyboard.

I see the first score here was made with the China girl as well, I guess partially because of the lightning kicks for bonus stages, easy to make a perfect inlittle time: yayayayayaya. Also, ChunLi means two perfect guaranteed vs. Zangief: left margin, jump back, strong kick; repeat; and the Russian guy is gone. Any other specific reason that I missed for an higher score?

Zangief strong kick mid air is tough weapon, plus many catches, and the (3 punch in Turbo) rotating move avoiding fireballs is quite expected.

However, to be honest, I was expecting to see Ryu or Ken used, and likely Guile, Blanka and Honda too, rather than ChunLi and Zangief: in world heroes Chun Li lacks projectiles (and mid air moves are less controllable), while Zangief have worst moves buttons combos and seems weaker too, compared to the Turbo version of the Russian wrestler. I wonder if any will use Dalshin: underestimated, but still, he is complicated to use, and even in Turbo the teleport move is too much random to be a valuable thing. I doubt is very good for this challenge.

Ruy and Ken in World Heroes are (arguably?) the safest bet to win the game on my books. Still, this contest is about making many points (i.e. many perfects), not just finishing the game, so there are likely reasons to pick another fighter rather than one of the two judo/karate guys.

Which are they?  

Oct 3, 2016 at 6:05:24 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Using Dhalsim or Guile is pretty much cheating here. They are god tier in this game.  
As for me, it is 'Gief, Boxer, Sagat or nothing.

Oct 3, 2016 at 6:06:51 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
"I had to play the PAL version..."
...back in 199x when it was published on cart.  
I could of course use the NTSC version for the emulation test posted few posts here above.

Oct 3, 2016 at 6:37:26 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
What pisses me off is that guile with computer can flip kick up without even freaking crouching. So you can jump over him half the time.

I think chun li is the easiest character to use.

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Oct 3, 2016 at 6:50:13 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
^__ no doubts about ChunLi the easiest to learn: fast, not complex moves, instinctive action. Also, fun to play.
However, as soon as you get trained enough to do arc moves, Ryu and Ken are stronger choices IMHO, and this especially in World Heroes.
But again, it is probably player related: Dalshin was considered the weakest within my friends since too slow to do anything, however I liked it over few other options and finished the game with Dalshin before finishing it with Ryu or Ken, few posts above a member is stating that Dalshin is, tied with Guile, the strongest option! But this somehow makes sense: it is bit more "technical" to use, so learn a bit to leverage it, it gives you nice options; wanna go yayayaya and it doesn't work.

Just my two cents!