Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

The Bits of Yesterday is now available on Amazon Prime!

Jul 17, 2018 at 3:12:26 PM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: Ferris Bueller

Originally posted by: TDIRunner

I'm a little curious if any of the collectors interviewed were members here that I talk to on a regular basis. Obviously I recognized Dain and all of the YouTube personalities, but for some of the other collectors, I don't know many people's personal names, so I wasn't sure.

I was wearing my NA hat.    

Of course now it's not fresh enough in my head to remember who that was.  

I bitch about Stadium Events, if that helps.
Meh.  I don't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, let alone who I watched in a documentary a month ago.    

I'll probably watch it again sometime though.  

-------------------------

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Jul 17, 2018 at 3:26:51 PM
D~Funk (81)
(David Qualls) < Master Higgins >
Oregon

I'm a little curious if any of the collectors interviewed were members here that I talk to on a regular basis. Obviously I recognized Dain and all of the YouTube personalities, but for some of the other collectors, I don't know many people's personal names, so I wasn't sure.

I was wearing my NA hat.    

Of course now it's not fresh enough in my head to remember who that was.  

I bitch about Stadium Events, if that helps.

You shoulda been sitting on your Dragon Warrior throne!  

"Thats what i am, i'm just a grumpy guy with a big nose."

Nov 29, 2018 at 9:16:31 AM
Yup (4)
< Crack Trooper >
Florida
OK, I just watched this last night. First off, nice work!

This really made me think about the hobby and my timing of picking it up. I would say I'm probably 80% nostalgia driven (only looking of loose carts so I can play them and I grew up in the 80's with NES) and 20% pure collecting. Yes, I would love a SE but the two biggest hurdles for me right now are Gun-Nac and Samson, just because I've heard from several people that they're great games while SE is basically unplayable. The film also shed a huge light on the fact that at about 100 NA NES carts, I am WAY behind the ball. It'll be fun to take a few years to try to get the set but one thing that I really found interesting was the talk about the prices rising. Since I only started this earlier this year, the prices are the prices for me. I know a lot of you guys have been doing this forever and have seen them skyrocket but that's not the perspective of someone new. There's a part of me that wishes that the film had someone maybe a year into it just to talk about how much there is to learn about repros, 3 vs. 5 screw, etc. before you even buy just to show the gap in the learning curve between them and the real collectors.

Nov 30, 2018 at 11:43:15 AM
daillest (225)
(Joe ) < Lolo Lord >
Pennsylvania
Watched it last night. It pretty much summed up the last 20 years of my life lol. Good work.
Dain was teasing me me showing off all those newsletters!

My Wanted to Buy/Trade Thread
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...

My Ebay Listings
http://www.ebay.com/sch/daillest/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&a...

Mar 26 at 8:39:35 AM
fox (15)
(Gunslinger Fox) < King Solomon >
United States
This is pretty much NA in film form. Not just why there wasn't much more Buzz here.

The best part is the first 20 min, hearing about some person stories about how people got into gaming and collecting was pretty touching. After that it feels like a greatest hits of NA topics: Lots of the topics on pricing, complete sets, scummy resellers, finders keepers, and more are covered.

I would agree with what another member here said, there isn't really a central narrative and there are way too many characters to keep track of and we don't spend enough time with any of them to get too attached. It mostly just bops from topic to topic in a talking head format with a transitional skit now and then.

It does kind of lack any visual flare. I know this is a low/no budget passion so there wasn't a ton of money or graphics or b-roll, but there are way too many boring shots of just "talking head in front of shelf of games." Even when there is a chance to show something more interesting like mega collector John Hancock (or whatever his name was) and his massive collection of games, we don't see either, instead we just hear about it while staring a totally different shmuck smoking a cig on his porch. Show us, don't just tell us. A bit tighter editing would have went a long way.